• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 727 Views, 2 Comments

Starlit Skies - The thieves masque - The_Other_Khorne



Meet Starlit Skies - thief, oddity, adopted brother, and new servant to the princesses themselves.

  • ...
 2
 727

Following

Within the heart of the royal archives the Raven King paced about the small, somewhat circular room that served as his quarters. Rather than actual walls and a cieling there were just the bookcases, arranged in such a fashion that instead of a crossroads there was just the circular area where he had laid claim. His hands were clasped behind his back, his head bowed and his wings furled painfully into a cape. His mind raced at the betrayal, the news having only just reached him and the messenger that had brought said news dispatched to bring him the magistratus Starlit Skies.

The sound of boot heels echoing throughout the mostly deserted halls caused him to startle and slip into the shadows that dominated the surrounging area, the overhanging lamtern that provided the only source of light there burning purple rather than its normal warm orange. Scarce moment later he reemerged, wings unfurled and clinging to the bookcase nearest the origin of the sound, watching as his guest entered.

-- -- -- -- -- --

"Starlit Skies?" the messenger, a pegasus named Chasseur, asked, landing just outside of a gaggle of disgruntled nobles leaving the night courtroom. The aforementioned servant looked at her inquisitively, an eyebrow raised as he waited for her to elaborate. She moved closer, away from the nobles, who looked at her scornfully before sloping away in their usual haughty manner "The Raven sent me to fetch you." at this Starlit's eyes opened in dull surprise

"What does he expect of me?" he inquired in turn, extricating himself from the wall and clasping his hands behind his back "Its about the incident in Ponyville, isn't it?" at the messenger's nod he sighed "Thought so. I take it he'll be joined by his usual council?" the messenger shrugged

"I don't know ser, I'm just a messenger." she answered, turning away from her fellow servant and spreading her wings "All I know is that he wants to speak with you, now." at this Starlit grunted quietly before spreading his own wings and taking flight, joining a small band of pegasi drifting through the upper echelons of the hallways.

-- -- -- -- -- --

The Raven King watched quietly from the shelf he was gripped onto as the large group who had just entered passed underneath him, one of them having conjured a flame in his hands, and was now leading the way towards his den. They were thirty in number, each one wearing a steel coloured kerchief barely visible in the darkness. The Raven King gave himself a slight smile as two more figures entered before slipping away into the shadows.

Moments later he was situated back in his quarters, a dorrway having opened in the floor, he himself having gone down it to await them in the caverns below the magnificent citadel. Each of his footsteps echoed as he headed deeper and deeper, towards the heart of the mountain, before turning away from what those under the Thief's Masque called the 'Crystal Caverns', instead leaving a lit torch outside of a large grate - a side pipe from the sewers.

Soon enough the group followed, and found themselves heading down a singular corridor down the thankfull dry pipe, before ending up outside of a finely carved door to the right of the tunnel, a simple sign reading our in prench 'Hermit's home'. They entered.

-- -- -- -- -- --

Starlit had never been so confused, not since the time he had managed to inhale a gas from a plant with halucogenic properties without actually realising he was breathing it in.

It was a quaint little bar, in the middle of a dried up sewer pipe, in the center of a mountain. His mind was all but shattered at how that worked, and yet he found it too...out of place.

And then the illusion shattered, and he found himself and the princeps he was accompanying, on the threshold of asimple square room, with nothing to it save thirty one chairs situated above shallow pit. It was what he saw occupying two of the chairs that spooked him.

Sat opposite each other were his master, the Raven King, and his employer. The legendary thief folded his wings, the silver tips of his feathers glinting briefl in the light, and he turned his head to face the newly arrived group

"Magister, Princeps."

Author's Note:

The appearance of Princess Luna is a continuation of the previous chapter's establishment of some form of connection between her and the Raven King. Again, this will be further expanded upon next chapter, along with the princeps names, appearances, and overall role in this...unusual hierarchy.

Once again, Starlit is left alone for the most part, but this is because he'll be speaking a good deal next chapter.

Also introducing the messenger, chasseur, as a favour for a friend.