• Published 10th Nov 2012
  • 688 Views, 1 Comments

Tales of a Millennium - Colt



Forgoten Legends and Stories from the world of Equestria.

  • ...
 1
 688

Entry III - The Perpetual Nightmare

Entry III – The Perpetual Nightmare

For you must know Magic is the life that runs through the structure of existence itself. From its wonders we can obtain day and night as well as bring rain down to our land. It has always feed our kind with its mighty and warmth touch helping us and delivering the livelihood that thousands of generations had on their days. It’s not a secret we have been blessed with this gift, and neither the glory it has shined on us, but as it nature dictates that same flow of life can become a torrent of despair within the wrong grasp.

What this words record is knowledge meant to be abolished from this world, the collective memory of the creation have almost lost its trace on behalf of itself, for the nature of this enchantments was never to be discovered, and yet the echoes of its consequences still resound on the day and night we all share under the sky.

This sorcery was born from fear itself. Harvested from the dread, created by the struggle of countless spellcasters, sages, sorcerers and wizards that despite generations or species have found their match on the everlasting judgment of death itself. Yes, one after another the wilders of magic have been able to weave the treads of creation itself, bending the laws of nature and tamed the cosmos movement itself; but none of them even with their transcendent might has been able to overcome their inherent end.

This was the origin for the Nightmare, The Perpetual Nightmare, the effort of countless warlocks driven by their own fear of nature itself brought to this land one curse that even the most unreachable beings fear.

There were times where the knowledge was lost or erased but it would seem that evil itself serves as the messenger of this wisdom of pain and curses. Finding new fertile soil in the minds of the confused erudite the seed of this sinful wisdom grow with their arrogance against the rules of life.

By scrolls, and records the masters of the magic have left behind the traces of their work, letting new scholars to start where their precursors left before meeting their final fate, each breed going further, each mage reaching farther. For each generation the excitement and invigoration grow and torn to madness as their fear of not being able to accept their own nature and left behind what they have achieved.

As records of the spells were captured on ink for the future, the root of the Nightmare can be traced down. Failed sorceries to stop the age of the caster were the first, and too obvious, attempts followed by rejuvenation and dead rising spells. Each mage was prompt to find an answer, to prove its divine superiority by finding the eternal life. But all and each one of them failed and faded in the never ending flow of time.

Many branches grew from that root. Some of them even brought chaos and calamity to their finders and the land. But the knowledge never stopped, jumping from life to life, traversing species and times, the records were growing and the wicked never halted their chase for glory and immortality.

One of those branches grew into the mind of one of the most gifted spellcasters the world has brought to life. Welkin Gazer was responsible for one of the brightest ages of magic after the great change. His work and wonders helped even the princes of the sun to overcome the duties of two deities by her alone. But as the years went by Welkin Gazer had to pay the toll of them, and his fear led him to live a double life that hid by in darkness of the night the overflowing shadow inside his aging heart.

By studding sinful scrolls from sources yet unknown, Welkin Gazer came across the theory that unifying the principles of dream waving magic with his mastery over the conception of time and his magical nature as a unicorn the path to endure ages by finding eternal slumber, and rising whenever he would consider would be at his feet.

Records of the wise unicorn based on this source, recount a spell capable of victimize a soul with a never ending dream. A dark fantasy overloaded with the most intimate fears and horrors the victim mind could craft. And according to Welkin Gazer journal on the matter “It would seem that the nightmare itself creates a malevolent being inside the dreams of the victim. Scheming the endless torture and assuring the suffering. ”

For years the mage master walked his days as a kind and wise scholar inside the walls of the rooms and halls where he imparted his wisdom to young horned students. By night he would run unspeakable experiments to dozens of his kin abducted, even some of his own apprentices, to bring him the ease from the disgust and fear mortality craved on him. His putrid knowledge source was tested with his skills as a master of the magic arts.

But the Nightmare was so much of a challenge for him. As his science grew by failure his ambition turned into madness and soon his daylight act was shattered by his own self turned into a unrecognizable monster that lost every ounce of will and self-control, desperate and hopeless he tried to consume the whole Canterlot Magic Academy into an endless sleep to find at least one test subject close to his desired outcome. This attempt was countered by the swift response of the stellar princes herself and her personal guard, the four corners.

With no option to flee and his sanity long lost Welkin Gazer cast his unfinished sorcery over himself succumbing in a slumber that lasted for a thirty nights and its days. But the slumber was far from what the old unicorn could expect, tormented by endless dreams of indescribable dread he woke up only to end his own life not being able to escape from the horrors created by his own magic and mind.

However the tragedy what that old fool of a mage brought to us, was far from over. Those who were victims of his dementia paid with unbearable hallucinations that haunted the few months of life that remained in them. Just a few of them were able to wake up from their terrorizing dreams just to die on a world that they were unable to see, listen or even feel. The records told that the pain, suffering and unavoidable loss of those innocent souls diminish the glow of the sun, for the ache the sacred mare felt inside her heart.

Ever since then the dream weaving magic has been forbidden among the pony kind, hated with such anger that the house of the sun and moon have chased down any wizard who have come close this principle. Still the original scrolls that ignited Welkin Gazer corruption were never to be found, and the sole nature of the magic wielders makes the search for immortality an unstoppable quest, for a mind overcome by arrogant fear is lost to a path away from the warm shine of light and hope .

As the record of the world knows the Perpetual Nightmare could live on in the dreams of a never coming dawn awaiting to occur.

But that is indeed a different tale...