• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 3,589 Views, 76 Comments

Black Angel - Zobeid



Nightmare Moon was defeated, but she's determined to fight her way back from the dream world.

  • ...
13
 76
 3,589

07 - Nocturnes

“These are great!” gushed Derpy as she held a half-eaten muffin between her front hooves. “What kind of berries are these?”

Nightmare Moon swallowed a bite of her own before saying, “Dreamberries! They only grow in places protected from the sun. I hoped you might like them.” She smiled as she saw Derpy was already chewing on another bite. Nightmare looked at her own muffin. “I once hoped ponies would learn to enjoy mushrooms, dreamberries, bodark apples and the rest of the night’s bounty.”

“Aww…”

“If only…” Her gaze directed at the horizon, unfocused. “If only they’d given the night a chance… If only they’d given me a chance…” She closed her eyes for a moment, then shook her head and look to her companion. “You’re the only one I can talk to, Derpy. Everyone here in the Dreaming is a subject of the Dream King. My own castle staff… Even my neighbor, Abel. I like him, but I couldn’t trust him to keep any secrets from his liege lord. Nor would it be fair to ask him to.”

Derpy nosed at her. “It’s okay. I’ll be your friend.”

Nightmare Moon shot the gray pegasus a wary look. “Friend?” Recent memories began to surface, memories of a rainbow full of pain. Friendship had not been kind to her, of late. Even so, she could hardly deny its power — not anymore.

Derpy continued, “Sure! You were all scary at first, but you’re not so bad.”

Nightmare smiled, just a little. “I suppose I could give that a try. So, Derpy… What sort of things do friends do together?”

Derpy tapped her chin with her hoof, a gesture of deep thought. “Hmm… We could tell each other how our day has been.”

“Oh. My day — or rather, my night — was not so good. I stumbled into a room full of dream magic, with a lake and waterfall, and three moons. Then I accidentally created my own nemesis, who I was told I’m fated to battle in some sort of duel to the death.”

Derpy nodded along, grinning, wings twitching, until Nightmare was done speaking. Then she blurted out, “I got to be in charge of the weather!”

Nightmare blinked. Then she blinked again. She stared at Derpy. “Say what now?”

Derpy bounced on her hind legs and fluttered her wings as she told the story. “I got the Fancy Cloud Badge, so I could be in charge! I always wanted that. And then I was so excited, I wanted to go water Ponyville with some rain, so I got Sparky, because he’s my most favorite cloud, and I moved him over to the library tree so I could give it some water, and then something went wrong and there was too much lightning and I sorta set the tree on fire, and then Twilight Sparkle came out and yelled at me, and then Rainbow Dash came and yelled at me, and then she took away the Fancy Cloud Badge. But… It was fun to be in charge for a little while anyhow.”

Nightmare Moon stared at Derpy as if she’d just broken out in polka dots. “You set Twilight Sparkle’s home on fire?”

Derpy nod-nodded. “Just a little.”

Nightmare Moon reached over with her hooves to Derpy’s shoulders and took a deep breath and then said, “Derpy… You are best pony!”


Spell Nexus sorted through his notes, shuffling them with his magic. He muttered, “No, no… Where is it?” He glanced around his elegant, hardwood-paneled study — at the bookshelves, at the large globe on its pedestal, at his roll-top desk, the map table which now had a few scarred pieces of silvery metal resting upon it. He looked at the many unseemly piles of books and papers, stacked on every available surface, including the floor. He tugged on a notebook with his magic, but the whole stack spilled across the rug.

He felt a sinking feeling as he realized just how bad the clutter had become. Worst of all, his main notebook covering his research on Nightmare Moon’s armor was buried in here somewhere.

Perhaps shelving some books would reduce the mess and bring it to a more manageable state. He levitated a book. The cover was blank. He opened it, tried to read a passage, but the words seemed a jumble. “…until aether synchronized… uh… spread spectrum… counterpoint to… uh…” He lifted an arm, rubbed his eyes with the side of his pastern… “What’s wrong with me?” he muttered.

“You can’t read in dreams,” was the reply. Spell Nexus spun, startled, to find Nightmare Moon sitting there, this time without her armor, her mane and tail appearing solid rather than etherial. She added, “I wonder if your work space is this cluttered in the waking world?”

He froze, but a thrill ran through him. They stared at one another for a moment, the black alicorn waiting patiently until he formulated his response. Without her armor or starry mane, she looked less intimidating, more pony-like, more… hot… His eyes went wide in panic as he tried to expunge that last thought from his mind. That was just wrong in so many ways. He flailed for a response and finally came up with: “uh… No. Not this bad. I wasn’t sure I would ever see you again, Nightmare Moon.”

“I said that I would find you, Spell Nexus. When last we met, you seemed to have a question for me. Do you still wish to ask?”

“Yes! Yes I do. Just a moment… I have to take notes.” His magic engaged as he started shuffling things about on his desk, trying to get a pencil and some sort of notepad or scrap paper together. “no… no… There’s got to be something here that I can write on.”

Nightmare Moon laughed. “Notes? You can’t even read here, so how do you think you’ll write? And if you did, do you imagine your notes would magically follow you back to the waking world? Would they materialize beside your pillow?”

He blushed with embarrassment and rubbed the back of his head. “Oh. Heh… I guess that wouldn’t really work.”

“Mayhap it could, if I so willed. It is not necessary, though. I promise that you will not forget what I reveal. So… Your question?”

He took a deep breath and fidgeted with his front hooves and then said, “I just want to know where you came from, and how you took control over Princess Luna.”

“Took control over…? Spell Nexus, what exactly do you think I am?”

He cleared his throat. “I have some theories about that, actually. A miasma rising from the lunar seas, perhaps. Or a manifestation of Tirek’s Rainbow of Darkness. Or maybe even a ponymorphic form of The Smooze, although I’ll admit that’s a bit of a stretch. Some connection with Tirek seems most likely, as there are several parallels in the Legend of Midnight Castle…”

“Enough!” Nightmare stamped her hoof, shutting him up. She pinned him with a glare. “You’ve invented a fantasy about some demonic creature sneaking up on the poor, weak, defenseless Princess Luna and overwhelming her. How much more palatable, how more convenient than the truth!”

Spell Nexus was stiff with fear, his jaw hanging open as if he’d been frozen that way in mid-sentence. Seeing this, Nightmare’s expression softened. She reached forward her hoof under his jaw and closed it, gently. Her voice colored with honey as she said, “I should not take my frustrations out on you, my little pony. You are only seeking knowledge after all.” She nuzzled him, brushing her nose across his ear. His eyes went wide, this time not entirely with fear.

Sitting back again, she continued, “I am Princess Luna — or at least, I was. Everypony thought I was soft, the weak sister, but I had so much strength in me they didn’t even realize. It only needed an outlet. Thus I created this persona: a new name, a new costume and glamour, so I could command the respect I was due.”

“But… Why? Why would you turn to evil?”

“Evil? Is that what you think?” She laughed, a patronizing chuckle. “Oh, my dear Spell Nexus, this is no fairy tale for young foals. We’re adults here. There is no more good or evil, black or white. We’ve matured beyond all that. We must each have our own personal view of right and wrong.”

He spoke hesitantly, “So… In your personal view of right and wrong, endless night is okay?”

“You shouldn’t knock it until you’ve tried it. Ponies have so many misconceptions about the night… They assume everypony would freeze, or everypony would starve, but it’s not like that at all.” She closed her eyes for a moment. “I had it all planned out, how everything would work. There would have been new lights for the towns, and new crops to grow under the moon. It would have been wondrous. The night… The night works differently from the day. Life would be different. Different isn’t always bad, but ponies… Alas, how they fear what they don’t know!”

Spell Nexus looked at the floor, brow furrowed with thought. “I’m still not sure I understand. I don’t think I have anything I can tell Princess Celestia to set her mind at ease.”

“Afraid of telling my sister what she doesn’t want to hear? Knowing her, I don’t blame you. But this is more than a mere assignment for you, Spell Nexus. It's a quest, and you won’t be satisfied until you’ve arrived at the truth. You may not be there yet, but you are on your way, and I can guide you.” A glow gathered about her horn, and she spread her wings, and the environs of Spell Nexus’s study dissolved into mist around them. They now stood upon a cloud overlooking a peaceful valley. Moonlight painted the land below in shades of gray, except for the warm light seeping out from the streets and homes of a village in the distance. The sky above was streaked with clouds that drifted slowly, majestically, with no pegasus to push them. The moon dimmed and brightened as wisps passed across its face.

Spell Nexus found himself entranced by the beauty of the night his companion had conjured. Once again he felt the soft feathers of her wing brushing across his back. And then she began to sing…

Close your eyes

For the night is falling

Fear no dark for it's warm and safe

And looks familiar as it comes approaching

Come with me and I will take you

To a world beyond your sleep

Beyond what’s real

In safety, a hidden sphere

Away from all daily reality

Truth lies out there, the truth lies out there.

As the innocent lay their heads down

As the night chants its luring call

Cross the borders of sense and foresight

Come with me and I will take you

You don't have to be afraid

A tear is only water

A sigh is only air

Whenever you feel haunted

The truth lies out there, the truth lies out there.

In a world beyond your sleep

Beyond what’s real

In safety, a hidden sphere

Away from all daily reality

Truth lies out there, the truth lies out there.

When her song ended, Spell Nexus was breathless for a few moments, until he came to his senses and tromped his front hooves on the floor. “That was amazing!” he gushed.

Nightmare Moon nodded. “Thank you, I’m glad you liked it. I’m entirely serious, though. I believe this quest for the truth is your destiny. Every pony is born to a destiny, though some are long in recognizing theirs. Some are born to lead, others to follow. Some are born to fortune, some for adventure. Some are born to love, some to fight.” She moved closer. “Some are born to sweet delight.” She lowered her muzzle close by his ear and murmured more softly, “Some are born to sweet delight… and some are born to the endless night.”


The drawing room in Nightmare Moon’s castle was elegantly appointed — thanks to The Fashion Thing’s efforts. Abel glanced at the tapestries, the paintings with their rather dark themes, the ornate furnishings and rug. Nightmare Moon, sans armor, sat across the table from him as Nuala poured tea into china cups. As she poured Nightmare’s cup she commented, “It’s Abel’s favorite tea, as you requested.”

The teacup floated in Nightmare Moon’s magical aura as she delicately took a sip. “Mmm… What an unusual flavor! It is wild but slightly minty — I can’t place it.”

“It’s cuh-catnip,” Abel explained. He carefully balanced his own cup between his front hooves as he took a sip, then set it down and added, “I luh-like it because it’s, uh, soothing and helps me sleep.”

She giggled softly. “Helps you sleep… We are dreams, are we not? In a way we never sleep, and in another way sleep is all we are.”

“Yeah, I guess it’s kind of fuh-funny.”

Nightmare nibbled a scone and gestured to dismiss Nuala, who quietly slipped away. Then Nightmare said to Abel, “It pleases me that I can return some of the hospitality you showed me. This castle seems like little more than an empty shell, though I hope that will change with time.”

“I’m sure it will. And I’m, hmm, happy to come and vuh-vuh-visit. So, um… I heard you got huh-hurt in the, uh, castle? In Dream’s castle, I mean? I was wuh-worried.”

She sighed. “I’m all right now. Let me tell you what happened…” She began to recount the recent events, and the creation of her nemesis. However, she hadn’t yet finished the tale when she was rudely interrupted.

“THERE YOU ARE!” shouted a familiar voice, and Able fumbled his tea and spilled it. His brother Cain barged into the room, teeth bared in rage. “Did you think I wouldn’t see you skulking over here, buffoon?”

Abel tried to shrink behind the table, while Nightmare Moon stood up and demanded, “What is the meaning of this intrusion?”

Nuala’s dainty hands were clamped on Cain’s tail, trying to pull him back through the doorway, but her feeble efforts had no effect. She said, “I tried to turn him away, but he wouldn’t listen.”

Ignoring them, Cain ranted, “Abel, have you taken leave of whatever addled senses you had? This black beauty only has to lift her tail and give you a sniff, then you’re trailing after her like a dog! And what do you think she wants? You, the mealy sack of flab, the stuttering imbecile! Are you so deluded to imagine she fancies you? Ha! She only wants… URK!”

Cain found himself being lifted off the floor by a midnight blue aura, matching the one that sizzled along Nightmare’s black horn. Veins pulsed and muscles twitched in his neck as he choked, unable to speak. Nightmare Moon’s voice was deceptively calm as she said, “Cain, I find your lack of decorum disturbing.”

“Don’t hurt him!” Abel blurted. “Puh-please… please trust me, you mustn’t. Just, uh, let him go.”

Nightmare flicked an ear but kept her cold eyes locked on Cain. Straining, he choked out, “Go on! Do your worst!”

Abel was frantic. “No! He’s puh-puh-protected! His muh-mark… You said you owed me a buh-buh-buh… a favor. Let him go!”

Nightmare narrowed her eyes at Cain. “So be it.” Her aura vanished, dropping him onto the floor. Her eyes focused on the white mark upon his forehead. “So you are under the protection of the Dream King?”

Cain gasped for breath for a moment before answering, “Heh… Not him. One far more powerful. If you harm a hair on me, you’ll suffer sevenfold retribution. You can’t stop me, no one can!” He picked himself up and began stalking towards Abel. “As for you… You made a mistake in coming here, and it’s time to make you pay!” He lowered his head and charged forward — only to crash into a blue force field. Dazed for a moment, he rubbed his head, then put his front hooves up against the glowing wall. “What’s this?”

Nightmare Moon said, “I won’t let you hurt your brother.”

Cain bared his teeth and began bashing the force field with his hooves. “No, no, no! You can’t stop me! I have a contract! A commission! I’m the victor, he’s the victim. I have a right! A right! I’m entitled! I’m special!” The shield held firm while Abel cowered, whimpering.

Nightmare Moon finally began to raise her voice, if only to speak over Cain’s ranting. “I don’t know what your agreement with Morpheus is, but you won’t hurt Abel here. Not in my home, not in my presence.”

Cain snarled with frustration and turned on Nightmare Moon. “Fool! You think this changes anything? How long do you think you can keep him here? When he comes out of this castle, I’ll be waiting! I’ll make him suffer. I’ll make him suffer more than ever before. His death will be long, and lingering, and painful, and I’ll be thinking of you the whole time. I won’t let him forget either. Every moment he spends with you, I’ll reward with twice the pain.”

Nightmare Moon’s eyes blazed back at him, meeting his challenge. “You want to defy me, little pony? I could crush you like an insect.”

Cain sneered. “Go ahead, let’s see you try!”

“No no!” called out Abel. “That’s what he wuh-wants you to do!”

Nightmare’s eyes narrowed for a moment, but then a smile began to form. “So you’re special. Entitled. Protected! I dare not harm you, is that right?” An aura of magic flared around her horn, and the glow engulfed Cain, lifting him off the floor.

Eyes wide, he flailed his legs helplessly. “What… What are you doing?” Without a word in reply, Nightmare Moon walked out of the room, floating Cain in front of her. He pleaded, “Let’s not be hasty now. I may have spoken recklessly. It was… It was all in jest! You know how siblings can be, always kidding around.

“Oh yes, I know all too well. Those little pranks they play on one another! I’ve learned a few such tricks myself.” As Abel and Nuala trailed behind, she walked down the hallway and out into the courtyard, where she gave a loud whistle. Three black nightgaunts swooped down from the castle walls and landed in front of her. She magically tossed Cain to them and said, “Have fun, boys!”

The silent nightgaunts instantly pounced upon Cain and began tickling him with the barbed tips of their tails. He struggled and tried to escape, but within moments he was subdued, helplessly convulsing with laugher, trying in vain to fend off the agile tails. One of the nightgaunts grasped him firmly with its long fingers and toes, spread its wings and lifted him into the air. Its tail tip continued to dart around his sides, keeping him twitching uncontrollably, even while the creature gained altitude and flew over the castle wall.

In the courtyard, the rest watched as the nightgaunt disappeared into the darkness, and Cain’s wheezing laughter interspersed with curses faded into the distance. Abel asked, “Whuh-what will, uh, happen to him?”

Nightmare shrugged lightly. “The nightgaunt won’t injure him, if that’s what you’re thinking. Still… I doubt whether we’ll be seeing him again for A While.”

They returned to the drawing room, where Nuala quickly cleaned up the mess and poured more tea. After they had settled down, Abel asked, “Why did you, hmm, puh-protect me?”

“Because I could, and because I wanted to. As well, you are my guest. I would be a poor host if I allowed my visitors to be assailed. But enough of that! Let us banish the matter from our thoughts, shall we?” He nodded agreement, and then Nightmare Moon picked up their conversation where she’d been interrupted before, and finished telling of her encounter with her nemesis.

After hearing Morpheus’s verdict, Abel pondered, stared into his cup for some moments, then ventured, “So, umm… Do you know what happened to your, uh, your nuh-nemesis, after it flew off I mean?”

“No… Lord Morpheus said it has all my abilities, and apparently it is equally skilled at hiding in the dreamscape. I’m sure it realized I would try to find it. I suppose it must be gathering its strength until it senses an opportunity to strike. That’s what I would do. You will inform me if you learn anything, I trust.”

“Oh of course, of course.” He took another sip of tea. “Hmm… I wuh-wish I could have seen that, uh, dreamscape you wandered into, with the, um, lake and three moons. Hmm, it must have been buh-beautiful.”

“Oh yes, it was. Not that I had much time to enjoy the view. And besides, one moon is quite enough for me. Can you imagine trying to ride herd on three of them?” She took a sip of tea, and a faraway look came over her. “Hmm… Three moons. A trinity of moons.” Her eyes opened wide, ears perked up, and her wings even gave an excited flutter. “A trinity!” she said, more loudly.

“Whu-what?” Abel blinked.

Nightmare Moon’s look of surprise shifted to the widest grin Abel had seen upon her. “Only a trinity can walk the Moon’s Path. It's an obscure bit of ancient lore that I’d almost forgotten — and I doubt Lord Morpheus remembers, if ever he knew. It would be of no use to him. But for me…” Abel could almost imagine gears turning in her head. “I can do this!”

“Do what? I don’t understand.”

The grin faded. “It won't be easy. I'll have to find a way to capture the others and control them. Risky, yes. But still…” Then she blinked and looked at Abel as if only just remembering that he was there. "I can go home, Abel. There is a way for me to return to Equestria and live again. And then… Then I'll show them. I'll show them all. I'll have my kingdom, and I’ll have my revenge, and the night will last forever!"

Author's Note:

For the full story of the Fancy Cloud Badge, see here: Tales From Ponyville

Your musical selection: Sleepwalker's Dream