• Published 30th Dec 2011
  • 1,227 Views, 11 Comments

Ponyville Row - RobynneHood



The humanised mane six are making their mark in the dark city of Ponyville Row.

  • ...
3
 11
 1,227

Adding a Dash of Coolness

Twilight looked out of the window of the small plane, watching the city of Ponyville Row reveal itself beneath them. Spike was on the other side of the plane, head banging to something loud.

“We'll be landing shortly Miss Sparkle. Please make sure your seat belt is fastened.” The young agent reached over to her protégée, tapping his shoulder and pointing to his seat belt. She fastened her own, and readied herself for the discomforting feeling of landing. Twilight hated flying.

Several minutes passed before the plane started to descend, the two gangsters' ears popping and Twilight resisting the urge to throw up. A short while after, they had touched down in a small airport in the south end of Ponyville Row. Twilight stood as soon as the plane was still, grabbed her luggage and practically ran to the door, gasping for fresh air. Spike followed her, chuckling. His mentor glared at him, looking slightly less pale.

The duo were greeted by a rather short figure, donned in a bomber jacket. They had large flight goggles covering their eyes, stopping Twilight from working out whether they were male or female. She had a hunch, however as her eyes were drawn to the bright shock of rainbow dyed hair upon their head. The technicolour figure held out a hand to her, helping the queasy Twilight to the ground. Spike jumped after her, still laughing quietly at his mentor.

“Ugh...thanks kid. I think I need to sit down...” Twilight staggered towards the nearby plane shelter, Spike and the figure following.

“No problem Miss, I've been expectin' ya!” The voice was feminine with a raspy edge, like one who had spent years yelling over the roar of planes. As the goggles were lifted, the figure was revealed to be a woman, not much younger than Twilight. She jogged to be in front of Twilight, turning to face her and holding out a hand. “I'm Rainbow Dash.” Twilight stopped to shake her hand.

“Twilight Sparkle. Nice to meet you. I'm guessing you're the pilot I'm supposed to be meeting?” Rainbow grinned and nodded. “Great. Now, seriously, let me sit down before I'm sick. I hate flying.” As she reached the bunker, she collapsed against the wall with her head between her knees.

“Eh, flying's the best! You just have to have a good pilot, not like the one you had. I saw you landing, he could have done that waaaaaay smoother.” Rainbow dropped to the floor to sit in front of Twilight. Spike had pulled out his phone and was staring intently at the screen.

“Yes, well, it doesn't matter now. So. You're a pilot here?”

“Yep! Best flier in all Equestria! And one day, I'm gonna join Celestia's Wonderbolts. But first I have to prove myself, which is why she wants me to work for you." The pilot looked off dreamily into the sky for a moment. "So, I've heard you're making a new gang.”

“Apparently. I've no idea where to look though. Having a look around the city would be a good start.” Rainbow Dash stood up suddenly, a grin on her face.

“Well, let's go then! My car's out front. Don't worry, it's got a back seat for the kid.” Spike scowled.

“I'm not a kid. And Twilight, I think we should check out Sweet Apple Acres, it says on their website they're the main producer of spirits in the city. That could be a good start for allies and income.” Rainbow Dash laughed.

“You don't want to go there. Not yet. Applejack runs that place with her brother, and they don't just make booze. They sell weapons too, big things like rocket launchers, and some explosives. They don't take kindly to strangers though.” Twilight slowly stood up, steadying herself.

“Well you seem to know them. Maybe they'll talk to us is they know you're with us?” Rainbow looked guiltily at the floor, chewing her bottom lip.

“Heh, yeah. We've kinda had a falling out. She caught me hiding in one of her apple cellars drinking her cider last month. We haven't made up yet. She's stubborn. Anyway, you want to head to your new house first, drop off your stuff. You're staying with me until you can get a crib up and running. So, let's go!” The energetic pilot grabbed Twilight's suitcase, and started off towards the car park, Twilight and Spike close behind.

~~~

Rainbow Dash's car was awe inspiring. The Pegasus 2000 was sleek, pale cyan, and had some of the most striking decals Twilight had ever seen on a car. Up each side was a large wing spread wide, and up the centre of the bonnet, over the roof and down the boot was a beautiful rainbow stripe. Dash laughed at the shocked looks on Spike and Twilight's faces.

“Yeah, I know. Cost me my life's savings, and she was worth every bit. Now hop in!” Rainbow slid into the drivers seat, and after shaking her head Twilight sat beside her, with Spike in the back. The interior was white, with the same rainbow stripe echoed in places, such as the centre of each seat. Celestia's sun hung on the rear view mirror in air freshener form, filling the car with a warm, spicy scent. Soon they were moving through Ponyville Row at what Twilight was sure was faster than the speed limit. “I don't live too far away. It's just a one bedroom apartment, so you'll have to sleep on the floor, but from what I've heard about you, I expect you'll have a crib really soon.” Twilight held tight to the side of the seat and simply nodded. It wasn't long before they arrived at Rainbow's place, the car parked in a garage around the back.

Twilight recoiled when she entered the main room. It was blinding white, with rainbow themed décor, and a lot of mess. There were books, clothes, dishes and rubbish all over the floor. If the pilot thought Twilight was sleeping there, she had another thing coming.

“Oh, uh, sorry about the mess. I live by myself and I'm hardly in the house so...it just sort of gets left.” Rainbow registered the look on Twilight's face. “I, I'll have it clean in ten seconds flat! Don't you worry!” With the look of a scolded school child on her face, Rainbow took the luggage to a different room. Twilight sat upon the surprisingly soft white sofa, pushing the mess on the floor away from her feet. Spike flopped down next to her, not caring what he crushed.

“Rainbow Dash seems pretty cool, huh Twi?”

“Hmm. A bit erratic. I hope she flies better than she drives.” There was a pause as Twilight looked around the room with disgust. “So then. If Sweet Apple Acres is out, where do we go next?” Rainbow came back in with a tray of drinks. Twilight thanked her and sipped at what she was given. The tang revealed that it was most likely and energy drink. Didn't she drink anything else?

“How do you feel about drugs?” Rainbow asked as she sat down.Twilight nearly spat out her drink.

“Ahem. I don't do drugs.” Rainbow laughed.

“I don't mean for you, I mean as a business move. I know a girl that lives nearby, she's one of the biggest drug dealers in the city, and she hasn't given her allegiance to any gangs yet. She's addicted to her own product unfortunately, so she's really paranoid. Scared that the gangs are going to try and wipe her out and take her business. Shit, they probably will sooner or later. Offer her protection, and you could have a good business venture on your hands.” Twilight sat in silence for a few moments, thinking about the proposition.

“I don't like drugs. They do bad things to people. But they are good business if you can keep it safe from the authorities...Let me meet her, and I'll see. I don't do business with just anyone, and if she's like some addicts I've met, I want nothing to do with her.”

“Trust me, she's a bit odd, but she's smart. Always seems to know when she's in danger and she hasn't been caught yet. She's one hell of a baker too.” Twilight put down her cup in an empty space on the table. She had to start somewhere, didn't she?

“What's her name?”

“Pinkie Pie.”