• Published 22nd Oct 2012
  • 745 Views, 0 Comments

Discord Daze - IcehailFlash



The story of the first band of ponies to strike at Discord in the days before Celestia and Luna.

  • ...
 0
 745

Chapter 6: Loyalty & Betrayal, part 1

Chapter 6: Loyalty & Betrayal
Part 1

Near the borders of the Alicorn Kingdom, a storm brews. In the Northern Kingdom, ponies dawn armor and pick up swords, spears, and axes. Their colors have faded and they all appear dull and gray from mane to hoof. In mass numbers they march south through the snow and ice. To the west, on the rolling oceans, huge wooden ships rise and fall with the torrential storm's waves. Each ship bears a different flag, waving in the wind and the rain, but they all sail toward the coast where the sun rises. In the south, through the woods, lightly armored ponies travel with droves of beasts northward. As the sun rises on the Alicorn kingdom, the border towns prepare to fight, and each send word back to the capital.


"I promise I won't abandon you," Starry says to Moonlight, back in the alleys, "Or our foal."

Moonlight hugs him tightly, still worried. "All I have is your word."

"I know," he says, and breaks the hug, "I swear to you, I won't become like your father."

"We'll see." She has her doubts, and turns away.

"I love you." Starry says back to her before he leaves, heading out on his way.

"I love you too."

As the couple parts, Sly moves back towards the castle. The sun begins rising in the east as he makes his ways to the prince's window. "Silvercoat," he says, tossing a pebble in and hitting the prince in the head. He stirs and awakens.

"Sly . . . news?" he says, groggy.

"Just one bit of killer news. Moonlight Serenade is pregnant with Starry Knight's foal."

Silvercoat jumps up and starts dressing. "Truly?"

"Yes, I heard them talking in the alley behind her theater."

As Silvercoat puts on a coat, he nods to him. "Thanks. If that's all, be gone quickly, it isn't private here."

Without a word, Sly leaves.


As the sun rises up higher, fully above the horizon, the first messenger flies in. Starry Knight trots into the castle, and as he makes his way in, a messenger swoops in after him. "Sir!"

Starry turns to him. "Yes?"

"We need to get the council, the king and the commanders down here at once."

Starry blinks and is taken aback for a moment. "Slow down, what's happened?"

The messenger hoofs a written message over to Starry. "A pirate raid is coming, a big one. One of our scouts reports a huge fleet headed our way. They counted at least two dozen ships, three or four masts each."

"Thos are big ships."

"The full report is in there," the messenger gestures to the note, "Along with a request for immediate military assistance to squash the bloody pirates before they get past the shoreline."

"I'll fetch the King if you fetch the council. They're in the refugee town, wrapping up reports and such."

"Right away sir." The messenger leaves out where he flew in.

Starry Knight moves quickly up the stairs to the king's chamber. Crystal Clear is there. "Where is she?" he asks her.

"Don't worry, my friend is taking care of her. Where were you all night?"

"Not important. We have a huge problem," he says moving into the room without waiting for permission from a doctor who waits guard out front, "I need to talk to the king immediately."

"Starry you can't go in there!" Crystal says, but is ignored, "What's going on?"

"Sir, I know it's important, but the king is very—"

"My king, a have word from our western border: a scout ship has reported a pirate fleet on its way to sack a coastal town. If you just give me the order, I can pass it down and we can send reinforcements without dealing with the council. I wouldn't have come to you if time was not of the essence."

The king coughs and looks up at him. "Go," he says and waves a hoof, "Send the word. If more news comes, send it to me."

"Yes, milord," Starry leaves the room and lets the doctors do their work.

"Starry," Crystal says, catching up with him, "What's going on? Are we being attacked."

"No, just a coastal town. We shouldn't have to worry about anything here, but I do need to act fast."

"Starry," Crystal says, "I don't like this."

"I know," he says, kissing her once and then leaving.

As Starry heads down to the throne room, the council stops him, and another messenger is with them. "Starry!" Senex calls to him as he tries to leave, "We need to convene on a matter of most importance!"

"No we don't, time is more important, and I already have direct orders from the king."

"I'm afraid the situation is not quite what we originally anticipated."

Starry stops then, and turns to face them. "What happened?"

The second messenger steps forth, and hoofs a report to Starry. "It's the Northern Kingdom, sire. From Castelle, our guards reported a huge army assembling in the Northern town of Crossroads."

Starry takes the report and reads a bit of it, and then looks back up. "Council, what do you make of this?"

"To us, it is clear," Senex says, "The forces were of gray color. Discord intends to attack us."

Starry Knight puts the report back away, and returns it to the messenger. Just then, the prince comes downstairs. "What's happening."

"I think we're at war," Starry says to him.

"War?"

Another alicorn charges into the room. She is out of breath and a bit beaten—scratches over her coat, and a black eye. A councilmember rushes to her. "Are you okay?"

"No!" she says, and pulls away, stepping forward, "The beasts of the south have united against us. They attacked three of our small towns on the borders of the woods."

"War." Starry says as he turns to go back upstairs. The prince joins him.

"Where are you going?"

"To your father," Starry tells him.

"But he's sick."

"He said to report more news to him."

"We don't need him." Silvercoat trots in front of him and stops. "Listen, we can take charge without him. He's a miserable old fool."

"If we must—" Starry begins, but Silvercoat already seems to know what he's about to say.

"We must."

"I will relieve him of duty for the time being."

"Don't even ask him."

Starry continues trotting.

"Starry," Silvercoat calls.

Starry goes once again through the door, causing alarm for all present. "My king. I have the worst news. Discord attacks with forces from all angles. We need the authority of law to take control and command this nation's defenses."

The king coughs and tries to get up, but falls to the ground. The doctors attempt to aide him and he lets them. "I am too ill.Starry," he says and then looks to Silvercoat, "and you too. Do what you have to. You have my authority."

"Thank you mi'lord," Starry leaves the room, and heads back downstairs.

"What?" Crystal says as he trots out of the room. Starry turns to give her a hug, and a deep kiss. She kisses back happily, lost in the moment.

"I have to go, my love," he says, "Take care of our filly."

"If something goes wrong, don't you come back dead."

"I don't plan on it."

"Starry we need to go," Silvercoat says. Starry pulls away from his wife and follows, picking up the pace.

"I've more experience with the northerners and they will need to be consulted. I'll take the 1st and 2nd armies and send them there immediately. Hopefully they will arrive in time to prepare a real defense. You organize the other three forces to move out to the west and the south."

"We have four others."

"Send the fourth to the east, and fan them out. Tell them to prepare for an attack. We can't take chances of being caught off guard on one side."

"I'm on it," Silvercoat says, "But it won't be enough. I'll try to organize mercenaries in the south and the west. You take the north, and this city."

"I'll need artillery in the north."

"It'd be better put to use in the west."

"The Northern Kingdom is separated by a bottleneck. With concentrated firepower, we may not even have to fight."

"You won't need that much then. I'm taking half of them."

"I don't like that plan, but fine." The two arrive back downstairs. "Senex," Starry calls out to the advisors, "Send word out. We need mercenary armies now. And you three," he points to the three messengers, "Go back to where you came from, tell them that we are fighting a war on all fronts, and that we are doing everything we can to bring in reinforcements. In the mean time, have them prepare their defenses as best as possible. They may need to hold off for a bit."

The three leave off again without thinking twice, racing to get word back.


Out in the refugee town, a meeting has been called. A crowd has gathered in the streets of the square. Starry hovers above them. "I have terrible news for all of you," he says, "I will be brief. Dicsord intends to strike, and what's worse, he's using those who did not escape from the Northern Kingdom on one end of the attack. Your kin have been turned and intend to wage war against us. We cannot show mercy. We must fight, and we must kill."

The crowd is in shock and debates amongst themselves. They seem torn at the situation.

"We are looking for volunteers and mercenaries to aid in our defense, and if necessary, our counter-attack. We can understand that there are those of you who will wish not to fight against your own brethren, or may wish to go onto that front. We will respect those wishes, whatever they are. If you wish to battle, take up a sword and fight. Move out with the armies as they leave. You have one hour to make your decision. After that, you will organize here with other mercenaries to be sent into battle."

Starry Knight leaves, flying off for the barracks where the troops are already being assembled.


As the armies move north, Starry Knight flies over the rest of the forces. Copper Arrows flies to his right. He carries a large bow, and a quiver of arrows, and he wears a dark gray cloak, matching the color and texture of storm clouds. Starry is in full, shining steel armor. Below them, Iron Sword, clad in dark, northern armor leads a legion of northern ponies. Altogether, they have three full armies.

"What's the plan, boss," Copper Arrows asks.

"You take the arrows and the sky fighters, and you keep the skies clear. If you see any artillery, send a team in to take it out. I'll be organizing the defensive forces, and Iron Sword will be working on the front along with Double Axe. If you get overwhelmed in the sky, fall back to the line and lead as many enemy forces to it as you can. We'll pick them out with my defensive lines."

"You got it," Copper Arrows says before flying back to his division, and flying ahead of the rest.

Starry Knight flies down to Iron Sword next. "You'll be leading the forward attack when you arrive. I'm going to fly ahead with my defensive forces and start lining them up."

"Understood," Iron Sword says before Starry flies back up, and flies onward with a legion of alicorns.


The northern town of Castelle is large. The buildings are made primarily out of stone and on its northern border is a long wall, stretching from a mountain range to a dense forest. The tops of the walls have been lined with trebuchets, and just inside of the walls, thousands of troops are lined up, and prepared for battle.

As the sun reaches the highest point in the sky, the Northern Kingdom ponies begin marching down towards the wall. There are thousands of them, if not tens of thousands.

The sky is dark—overcast. Sleet and snow and rain falls to the ground, making for the most miserable battlefield possible. "What's the situation, captain?" Starry asks as he flies into the forward command.

"The northern armies haven't made an offensive move yet. They're staying put by the border."

"Strange? They're waiting for us to prepare our defenses?"

"Too soon to say what they're doing."

Starry leaves the command post and flies up over the wall, looking out at the army in the distance. Suddenly, in a flash of lightning, Discord himself flies forth, and lands on the wall's ledge. A moment of panic takes hold, and the soldiers jump back before preparing for combat. Starry lands directly before him.

"Your attacks in the south and your ensemble of troops here are being considered a declaration of war by the Alicorn Kingdom. Withdraw your troops and we can negotiate a peaceful end to this conflict."

Discord yawns in the middle of the Starry's speech, stretching out. His fingers snap and a stone throne appears for him to sit back in. "Oh, who wants peace?" he begs, "Peace is so boring."

"Enough with your games—"

"Oh games?" The draconequus seems more interested now, and snaps his throne back out of existence. "I haven't even started playing games today, and you're already tired of them. Don't you at least want to hear the rules?"

The alicorn was stern. "No. Order the attacks off, now, or we will be forced to launch an attack of our own."

"Oh you're big and scary with your troops surrounding you," Discord snaps his fingers, and suddenly, he and Starry Knight are in some far off place. "Let's see how well you fare without them."

"Where are we?"

"That's not the game, Starry."

Starry rolls his eyes and sigh. "Fine. I'll play your game for now. But under the condition that you hold off the attacks."

"Oh you're just no fun," Discord says, snapping his fingers and disappearing. A moment later he reappears behind Starry. "Fine, I've ordered everypony to stay put."

"Good," Starry says, "Now get on with it."

As Starry continues making demands, Discord takes a drink of glass, and tosses the remaining water to the side where it shatters. "Very well," he says, "I've hidden myself within your kingdom, and disguised myself as somepony you know. I could be a friend, I could be an enemy . . . I could be a lover. And let me just say, you're not as good in the sack as you think you are."

Starry's eyes widen at the notion, and he cringes at the thought that Discord could have made his way into his life in such a personal way.

"In 24 hours, I will set off my plans and traps aimed at somepony you hold dear. And they will die."

"You're a monster."

Discord laughs and smiles. He snaps his fingers and a vision of Iron Sword, Copper Arrows, Silvercoat, the Queen, the King, Moonlight Serenade, and Crystal Clear float around Starry. "I'll offer you a clue. I have, at least once, taken on the roles of one of these ponies you see here. You have 24 hours to find out who I am and reverse my plan. If you fail, one of these ponies will die."

"Then teleport us back."

"Ah ah ah," Discord wags a talon, "I haven't explained the rules, just the goal. For starters. If you tell anypony about our little game, the deal's off. I'll set my trap off early, and I'll attack on all sides. If you try to send soldiers to help you, the deal is off. Last but not least. If you try to single out the wrong pony as being me, your time gets cut short by 4 hours. And the best part: if you win, then I'll call all of my forces off. 24 hours. Starting . . . now." With a final snap of his fingers, Starry was back in his spot on the wall, and Discord was long gone.

"Sir?" one of the soldiers asks Starry.

"Carry on," Starry says, flying off of the wall and through the air, searching for Copper Arrows.


Meanwhile, Discord and Copper Arrows were meeting atop a mountain. Copper had an arrow drawn on his bow, aimed at Discord. He fired, and the arrow turned into ribbons at the snap of the dragonequus's fingers. "Oh come now, Copper," he says, "I'm on your side, here."

The alicorn archer wastes no time in drawing another arrow and firing. Discord snaps his fingers, and an apple appears on his head. The arrow changes direction and hits it. "No, really. You can trust me," he says as he takes the arrowed apple and eats it like a candy apple, which, after another snap of his fingers, it becomes.

"What do you want from me?"

"I want to help you out." He takes another bite, and then eats the arrow itself.

"Then leave my kingdom alone."

"You really don't realize how much of a disservice that would be to you."


Back in Castelle, Starry Knight had met up with Iron Sword. "Have you seen Copper?" he asks.

"No, I thought he was patrolling the skies," Iron said.

"His whole army has vanished. Discord and I have negotiated a 24 hour ceasefire. I need you to come with me back to the capital."

"Sure," he says, "Whatever you say.


A quick teleportation spell brings the two into the castle. "Alright," he says, "I need you to wait here while I go find the King."

A good old fashioned teleportation spell. They take a lot more energy than you'd think so we try to use them sparingly.

"Uhh . . . sure?" Iron says, confused, "Starry, what's going on?"

"I can't explain," he says as he heads up the stairs, "I just need you to trust me for now."

After charging up the stairs, he opens the door to the King's room to find it empty, save for a single servant. "What?"

The maid turns to him. "I'm sorry, can I help you, mi'lord?"

"Where's the King?"

"He felt an awful lot better and left to aid in commanding the defenses to the south."

Starry turns and leaves without another word. "Iron," he says as he comes back into the court.

"Yes?"

"I need you to go find the Queen, can you do that?" he asks.

"Sure thing."

"Tell her I need to talk to her when you find her," he shouts as they both part ways. Starry flies through the castle doors, out into the town. It was bright here, with clouds off in the distance, but mostly sunny.

After flying overhead, Starry comes down into an alley behind Moonlight's theater. "Moonlight!" he shouts to her as he catches her trotting into the back door.

Moonlight turns and gallops back to hug him. "Starry!" she exclaims, "Is the fighting already over?"

"No," he says, "It's gotten complicated."

"What?"

"I can't explain. You might be in danger."

"Starry, what's going on?"

He hugs her tight. "I'm sorry." Then he remembers Discord's words: I could be a lover. He pulls away, and shakes his head, his mind consumed by the thought.

"Please tell me what's wrong."

"I can't," he says, "Unless you're Discord."

"What?" Moonlight looks even more puzzled. Did he actually suggest what she thought he did?

Overhead, the sun suddenly shifts in the sky, changing the shadows of the buildings. Starry sighs with relief, and pulls her back into a tight hug, and gives her a kiss. She pushes him away, confused, and concerned for the both of them, and her unborn foal.

"Please, Starry," she begs as she holds him tightly, "Tell me what's happening."

"I'm sorry, but if I tell, things could get ugly," he says as he pulls away again, and turns to leave. "Please, be careful." He then takes off, and heads back to the castle.

As he lands in the court once again, the Queen approaches. "What is going on that you need me to come here but can't wait for me to arrive?" She seems irritated with his manners.

"I have reason to believe that Discord has infiltrated the kingdom, via subterfuge."

"What makes you so sure?"

"He told me so, and I can't really get too into it."

"So he's disguised himself? For how long?"

"I don't know. But if I could point out without making any direct accusations. You, your husband, your son and your daughter, and two of my friends are on the suspect list."

"Without making an accusation? You just named my entire family. How dare you!"

"Just one of you, and everyone else on that list is in serious danger."

The queen looks shocked, and takes a step back, not knowing what to think. "Well, with any luck, it'll be my husband who takes the axe."


Copper Arrows looks into the small pond at the scene that transpires between Starry and Moonlight. "I don't believe it," he says to Discord as he puts the thought aside.

"Oh, why not?" he asks as he turns on another scene, the one of the night when Moonlight and Starry set up the date between them.

"Lies!" he shouts as he turns away, looking out across the mountain range, trying to figure out where he is. "Why would he? How could he? It's just not true . . . it can't be true." As he mutters to himself, his form is washed over with magic, and he turns a darker shade.

"If he's lying, why don't you confront him yourself?"

"Alright, I will! To prove you wrong!" Within an instant, they both vanish.


Copper appears back at the castle, in the court where Starry, Iron Sword, and the Queen were talking. "Copper!" Starry says as he approaches. He then stops, noting the altered color of his coat and mane, which grows a shade darker as he takes angry steps towards his friend.

"Starry," he says, with concern, fear, and anger, "Is it true?"

"Is what true?" he asks. The Queen takes a step forward as well, wondering what's happening.

"Wait, where did you come from?" Iron asks, "And you're so dark . . . like the northern ponies after Discord's possession."

"Shut up! You know very well what I'm talking about!" He sniffles, heart-broken.

"Copper, I have to ask," Starry says, "Are you Discord?"

"What?" he steps back. "No!"

"How do we know if he's telling the truth?" the Queen asks.

Outside, the sun shifts a few more paces, and the shadows of taller buildings move into the court. "He's telling the truth," Starry says, "That narrows it down."

"Don't change the subject! Just tell me, Starry."

Starry takes steps towards him. "Tell you what, Copper? We're a little busy here. As a soldier, you ought to know you place, especially now, when we are at war!"

"It's true," Copper's shade turns darker, almost full grayscale, "You and Moonlight—"

"Who?" The Queen asks.

"He has a crush on a mare named Moonlight," Starry says, trying to keep a straight face, "Copper, did Discord get to you, too? He's a liar, you know."

Within an instant, the archer vanishes. "Starry . . . who is Moonlight Serenade. Please tell me you haven't—"

"No," Starry says.

Just then, another alicorn rushes into the castle. "Mi'lady!" he says. He's a sunraiser, dressed in a silver and gold robe, "We're losing control. We have no idea what's happening."

"Starry, enough of this nonsense," the Queen demands, "Tell us what's going on? You said you met with Discord. Did he tell you he was here?"

"Yes," Starry says.

"So what, then? You took his word for it?" Iron asks, "You just said it yourself, Discord lies."

"I suppose you're right. That thought didn't cross my mind. He gave me a list of ponies though. And we're down to just the royal family."

"Starry," Iron says as he thinks, "You never asked me."

"What?"

"How can you know for sure I'm not Discord?"

"How did you know you were on the list?"

"I'm not an idiot. You dragged me away from the front lines for a reason. And honestly, who's the best suspect here? I came from the Northern Kingdom."

"I can't explain any further, but it'd be a waste of time to ask you."

"So you do suspect us, then?" the Queen asks.

"Are you Discord?" Starry asks the queen.

"No." The sun moves to set.

"The King, prince Silvercoat, Crystal, Copper and you, Iron," Starry says, "That's the list. I can guess only three more times, so let's narrow it down."

"Ask him," the Queen says.

"What?"

"I want to know for sure if, after all this time, Discord is one of my closest family."

Starry sighs, and looks to Iron Sword. "Are you?"

"No," Iron says, and the sun sets, moving beyond the horizon.

"Where's Crystal?" Starry asks.

"You're going to waste a chance on her?" the Queen raises a brow.

"Discord made the implication that he could have been a lover. If it gets narrowed down to just two ponies . . . I just have to know."

"She's upstairs, sleeping. Recall, it was morning less than four hours ago. Tell me first, though. Why didn't you explain all this from the start? Why'd we have to figure it out?"

Starry rolls his eyes. "It's against the rules for me to explain what's happening."

"Rules . . . a game?" Iron Sword questions.

"If I could do this alone, I'd appreciate it," Starry says as he moves towards the stairs.


Starry enters his bedroom. Crystal is taking a nap, and so is their foal. He sighs and sits on the bed next to her. A hoof moves over to shake her shoulder. "Wake up," he says.

She slowly stirs, and looks out the window to see darkness. "Do you know what time it is?" she mumbles, "let me sleep."

He leans over and asks, very bluntly, "Are you Discord?"

She blinks and shakes her head, giggling a little at the question. "No, are you?"

"I would hope not," he says. He kisses her on the cheek and leaves the room. Outside, the moon picks up some distance in the sky, and the night grows darker.

Starry goes back downstairs and heads for the door. "Alright," he says, "The king and the prince. They're each fairly likely to be Discord. The king because he's been a lazy, arrogant, selfish stallion ever since he's taken the throne. The prince because he's a lying, backstabbing little brat. So we've got a 50/50 chance here. Any more evidence?"

"I've got nothing," Iron says.

"I'd imagine it's my husband," the Queen says.

"Any idea where he is?"

"No."

"Well, let's find him."