• Published 25th May 2024
  • 230 Views, 0 Comments

Echo of Loss - UnitedSanctuary



On one cold night, Sweetie Belle’s world is shattered by the sudden and heartbreaking loss of Rarity. Finding it impossible to navigate a world without her sister, she becomes a shadow of her former self.

  • ...
 0
 230

Chapter 1: Chilling catastrophe

The final bell of the school year tolls, its sound echoing through the halls of the Ponyville Schoolhouse like a triumphant fanfare for the children. Students began bursting through the doors, their laughter and cheers combining with the whisper of falling snow.

"Stay safe on your way home," called Cheerilee with a warm smile as she waved goodbye to her students.

Amongst the cluster of fillies and colts, three girls stood out with their excitement practically bubbling over. Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom.

"Winter break is finally here!" exclaimed Apple Bloom with her pink bow bobbing as she bounced up an down her hooves.

"We should have a snowball fight," Scootaloo Grinned. "I bet I can dodge anything you throw at me!"

Sweetie Belle giggled, linking arms with her friends as they made their way down the street. "But first, let’s get to my house. Rarity’s waiting with hot cocoa, and we can plan all our winter adventures there."

The three friends trotted down the snow-covered path, admiring the festive decorations that adorned the town. Strings of lights twinkled from rooftops, and wreaths hung on almost every door. Even the sound of carols could be heard drifting from open windows.

"Do ya think we'll get any Hearth's Warming presents early?" Apple Bloom asked, her eyes sparkling at the thought.

They turned the corner, and Sweetie Belle’s house came into view. A cozy sight with warm light spilling out of the windows. The three fillies rushed inside and stomped their hooves on the mat to shake off the snow.

"I'm home!" Sweetie Belle called out.

Rarity lean out from the kitchen, too preoccupied with something in the oven at the moment to leave her post. "Welcome, darlings, I have a special treat for you all. Come in, come in!"

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom followed Sweetie to the kitchen, where multiple trays of steaming mugs awaited, each topped with a generous helpings of whipped cream. The fillies’ eyes widened in delight as they grabbed their mugs and took their first sips.

"—Mmm!" Scootaloo hummed, her wings buzzing in pure bliss.

Rarity replied with a smile. "Now, how about some cookies to go with it?"

Apple Bloom’s eyes lit up. "Yes, please!"

Scootaloo dived for the tray first and secured much as she could for herself, and Apple Bloom tached. Sweetie Bell was less ambitious, only taking a select few that she thought looked best. Rarity forced a smile while the girls devoured the treats reckless abandon. Crumbs were flying everywhere, landing on the pristine carpet and elegant furniture. She took a deep breath, trying to keep her cool.

“You’re... welcome, darlings,” she said, her voice strained but kind. “Just... try not to make too much of a mess, alright?”

The girls nodded, but their enthusiasm didn’t wane. Chocolate and crumbs were sent flying and stuck to the surrounding area.

Rarity’s eye twitched as she forced a wider smile. “Oh dear,” she whispered to herself “I-it’s just cookies. It’s just a small mess. I can clean it up later. Moments like these are worth every crumb— NOT THE CASHMERE!!


The snow outside had thickened and Ponyville soon found itself covered by a heavy blanket of frost. Rarity peeked out the window wither her brows knitting together in concern.

"Goodness, it’s really coming down out there... I'm not so sure it’s safe for you girls to go home with the weather like that," she said.

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom exchanged glances.

"Does that mean we can stay the night?" Scootaloo asked.

"Yes, darling, it's probably best you do," Rarity replied. "I'll phone your families and let them know you won't be coming home. Sweetie, be a dear and show them where the guest room is and get some extra blankets."

Sweetie Belle gave a happy squeak and lead her friends up the stairs.

In the bathroom upstairs, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom found themselves confronted with an array of colorful soaps and the like. They would bed they were Rarity's if they were betting ponies. Amidst the assortment of items, a single shimmering toothbrush stood out in a shiny holder on the counter.

"I call this one," Scootaloo exclaimed, grabbing it.

"Ah saw it first!" Apple Bloom protested, reaching for it as well.

"Nu-uh— I did!" Scootaloo insisted whilst holding it high above her head.

"Girls, that's my toothbrush," Sweetie Belle intervened. "You can't use it. There's some in the drawer."

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom blushed, muttering apologies as Sweetie Belle opened the drawer to reveal an organized collection of (relatively average) looking toothbrushes. She handed one to each of her friends.

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom turned their attention to the mirror, not trying to claim the same spot in front of it.

"Move over—!" Apple Bloom grumbled, nudging her friend with her shoulder.

"You move over—!" Scootaloo retorted, giving a shove of her own.

The two fillies continued to jostle for space, their laughter turning into playful grunts as they tried to squeeze each other out.

"Girls, there's plenty of room for both of you," Sweetie Belle sighed, rolling her eyes. She squeezed herself between them, letting them take the sides. "There, happy now?"

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom exchanged sheepish grins. They all began brushing their teeth. Every now and then, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom would nudge Sweetie, but it was more out of habit than any real annoyance at this point. After they were done, they rinsed their faces and wiped them with the soft towels Sweetie Belle had laid out.

"See? We managed to get through that without anypony losing an eye."

"Just barely," Scootaloo said with a chuckle, swatting Apple Bloom playfully.

The trio entered Sweetie Belle's room, where the warmth of the blankets awaited them. They each climbed into their makeshift beds. The excitement of the day had finally, finally giving way to drowsiness.

"Goodnight, everypony," Sweetie Belle yawned, snuggling into her pillow. But Scootaloo and Apple Bloom already dozed off.

Sweetie Belle was just about to join them when she heard the unmistakable sound of the front door opening downstairs. Her ears perked up, and she lifted her head to listen again. A faint clicking noise reverberated through the air.

"Scootaloo..." Scootaloo didn't respond, so she gave her a nudge. "Scootaloo? You up—?"

"Mmh...?" Scootaloo groaned and rolled over, cracking one eye open.

"I heard something downstairs," Sweetie Belle said in a trembling manner. "Can you go check what it is?"

Scootaloo rubbed her eyes and sat up, her wings stretching lazily as she does. "Sweetie... Go to sleep..."

Sweetie Belle frowned.

Seeing the genuine worry now in Sweetie's eyes, the pegasus through her hooves up. "...Okay, okay. Stay here. —But you owe me one."

The filly slipped out from under the covers, careful not to wake their third friend in the room, and tiptoed towards the bedroom door. Sweetie Belle watched with bated breath as her Scootaloo disappeared into the hallway, wondering if she should go, too. But that idea was quickly dashed when she heard the eerie creaking sound of the floorboards below.

Down the hallway and past Rarity's room, Scootaloo reached the top of the stairwell. Her ears pricked for any unusual sounds. The house was quiet... save for the occasional gust of wind that battered the oval windows. She squinted in the dark, trying to make out any shapes or movements on the first floor.

Just as she took a one cautious step forward for a closer look...

BANG! BANG!


Scootaloo's ears stopped working and whole body went cold. After a few seconds, sound returned to the world and she recognized Sweetie Belle's terrified cry from the bedroom, and another scream, filled with agonizing pain, was unmistakably Rarity's.

"Rarity?!" A voice called growing louder with matching footsteps.

Before Scootaloo could even make a move herself, Sweetie Belle bolted past with Apple Bloom in tow. "Rarity!" Sweetie cried again, her voice on the verge of breaking as she flew down the stairs.

Both Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom froze in horror as they took in the scene before them. There Rarity laid on the floor, her pristine white coat marred by a dark, spreading stain of red. Two masked shapes were sprinting out into the snowy night, with what Scootaloo saw as wads of high-priced fabrics. Sweetie Belle was unable to process what exactly was happening and dropped down beside her sister. Her hooves were quivering as she tried to staunch the bleeding as best she could.

Scootaloo still stood at the top of the stairs frozen in pure shock. The sight of Rarity lying there, hurt and vulnerable, snapped her back to reality. She had to do something. She didn't know what exactly what, but something. She made a mad dash out the door .

"Stop!" she shouted at the intruders that were barely visible to her.

Scootaloo's heart pounded in her chest. Each beat echoing the urgency of the chase. She had to catch them. She had to make them pay. Scootaloo growled, her voice low and dangerous now.

Ahead, the figured turned a corner, disappearing from sight. Scootaloo skidded around bend, but struggled for traction on the slippery surface. She hit a wall head on and her head was thrown back from the impact.

Everything went dark.

Author's Note:

After 8 years I finally got around to writing my very first fic. I don't have the slightest clue how or why the urge to start writing suddenly sprung up on me like this, but here we... Please enjoy!
Constructive criticism is also VERY much appreciated! :twilightsmile:

~UnitedSanctuary