• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 1,359 Views, 10 Comments

Hands and Arms - Dramaro



A small spell turns into disaster as something foul churns within the island of Sapios.

  • ...
3
 10
 1,359

Chapter 1 - Rarity's Fault

Chapter 1

“Twilight, How hard is it to turn a simple apple into a grape?” asked Spike as he stared at the eponymous fruit sitting on a small table nearby.

The day had been filled with small experiments Twilight had devised after reading about an old spell that few ponies could cast properly. It didn’t help that Twilight’s copy of the monthly New Magic magazine came that day.

“It’s very hard, Spike. You’re changing it to something else entirely.”

Spike simply nodded and watched Twilight as she concentrated her magic on the apple. Slowly, a magenta glow enveloped her horn before shooting straight at the apple. At first, it didn’t react, but after a few seconds the apple began to glow in a dull magenta.

“I think it’s gonna work!” exclaimed Twilight as the magic enveloping the apple slowly turned its skin darker. Suddenly, the apple grew a bit in size before exploding in a blast of apple flesh and skin.

Spike smiled. Using his elongated tongue, Spike lapped up the bits of apple covering his face. “Not really what I had in mind but it sure is a quick way to make apple sauce!”

Twilight frowned as she levitated a towel to her face and cleaned herself off. “Stupid spell! Why is this spell so hard?”

With a shrug Spike quickly picked up the New Magic monthly sitting nearby and began looking over the article where the spell was mentioned. “What are these?”

“Those are runes, Spike. You know, to cast spells?” said Twilight.

“Ok... They look weird.”

“That’s because some of them are really old. It’s really hard to use them properly.”

Spike quickly flipped the page over before noticing an article. A picture of a filly using some magic to teleport was shown at the bottom under the article itself. “What’s this?” asked Spike.

“Let me see.” The mare quickly yanked the magazine out of Spike’s claws with her magic before reading the article herself. “Some unicorns can exhibit proficiency in a spell they have never been taught. This is rare and some theorize that their magic is naturally attuned to the spell in a way that it can perfectly cast it without being properly immersed in the spell.”

“Uh, in Equestrian please,” said Spike.

“Well, the article basically states a pony could be able to cast powerful spells without prior knowledge in the field of advanced magic.”

“Maybe Rarity or Sweetie Belle could help!” Spike replied.

“Sweetie Belle doesn’t know any magic and nothing against her but I don’t think Rarity could pull off a spell this advanced. She’s never practiced magic like I have.”

“Twilight. There is no pony in all of Equestria who has practiced magic like you have.”

“Whatever. Can you go into town and get a few extra apples?” asked Twilight.

Spike nodded and was quickly given a few bits before leaving. After Spike left, Twilight began looking through some spellbooks while she kept the magazine nearby. Why isn’t this working? My talent IS magic for Celestia’s sake! It should be easy! Twilight thought to herself.

Twilight quickly retrieved an orange from her fridge and began her experiment once again. The mare closed her eyes and concentrated as she picture the runes and the spell itself in her mind. Soon, her horn was alit with the same magenta glow as she collected more energy.

“Twilight, there you are! I was just...”

In the sudden surprise Twilight released the pent up energy in her horn as it shot straight into the orange. The results were again explosive with a blob of orange chunks floating in front of the guest’s face in a dull blue aura.

“Darling, next time please warn me about any of your experiments going...critical.”

Twilight smiled as she quickly cleaned away the orange flesh off her face. “Sorry about that Rarity. Just trying this new spell.”

“What spell are you talking about, darling?”

“Well, New Magic published an old spell called Matter Morphesis. The spell allows anypony to turn any kind of object into another,” said Twilight as she levitated the magazine to Rarity.

“Really? How hard is the spell?”

“Well... It uses old runes, some of which have unknown origins. I’ve been having issues trying to turn an apple into and orange.”

“But that was an orange, darling.”

“I ran out of apples so I sent Spike out to get some more.”

Rarity simply nodded and she took the magazine into her magical grasp. She quickly skimmed a few pages before arriving at the article with the teleporting filly. With a quick and detailed eye, Rarity skimmed the article. “Twilight. Could you quickly explain to me how magic attunes to spells?”

“Well Rarity. Unicorn magic is harmonious to different degrees. It’s an orderly form of energy that all ponies have. Sometimes ponies are born with a very open form of harmony in their magic like me, hence my outburst of magic that hatched Spike. Other times its more closed and specific to spells. I think yours is like that.”

“Uh huh... So you’re saying that I could, in theory, be able to perform advanced spells?”

Twilight smiled and nodded. “Yes! That actually makes me think. Could you try the Matter Morphesis spell?” asked Twilight.

Rarity nodded, “Sure but we wear raincoats. I am NOT getting fruit stuff in my mane!”

“Oh don’t worry. That was the last orange. Let’s try... Water! I’ll be right back with a beaker of water!”

Rarity waited there as Twilight went downstairs before returning with two raincoats and a few corked beakers of water. It didn’t take long for Rarity and Twilight to put on the raincoats. Twilight placed the beakers on the table.

“Ok. Now then. Just think of the runes and try to turn the water into... whatever liquid you can think of.”

Rarity nodded and closed her eyes to concentrate. Slowly the white mare’s horn began to glow with her signature blue as energy began to swell at the tip. After a few moments it was a large ball of blue light. With a large grin on her face Twilight watched as Rarity released the energy in horn and threw it at the flask. In seconds the the flask’s contents turned from transparent to opaque as it turned into cider.

“Rarity.. I can’t believe it! You did it!” exclaimed Twilight in excitement.

With a smile Rarity quickly took of the now useless raincoat with her magic. “Wow... That’s surprising. Now maybe I don’t have to worry about having the wrong fabric.”

“Try again! Let’s see if you can do it over.”

“But Twilight. Isn’t one time good enough?”

“Repetition. You must make sure the experiment is replicable. That’s how you confirm your findings!” said Twilight.

Rarity nodded and closed her eyes again before visualizing the runes. Energy began to pour into her horn as the runes in her mind took effect. In her mind, a new rune popped in her mind. Wait... What is this... feeling? Rarity thought. Something was different and it made her feeling unsettling as more energy filled the spell. The new rune was almost like a clock face but cut in half. One side dark grey and the other light silver.

“Twilight... I can’t... hold this much longer!” exclaimed Rarity as the light of the spell became increasingly stronger.

Twilight’s smile was gone with the new light. She could feel some strange energy that wasn’t Rarity’s forming within the spell. With a quick failsafe spell ready, Twilight channeled her magic in her own horn as sweat began to roll down Rarity’s face.

“Rarity! Try to break the spell! You can’t let the energy be released!” exclaimed Twilight.

The air of the library became filled with static energy as Rarity tried her best to slowly bleed the energy out of the Matter Morphesis spell. It didn’t work as the spell refused to simply die. Either she had to release the energy or allow it to break her horn. She wasn’t going for the later.

“Watch out, Twilight!” Rarity exclaimed as she released the spell.

The old tree’s windows became blinded with a blue light as the spell encased the current occupants.

---

“Ugh... my head,” muttered Rarity. She felt herself regaining consciousness and the feeling of heavy weights held her down. The mare slowly opened her eyes to see only black with a few holes showing the library.

“Twilight? Are you ok?” exclaimed Spike’s voice.

Rarity slowly moved her forelegs forward before noticing an unusual sensation. “Spike, is that you?”

“Rarity? I hope you’re not hurt!” exclaimed Spike. Rarity quickly heard the sound of books hitting the wooden shelves and realized Spike was digging for her. “I’m here Spike.”

The baby dragon pulled books away frantically before noticing the familiar stylized purple mane. It didn’t take long for Spike to pull the majority of books of off Rarity’s back to reveal something strange. Instead of Rarity’s pristine white coat, there was a white jacket of some sturdy material in its place.

Rarity quickly pushed herself up to see Spike staring at her with a expression of fear on his face.

“Who... who are you? Where is Rarity?” Spike exclaimed.

Rarity frowned, “It’s me, Spikey-wikey! What’s wrong?”

“Look at yourself! What happened?”

Rarity looked down at her forehooves to see that instead of the pristine white coat, the sleeves of a white jacket replaced them. Weird claw like paws stuck out from the sleeves revealing pale white skin. The next thing Rarity noticed was her center of gravity. It was farther back down at her abdomen.

“Try and, stand up. You know, like me,” said Spike.

Rarity slowly followed Spike’s directions and was surprised how weird it felt. She was able to keep balance on her hind legs and it felt unusually natural for her body.

Spike simply stared at the bipedal being calming to be Rarity. Its stylized mane was the same, only modified to fit the new head structure as two sapphire blue eyes stared at him. Rarity wore a blue, leather, jacket with her cutie mark embroidered on one of the shoulders. Underneath was a black blouse and a pair of deep purple pants adorned her legs. Two black heeled shoes also adorned her feet.

“Where’s Twilight?”

“I’m right here, Spike,” said a muffled voice.

The two turned to a second mound of books as a bipedal figure slowly pulled itself up. This one had a more yellowish and vibrant complexion and wore a purple blouse over a pink camisole. Dark purple bell bottom pants with light violet accents adorned the creature’s legs. In all the color scheme reminded Spike and Rarity of Twilight and the creature’s mane was shaped just the same.

“Is, that you Twilight, darling?” asked Rarity.

“What... what happened to us?” exclaimed the librarian in fear.

“I don’t know. This strange feeling occured and I saw something and then the flash. What are we?”

“Calm down!’ yelled Spike. ‘We just need to redo whatever spell and you two will be normal.”

Rarity nodded. “I guess you’re right... Wait. We don’t have horns! How are either of us supposed to perform magic?”

Twilight looked at herself and frowned. With no horn, there was nothing to channel her magic and right now, she couldn’t feel it at all. “Rarity. Do you feel anything?”

“No. I don’t feel... I can’t even feel my own magic. Why is this happening to us?” exclaimed Rarity.

“Spike! Get me the books on all sapient animals!” Twilight ordered.

Spike saluted Twilight and quickly began searching through the piles of books before making an orderly pile of the books Twilight needed on a desk nearby.

“Ok. Rarity, help me look through them. Find any creature that matches our appearance.”

Rarity nodded and began moving her feet. She stumbled for a moment before finding a proper stride and quickly went over to the desk before beginning their search. Twilight followed suite and joined in as well.

“Alpacas. Bison. Deer. Griffon. Minotaur... I can’t anything even close to us!”

“I can’t find anything either, darling. What creature wears clothes such as this?”

“I don’t know, Rarity...”

After a good few hours of searching through numerous books and even transitioning to books on mammals in general. The two had found nothing.

“So, Twilight. What are we anyways?”

Twilight sighed. “I don’t know. The closest animal to fit us are chimpanzees but they’re not sentient and they’re way more hairy and not bipedal.”

“Chimpanzees? Surely we’re not related to such disgusting animals.”

“Rarity. I don’t know. From what it looks like, apes in general are the closest things but none exhibit bipedal locomotion. Some can go bipedal for periods at a time but not permanently. Our spines suggest whatever we are, we’re fully bipedal.

“Maybe you should ask Princess Celestia,” replied Spike.

The name made Twilight jump. “No! I am NOT going in front of her as this! What if we’re some forbidden monsters? She might send us to the moon or even worse, the sun!”

“I can’t go around town as this! What if word gets out? I have orders to fill which means clients!” yelled Rarity.

“Calm down! Is there anypony or anyone else you two can talk to?” asked Spike.

“Hmm... I haven’t seen Lyra exhibit any form of magic so I doubt she could recreate the spell. Rarity is one of the few who can do it without extensive knowledge in magic,” said Twilight.

“And what is THAT supposed to mean?” replied Rarity.

“I didn’t mean like that it like that. I just mean... you know. Not like me. I’m pretty much the only unicorn in all of Ponyville who has advanced magic at my hooves...er... paws?”

“What about... Luna! She could easily do this spell! Twilight, what if you talked with Luna?” asked Spike.

“Well, she has no authority in banishing me. As long as she can keep our identities a secret, that could work.”

Rarity frowned. “This stinks. I don’t want to meet any royalty looking horrible.”

Spike smiled. “You still look pretty to me, Rarity!”

“Thank you, Spikey-wikey. But that’s only one opinion. I doubt others would think the same way.”

“Ok. I know Princess Celestia’s schedule. Spike, are you able to deliver us to Canterlot via dragonfire?” asked Twilight.

With a nodded Spike made a small green flame for a second. “As long as it’s not extremely long distances. I can deliver both of you but it will be to Celestia, so you’ll have to sneak to Luna’s chambers.”

“Good. We’ll go when everypony is asleep. Luna tends to sleep way later, usually at the break of dawn.”

Rarity nodded at the plan. It would be dangerous but it should work.

---

With a frown Rarity looked through some romance novels Twilight had. It had been only a few hours and the inability to head back to her shop thanks to the evening rush was excruciating. The yearning to make beautiful dresses was a caged dog ready to pounce within Rarity. She needed to draw her inspirations on paper thanks to her new form. The sound of knocks at the front door quickly calmed the feeling as fear replaced it. “Spike! Get the door!”

Spike frowned. “THat wasn’t nice.”

“Just answer it after Twilight and I hide.”

The fashion mare quickly followed Twilight into a hiding spot as Spike opened the door. Standing in the doorway as the timid Fluttershy with a part of her face hidden by her long voluminous pink mane.

“Oh, Hi Fluttershy!” said Spike.

“Oh! Hello Spike. Is Twilight around?”

Spike shook his head, “No. Twilight’s... on royal Canterlot business. Important. She won’t be available for a while.”

“Sorry then, Spike. I’ll come back maybe tommorr...”

The sound of something crashing into books quickly caught Fluttershy’s attention as she saw a weird clothed creature laying on the floor grabbing its head in pain.

“Ugh... my head,” said Twilight as she slowly got back up, not noticing Fluttershy staring intently at her as she did.

“Oh. My...”

“Twilight! You blew it, darling!” exclaimed Rarity as she went out from her hiding spot.

Twilight frowned. “I’m sorry. I saw a stray book and I couldn’t leave it there...”

“And then you tripped over another book. Congratulations to you,” Rarity deadpanned.

“Rarity? Is that... you?” asked Fluttershy.

With a nod and a sigh, Rarity allowed Fluttershy inside as she examined the two mares’ new bodies. “I’m sorry for asking but... why are you an ape?”

With her arm raised up she became dejected. “I, of all ponies, did this. I was trying this spell and I accidently turned Twilight and I into.. these apes you speak of.”

“You know, you look very pretty for an ape.”

A small smile crept onto Rarity’s cream white face. “Thank you, Fluttershy.”

“Don’t tell anypony... No. Don’t tell anyone. We can’t have the whole town go into an uproar and I don’t think anyone would believe us, They might think we’re some sealed evil.”

“I won’t Twilight. Excuse me for asking but... how are you and Rarity going to turn back to normal?”

“Well. We’re going to see Luna tonight. She may be able to help us. I hope...”

“It must be easy to do things with hands.”

“Hands?”

“Yes. The paws of apes are called hands. Minotaurs also have them but they’re not related at all.”

“So these... hands. Do you have any idea what Rarity and I are?” asked Twilight.

A frown appeared on Twilight’s face when Fluttershy shook her head. “Sorry Twilight but I’ve never seen a hairless ape like you before. Maybe you’re some new species?”

“A new... species? i need to write this down! Spike! Get me a quill and a paper!” exclaimed Twilight.

The dragon quickly went off to retrieve the items Twilight requested. Before long, Twilight had a notepad and quill ready.

“Um, Twilight... How are you going to write without magic?”

The question made Twilight blink for a moment. “I don’t... know... Damn it,” said Twilight as she threw the two items away.


“Um, since you can’t help me right now. I’ll just go and don’t worry. I won’t tell anypony.”

“Anyone.”

“Anyone. Sorry.”

“Ok, Fluttershy and thank you. At least we know that you aren’t against us.”

---

The sun settled in the distance as Rarity sat in one of the couches. The earlier guest had left, leaving the two to drift back into boredom. Twilight had begun simple experiments to learn more about her new body while Rarity sat in a couch completely bored out of her skull. The library silent until the familiar sound of rumbling was heard.

“Are you hungry, Rarity?” asked Twilight.

Rarity nodded. “Spike, could please get me and Twilight daisy sandwiches? Maybe a side of hay juice as well.”

Spike smiled and went off into the kitchen before returning with the food. The baby dragon gave the two their food before watching Twilight take a sip of hay juice. The result was a sour looking face as Twilight spat up the offending drink.

“Ugh! Why does it taste so horrible?” Twilight exclaimed.

“This daisy sandwich tastes just awful! Spike, did you mess up the recipe?”

“I didn’t do anything different. It’s the same way I’ve always made sandwiches and how do you mess up a daisy sandwich?”

“Just get us some fruit and vegetables. Maybe they’re palatable,” said Twilight.

Spike quickly took away the inedible food and returned with a simple batch of apples he had bought earlier. The two were able to eat them without a problem. “If you’re not going to eat the sandwiches, can I have them?”

Rarity turned to Twilight before returning to Spike. “Best if you do. never waste food, as I always say.”

With a smile Spike quickly went off and devoured the food from earlier.

“Ok, it should be time now. Spike, we need you!” yelled Twilight.

The purple dragon quickly returned with a half eaten gem in hand. With a grin he happily finished the gem before turning to Rarity.

“Will this hurt?” asked Rarity.

“Nope. At least I don’t think so.”

“Don’t think so? I don’t want a burnt mane!”

Twilight sighed. “Calm down Rarity. We’ll be fine. Now then. Spike, get ready.”

With a smile the dragon quickly inhaled a large gulp of air as the gem did its trick and created a green inferno in his stomach. The resulting green fire enveloped Twilight and Rarity as each molecule was turned into a magical wisp.

---

The two quickly returned to physical form in mid air suddenly. Around them, the dark royal chambers belonging to Celestia herself was around them. It didn’t take long for gravity to do its job and the two landed unceremoniously on the ground just next to Princess Celestia’s bed.

“Ow...”

Twilight looked at the sleeping mass of pure white hair nearby as it snored loudly.

“Who knew Celestia could snore that loudly?” asked Rarity as she slowly brought herself back onto her feet.

“Be quiet! Just follow me and make sure nopony sees us.”

With a nod Rarity followed Twilight into the large and extravagant hallway.She was surprised at how beautiful the interior looked with only moonlight flooding the place. It was a strange change from the normally bright gold of sunlight.

Twilight quickly pulled Rarity low to the ground as she heard the familiar sound of hoofsteps nearby. The guard quickly looked around before continuing his patrol, unaware of the bipedal intruders.

The two continued until arriving at deep blue doors that broke the normal white and yellow hallway. The door was adorned with a stylized silver version of Luna’s cuite mark. With an audible gulp, Twilight slowly pushed open the door before allowing Rarity to go inside. She quickly followed and closed the door behind them.

“Who goes there?” ordered Luna as she heard the door close nearby.

The lunar princess sat on her haunches as she looked at the books spread in front of her. She had been retrained to speak without the retired royal we and she had learned to speak with a normal volume voice.

“Princess Luna! Thank Celestia you’re awake,” said a familiar voice.

Luna sighed. “I am always awake for my night. Now Twilight, why are you here and can I please see you?”

“Um... That’s the problem. Rarity and I need to talk to you about our appearance.

“Show me.”

Twilight and Rarity slowly walked into the small bit of sunlight in the room. Standing there were two fully clothed bipeds looking at Luna wondering what she going to say. Call for the guards? Kill them on the spot?

“I see... I won’t ask how you turned yourselves into humans but let me try to fix you two back to normal,” said Luna.

“Hu...humans? Is that what we are?” asked Rarity.

Luna nodded. “Humans or Homo Sapiens. I thought I’d never seen one of them since the sealing...”

“Humans? Sealing? There were more of them? Why were they sealed?” Twilight quickly threw more questions at Luna before stopping as the princess raised her hoof.

“Let me begin with saying that Celestia and I are not the only goddesses alive. Humans had their own guardian... of time. Her name was Aetas and she ruled over humanity since the beginning of their history.”

“So what happened?” asked Rarity.

“I was getting there. Aetas ruled with a kind heart thousands of years ago. Until a dark plague appeared, killing thousands and orphaning many children. Eventually, the few magically inclined humans and Aetas herself knew that the plague would eventually attack ponies if left unattended and they sealed themselves to where they first began. To the island of Sapios.”

“Sapios... I’ve never heard of that place. Why?” Twilight asked.

Luna sighed. “Before humanity left, Aetas made us promise we would hide any trace of their existence and their secrets. All traces of the island have been removed from all maps and the barrier deters anypony from getting close enough to see it.”

“What secrets?”

“Humans gave us what we, ponykind, needed to begin evolving technologically but they kept a few things to themselves. Humans... are not harmonious like us. Before Aetas was in power, humans waged war over land, over money. Some even fought just for power itself. One of these secrets was their blacksmithing. They could create a metal so strong and sharp that it rivaled our enchanted weapons with ease. Aetas had to deal with numerous close calls that would have erupted into war.”

“That’s... horrible. Why would they go to war for such petty things?”

“I cannot answer that for I do not have the mind of a mortal let alone a human. It is simply part of their nature, though most humans can are usually are friendly. Now then. Let me cast the spell to return you to pony form.”

The two nodded and closed their eyes as Luna began charging the spell. An ice blue aura wrapped around Luna’s horn until she released the spell. The resulting magical bolt cascaded around the two before simply dissipating. The two opened their eyes and frowned when they looked down. Nothing changed.

“Why didn’t it work?” exclaimed Twilight.

Luna frowned. “It seems whatever transformered you has made it nearly impossible to change you back.”

Rarity looked at Luna in horror. “Luna! We can’t stay like this! Please! There must be a way!”

“Calm down! I said it was nearly impossible. I recognize the magic that binds your forms. It is not of harmony but of balance. One of order AND chaos clashing against each other. A human changed both of you.”

“A human? But I was the one who casted the Matter Morphing spell. How in Equestria could it have been a human? They’re sealed away. You said so yourself!” exclaimed Rarity.

“Either Aetas herself or a strong human did this but the magical bindings are weak... almost as if the caster’s magic was seeping away... I think I know who can fix both of you but it will be dangerous. We will have to travel to Sapios ourselves and talk to Aetas. She is stronger then both Celestia and I and can easily break the bonds and return you to pony form.”

Twist gasped. “But... But you said Sapios was sealed. How are you supposed to break it down if Aetas was stronger than you AND Celestia?”

Luna smiled, “I cannot break the barrier but I can punch a hole long enough to travel through. It will be hard but not impossible. I’ll meet both of you tomorrow at Twilight’s library. Please use the day to pack what you need and food. I can teleport both of you towards Ponyville.”

“Who’s there?” said a distant voice.

“Best to make haste.”

“But Princess Luna. We still have to ask more questions,” said Rarity.

“Can’t. No time.” exclaimed Luna as her horn began to glow again. In a quick flash the two disappeared from Luna’s chambers right as the doors opened.

“Is there something wrong, your Highness?” asked the lone guard.

Luna kept a straight face as she stared at the guard. “No. Please return your patrol.”

“I thought I heard somepony talking with you.”

“It was your own mind. Now leave.”

“Yes, your Highness. I am sorry for disturbing you,” said the guard as he trotted backwards out of the room.