• Published 20th Oct 2012
  • 2,643 Views, 41 Comments

Home is Where the Heart is - dartmaul15



After a particularly taxing tour of duty outside Equestria, Twilight is more than happy to be return

  • ...
6
 41
 2,643

Chapter 1. Homecoming

Home is Where the Heart is

Chapter 1

Homecoming

Twilight was sitting on the train from Canterlot to Ponyville, staring out of the window. She could barely glimpse the first contours of the town way up ahead. The unicorn smiled to herself; to think the very same trip had once filled her with dread four years ago almost sounded insane to her. Now it was considered home. ‘Home…’ Twilight sighed inwardly, leaning her head against the window. Lazy eyes watched as homes and buildings began to blur along as the train sped on, breaking up the view of the blue expanse above. Buildings… Homes… They all seemed so unfamiliar and alien to her now; she had spent most of her recent years in different army barracks along Equestria’s borders with only short breaks to see her friends. The sky itself was nearly devoid of any clouds, save for a single tiny one lingering high above town. Even after six months of absence, Twilight knew she would find Rainbow Dash napping on it.

That thought made her pause.

Had it really been so long since she left? It was more than a little hard to believe; she could still remember her friends’ reactions before her first deployment. Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Pinkie Pie encouraged her, taking the news the easiest. Rainbow had even wanted to join her. Twilight chuckled slightly. She wasn’t entirely sure if Pinkie understood what she was going to do, but at least she seemed happy. She even threw her a party to celebrate her accomplishment of becoming an arch mage, and since then declared it necessary to throw her a party whenever she came back, left or just whenever she felt for it. Fluttershy was unsurprisingly worried and at the same time supportive. There was something about that mare she would never understand. An angry butterfly could make her shiver and run for hiding, but she could stand up against a dragon for a friend. Then there was Rarity…

Twilight’s thoughts were derailed as she felt the train slowing down, and soon the first buildings of the train station blurred past the window. The deceleration of the train almost forced her out of the seat until the train came to a standstill just in front of the main station building. A quick look at her checklist was all she needed before she was ready to step out of the train and unto the small city. Twilight stood up, trotted out of her coupé and exited the train.
It was time to meet her friends again.

Twilight placed her hooves on the paving of Ponyville for the first time in a long time. The faint breeze pulled slightly at her mane and tail, making it dance a bit with the wind. With a deep breath she began trotting aimlessly down the main road, taking in the familiar sights and ponies with a smile. It really was good to be back in Ponyville; to be home. The barracks weren’t bad, per say; they were considered “home away from home” to her. But it was good to get away from them, to return to Ponyville. She always enjoyed coming back, but this time it was better than usual. A small dispute with the deer-kin had escalated to the point of which fighting had erupted. The skirmishes itself weren’t a problem. Worse was the extensive nerve damage she had received after a deer had managed to impale her left flank with its antlers. Only quick thinking and a large dose of magic had saved her from extensive damage. Running for long periods of times, however, were putting a painful strain on her leg, something that worried her.

She quickly turned her thoughts to a more positive view. She was back in Ponyville, and she’d get to see her friends again… to see Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack and Rarity.

Rarity… She had always been and would always be intangible. Every time Twilight departed, there was something with the fashionista’s glassy eyes. The glassiness came from unshed tears, she knew that much. But the expression... it had given her a great many of nights awake wondering what was written in them. Those longing eyes, hungering for something, craving. The true message in those eyes still eluded her, and would likely do so for a long time.
Twilight snapped out of her chain of thoughts again, noticing to her horror and delight that she was standing right in front Rarity’s boutique. She was slightly surprised. She managed to trot from the station and all the way to the Carousel Boutique without being greeted, surprised by or in other ways met Pinkie Pie. Heck, her old record was about halfway from the station to the town square. ‘Oh well, I guess she’s baking or pranking someone with RD. I just hope they don’t cause too much of a mess. At least it gives me an entire day to spend with Rarity.’ Her heart skipped a beat just thinking about it. She had tried innumerable times to figure exactly what it was about the mare that always got her heart up and kept her fighting, but the answer eluded her more efficiently than Rainbow Dash taking a nap on a cloudy day.

Twilight pushed the door open with butterflies in her stomach, eager to see Rarity again.
‘What? Why am I so nervous? It’s just Rarity. So what if I haven’t seen her in a while? She’s still one of my best friends of four years.’ Twilight pushed those thoughts back into her head as she entered the boutique. She shut the door behind her a little harder than she realized, making a bang echo across the large room.
The sound sent her heart rate skyrocketing. Adrenaline surged through her as she looked hastily around the boutique, searching frantically for the source of the sound. Realization struck once she looked back at the door, and the mare let out a shaky, frustrated sigh. ‘It’s nothing. Just the door…’ Even with the reassurance, her heart continued to beat rapidly with tension. ‘What’s wrong with me? I’m a soldier for Celestia’s sake, not some coward afraid of every loud sound!’ A few deep breaths calmed her down. ‘Now, where’s Rarity?’ Twilight took a good look around the boutique but it yielded no results. There wasn’t anypony there but her. At least that’s what she thought until she heard the scribbling of a pencil in one of the more closed-away rooms of the boutique. “She must be busy sketching up her next dress...” Twilight whispered silently to herself granting her some relief. At least something hadn’t changed. She gently trotted towards the door, careful not to step on pieces of textile or damage something.

With another breath, she quietly pushed open the door. For the first time in a long time, her eyes landed on Rarity. The mere sight of her brought her heart a-flutter.
Perfect was a word she rarely used, but it was the only word she could think of to properly describe her fellow unicorn. Her mane and tail, a deep indigo that contrasted attractively against the stark white of her smooth coat. The gentle contours of her body, from her horn down to her flank. It was art in the form of a pony. Twilight's eyes lingered on the tri-diamond cutie mark before she suddenly stopped her though process. She didn’t know where the thoughts were taking her, but she surely didn’t like it.

What she didn't care to stop was the surprise she felt; she didn't think she'd forget how beautiful Rarity really was. Beautiful indeed... the stallion to get her attention would be the luckiest stallion in all of Equestria. But per now Rarity’s attention was directed at the sketch she was obsessing over. At least there wasn't any surprise in finding the snow-coated unicorn buried in her work.

“Just a moment, darling.” Rarity didn’t even look up, which was normal for her when she was working. “Just let me finish the last few details here. Then I'll be right with you.” The whole thing brought a strange sense of nostalgia to Twilight, bidding a smile to her face.

"That’s ok, Rarity. Take your time. I know how you want everything to be perfect." Twilight chuckled, knowing the seamstress wouldn't even register her voice. It was normal for Rarity; when dressmaking she shut-out nearly anything and anyone when an important detail was concerned. She even managed to forget her weekly trip to the spa with Fluttershy once.
'I guess she hasn't changed much.' The soldier thought fondly.

“So, how can I he…” Rarity fell of the chair in surprise when she saw who it was. Well, she would have fallen of the chair if Twilight hadn’t caught her in her hooves. “Twilight… but you are… you were… but how… oh, it’s good to see you darling!” Rarity’s cheeks and the tip of her ears were reaching a color tone suspiciously similar to scarlet red. A tone in which Twilight found quite enthralling, however not as enthralling as Rarity’s eyes. There were no way not to avoid looking back into those blue eyes; it was just too tempting. She didn’t try to fight it either; she just stared deep into those hypnotic pools of blue. Rarity’s eyes mirrored the exact same look they held every time Twilight left for her deployment. Only this time she started to recognize what they spoke of. She'd seen it countlessly when her fellow soldiers received visits or letters from their lover. It was affection…

Affection which was centered on her.

‘Wait, Rarity is… that means that… she loves me?' It would certainly explain a thing or two; Rarity’s increased interest in her, the look in her eyes, her tiny suggestive moves... She had always thought the last one was directed towards the stallions in Ponyville. ‘That’s how wrong one can get.’ Twilight didn’t dare to say it out loud, but she was pretty sure that it was more than just a friendship between them. Rarity obviously loved her, but she wasn’t so sure about it herself. ‘No, it’s so wrong. She’s stuck here all day, and I'm spending my life fighting for Equestria. What if I get hurt, or even die? It would be heartbreaking for her. No, it’ll never work’.

Rarity's stare became deeper and her blush returned. She opened her mouth and hesitated a little before speaking with a soft caring voice. “Twilight, darling. Don’t hide the feelings. I can see them in your eyes. You need to let them out. I… need them" Rarity fluttered her eyelashes in a way that was only endearing when done by her. There was no way in Equestria anypony could manage to resist it, and neither could Twilight. She knew deep in her heart that they both wanted each other. Rarity moved slightly closer, her eyes shining with nothing but the truest of love even capable of competing with the love between Shining armor and Cadence. Twilight could do nothing more than return the gaze. She desperately wanted this to work, but she knew she couldn't start it. It would just hurt them both in the long run, knowing they wouldn’t be able to see each other until she got back after each deployment. Even after that she would be busy with her duties as a royal Arch Mage. She bit her lip, desperately trying to hold back, but she knew it wouldn’t help. They loved each other, and they both knew it. There was nothing in all of Equestria who could separate them, not even Celestia herself.

Rarity’s kiss took her completely off guard. Those soft lips pressing against hers... her hot breath… it was magical. She wanted the moment to last forever despite knowing it wouldn’t. The kiss ended as abruptly as it had started. Despite its short duration it was among the best experiences in her life, and it told her one thing.
This was going to be two fantastic months.


Authors Notes

A big thanks to Eartsong9405 at deviantart for prof reading and making the cover picture. This story wouldn't have been here if it wasn't for her.