• Published 7th Nov 2012
  • 914 Views, 6 Comments

Strobe - Ash_Kitsune



A self-insertion fic about what it means to find yourself, before it's too late.

  • ...
0
 6
 914

By-Poxy Boggards

Chapter Two: By-Poxy Boggards

“HO WHIP SHILLELAGH HANG SHILLELAGH BUCK DE DITTLE DEE! WELL HUNG BY THE GALLOWS TREE ME BOYS, WELL HUNG BY THE HIGH GALLOWS TREE!”

The rowdy, high spirited voices of the sailors echoed all through Manehatten from the pub on the docks, a popular hangout for the rougher crowd of the high life town and all who pass down into the lower end of the city. Tonight was a night for celebration, and nothing was quite like finally getting off of the boat and settling into a tavern to drink the night away, to hang out with friends with bits well earned and a mare on each side. Tonight was the night that the ECS Starbuck, The tenth ship of the Equestrian Royal Navy, had made port after nine months at sea, and a celebration was in order for the hard working sailors.

The cheer was infectious and spreading fast as cider, hard and soft, flowed from the barrels to awaiting mugs and mouths, salt served by the bowl as the bawdy stallions of the Starbuck did sing one song after another, laughing and pushing about as they prepared for their leave, to see their mares or stallions long not met, and to get to spend those bits so hard earned.

However, the celebration couldn't last forever, though try as they might, as the crew slowly started to calm and settle, drunk and tired from their days away, and slowly began to move to their beddings, unaware of the events so close to taking place.

The Starbuck might have been in port, but even then, a guard had been posted and a skeleton crew kept to keep watch of the boat before she could be put in dry dock for the tender care of the dockworkers, and while they were tried, they were pleased to serve in the Princesses names, and vigilantly stood about their duties as Luna's Night Sky and her Moon crested across the sky, shimmering brightly with each passing moment, making wistful sighs escape each lip as they look favorably to the sky that had guided them for their journey.

Commander Nightingale, the XO of the ship and a strong Pegasus stallion, was slowly roving his way through the bottom decks of the ship, frowning lightly as he had longed to return ashore to see his wife and babe, of whom he only had but one picture and two letters about, a babe of three months and a day. He yearned to charge across the lands to meet her in Ponyville, but duty came first, to the Princesses and the Crew.

He sighed softly as he made his way around the corner of the hold, glancing about for any forgotten cargo or equipment before he stood in shock and awe at the sight before him, before falling into a genuflection and the deepest bow he could muster, murmuring praises.

“M'lady, I am not worthy of your presence... Goddess Faust, my Queen.” He whispers, his lips dry, all thoughts of work or family gone from his mind in the presence of the Queen. A light smirk danced across the lips of the Goddess as she observed one of her Daughter's loyal guards bowing before her, bidding him to rise with a hoof.

“At ease, young Nightingale, and rise.” She coos softly. “You have worked hard and deserve your rest, but I have a task for you, should you listen.”

“Anything, M'lady.” The Commander said, standing upwards as strong and proud as he could, at attention and his ears swiveled forwards in strain to hear every word the Goddess spoke.

The Goddess's horn glowed softly as she carefully moved a small bundle from her back, lightly setting it upon the ground in front of the commander. “This is to be taken to my Daughter's castle immediately, spare no expense upon delivery, they will compensate you, you are to leave your post and fly as hard and as fast as you can without disturbing the package.” She says, her voice soft and kind, filling Nightingale with a powerful desire to protect the package that the Goddess asked to be delivered to the Princesses as he saluted, barking out, “Yes Ma'am!” with pride that a task of such importance would be given to him.

The Goddess bowed her head, and her horn glew yet again, a scroll appearing before the strong stallion, along with what appeared to be a specially made saddlebag, including a carefully crafted bag for the package.

Nightingale almost tripped over himself in his hurry to collect the saddlebags, in a rush to begin his duty, only to be halted by a soft hoof upon his shoulder, making him shiver and calm as he looked into the Goddess's eyes.

“Calm about you Commander, do not fail me, fly swift and may the winds protect you.” The Goddess whispered before lightly laying her horn upon his head and vanishing.

Taking scroll in hoof and gently lifting his package into the saddlebag, settling it with an air of reverence, the proud stallion drew calm breaths and he strode up from the hold, his wings spreading wide as he stepped to the deck.

“Sir! Where are you going?! We're on Duty for the crown!” One of the watch yelled, looking at the Commander in shock as he strode from the ship, walking down the gangplank, blinking in confusion. “W-wh... where did you get that saddlebag?” He says, looking confused at the unusual saddlebag that Nightingale carried.

“Faust herself.” Was all the Commander answered as he sprung from the gangplank and into the night sky, his wings pulled aloft by the winds of the sea as they bore him onwards... to Canterlot.

----/----

The flight was long, and true to the Goddess's words, the winds protected and guided Nightingale through the long flight. His wings ached and his body felt beaten by the long, steady flight, but he would not be denied of his duty as he flew into Canterlot, the sun cresting over the horizon as fellow guardstallions flew up to meet him.

“Halt! This is Restricted Airspace, you must land immediately!” One of the Guard snorted, moving to intercept the Commander before he was lightly knocked away from his course by his fellow, who noticed the rank.

“Commander, what are you doing here? The Equestrian Crown Ship Starbuck landed but a fortnight ago.” The older soldier said quietly as the Commander was forced to hover.

“I have my duty and my orders. I am to report to the Princesses and the Princesses alone... I bring a message from the Queen.” Nightingale whispers, the strain on his body from the night-long travel all but sapping his ability to speak.

The older guardstallion gasped and growled to his younger companion. “Corporal! Best speed to the palace! Prepare a landing zone for the Commander and get the Royal Guard to report to the Princesses that a messenger was sent from the Queen!”

The younger stallion, lightly bemused by all of this, saluted and took off as the older stallion supported the tired Nightingale, who slowly shook him off. “I have to do this.” The commander whispered, to receive and understanding nod from the Guardspony.

“Yes Sir. Allow me to Escort you to the palace.”

The last leg of the trip through Canterlot's sky was a almost unbearable task for the stallion sailor, who dipped lightly only to regain altitude as the landing zone came in sight, only to land unsteadily and clumsily, stumbling as he fought to regain his balance, swaying before coming still, and raising his hoof in salute.

The Princesses were there, as were several members of their Royal Guard, all looking on in awe and curiosity at the Commander as he bowed and carefully removed his saddlebags and set them down before the princesses, pulling the scroll from the bag and presenting it to them.

“M-*coughCOUGH*” The stallion began to spoke, only to be brought short by lack of breath as he forced air out and then back into his lungs, panting from exertion. “M-m'lady... message... and package... f-from the Queen... herself.” He whispered, watching only long enough for Celestia to take it in hoof before nodding, finally allowing his body to give in as he slumped, exhaustion taking him.

Celestia and Luna stood by as the guards quickly gathered up their fallen Commander, carefully taking him for medical attention, the stallion resting with deep breath as the daughters of the Goddess looked to one another with high nerve before taking up the saddlebags.

“We... wish to be left be.” Luna's voice was almost a whisper, which was more of a shock from the alicorn mare then her normal tone of that, the Royal Canterlot Speaking Voice. The few Guards that remained parted and left the Princesses as they strove to Celestia's private chambers swiftly, their hooves the only sound in the emptied hallways.

“What does this mean, Sister? Tis not often that... m-mother would send for us.” Luna whispers, shaking with anticipation.

“I don't know.” Celestia responds, biting her lip softly. “But... we will soon find out.”

----/----

It was a simple task to steal away to Celestia's private chambers with the saddlebags carefully held by Luna, not a single soul there but the princesses and the package as the door swung shut and locked with Celestia's magic, wards of great power lancing to life almost immediately as Luna softly deposited the package upon the bed.

Celestia breathed quietly. Something from their mother! Not just -anypony-, but the Goddess Faust, the Queen, Herself. This was not only rare and highly unusual, but so very, very important, and made Celestia shiver lightly out of impatient anxiety, wanting to see or hear what her mother had sent to them by that poor Commander who was soon going to be at rest in the hospital wing of the castle.

Luna carefully opened the saddlebags, softly pulling the bundle from the bags, and marveled at them aside her sister as they looked at it with curiosity growing.

The bundle itself was nothing special, soft silk wrapped carefully, as if to protect something, that would come undone at the lightest tug, yet was tight enough that it could be lifted and carried on its own. The curiosity overwhelmed the princesses as they carefully undid the bundle, letting it fall open before them, only to feel... warmth, true warmth, their mother's embrace, wash over them. The package unraveled to reveal a letter and a softly pulsating crystal, a diamond of the purest nature, the size of a young foal.

The letter was hastily snatched up by Celestia, who opened up the scroll and coughed lightly before reading in a slightly shaky voice. “To my Daughters, whom I love with all of my heart... It has been far too long since last we spoke, but my power upon Equestira's soil has languished during my time away, guiding and protecting the cosmos, and I was unable to manage the distance to Canterlot myself. For this, you have my apologizes...”

“Oh mother...” Luna whispered, “You don't need to apologize to us...” She softly presses against Celestia, seeking the comfort of her elder sister's wing, whom gave it as she continued to read, her voice lightly choked with emotion.

“T-this package, which I have sent to you, is a very important package, and is to be treated with the utmost care. I know you both remember your studies, and know that what you behold is the heart crystal, the soul, of a very pure and honest individual, forged in a life of burden and hardship. My request to you, my daughters, is to determine what to do with this individual, for her destiny shall shape that of the coming years of Equestria. You will know her at the touching of her soul, and know of what she must do. I trust you, my daughters, with this decision, to decide her fate, for no matter whom she shall be, nor race she shall be, her task and quest shall be hard and winding.” Celestia continued to read, letting out a light breath and taking one back in before whispering the last of the letter, “With love, your mother- Faust.”

“S-sister, what does She mean?” Luna asks, confused by the wording of the letter as she looks upon the lightly glowing diamond.

“She means that we are to decide... her fate.” Celestia says, “That she is the hope of a coming trial, and we are to decide what form she shall take to face these tasks.”

Luna looks at Celestia in shock, but looks back to the crystal quickly. “But what -is- her fate sister?”

“... Only one way to know.” Celestia says softly, bringing her head down low. “We will have to see who this soul is... and decide from there.”

Luna frowns. “How?”

Celestia smiles softly, and gently lays her horn upon the crystal. “We talk with her of course.”

-----End Chapter Two: Proxy Bogging-----

A/N: Not quite sure what else to do with this chapter, so I'll cut it there. Sorry if it's a bit short.