• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 4,179 Views, 88 Comments

History - Derpity

  • ...
7
 88
 4,179

The Species

Chapter 2: The Species

Princess Celestia sat on her throne at the end of the day, reading through decree proposals, adjustments and new ideas as well. The papers slid across one another producing a calm, soothing whisper, despite the boring contents that reside on them. She slowly set the papers down and looked out a window facing the sun.

"It is time to set, my friend," she said quietly as she focused her magic on the sun. She gave it a little nudge, just to push it over the horizon, it could find it's way on it's own once it had been touched by Celestia's magic. Before the sun vanished for it's brief rest, Celestia watched, enjoying the sunset with it's vibrant reds and cheerful oranges and yellows.

Celestia watched as the sky slowly went from the hot, fiery colors of day, to the cool, calming, essence of night. The stars aligning with the reflections of distant planets to form great and wondrous images across the night sky. She walked over to the window and stood looking at her sister's night, admiring it's beauty.

She must have been standing there for quite some time, because Luna had made her way to the throne room from her chambers, where she preferred to make her movements of the sky.

"You should rest now sister, you have made enough progress on decrees, you deserve a good night's sleep." Luna walked over to Celestia and stood with her at the window.

"Your night is very beautiful, Luna" Celestia said in admiration.

"Thank you, sister. Your day is quite stunning as well."

The royal sisters stood together, looking at the sky. They shared a glance at one another, a smile, and a hug. Luna then began her walk to the throne as Celestia began her trip toward her chambers.

"Sleep well sister." Luna wished toward her sister as the throne room's door closed behind her. For a few moments Luna sat on the throne in the "proper and sophisticated way a princess should sit" before laying across the armrests and pulling up a Gamecolt Advance with her magic.


The doors to Celestia's chambers opened in the aura of her magic, letting her in and shutting gently behind her. She looked around, observing the details of her room. The soft pillows on the floor, along with the desk nearby basking in the low, calming glow of the fireplace. The large glass doors leading to her balcony that harbored the majestic view of Canterlot in it's nighttime essence, the various paintings hanging on the walls, hoof painted by her accomplished art students, and some very magnificent paintings of stars that Luna did in fillyhood. Then her eyes fell upon her bed. The white sheets with a fluffy white trim, reminding her of clouds, Celestia hadn't been on a cloud in a long time, the last time she had been...

Celestia sighed, she really had to stop doing this, every time it was time to sleep she would start thinking of ridiculous things, as if she needed to keep her mind busy.

She refocused on the task at hand, bed. She closed her eyes and began to slowly walk toward her bed. She could feel the stress of the day, gently peeling itself off of her coat with each step she took. She gave a deep breath after walking a very precise number of steps, the exact number of steps that it always took to get to her bed from her door. She chuckled slightly by the fact that she had memorized it, when it truly didn't matter whatsoever.

A mere moment before she climbed into her bed, Celestia felt a sudden warmth in front of her face. She opened her eyes to find a letter placed on her bed. A subtle smile came across her lips as she picked it up and walked over to the fireplace to read it.

"A nice letter from Twilight will help me rest easy." She said aloud to herself while opening the letter.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I have borrowed a book from the Crystal Empire Library about the history of Equestria, there are some topics within it that I would wish to ask you about at your nearest convenience, not that it is an emergency, by any means, it just simply intrigues me. There is a species that the book refers to that I have never heard of, and I would greatly appreciate it if you could possibly help me with research or possibly elaborate on the subject if you can.

Thank you

Your Faithful Student,
Twilight Sparkle

The princess smiled as she re-rolled the scroll and stood from her seat among the fireplace. She walked over to the desk and opened the drawer that she kept all of Twilight's letters in. It was now bigger on the inside, due to the amount of letters she had started receiving from Twilight since she had moved to Ponyville.

"Heh, 'Bigger on the inside.'" She chuckled slightly, thinking of a certain stallion that would get a kick out of that phrase. She placed the letter inside the "bigger" drawer and walked back to her bed, of course she would write a letter back to Twilight, but at that moment, she felt that if she tried to write anything It would look like something written by a pony from Saddle Arabia.


Celestia awoke, slowly lifting her eyelids to the view of her balcony. The sky was a deep, majestic, blue, with white stars adding to it's beauty. She observed the night sky briefly before calling upon her magic, fighting both her and the sun's desire to rest longer. She rose from her bed and stretched her limbs, front legs, back legs, wings, ending with slight tilts of her head left and right, quietly popping her neck. Her sleepy gaze fell upon the fireplace, the sight of which brought forth her memory of Twilight's letter from last night. The princess yawned as she walked slowly to her desk, where she withdrew a scroll and wrote her reply to Twilight.

My Dearest Twilight,

I would be delighted to help you in your research on this species, if you could just inform me on which date would work well with your schedule, I will be sure to make myself available to you, and please do not think that you are going to intrude on my scheduling, you have done plenty enough for me, the least I could do is be your 'study buddy'.

Sincerely,
Princess Celestia

The princess sent her letter on it's way and began her walk towards the dining hall.

"I could use some pancakes for breakfast, mmmmm, banana pancakes, even better."


Twilight rubbed the sleep from her eyes as she walked into the kitchen to find Spike cooking.

"Oh, hey there Twilight!" Spick said as he flipped a pancake. "I remembered that it's my week to cook, so I made us breakfast!" Spike held out a plate full of pancakes to Twilight. "I made your favorite, chocolate chip and banana!"

Twilight smiled while she took hold of the plate with her magic, she gently rubbed a hoof on Spike's head and gave the dragon a hug,

"You're so helpful Spike." She said as she sat down and took a bite of her pancakes. "Mmm! And a great cook too!" Twilight exclaimed with a smile. "That's why you're my number one assistant."

"Who." Owlowiscious said.

"Me." Spike replied.

Twilight gave a little giggle and continued eating her breakfast.

Spike brought over his own plate of pancakes, which happened to be a mix between sapphire and ruby, along with both his and Twilight's orange juice. "So what were you up so late for last night Twi? Were you doing some kind of report or somethin'?" He asked as he chewed on his pancakes.

"Actually, I was just reading this book about the history of Equestria. I got it from the Crystal Empire's library, so it's much older than any of the other books I've read." She replied before taking a drink of her juice.

"What about all those books you have that're from the Canterlot Archives? Those were wicked dusty when we picked them up to take 'em here."

Twilight Giggled, "Yes Spike, the documents in the Canterlot Archives are very old, but the heart of information used to be the Crystal Empire, all the books and scrolls and information of Equestria used to be kept there. When the empire disappeared, so did all that information." Twilight took a bite of her breakfast and thought about the subject more, "and Canterlot was built in between the time the Crystal Empire was gone and when it reappeared, and in that time Canterlot became the heart of Equestria." Twilight took another drink before continuing "The timeline of events is really quite fascinating, a lot of major events happened in relatively clo-"

"Twi, I didn't really want a history lesson with my breakfast." Spike said half joking.

"Heh heh, sorry Spike, I'll refrain from trying to educate you for a little while." Twilight said with a laugh.

"Good thinking." Spike replied with a chuckle. "Oh, Twilight! I forgot to tell you!" Spike ran off out of the kitchen and came back with a letter. "This came early this morning."


Princess Celestia finished reading Twilight's most recent letter and swallowed her bite of pancake. "Fine Stroke?" She called to the royal scheduler.

"Yes m'lady?" A unicorn mare with a white coat and her wavy blue mane put up in a very professional and neatly construed bun approached Celestia. Her cutie mark was a scroll and a quill setting in a ink bottle.

"If you could reschedule any events in my planner originally for this Saturday to some later date I would greatly appreciate it."

"Of course m'lady." Fine Stroke levitated a scroll in front of her and made some markings with a quill that originally rested behind her ear. "Do you have any preferences of what is rescheduled to where?"

"As long as it fits, it meets my standards." She replied with a smile.

Fine Stroke walked off, still writing on the same scroll as before.

Celestia continued eating her breakfast, enjoying the bits of banana embedded in the pancakes.

"That is quite a drastic scheduling change sister." Luna said before taking a drink of her milk. "Taking a day off?" She asked jokingly.

"Twilight is doing some research and requested my assistance."

"Excuse me for my bluntness, but as we both know, Twilight is a very skilled mare when it comes to research, why does she request your assistance?" Luna asked with a quizzical look.

Celestia smiled and took a bite of her pancakes. "She's been reading books from the Crystal Empire Library."

"Ahh, I see, do you know what species exactly she wants to research?"

"She was wondering abo-" Celestia thought for a moment, something wasn't right. Twilight didn't mention the species, did she? That's strange. Twilight isn't one to withhold information, and why hadn't Celestia asked what species it was? Shouldn't that have been her first question? "I... I'm not entirely sure.. She didn't say."

Luna nodded and continued eating. "Well she'll be here soon enough, and then we will know."

Celestia put the lack of knowledge of the species aside, as if the questions and suspicions had never been there before. But somewhere, somewhere deep in her mind, in her deepest thought that was being blocked by something she could not control...


she knew.

Author's Note:

12/28/12 1:11 AM
Well I did it. I said to myself that I was going to stay up until I finished typing this chapter and I did. I hope you get at least one laugh out of this chapter, because I tried to put come comedy in at some points. If you're only in it for the humans, I suggest you wait until chapter 3 or 4 is posted before you read (wait, is he giving us a possible spoiler)
So feel free to say how you think the fic is going so far, because compared to my other attempts, this has been the biggest success. I mean, 46 thumbs on one chapter may not seam like a lot to everyone, but to me it means that I possibly got something right this time.
I appreciate all of you taking the time to read, and give me feedback on this story, it means the world to me, thank you so much.

-Derpity
12/18/12 11:44 PM
Fixed "convenience", thank you i_am_the_jam.
12/18/12 1:13 PM
Fixed the extra "Pony", thank you FastShadow78.
1/6/13 3:21 PM
Fixed "Were", Thank you DF.
3/1/13 8:29 AM
Fixed I made us breakfast.
Fixed made some markings
Fixed Excuse me, Thank you macoman1