• Published 8th Jan 2012
  • 3,013 Views, 100 Comments

The Revival of a Heart - TheMessenger



One man's mistake becomes Equestria's foundation. The destruction of one world forms and bring hope to another. Can the Elements of Harmony restore the remains of a broken heart? How can you explain friendship to one who lost everything to

  • ...
9
 100
 3,013

PreviousChapters Next
Beautification Through Pain

Beautification Through Pain

The Ponyville local spa was sometimes referred to as an oasis in a desert of insanity. Here, exhausted ponies could sit back and relax from a hard day of working and avoiding party related disasters or lightning bolts from a careless grey Pegasus. Yes, as peaceful it usually seemed, life in Ponyville was far from a bed of roses and the spa provided many stressed mares and an occasional donkey with a relaxing distraction.

That's not to say the spa was protected from the chaotic consequences of the outside world. No, this little establishment had its own set of adventures. Who could forget the complete devouring of the facility by a swarm of adorable yet destructive sprites? And then was there was the day after Spike's birthday, where the baby dragon swept half of the entire block away with his tail. And then there were Pinkie Pie's occasional sessions. And when Rarity ran into the spa weeping with green hair. And Hairity. Mustn't forget the Cutie Mark Crusaders Hairdressers either. Or when Lotus and Aloe barely avoided going out of business after the introduction of a fully-automatic magic-powered massager by two very smooth talking, both whom were currently undergoing physical therapy after their product's demonstration neatly snapped their spines in two.

So as surprised as Aloe and Lotus were when their highly esteemed patron dragged a dusty grey stallion by the tail into the spa, both remained professional and rather unfazed. Personally, Lotus found "Hairity" and the rest her friends after a dose of Poison Joke far more disconcerting.

"I could have walked," the grey Unicorn grumbled.

"Darling, I've seen you trot and I'm just going to say that you need practice. Much practice. Besides, this was faster."

Rarity turned to Aloe at the receptionist post. "I know this isn't my usual time but I hope you can squeeze my friend in soon. We have a dire situation on our hooves and I trust only the two of you to remedy it."

Without even glancing at the schedule, Aloe began to nod. Even if the day was fully pack, which it wasn't (no giant disasters to recover from), the pink pony would have done everything possible to accommodate for Rarity; the fashionista's visits made up a great portion of the spa's business after all.

"Ze regular for ze zir?" Aloe asked, waving to her blue coworker to begin preparations.

Rarity thought for a moment before shaking her head. "No, this is bigger problem than you can imagine. Give him the deluxe."

"...Your regular iz ze dulexe."

"Then give him the next level. No wait!" Rarity looked back to the stallion who had finally gotten back onto his feet. "Give him the highest, most potent treatment you have."

Aloe gasped and almost fell back. "You don't mean, ze über-urlaub? Can he handle it?"

Rarity bit her bottom lip. "If that's what he needs, then yes, he will handle it."

Aloe called Lotus over and whispered frantically. Occasionally, they'd look over their shoulders toward Ash who had been flipping through some of the magazines in the waiting area. With a final nod, Lotus went out to prepare for Ash's spa session while Aloe prepared the release forms. It was a good thing Ash couldn't read Equestrian.

*****

The spa door swung open and in stepped Twilight, Spike, and a reluctant Rainbow Dash. Rarity looked up from her tabloid.

"Where's Ash?" Twilight asked.

Rarity tilted her head to the door leading to the main spa facilities. "I think they've just begun the massage."

"Massage?" inquired Rainbow Dash. "I thought he just needed a bath."

Rarity chuckled. "Oh dear Rainbow Dash, one does not simply take a bath at the spa. Ash was in need for far more than a simple soak in the tub."

The cyan-coated Pegasus shook her head. "You're nutty."

"I'm nutty? Tell me, what wild stunts have you pulled off this week."

"I kind of have to agree with Rainbow Dash this time," Twilight quickly interjected. Rarity gave her an astonished look. "I mean, don't you think your overreacting a bit."

"Not at all!" Twilight blinked. "Okay, maybe a little..." the white Unicorn admitted. "But you saw how dirty he was. Didn't you see all the dust he kicked up."

"We saw you drag him through Ponyville on the dusty road," Twilight responded flatly. "Look, I understand you're concerned for Ash's, uh, well-being but think of how he feels right now. This was his first time going through Ponyville as a pony and ponies were still staring at him. You heard him last night: he's afraid of being completely isolated and if his Human identity gets out..."

"I don't think that's gonna be a problem." Spike tossed the latest issue of the Daily Kazoo over to the purple Unicorn. On the front page was the image of the library with purple lights streaming through the curtained windows. At the top was the title: ET Gone Home?.

"Rumors of Hairless Ape an extra-terrestrial confirmed? Sent back to home planet via spell. Princess Celestia unavailable for comment..." Twilight read aloud. "More on Equestrian-Alien relations with Gaitgio Trotkalo on page twelve?" The purple Unicorn shook her head. "I can't tell what I'm more amazed at: the speed at which the media comes to it's conclusions or how inane and silly their conclusions tend to be. Who believes this stuff anyway?"

"I dunno," Spike said. "Ash kinda is an alien. He's from other world and everything."

"Besides," Rainbow Dash added as she peered over Twilight's shoulder to read the magazine, "now that everypony thinks Ash went home, he'll have nothing to worry about. Nopony's gonna even consider he's a Human if they all think he flew off to some distant planet."

"Sure, nopony's going to have suspicions now but remember this morning?" Twilight argued. "If Ash ends up transforming back into a Human while there are plenty of ponies watching, it won't matter what they thought before." Twilight.turned to the entrance leading to the jacuzzi and massage stations. "I hope this little trip doesn't end in a disaster. We don't need a headline around the lines of 'Hairless Ape Begins Invasion at Spa, Ponies Evacuate Screaming, Mass Panic Ensues'."

"That's one giant headline."

"I'm an intellect, Spike, not a gossip writer."

A sudden scream echoed throughout the building.

*****

"Hold still."

Lotus twisted Ash's head the other direction. This time only a small whimper escaped, barely audible over the resounding crack. Everything all of a sudden went numb.

"There." Lotus dropped Ash's heavy head back onto the bench. Even if there hadn't been a pillow, he doubt he would have felt the impact.

The blue spa pony clicked her tongue as she repositioned Ash's limp limbs. "Ou, zer iz so much tension an stress. Miz Rarity was right; you vere in need of ze über-urlaub an quite badly." The grey stallion lamely attempted to respond with a groan muffled by his pillow. Lotus apparently heard "continue please" as she proceeded to pound away at her client with lightning speed. Her hooves were wrapped in bandages so to protect them from the blows they were giving. It was a wonder why Lotus didn't have a boxing cutie mark on her flank. Barrage after barrage of blows showered Ash's limp body.

Amazingly, Ash did not complain; one could argue that with a twisted neck and disfigured nervous system he couldn't. However, even if he had the ability, Ash would not have stopped the masseuse. To the observer, it appeared that Ash was being given the biggest beat-down of the century. To Ash, he was being given the greatest massage in all of history. Lotus' blows felt like gently fingers, rubbing against his hard aching back, his stiff neck and shoulders. Ash felt himself loosening, feeling more and more relaxed. Sores and aches he hadn't known he had were being healed.

The grey stallion's face lit up with a silly smile. The perfumes in the air combine with Lotus' "relaxing" massage were beginning to make him fell drowsy, despite his best efforts to remain otherwise.

"Vat have you been doing to have so much tension?" Lotus asked as she rested her hooves for a minute.

Stuck on a tree for two thousand years with a sword in my gut. You try it and see how much stress you get. "Mmm, mmm."

Lotus expected as much of an answer and continued.

Ash groaned but in ecstasy instead of pain or frustration. Heaven...Don't stop, don't ever stop...

Aloe entered the room with a cart of salts and a huge variety of soaps and shampoos as well as a number of large scrubs and sponges. Lotus gave her a nod.

"Bath time."

"Mmph?"

Ash opened his eyes just in time to be treated to a low flying bird's eye view of a large steaming hot tub before gravity kicked in and kicked him into the water. The minerals burned his eyes and the water burned his lungs. Feeling suddenly returned as did pain and Ash struggled to the surface.

Gasping and choking, Ash splashed through the surface and hung to the pool's edge. It never occurred to him to try to stand up.

Ash looked up. Aloe stood over him with a giant scrub in her mouth. Lotus stood to the side pouring an entire bottle of gel into the pool. A large scrub laid next to her. Both wore looks that could have either been of pity or of sadism. Both were directed at the sorry soggy Unicorn.

"What, what's goin--"

Aloe pushed Ash back under and held him there for a few moments. When she allowed him back up for air, both she and Lotus attacked him furiously with the brushes, scrubbing him everywhere much to chagrin and embarrassment.

"I can do that myself! Hey, not there! What are--" Aloe shoved him back under. Bubbles broke the surface as she shook her head.

You'd think he would have gotten use to the process after the third repetition through.

*****

"What's going on in there?" At first, Twilight was concerned but after the third round of screaming, the purple pony was getting annoyed. Her hunger may have contributed to her current state.

"I'm sure it's nothing," Rarity reassured and after repeating herself for a third time, the seamstress was beginning to believe herself.

Rainbow Dash meanwhile paced nervously, torn between her aggressive and head nature and her extreme discomfort with the resort's interior. A soak in the hot tub was tolerable, enjoyable even, but the sight of those massage beds, even the notion of receiving such a treatment made the normally unshakeable pony shudder.

Spike had fainted a while ago from hunger. Although Twilight had given him permission to leave the stubborn dragon refused to leave Rarity's side. Such a demonstration of loyalty was impressive even by Rainbow Dash's standards, though everypony saw it as a bit silly. Nopony bothered noting that they were essentially doing the same thing for Ash.

That is, until Twilight's stomach began to roar. Rainbow Dash interrupted her pacing to laugh only for her mirth to be interrupted by the rumble of her own empty belly.

Twilight sighed as she took a look at the clock. "It's already noon. Lunchtime."

Spike leaped up. "Lunch?"

Rarity put her magazine done. "They must be done soon. Let's wait a little long."

Try as he might, poor Spike could not hide the sad and sorry look on his face as he fell back. "No lunch..."

"No." Rainbow Dash faced the door leading to the main resort. "No more waiting. I'm bustin' him outa there!"

"Wait, Rainbow Dash!" Twilight prepared to pull her reckless friend back but the rainbow-maned Pegasus was already heading the other direction, away from the door. In mid-flight, it appeared she had lost her nerve.

"I can't be seen in there," bemoaned Rainbow Dash. "Not in there. What would ponies say? No." The Pegasus quickly steeled herself. "I can do this. I can do this. In and out, ten easy seconds, nopony'll see or know." She took a few reassuring deep breaths. "I can do this."

"Do what?"

Rainbow Dash look up from her personal pep talk. Ash stood in front of her, already out.

The grey stallion seemed to shine. His grey coat was now well groomed, now a more silver color. His mane no longer fell over his eyes and was styled much like that of a royal guard.

Rarity nodded her head in approval. "See darling? Look what wonders a simple spa treatment can have."

"Simple?" Ash snorted, shaking his head, disrupting the mane's organiztion.

"Y, y, you're," Rainbow Dash managed to say through an irregular stutter. "They ruined you!"

"Huh?"

"Look at you! You're freaking sparkling! That silly mane styling! What happened to the guy that helped me fight off that giant smooze?" The Pegasus fell to her hind legs and screamed to the celling. "What have they done?"

Twilight shook her head as the spa Aloe and Lotus clicked their tongues in annoyance. If Rainbow Dash was trying to get herself banned from the spa resort, she was doing a fabulous job. Both turned their attentions to Rarity who had offered to pay for Ash's treatment, though after seeing the price, Aloe and Lotus doubted even the Element of Generosity would be willing to take the bill. As much a valued customer Rarity was, the spa couldn't afford to give her a giant discount. The über-urlaub was expensive; volcanic ash from live, active volcanos sure isn't cheap.

"How do you feel?" the purple Unicorn asked.

"I feel..." Ash hesitated glanced quickly over to the two attendants. Both were busy being paid handsomely for their services. He was going to have to pay the white mare back eventually, one way or another. "I feel violated." He shook violently. "I have been scrubbed in places you wouldn't want to imagine, gotten more familiar with mud than I've ever thought possible. And then the live eels for seaweed wrap--"

"Okay, okay, I think I've got the idea. Wish I hadn't." Twilight shook her head in an attempt to rid her mind of images. "Eels huh? I think I've read enough to know where that's going."

"Enough what?"

"...Just enough." Twilight turned to her friends. "Ready to go?"

"Thought you'd never ask," and with that, Rainbow Dash zoomed out of the building, leaving a trail of rainbows.

Rarity nodded. "Though I'm going to have to stop by the shop to pick up more money for lunch."

Spike jumped up. Drool dripped from his mouth unaware.

"Lunch?"

PreviousChapters Next