• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 819 Views, 9 Comments

When Worlds Collide - Decmaster



Twilight Sparkle goes to a club.

  • ...
4
 9
 819

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Twilight looked up of her own will this time. The light of day that Twilight read by had faded considerably, leaving the black text to blend in with the dark page until the only visible thing was a dark mass only slightly darker than the rest of the page. Obviously, it was time for Twilight to head to bed. She carefully placed a bookmark in her book, and closed it delicately. Something caught her eye, and she noticed that her “read” pile had increased again. She had no idea how long she had been reading for. She looked at the fortress of books around her and yawned. She realized that she was too tired to put all these books away tonight. Besides, nopony would mind if she closed the library tomorrow…

As usual, the first thing Twilight did was use her magic to pick up the library key on the table, and bring it to her. Then, key in mouth, she trotted over to the door to lock it. She knew she could have just used her magic, but she liked to tug on the door herself, just to make sure it really was locked. Accidents were the last thing Twilight needed. Recently, there had been an increase in crime around Ponyville, and Twilight wouldn’t have anypony stealing her books. (Ponies in Ponyville had told her time and time again that no pony would take the time to steal books, but Twilight would have none of it). She had just reached the door when an unexpected blow to the face knocked her into the wall. Or, more accurately, a blow to the body. The door slammed open with a force that rocked its hinges, and in walked Twilight’s friends. However, even from behind a door, Twilight could tell that something was amiss. She managed to shove the door away from her to find a strange sight.

She never would have expected the sight that her eyes beheld. Fluttershy was riding on top of Applejack, holding a bottle half-full of a dark, murky liquid. The label had been burned off. Rarity’s mane was all messed up, with strands of hair sticking out every which way. Her dress seemed all out of place. This was odd, as normally she would have been freaking out over the imperfections of her askew dress. Rainbow Dash seemed lively as ever, however, there was a dangerous edge to her movements that surprised Twilight. And when her eyes fell upon Pinkie, she nearly did a double take. Pinkie’s head hung low, and her steps were sluggish, like she had recently been robbed of sleep. Her mouth wasn’t spewing nonsense, or anything, at all, and she wasn’t bouncing around. She genuinely looked tired.

“Girls,” Twilight began innocently, “What happened to you?” If Twilight was expecting an answer, she was to be disappointed. “YAY, WOO-HOO!” Fluttershy yelled, and took another swig of the liquid. “That can’t be good for ya’…” Applejack muttered quietly. Applejack was the only one who seemed all right.

Rainbow Dash was flying in circles around Pinkie, clearly agitated about something. “Aww, come on, Pinkie. You promised…”

“Dashie, I’m really tired, alright?” Pinkie slurred, using Rainbow’s pet name that usually ended with Rainbow’s hoof to the offending mouth. Hard. However, Rainbow didn't seem to mind it this time.

“Please?” Rainbow Dash asked rather disappointedly.

“No.” Then, in a louder voice, Pinkie said, “Twi, I’m crashing in your room, okay?” Without even hearing from Twilight, she slowly dragged her hooves up to Twilight’s room, and shut the door. Rainbow Dash followed, nagging, “But Pinkie!” She quickly opened the door again, flew into the room and slammed the door behind her.

Rarity turned to Twilight. “Where’s Spike, dear?” She said in a sickly sweet voice. Twilight turned her head and gestured a hoof towards a door. Rarity trotted off in that direction, and entered the room. A blue glow surrounded the door as it closed, and a small click signaled that she had locked the door.

A thump from the left followed by a glance in that direction told Twilight that Fluttershy had passed out on Applejack’s back and fallen to the ground. The liquid started to spill onto the floor. Twilight used her magic to restore the contents to the bottle, and she set it gently down on the table.

Finally, Twilight turned to Applejack. Lacking any form of self-restraint in her voice, she asked the question on her mind as soon as she realized that something was amiss. “What the hay is going on here?”

Startled by Twilight’s use of colorful language that was usually absent from her wide vocabulary, Applejack took a second before she was able to answer. Regaining he composure, she spoke. “Well, ya’ see,” Applejack started, “There was too much of that alcohol-stuff at that party. Looks like the girls had their fair share and–”

Twilight cut her off. “But what about you?”

“I’ve had tastes before. Foul stuff; I’d take my apple cider any day,” Applejack stated plainly. “Le’me tell ya’, lonely night at that counter.”

Twilight nodded in sympathy. “Well, what now?”

“There’s not much to it: they wake up in the morning with no recollection of what happened tonight. That’s how it goes for all of them.” Applejack finished.

“But– what about my bed?” Twilight asked in alarm.

“No use tryin’ to get it back from them two,” Applejack’s words significantly fell in pitch and tempo, expressing no more interest to speak on that subject from her part. Twilight let it be.

“All right, then.” Twilight proceeded to gesture to the floor. “Looks like we’ll be sleeping in the guest beds tonight.” Twilight chuckled cheekily at her own joke. She lay down, and motioned to Applejack to do the same.

“Much ‘ppreciated.” Applejack drawled. She slowly trotted over to her “makeshift bed” and lay down.

Twilight’s purple glow surrounded the lightswitch, and the lights in the room flickered off. She closed her eyes. Once she calmed herself down after the day’s events, her senses heightened, and her surroundings came into a clear focus. She could faintly hear Rainbow Dash saying something upstairs, and Pinkie replying back sleepily. She heard a thump from her bed, and Pinkie yelling something in an interesting tone of voice. It was harsh and angry, but it had a tint of fear in it… Remembering Applejack’s hesitation to talk on the subject, Twilight shook her head to get it off her mind. She heard Rarity’s slow breathing from the other room. Twilight figured she must have fallen asleep. Fluttershy stirred on the ground, whispered a soft, “Woo-hoo…” and fell silent. Twilight figured she’d hit the alcohol hard.

Applejack interrupted her thoughts. “Wonder why they do it, y’know, party so much.”

“Like you don’t!” Twilight responded cheekily.

“Ha ha. Very funny.” Applejack said in a flat tone, sarcasm all but absent from her voice. “ Seriously, though. They hit clubs more than I’d like them to.”

“Maybe it’s just fun.” Twilight pondered sleepily, half to herself.

“Now that’s just a fact.” Applejack chuckled. “There is no denying that it’s fun.”

“I suppose I wouldn’t know too much about that.” Twilight responded, her voice falling away on the last few words.

“You’ve never been to a club?” Applejack replied, sounding rather alarmed at Twilight’s statement.

Applejack’s tone woke up Twilight up a little bit, and her voice sounded more alert. “I’ve been to Pinkie’s parties.” Twilight said defensively.

“Don’t ev’r tell Pinkie I said this,” Applejack continued in a whisper, “But six ponies dancing to music as old as Granny Smith hardly counts as anything at all.”

Twilight chuckled. “I guess so.”

“You really need to tag ‘long w’th us next time,” Applejack continued, “I’mean, how much can one evening hurt? Long as you stay away from that alcohol counter, Celestia knows what that’ll do to you…” Applejack caught herself, and fell quiet.

“I suppose,” Twilight voice slowed down as she considered her options. “How soon would that be?”

“Knowin’ them, it could be a week or two,” Applejack said flatly.

Twilight sighed. “Fine. You’re right, how much could one evening hurt.” With that, Twilight’s head hit the floor, and her snoring immediately echoed through the dark, quiet library. Applejack soon followed suit.

It is a curious thing, that of sleep. Filled with so many dreams, it can seem like days may go by in mere seconds. So many events can happen, when, in reality, they just are figments of the imagination, or, as some say, the longings of the mind…

* * *

A week often comes quickly to those who do not realize that it is passing. As was the case for Twilight Sparkle, whose stack of books was her week. She wouldn’t have had it any other way. Twilight found found the spell broken in the same manner as before, awoken from her vivid tales of many great adventures by a loud knock on the door.

“Applejack told us everything! You aren’t backing down on this one!” Pinkie’s voice cut through the wood door, filling Twilight’s ears with the thousand sharp daggers of her words.

Twilight grunted. There was no backing out of this one.

“Oh, c’mon,” Applejack’s voice sounded sympathetic. “It’ll be fun, and it won’t take much time away from your fancy books.”

Reluctantly, Twilight placed the nearest bookmark into her book. Then, turning towards the door, she did her best to put on a smile. After all, she didn’t want to disappoint her friends.

“Coming,” Twilight said in a sweet voice. She opened the door to face her friends. They looked all hyped up: they were ready to party.

“Ready?” Pinkie asked, her enthusiasm bursting out the seams.

“Oh yes.” Twilight smiled.