• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 3,604 Views, 36 Comments

The First Twilight - darkforce95



Twilight Sparkle meets the first mediator between the two princesses of the heavens.

  • ...
12
 36
 3,604

2 - The Legend

The ride to Canterlot was fairly stressful. For one thing, the unknown male being forced to sleep the whole way there kept Rainbow Dash on edge. She, in turn, kept everyone of the girls on edge with her audible frustrations about the boy. For Twilight, this compounded her nerves since the reply from the Princesses over this boy was so...

Not them...


Upon their return to Ponyville, Twilight instantly sent a letter detailing Star Dusk's discovery and her estimated arrival to Canterlot with the newly created map. Before she could get ready for the trip Spike came to her with the Princesses reply.

Twilight,

Make haste in your preparations. Please bring this 'discovery' of yours as soon as possible. Please make no further efforts to contact us over this topic, it shall remain between the eight of us. To assist in your transportation, we have sent a private train with priority to leave or pass through each station before any other train. We cannot stress how important it is that you reach us with speed and in the safest manner possible...


She turned to look at the boy. He had been asleep the whole trip thus far, mostly thanks to the sleep spell she casted. They had brought him to the doctor in Ponyville and got him cleared of all injury. The spell was only for safety's sake, his as well as theirs. Twilight couldn't be sure how he would react to the new world around him, and there was no telling what Rainbow's pushy questions would do to him. She remembered when Rainbow had mistrusted her as a spy on the night Nightmare Moon had returned. She had felt helpless against that onslaught of questions. Had it not been for Applejack calming Rainbow down, she would have ran away, adding to the suspicions.

"Yawn Well, I'm gonna turn in ladies. It's gettin' late." admitted Applejack.

"I think it's time we all did the same." agreed Rarity.

"Twilight, you'll keep him sleeping the whole way there right?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"Yeah, but I'm going to stay up a bit longer. It's almost time to refresh the spell." She replied.

"Alright then," the athlete replied. "Once that's done bring him over to our cabin so I can keep an eye on him."

"Why not two eyes?" asked Pinkie as they shuffled to the sleep car.

Sorry Rainbow, Twilight apologized silently, But I want to know what's making the Princesses act so strangely.

In truth, she had refreshed the spell giving enough time until morning. However, now she was removing the spell and waiting for him to come to.

After a few minutes, the auburn haired youth slowly opened his eyes. Twilight was ready with the spell once again if he freaked out, but it didn't seem necessary. He stretched a bit, his joints audibly cracking.

"Goodness, it feels like I slept for ages!" he said slowly bringing his arms down and relaxed back in the chair. "So, how shall we begin this conversation?"

Twilight blinked. He already knew she wanted just to speak? Why isn't he freaked out about being in the train? According to History of the Guard, which she read to verify what she remembered as soon as she got back to Ponyville, he should be from over a thousand years in the past!

"If thou has not lost thy voice, then use thy tongue to speak the questions in thy thoughts." He said still looking forward, away from her.

Twilight stared for a moment. He speaks just like Princess Luna used to. Although without the overwhelming force, but he speaks with just the same amount of confidence.

He finally turned to her, seemingly in an effort to let her know he was talking to her: "I will listen to thy questions first, then thou shall answer mine."

She blinked again. No royal we. Well, he's not royalty.

"Well, you probably have a lot more questions than I do. You should probably start first." she said finally.

He smiled warmly, "Verily, I was beginning to think thee a mute. However, dear lady, thou shall have the first question as it seems they are more pressing than mine."

A soft warmth came to Twilight's face at the prospect of being a 'dear lady' before putting it out of her mind. She inhaled and began:
"Whoareyou?Whyareyounotfreakingout?Imeanitsbeenonethousandyears,youmustfeelabitoverwhelmed....."

Five straight minutes of questions and four more deep inhales and she was done. She put her head down and took deep ragged breaths to recover. It didn't take long for the realization that she overwhelmed him with so many questions all at once. If he wasn't stressed before with all the changes around him, then for sure he must have been overwhelmed at all the rapid fire questions. She slowly looked up, worried of what his face was going to look like. To her surprised the guard was smiling. More than that, he was trying to stifle his laughter though he was doing a great job of that only letting out a small chuckle.

"In truth, I will not be able to answer naught but the first of thy questions. Some due to the safety of the kingdom being at stake, others due to the great haste of thy words."

"Then," she cut in. "Just answer these questions, who are you, what were you doing there, and what was, or is, your relationship with the Princess?"

"I cannot answer what I was doing there other than I was on a mission for the Princess, I apologize for that dear lady."

"Twilight."

"Pardon?"

"My name is Twilight Sparkle."

"It seems thou will seek to answer at least one of my questions before I answer any of thine." he responded with a smile. "Very well Twilight Sparkle, I will answer the other two of thine questions. First, I am Star Dusk. From my attire you can gather that I am one of the Princess' guards."

"And your relationship to the Princess?"

"Her guard."

"No, I get that that was your job. But what is your relationship to her?"

"I suppose that either I do not fully understand the question or thou does not understand my answer. I was the Princess' guard no more, no less."

Twilight sunk back in her chair, deep in thought. Then why did the Princesses act so.... hostile? No, more worried, about him. She thought deeply on it for about a minuted before Star Dusk spoke up again.

"Apologies, Twilight Sparkle. It is seems that my answers were not adequate." He said somberly.

"Oh, no no no." she replied quickly. "It's only that I had some questions still floating in my head. But I think we'll have to wait to see the Princess before I get them answered."

"If the Princess permits, then perhaps I may speak more freely on whatever topics thou pleases. Now, if thou does not mind..."

"No, go right ahead."

"Since I already know thy name, I shall ask on our method of conveyance." he asked turning his head to the dark night outside.

"Oh, this is a train! It's a series of cars that are linked together and the engine is powered by steam in order to push us forward!" It was an opportunity to lecture which Twilight could not pass up. He would ask questions about the present and she would answer him as completely as possible. She wasn't quite sure if he understood all the scientific terms but he listened to her lectures the whole way through. Once dawn had arrived, Star Dusk walked into the center aisle and stretched his whole body.

"Then it is true. Much has changed since last I was awake." he said forlornly. He seemed like everything has finally stacked on.

"That may be true, but-"

"HEY!" a voice called out from the direction of the sleep car. Twilight turned and saw a clearly agitated Rainbow Dash. "What the heck is he doing awake?"

Star Dusk turned to Twilight. "A friend of-" before he could finish Rainbow dashed over and tackled him to the floor.

"Rainbow, wait! He's not-" in another instant he brought his palm to Rainbow Dash's face and pushed her off him as if she was light as a feather. The next moment he popped up into a standing position, grabbed her, threw her down, and pinned her to the floor. He straddled her body and placed his knees on her wings, right hand pinning her left arm, and his left forearm pushing down on her throat.

"Thou has picked thy opponent most terribly young one!" he said pushing his forearm deeper into her throat. Rainbow was gasping for air her right arm trying in vain to pull his arm away. Twilight mouth was agape and eyes as wide as dinner plates. One of her most athletic friends was just thrown around like a rag doll, without the use of magic even!

"Imma comin' Rainbow!!" yelled Applejack running down the aisle.

"No, AJ wait!" cried Twilight in a feeble attempt to stop her friends from hurting themselves. Suddenly the car halted sharply throwing Applejack forward and Twilight kept herself up right using the seat in front of her. Star got up off his knees and divided his weight between his right arm and his feet that posted outward gripping the floor. The blonde girl tripped and landed face first behind the two on the floor.

"Now arriving at Canterlot!" said a voice over the intercom. "Now arriving-"

"GET OFFA ME!" Rainbow yelled using her newly liberated wings to hit her target.

"ENOUGH!" Twilight cried out, eyes glowing full of magical power. She rushed forward and before Star or Rainbow could react she cast the sleep spell on both of them.


"Seriously, why is that I have to carry him?" complained Rainbow Dash.

"Because, you won't let me wake him up AND it's because of you that I had to put him back to sleep again." said Twilight clearly agitated.

"An' I carried him all the way to to th' train from out where we found him." Applejack pointed out. "I'm plum tuckered out" she finished theatrically.

The six made their way to the the palace labyrinth outside the castle having been told that's where the princesses were waiting for them 'away from prying ears' by the letter left with the throne room guards.

"Hey Twilight, you know history right?" said Pinkie stopping behind.

"Not all of it b-"

"Who was Starshine Dust?" The pink haired girl asked turning to the group that waited for her.

Twilight thought for a moment before arriving at the answer. "That's not history Pinkie, that's myth! Starshine was mythological hero. He did the most amazing things, but we don't have time for stories now."

Pinkie began poking at the boy in tow. "What are you doing now?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"Don't you think he looks kinda like Starshine Dust over there." She replied pointing at the statue she read the title from. They all walked over and saw she was right.

"'Cept for the clothes, he's the spittin' image of Dusky here." said Applejack.

"But that makes no sense!" said Twilight. "He was a myth, the things he was said to do were impossible!"

"We could always ask him." said Pinkie knocking on his head again.

"Hey quit that. We don't need him to wake up." said Rainbow moving him away from Pinkie.

"Actually Rainbow," Rarity began, "I wouldn't mind hearing him out. Especially with this new information coming to light coupled with whatever is making the Princesses so secretive..."

"No, we don't know what he could do! He was choking me for crying out loud!"

"Only cause you took him down to the floor first." retorted Twilight putting her hand to his forehead once more.

"Ugh, fine! Don't blame me when he runs amok later."

Star's eyes slowly fluttered open again. Putting his weight under his legs again, he stood on his own rubbing his neck.

"Twilight Sparkle," he said seeing the first familiar face. "What has happened?"

"Sorry, I had to put you to sleep before you hurt my friend or she hurt you." she answered apologetically.

"I was not any where near hurting her!" he defended.

"Yeah right!" shot back Rainbow.

"Believe me when I say that had I wished it, you would not be here winged one."

"The brash one," interrupted Twilight, "is Rainbow Dash. And she's terribly sorry for attacking you like that, AREN'T YOU RAINBOW?"

Rainbow huffed in response but extended a hand in peace which Star Dusk took begrudgingly.

"Ah'm Applejack, pleased to be makin' your acquaintance!"

"The pleasure is all mine."

"I am Rarity good sir! I hope your reputation as a gentleman by Twilight, is well deserved."

"I hope I am given the opportunity to demonstrate it Lady Rarity."

"I'm Pinkie Pie! And you sound like I would have thought the statue would sound!"

"The what?"

"You... um... have a statue. It isn't you though, but... um.... he looks a lot like you, but if you think it doesn't that's okay too." Fluttershy offered pointing the way to the statue. Star walked up to the statue, taking note of the different name but uncanny resemblance.

"Twilight Sparkle," he began.

"Yes?"

"How many years has it been since I last was in Canterlot?"

"By my estimation, well over one thousand years. Although I'm not sure exactly."

"One thousand five hundred fifty-seven years, eight months, fifteen days to be precise." said a voice coming up behind them. Everyone turned around to see both Princesses walking up.

"We were wondering what could have taken you so long." continued Princess Luna. Everyone knelt down low as the Princesses walked closer, their hair billowing and ethereal wings folded behind them. Luna and Celestia walked up to the young man who kept his face down low.

"Arise young knight, and properly greet your Princesses!" boomed Luna in the traditional royal Canterlot voice.

Star slowly rose taking the Princess' hand in his and kissed it softly, "Thy humble servant has returned, your highness." he said before moving to Princess Celestia and repeating the gesture. After completion of the obviously archaic ritual, both Princesses closed in and hugged him tightly. He was visibly frozen by the gesture.

"Princesses, please! This is most improper!" he said wiggling himself out of their grasp.

"Hardly Star Dusk." countered Princess Celstia, "After losing you on that mission so many years ago, it would be IMproper to greet you in any less of a fashion. After all, Luna's personal guard is like family to us."

"Wait, WHAT?" asked Twilight.

"Yes Twilight Sparkle, Star Dusk was, is, my own personal guard. We thought him dead when he did not return from the last mission he was sent on!" Luna seemed to have a smile that must have been at least one thousand years in the making.

"Luna, why don't you catch up Star on what's been happening in his absence." Said Celestia.

"Come Star Dusk, allow me to educate you!" said Luna jokingly although it seemed to confuse the young knight.

"Princess," began Twilight once the two had left. "Can you explain to us a little bit more about him? I mean, why does it look like the statue of the mythological hero seem like it's modeled after him?"

"Because it is, although not just the statue. All the stories about Starshine Dust were modeled after either his actual exploits or bedtime stories he would tell Luna when she was smaller."

Everyone stood agape at the comment. Really? Like really really? This myth is not a myth? Twilight tried to wrap her head around all the revelations that were happening at once.

"It seems I'll have to start from the beginning to let you understand a bit more." she continued closing her eyes as if to remember a long old tale.

"When Star Dusk became Luna's personal guard, it was at the behest of our parents..."

"WAIT, stop right there... No offense Princess but you had parents?" interupted Rainbow.

"Did you not have parents?" pointed out Celestia

"Well yeah but-"

"Then what makes you think that we didn't?" she continued smiling, showing she wasn't offended. "Just because we have a longer lifespan than most people, doesn't mean we were never birthed. Now, as I was saying...

"His appointment was at the behest of our parents. It may not look like it, but Star Dusk has a number of years on Luna. And to answer your question, no I am still older than he is. He would tell her stories of grand adventures he would be on whenever he was not around, some based in fact. Others would be great fantastical fictions entertain her before bed."

All of a sudden the Princesses demeanor changed.

"Then one day, he went on a mission that was so important, my parents had to go with him. I was too young to be a part of the group that new what the mission was. It was months before he returned, battered, bruised, and barely conscious. He arrived without my parents and they would never arrive again."

The Princess took a chance to breathe, suppressing that memory. Twilight could tell that that memory hurt something fierce.

"After tough bouts of questioning from my new advisers, he reclaimed his post as Luna's guard. I had noticed however that he wasn't quite himself. He never smiled on his own, never came up with any stories not even for entertainment. Then one day he came up to me and asked if I could erase some of his memories. I asked him why but he just said it was necessary to make Luna happy again, apparently she had taken notice of his change of character. I agreed on one condition, that he let me see the memory that he wished to erase..."

Suddenly, there was a shriek from Princess Luna from inside the labyrinth.

"Luna!" cried Celestia, fanning out her incorporeal wings and taking to the air. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy followed suit with the others quickly running into the maze being guided to the location by Fluttershy.

In front of them all in the small clearing was a group of ten to twenty creatures. They seemed almost like a more 'alive' version of the husks out in the territory that they were exploring just days prior.

"Come on girls!" said Twilight as the six took formation. "Let's do this!"

"Wait," said Luna regaining her confidence. "I nearly had forgotten my personal guard. Please stand back and allow him to do his job."

"There's no way he could handle all of that on his own!" said Rainbow.

Celestia blocked the girls path from advance. "This should be enough to show what was myth and what was history."

Star took a position completing a triangle formation between Luna and the group.

"Star Dusk, if you please..." Luna said with a disinterest of a monarch looking at a ruffian that was ruining her party.

"With pleasure, your highness!" he said getting into a fighting stance. "I hope thou art prepared, for with the Princess' permission, thou shalt not leave unscathed!"