• Published 10th Oct 2012
  • 414 Views, 9 Comments

Punched, Pinched - Infinite Badness



A routine morning for Berry Punch takes a suddent turn involving a string of missing ponies.

  • ...
 9
 414

Punched

The morning sun is cruel.

Celestia's light was not easy on the eyes and never has been as far back as I can remember. I quickly covered my face with my pillow just to keep any hint that it was morning already.

As far back as I can remember…
There aren't too many times I think about something like that. Most of my time is spent trying to forget. Forget to forget to what I want to forget so I don't remember.

As far back as I can remember...

Can I?

I heard my door open and something crawled into bed with me. I looked under the covers and saw a little pink unicorn.

“Mom, can you walk me to school today?”

She stared at me with those big emeralds she calls eyes. Even though mine were bloodshot, they were hard to resist.

“Okay, Baby. Just give mom a moment.”

I pulled the pillow off my face and slowly got up out of bed. Pinchy got out of the covers.

“I’m not a baby anymore.”

“Well, you’re my baby, Honey.”

I can’t count how many times I’ve been called baby and responded in a worse way than just whining. I used to not mind that.

After breakfast, we walked toward the schoolhouse, passing by all the familiar faces. It’s easy to be familiar with everypony in a small town like this, but it’s even easier when everypony’s got the same face each time you pass by them. I’m not that hung over, mind you. The faces aren’t blurred; they all just have the same expression. Pity. Disdain. All judging you each time you pass by. All for the life you lead and the life you’ve led. Pinchy never minded though. She was just happy to be walking to school with her mom. Simple pleasures.

Near Sugarcube Corner, Scootaloo passed us by. Pinchy called out to her as she zipped past us on her scooter.

“Hey Scootaloo!”

It didn’t register. She just kept on going.

“Maybe she didn’t hear you, Honey.”

Pinchy looked down.

“You haven’t hung out together in a long time have you, Baby?”

She looked up at me.

“I told you not to call me that, mom.”

She frowned at me. That frown could topple Canterlot if it ever got into the wrong hands.

“Okay. Come on, we’re almost there.”

We stopped about a block away from the Schoolhouse. Cheerilee was at the front door greeting all her students with the warm smile of hers. I turned to Pinchy.

“Okay, Honey, this as far as I go.”

“Okay, mom.” She planted a big kiss on my cheek.

“I’ll see you at home later.”

She ran up the little hill along with the other colts and fillies. I haven’t walked up that path in ages. It’s not because Pinchy doesn’t want to be seen with me, it’s just I don’t want to deal with that teacher of hers. She’s a good pony, but I can’t stand the preachy type. After I saw Pinchy disappear into the doorway, I made my way back home.

Along the way, I saw a bit of a hubbub near the newsstand. Everypony had a newspaper in their hooves and seemed to be worked up about something. I could already guess what. I picked up one of the newspapers that had been thrown on the ground. It’s hard to believe that some ponies can just throw things away like that. I read the headline.

Seventh Victim in Mystery Disappearances
Police continue to be baffled.

Another missing pony.

This had been going on for six weeks now. Each week one pony would disappear and the only clue the police hadn’t a clue to go on. Now we were on the seventh and still nothing to hint at who or what might be causing this. The part of me that still feels, that isn’t hazy, often wondered what would happen if I were next. It’s the only fear that I’ve still got in me. I guess the only upside is that the missing ponies weren’t our kids. I don’t think I could handle it if Pinchy suddenly disappeared. Still, if I were to vanish next who would look after my baby? I looked up at all the other ponies as they read and talked amongst themselves. Then the low down dirty part of me crept up. Maybe it would be best if I were next, maybe then Pinchy would have someone better to come home to.

No.
I can’t start thinking like that again. Pinchy loves you and she’d never accept anyone else in her life. No substitutes.

I took the newspaper with me and continued walking home.

The sun had moved away from my window now. Little sunbeams peeked through the shutters and my room was almost dark again. It was silent save for the ticking of the clock on the wall. Each tick reminded me of how I was just wasting my time staying in my room, how I could be doing better things with my life right now. I looked at the bottle on my nightstand. I wanted to make an effort to reach for it, but couldn’t or didn’t want to. Instead, I got up and went toward the window. I peeked outside and saw how productive everypony else was. “I could be like that, too,” I thought, but who would buy anything from a notorious drunk? I heard the sound of my front door creak open. I looked at the clock again and saw that it was still too early for Pinchy to be home. I went downstairs to see who it was.

The door was open, but there wasn’t anypony there. I looked around for a bit and then made my way toward the kitchen. If it was Pinchy, then she might be in the kitchen fixing up something to eat. As I crossed the threshold I felt a sharp pain on the back of my neck. Everything went black.