• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 2,462 Views, 10 Comments

Adversity - Ogopogo



When Oak awakes from a comatose-like state he proceeds to follow his half remembered goal of joining the royal guard. But would they want him anyway, considering there hasn't been an earth pony in the Royal Guard for over three hundred years?

  • ...
1
 10
 2,462

Chapter VI - Deadlines

“Get the hell away from my father!” Lilium growled, glowering at General Candlelight. “And how dare you accuse him of being a criminal! He is a doctor for harmony’s sake.”

“Precisely the point,” he replied, meeting her accusing glare unflinchingly. “Your father has not only provided a cocktail of illegal drugs to Oak Leaf, but he prescribed an untested and untried concoction, without understanding any potential side effects, which is another offence in itself.”

“Yes, and if you would please let me up, perhaps I could explain myself,” Remedy struggled to say, his muzzle pressed against the floor.

Candlelight obliged, lifting his hoof and taking a step back. “Advise your patrons that you will be closing for the rest of the day,” he informed Lilium. “Once I return to castle, I will write up a search warrant, and I shall be sending a squad scour the premises. This has been your father’s place of stay, and I do not want to miss anything he may have kept here.”

“How about you go fuck yourself instead?” she growled back. A busy evening’s worth of work was worth a fair number of bits.

“Very well then,” he sighed. By this point the ponies around the bar had taken an interest in the developing scene. Turning to face them, Candlelight stomped a hoof to gain silence. “By order of the Royal Guard, this establishment is closed till further notice. Furthermore–” he paused to let the first wave of angry jeering wash past. “Furthermore, anypony lingering will be detained for obstructing justice. You have one minute to vacate the premises.”

Though they grumbled and cursed, the ponies throughout the bar had no choice but to follow his commands. Oak glanced apologetically at Lilium, only to have it thrown back with a sneer. Forty seconds later the building stood empty.

“Now explain your actions,” Candlelight ordered.

“I was travelling home from Canterlot from a conference on the development of a new spell designed to slow the spread of certain types of infections–”

“I don’t need to know the background,” he interrupted. “Under what condition are you claiming innocence?”

“In the situation that all other options have been exhausted, if the patient will perish without immediate treatment, the use of untried medicine may be permitted provided it has already undergone preliminary testing, and the results have been submitted to the medical board. Though I have submitted the results, along with the notification that I had restricted substances, they likely have yet to be processed.”

“So, if I understand it correctly, you are saying you exhausted every possible option?” Candlelight asked. “Not only is that a bold claim to make, but I’m doubtful that was really your only option.”

“That is not up for you to decide,” Remedy countered.

“True, it is not. However, I still have to detain you until a verdict is reached.”

“How about you bug off and let him stay with me,” Lilium said, her brows furrowed in annoyance.

Remedy sighed. “Lilium–” he began.

“No, dad!” she interrupted. “I only get to see you a few times a year, and now you're letting somepony drag you away?”

Remedy stepped forward, wrapping his daughter in a hug. “It is only for a short time, honey,” he murmured in her ear. “I’ll be back soon.” Releasing her, he turned to the general. “Would it be alright if I go retrieve a few things from my room? Books, notes, my research... It may help with their investigation,” he added.

“Alright,” Candlelight relented. “Sergeant Featherlight, accompany the doctor. We shall wait outside for you to finish. Oak Leaf, you are free to go. You may choose to return to the tower, or wait here.”

As Remedy trotted off with Featherlight in tow, Oak spared Lilium a glance. He at least owed her an apology. “I’ll wait here, sir.”

“Very well then.”

Walking to the bar, Oak approached Lilium carefully, watching her fish for a darkened glass bottle while he took a seat. She ignored him as she pulled herself a glass, pouring herself a small amount of amber whiskey.

“Want one?” she asked tiredly, lifting another glass expectantly. At his nod, she set down the glass, pouring another. Lifting her own, she finished it in a few mouthfuls, pouring herself one more. “Damnit,” she muttered, “he always has to do this.”

“Look...” Oak stammered. “For what it’s worth, I’m sorry.”

Lilium snorted, “Oh please. It’s not your fault. Dad always finds some way to mess up our time together with his work. I’ve never known somepony more obsessed with their job than him.”

“He said he was passionate about it,” Oak replied, recalling the conversation on the train. “Are you okay?” he added, watching her pour herself yet another glass.

“Trust me, when you’re a barkeeper, you pick up all kinds of bad habits,” she assured him. “Easy when the good stuff is always right there.”

Chuckling nervously, Oak nodded slightly in understanding. “I have a friend you’d probably like,” he said, thinking of Noche, and eager to stay away from an obviously personal issue.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, he loves a good pint or two.”

“Beer drinker then?” she questioned.

“Don’t think so,” Oak replied. “Least I don’t think he has any preferences.”

“You should bring him down sometime. I’m sure he’d love this,” she offered, prodding the bottle with a hoof. She fell silent for a moment, swirling her drink. “Did he ever tell you about my mother?” she asked suddenly.

Oak swallowed uncomfortably, inwardly wincing as the topic suddenly returned to personal matters. “No, but why–”

“My mother is...” she trailed off abruptly. “Or rather, was, the reason my father is so devoted to his work. When I was just a foal, they found that she had some sort of rare sickness and gave her a year to live. Naturally, dad devoted every waking moment between spending time with her and working on a cure. According to him, weeks before he would have it ready, there was a complication, and she passed away, holding on just long enough to say a few last things to my father.” She raised her glass shakily and took a trembling sip.

“Lilium, I don’t need to know this,” Oak protested.

She either didn’t hear him, or didn’t care. “He was convinced that he was at fault, that he was responsible for her death. Even though he spent most of his time already in a lab, he became obsessed, furious if even the tiniest fault was found. He sought to be the perfect doctor, peerless, and I guess he succeeded in his goal. You should see his house. There are medical awards and trophies littered through it, but it’s certainly not a home... At least not my home.”

Oak squirmed in his seat without anything to say. Another round of silence followed the next round of whiskey Lilium plowed back. She set the glass back on the counter, running her hoof along the rim in memory. She looked as though she intended to continue, but was interrupted by the sound of her father coming down the stairs. It took Remedy one glance to notice the bottle, and to sprout a heavy frown.

“Lilium, what have I said about that?” he demanded, Sergeant Featherlight following him closely.

Yes, dad,” she sang patronizingly. “Perhaps if you stop giving me cause, I would stop drinking. Ever think about that?”

“Yes, honey, I know. In fact, I promise. I should be back in a few days, take care.” He gave his daughter a kiss on the cheek, which she grudgingly returned with a hug.

“Bye, dad,” she whispered, letting go. “Oh wait, do you want this?” she asked, holding out a small jewelry box.

Instantly recognizing the still wrapped earrings for what they were, Oak opened his mouth to hazard a question, only to have it snapped shut by Remedy’s magic, along with a pleading glance. Though Featherlight might at times be ill-tempered, she was no less observant for it. It took all of a second for her to piece it together, and one more to deliver the striking retort.

“Not happening,” she growled, prowling to the door as Remedy picked himself off the floor.

“Well splendid,” Remedy sighed, rubbing the hoof shaped mark on his cheek tenderly.

“W-wait,” Lilium stammered, slow on the uptake. The alcohol was finally beginning come into play, affecting her reasoning. “Those are for her!” she exclaimed in excitement.

“Yes,” he admitted glumly, a red tint colouring his cheeks, “or at the very least they were.”

Practically leaping across the bar, Lilium tackled her father into a tight hug, ignoring the bottle of whiskey she spilt, and Oak’s irritated exclamation.

“I’m so ha- happy for you!” Lilium rejoiced, squeezing Remedy tightly.

“Yes dear, but I’m not sure Oak appreciates your enthusiasm, or your preferred whiskey as a cologne.”

The mare flushed in embarrassment as she looked at the forest green earth pony, furthering her already rosey cheeks. “Whoops,” she chuckled weakly, casting about for a rag. “Sorry about that.”

The door to the bar opened while Lilium searched. “Doctor Remedy, I hope I do not have to remind you,” General Candlelight declared.

“Just a moment, if you would,” Remedy answered. “Just saying goodbye to my daughter and leaving her a few instructions.”

“Make it quick.”

Oak pushed away the offered cloth, damp with warm water. “Thanks, but I’ll just get a shower once I get back. Don’t think we have the time now.”

“I’d better go get the mop and clean up then,” Lilium sighed, gazing forlornly at the puddle of whiskey slowly seeping through the floorboards. “See ya, Oak. If dad manages to get a date, let me know; I have plans for them.”

“Lil’,” Remedy groaned.

She gave her father an impish smile. “See you dad, love ya!” she called, darting around the corner.

“So, Sergeant Featherlight, huh?” Oak teased.

Huffing in a forced show of indignation, Remedy stormed for the door. “I do not wish to talk about it.”

“Pleased that you to finally join us,” Candlelight commented, starting for the tower.

“My apologies,” Remedy replied. “Collecting my possessions took longer without the use of my magic. Was the ring really necessary?”

“It’s standard procedure. Yes.”

The bustle of the city parted as they drew near, parents pulling playing foals to the side, scolding them for not being more observant. Goods were passed back and forth between vendors and customers frequently, ponies contemplating and inspecting the items for sale. The sweet fragrance of freshly cooked bread wafted throughout the street as somewhere, a bakery opened their ovens and pulled out loaves of bread to let them cool. The open markets gave way to storefronts and the apartments above, each store specializing in a few particular goods, or engaged in a fierce contest to win the attention and support of customers. At the sighting of a familiar shadow, Oak glanced up at the sky, craning his neck till he found Noir soaring about.

“What are you up to?” Oak muttered to himself, as he followed his companion’s circling trail. Oak realized what Noir intended to do, exactly as the raven put his plan into motion. “Noir, no!”

The guards turned at the cry, scanning the area rapidly to spot the disturbance. They did not notice Noir, or recognize him as the cause, till the raven was scrabbling against Remedy’s horn, returning seconds later to the sky with the inhibitor ring. Perching atop the edge of a chimney, Noir let go of the ring, letting it fall into the hearth, or furnace, far below.

“Sergeant Featherlight,” Candlelight seethed, “would you please go capture that–” He was interrupted by Oak’s shrill whistle.

“Noir, get down here now!” he called out angrily. Oak Leaf wished he understood Noir’s actions better. The raven held rules and laws in as much contempt as a cat did an overzealous puppy. Begrudgingly, Noir swooped down on Oak’s offered foreleg, preening his chest in a show of pride.

“Do you own this bird? Candlelight asked irritably.

Having learned many times over in the past, his “pet” did not like to be referred to as one, so Oak judged his words carefully. “He’s more my... companion,” Oak explained. “He tolerates me so long as I tolerate him. I’ve known him since I was a foal.”

“But you are responsible for him, correct?”

“I guess, yeah.”

“Then you now owe the guard one hundred eighty-two bits, the price it costs to produce one of those rings.”

“Now hold on a moment!” Oak protested. “I told you–”

“Then what would you have me do?” Candlelight interrupted, “That cost is not one we could simply absorb into our expenditures. You have admitted to being responsible for your pet, and with it, any problems he may cause.”

The raven had had just about enough of the general, spreading his wings to leap to the sky. He squawked indignantly when they stopped halfway, held in place by Candlelight’s magic.

“Noir will return to the tower with you,” Candlelight commanded. “Given his proclivity for acquiring valuables which do not belong to him, he will remain under watch.”

“What? Noir wouldn’t steal!” Oak exclaimed, with the conviction of something he knew was only half true. In reality, Noir had a nasty habit of acquiring lost items. If it was left unattended on the ground, to Noir, it was fair game. It had led to more than one awkward explanation on Oak’s part as the rightful owner caught sight.

“Perhaps not, but reports of theft have risen for the past several days, all valuables small enough to be carried by a bird. Forgive me for drawing such conclusions. Now come along, I will not waste anymore time dawdling about.”

“Guess you’re coming with me, buddy,” Oak sighed, raising his foreleg to let Noir jump up onto his head.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ouch!” Oak exclaimed, rolling his shoulder where Noir had pecked him. Rolling his eyes, he returned to what he had just stopped: scratching the back of the raven’s head. “You’re so spoiled, you know that?” Oak grumbled. Noir clucked a blissful reply.

The two sat outside the infirmary on a stone bench, waiting for Doctor Remedy and Cobbler to finish their discussion. Once they had arrived, the general had quickly informed Remedy that Cobbler wanted to speak with him. Though Remedy had said he could go, Oak felt a certain obligation to stay. After all, it was partly his fault the doctor was in this predicament.

Having enough of the pleasurable scratching, Noir raised a wing slightly. Obliging, Oak turned his focus to the base of the wing, gently massaging the tendons. “Still have to figure out what we’re going to do with you,” Oak commented.

Noir squeaked inquisitively, confused when the answer was so obvious.

“No, Noir,” Oak groaned, “I can’t just let you have your way around here. Don’t think I don’t remember–” Oak cut off abruptly as his hoof brushed something metallic and out of place. Leaning in closer, he caught a glimpse of gleaming silver. Hastily, ignoring Noir’s pained squawk, Oak pulled Noir’s left wing open. The avian had placed small silver earing—a simple yet detailed engraved loop—around the base of his wing to keep it secure.

“What the hell is this, Noir?” Oak asked, betrayal creeping into his voice. “I thought you said you were not stealing anything?” Oak turned the loop in his hoof, peering closely at the engravings for a clue. They were nothing more than two lines interweaving together around the circumference of the ring, set with a tiny sapphire where they met. It was far too nice a thing to just “find” on the ground. “Who did you steal this from?” Oak demanded.

The expression Noir gave, questioned Oak’s very intelligence, searching for just how far the utter stupidity ran. Regaining control of his beak, the raven gave an undignified squawk. He was saved from the interrogation by General Candlelight. Oak quickly covered the loop with a foreleg.

“You’ve saved me quite a bit of time by waiting here,” Candlelight said. “Now I don’t have to track you down. They would like to see you in there for a minute.”

“What about?”

“Cobbler would like to see your injuries for himself. I hope this is not a problem.”

Oak struggled to keep a straight face. “Not at all,” he said, struggling over the words.

“Glad to hear it,” he said walking off. “Be sure to keep your pet under control, otherwise I’ll have him confined to a cage.”

Oak carefully reattached the earring to Noir’s wing, glancing around to make sure no one saw the action. “Alright Noir, listen. Can you please try to behave? I know it might be hard for you, but this means a lot to me. If you keep doing things which bug Candlelight, he’ll just throw both of us out. Please?”

Clucking, Noir bobbed his head, hopping up onto Oak’s back as he rose to his hooves.

The scene that greeted Oak as he entered was peculiar to say the least, taking several glances between the two doctors before piecing it together. Remedy and Apple Cobbler stood across the room from one another, faces slightly flushed and twisted into irritated scowls. Though Remedy’s expression was one of professional detachment, Cobbler seemed to take the whole matter far more personally. Coughing forcibly, Oak broke the standoff, drawing attention towards himself.

“You wanted to see me?”

“Yes,” Cobbler said, starting for one of the beds prepared with fresh sheets. “If you would just take a seat up here, I would like to take a look at your injuries.”

“Not much to see anymore,” Oak said, hoping Cobbler would buy the lie. It eased Oak’s mind to see Noir following his wishes. The raven perched himself on top of the cabinets, content to watch.

“Remedy said the same thing, but I would still like to see them.”

Without outright refusal not option, Oak climbed onto the bed, his heart in his throat, beating nervously. It was of some comfort that Oak noticed Remedy locked the door to the room while Cobbler wasn’t looking.

Doctor Cobbler wrinkled his nose distastefully as he sniffed the air, beginning to unwrap the bandages. “Why do you smell like alcohol?”

“My daughter spilt some whiskey on Oak by accident,” Remedy explained. “She works at a bar you see.”

Expecting some sort of shocked exclamation as the last of the binding was removed, Oak braced himself, trying to piece together an explanation. One glance at Remedy was all it took Oak to realize he was thinking the same. Oddly, nothing happened save a momentary hum as Cobbler examined the scars as the last of the cloth fell away. Moving from the bed, Cobbler opened a file, levitating several sheets of film of x-rays. Once more, Oak hazarded a glance at his side. The gashes had finally healed over, but left in their place were four distinct scars, each almost perfectly parallel to the others. Even through his thick coat, they were clearly visible. Running a hoof over them, Oak Leaf felt his stomach churn uneasily at each lump of scar tissue.

Sighing, Doctor Cobbler placed the film back down inside the file. “Alright, I’ll admit it. Perhaps he was injured enough, but I still don’t believe that was the only option.”

“I’m sure you’ll eventually see it was,” Remedy replied. “Just give it time.”

“Hmm...” Cobbler hummed, reading a note from the file. “Seems somepony made a mistake and wrote Oak Leaf was a pegasus.”

“Cobbler, before you continue–” Remedy interjected,

“Hold on a moment,” Cobbler said, “somepony added a note.”

Again, Remedy tried to offer an explanation, but Cobbler paid him no heed. Turning the page over, he stopped, peering closely at a short passage of text.

“What? That’s odd, it says here that his attending physician said that...” Cobbler’s eyes widened as he put the pieces together. A simple gasp was all the warning he gave, before he bolted.

Having foreseen Cobbler’s actions, Remedy had already placed himself in front of the locked door. “Where are you so eager to be going?” he asked, holding up a hoof.

“To report this at once!” he exclaimed. “Do you have any idea–”

“Tell me Cobbler,” Remedy interrupted. “You seem to be quite familiar with regulations. I assume you received high marks throughout medical school?”

“Top of my class,” he said with a hint of pride.

“Excellent to hear. However, I assume you are familiar with patient doctor confidentiality.”

“Yes, of course.”

“Perhaps then you should realize that what you have seen here is of no concern of anypony but Oak.”

“But the file–” Cobbler began to protest.

“If I recall correctly, unless it is life threatening and I fail to act, it is I, not you, who ultimately dictates what the file says,” Remedy calmly stared the other unicorn down. “Is that not correct?”

“...Yes,” he admitted bitterly, looking away. “I hope you know when they find you overstepped your authority that I will be placed in charge.”

“If and only if,” Remedy clarified, taking Oak’s file and setting it back with the others. “Now if that is quite everything, would you kindly find a guard to escort me to where I will be staying?”

Doctor Cobbler headed for the door, his face set in a scowl. It was only the door slammed shut behind him, that Remedy let himself slump in defeat, taking a seat heavily on the floor,

“Are... Are you alright?” Oak ventured, disturbed with the sudden change.

Remedy sighed, rubbing his eyes with a hoof tiredly for a few seconds. “I’m not sure if I can do this, Oak,” he uttered, breaking the silence. “I can only thank Celestia that he didn’t call my bluff; that he has very little practical knowledge.”

“What are you saying?”

“In truth, he has every right to report that you are an earth pony to Candlelight. I can think of numerous situations where that knowledge could mean the difference between life and death. Offhoof, I know of seventeen treatments or medications which would be lethal to an earth pony, but not a pegasus. He isn’t stupid though, and if his diploma is worth anything, I would say you have at most a week before he figures it out.”

The information weighed crushingly on Oak’s conscience. “Are you sure?” he blurted, praying there was something else.

“Yes,” the unicorn declared, “without a doubt. In fact, that estimation might even be a tad generous.” He gave Oak Leaf a tired smile as he picked up a fresh roll of bandages. “Now we had better get your scars covered before they come back. Perhaps you should get something to eat, to take your mind off things.”

~~~~~~~~~

“Yo, Oak!” Noche exclaimed from somewhere behind Oak. “Think fast!”

Without thinking, Oak ducked his head, letting the projectile, a book, arc over his head and thump heavily on the table, narrowly missing his sandwich, but jarring the tray it rested on. Flapping his wings in surprise, Noir leapt back, before shooting the unicorn a baleful glare.

“Caldor gave that to us, said you forgot it,” Noche continued, taking a seat alongside Oak. “Guy still gives me the creeps.”

“Still sour he ‘stole’ Mist Rose away from you?” Frittata asked, quoting the air with her hooves.

Noche grunted bitterly.

Laughing, she patted him on the back. “I wouldn’t worry, she seemed more in love with the metal than him.”

“Metal?” Oak repeated, cocking his head.

“Didn’t you notice her cutie mark was an anvil? Apparently Rose’s dad worked as a blacksmith and she took after the family business. Anyway, Caldor mentioned he found a forge and he was going to be working with some sort of alloy. You should have seen how her eyes just lit up.” She giggled at the memory. “She practically begged Caldor to let her help. And now loverboy here is moaning about it.”

“So how was the bar?” Noche questioned suddenly, moving the topic away from himself.

“What?”

Noche Beuna rolled his eyes. “You smell like whiskey, Oak,” he said, guessing the odour correctly. “It’s pretty obvious.”

“I was wondering what that was,” Frittata agreed.

In as few words as possible, Oak explained to them what had transpired, pausing occasionally to take bites of his sandwich. Starting with the events in the city, he quickly moved on to what happened just minutes before, and the consequences it posed.

“So this Lilium,” Noche asked, “she cute?” Instinctively, he swayed to the side, softening Frittata’s blow.

Oak chuckled, “Yeah, she kinda is.” He received a whack from Frittata for his comment.

“Don’t you go encouraging him!” she demanded pointedly. “Perhaps you’d be better off figuring out what you are going to do when they find out. I mean, let’s be realistic here, I don’t think you can keep this a secret forever.”

Oak set his head down on the table, batting a stray shred of lettuce in thought. His friends were repeating what he already knew, but it only served to further the importance. “I know,” he said glumly, “it’s just that I don’t know what to say, and whenever I think about it... I dunno, I just can’t think past it. Originally, I thought telling Candlelight about it after a few days, but something he said just didn’t sit well with me.”

“You heard it from Caldor, right?”

“Yeah, he was the one who told me that the guard didn’t accept earth ponies, but everything else I’ve seen could be circumstantial for all I know.”

The other two shared a glance. “Listen, Oak,” Frittata began slowly, “I know you trust Caldor, but have you considered that he might be wrong?”

“I mean, claiming the guard doesn’t want earth ponies?” Noche offered. “Doesn’t that sound just a little far-fetched?”

“Maybe,” Oak relented. “He seemed so sure of it though.”

“Why don’t you talk to him then, learn why he says that,” Frittata suggested. “It’s better than just taking his word for it.”

“Know where I could find him?”

“No idea, but I’d wait till tomorrow anyway, you have other things to worry about,” she said, tapping his book twice. “You need to study.”

“Asking Caldor will only take a minute, how–”

“What is the difference between primary, secondary and tertiary feathers in a pegasus’s wing, and what part of flight are each used for?”

The earth pony stared blankly at Frittata for a minute. “What?”

Frittata picked up the book between two of her primaries, waving it in front of Oak’s face. “What do you think, Oak? Any pegasus who knows how to fly knows that, and I guarantee there will be things like that on whatever test they are going to give. So, that’s why I am going to help you study tonight.”

Noche Buena groaned. “I wanted to go check out that bar.”

Snorting, Frittata rolled her eyes. “Oh please, the only thing you want to check out is Lilium. You could care less about the bar.”

Placing a hoof over his heart, Noche dramatically gasped. “You wound me. To think I was– OW!”

Frittata folded her wing, smiling smugly. “You're right, I do.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oak groaned as he stirred in the bed, his mind still sore from the previous night. Frittata insisted they spend every moment till bed studying the simple book. By the end of it, she had jokingly dubbed Oak an honorary pegasus, checking to make sure nopony was eavesdropping before doing so. While it had been in good fun, it almost seemed true. He felt like he knew more about pegasi than some did about themselves.

Just as on the previous two mornings, Oak lifted the lid to the chest which held his saddlebags, staring at the contents, or lack thereof. In his drowsiness, his mind failed to supply the events of the previous night, so he stood, staring at the spot, unable to figure out the problem. It was only when Noir pecked him, leaping down from his perch atop the bunk to land on his back, that the memories jolted into place.

“Right,” Oak sighed, closing the trunk. “Thanks, buddy,” he added softly. Perhaps it was the evening of studying, but his head felt murky and bleary, and his neck sore. Then again, it was more likely the fact that his head had fallen off the small pillow halfway through the night.

Stepping into the hallway, Oak immediately spotted Lieutenant Sky approaching, under his wing the bane of every recruit’s existence: the bugle.

Sky nodded in greeting. “Morning Oak... And Noir,” he added, the raven leaning out from behind Oak’s head. “I take it that this is going to become a routine.”

“Just used to rising with the sun,” Oak offered, “not much else to it.”

“Fair enough. Now I had better wake the others,” he said, pushing the door open. “Don’t want them–” Sky abruptly came to a stop as Noir fluttered the few strokes from Oak’s back to perch on the lieutenant's helm. Taking a quick breath, the raven cawed piercingly, pausing every few calls, halting when he heard grumbles and curses. Looking immensely satisfied with himself, Noir flew back to Oak’s back, preening his chest smugly.

Shaking his head in amusement, Sky readjusted the horn beneath his wing, and nudged his helmet back into place. “Seems he’s after my job. Saves me the trouble, I suppose. So how about it, Noir? Want to take over for me?”

Oak shook his own head in vigorous disapproval. “That’s not a good idea. He’s likely to wake us up in the middle of the night as a joke if you let him. And no, Noir, don’t take that as a suggestion,” he continued, spying the devious glint in the raven’s eye.

“Anyhow, you had best get something to eat. Long day ahead of us.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Good morning, sister.”

Celestia looked up from her breakfast. “Good morning, Luna,” she greeted the deep blue alicorn. “Is something the matter?” The two sisters generally spoke with each other over breakfast or shortly after supper, one rising while the other prepared to rest.

The dark alicorn’s disheveled appearance spoke of a long, trying night. It took Celestia a moment to remember that this last night was when Luna chose to hold night court, identical to her own day court save for the time.

Princess Luna grunted petulantly, nodded and took a seat. Accepting a plate of food from a servant, she took a bite of her toast, taking pleasure in the knowledge that her bed awaited her after the meal. “I sometimes wonder why you insist that ponies must be allowed to petition us, regardless of the reason,” Luna began, smothering ‘petition’ with acrimony. “We are sick of hearing of their petty complaints and squabbles, when a driblet of logic would solve their fatuous disputes. Why We still persist...”

Taking a sip of her tea, Celestia nodded absentmindedly, letting her sister unload her frustrations without interruption. Luna often did this when she was sufficiently agitated: venting upon somepony else. Princess Celestia knew better than to interrupt, or try to reason with Luna when she was like this. Better to let her get it all out in one go than to stop the flow and let the pressure build.

“Finished?” the white alicorn asked, once the words had abated. Scowling fiercely, Luna muttered an indistinguishable response. “Be gentle with the cutlery,” Celestia added, watching a spoon bend ever so slightly in her sister’s grasp. “Luna, you know we must–”

“Spare me the lecture,” Luna interrupted crossly, “We know what thou art going to say.”

I know what you are going to say,” Celestia corrected without thought, regretting the words immediately. Her ears folded back against her head. “Luna, I’m sor–”

The younger alicorn rose from the table, face flushed in anger. “We are done with breakfast, sister,” Luna spat, daring her sister to correct her. “I was also pleased to find out you decided to withhold the knowledge of recent events from me.”

“Luna, that is why I wanted to talk to you yesterday, but you claimed you had somewhere to be.” Celestia paused, and recalled the hastily blurted excuse. Her mouth twitched into a smile. “In fact, where did you have to go?”

This time, the lunar princess’s face did not colour in anger, but rather flustered embarrassment. “Tha-That is none of your concern,” she stammered, settling into a scowl after the initial shock of the question.

“But you are the one complaining about withheld knowledge,” Celestia countered innocently.

“That is–” Luna abruptly halted, recalling the events a short time ago. “Oh sister, I just remembered something,” she sang out in a tone just a touch too joyous. “An hour ago Blueblood, along with members of the Charlemane and Colophon family came to speak to me. They wish to discuss certain topics with me, topics which I simply did not have the time for. So naturally, I told them you would be delighted to converse with them.”

“Naturally...” Celestia sighed. She already knew where this was going.

“Indeed,” her sister agreed. “I suggested they request an extended audience with you, so they could detail their proposals in full.” Luna began to head for her room, calling over her shoulder as she left. “Have a pleasant day, sister.

The moment Luna was out of sight, Celestia groaned, rubbing at her temples. A dull ache had begun to form between her eyes, hinting that it was going to be one of those days.