• Published 22nd Apr 2024
  • 237 Views, 5 Comments

The Possession of Dot MacPherson - McPoodle



A couple wishes to adopt an orphan whose "imaginary friend" is the ghost of Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
 5
 237

Chapter 3: There's Something Wrong with That Kangaroo

Over the next few weeks, Rarity and Rainbow Dash visited Twilight’s—and therefore Dot’s—dreams. On the first night, Rarity developed a color palette for Dot—two in fact, one for summer and one for winter. Rainbow Dash used her dream powers to give Dot wings and shrink them both to be a foot tall so they could race a couple of peregrine falcons. Dot rather preferred Rainbow’s idea of a good time to Rarity’s.

Some nights followed that involved all three ponies and Dot. And some nights followed where Dot was politely excluded from the ponies’ discussions.

Dot didn’t mind when she was left out. Most nights Dot had Twilight all to herself, and they had a great time wandering through Twilight’s memories. As for the pony-only nights, Dot figured they were talking about the nasty stuff they must have gone through, stuff like that final fight, although probably not as bad.

The days were involved with the adoption process. It was only a matter of time before everything became official, and Dot MacPherson would become Dorothy Platt. Her room at the villa was prepared, and she helped Bea write the invites for the adoption party.

Dot thought of it more as a going away party.

***

The night before the big event and the big party was not supposed to be a Pony Night. But Twilight called Rainbow and Rarity over anyway. She was standing atop the hill that was Dot’s default dream destination.

“Dot’s been taken,” Twilight told them. Rarity thought it odd that she was excited instead of worried. “I think this is it.”

“You do?” asked Rainbow. “Good. I wondered if it was going to happen at all.”

“What?” asked Rarity. “What’s happening?”

“Something Luna trained us for, Rarity,” said Twilight. “Something long overdue.” She looked around a bit with glowing eyes before pointing across an ocean that was now to the west. She dream-teleported them to a new location.

***

Rarity looked around. The three ponies were at the edge of a forest clearing, of a type that the fashionista had never seen before. Within the clearing, a wide assortment of animals was gathered, including a snowy owl, three Brolga (otherwise known as Native Companions), a kookaburra, a wombat, three koalas and a kangaroo mouse. While the clearing was well-lit, above it was a dark sky, with barely seen storm clouds roiling about. They were the source of the occasional roll of thunder.

“What is this place?” asked Rarity.

“I’m not sure,” said Twilight. “I’ve only seen glimpses of this place at the edges of Dot’s dreams. Perhaps it’s Australia—her family used to live there before they moved to Buffalo.”


Speaking of rolling, Dot suddenly rolled into the group of animals, causing a general uproar.

Birds and mammals!” a voice of command called out. The animals looked fearfully into the darkness from which Dot had been thrust. “The Council of Animals is now in session!

Stepping into the clearing was an angry red kangaroo. The burlap sack she had used to kidnap the child was draped over one arm.

Outside of Australia, kangaroos are usually seen as funny or harmless animals, because of their small hands and odd shape. Those with personal experience know the animals to be among the most formidable herbivores in Australia. They can stand up to five feet tall, travel over 40 miles per hour, are capable of disemboweling someone with the sharp claws on their feet and can break bones with a kick.

“Dorothy Platt!” the kangaroo declared, pointing at Dot with one hand.

Dot rose to her feet. She was significantly shorter than before, her age closer to six than nine.


The ponies gasped in unison.

“I take it that this was how she looked when she was in Australia,” Rarity concluded based on the girl’s changed appearance. “Still no shoes or stockings.”


“Dorothy Platt,” the kangaroo repeated, “I hereby accuse you of the crime of abandoning everything you are! How do you plead?”

“Is this a trial?” asked a drowsy koala.

“Yes! And you’re the jury!” The kangaroo pointed, and the other animals, cowed, quickly organized themselves in two rows at one end of the clearing.


Twilight recognized the kangaroo’s voice as being that of Miss Hathaway. The koala on the other hand was the groundskeeper at the orphanage. These may not have been their original voices, but with how many years had passed since Dot has last dreamed of these characters, she had forgotten what they sounded like.


Dot meanwhile looked downward guiltily.

“Have you nothing to say in your own defense?”

Dot said nothing.

“Well in that case…”

I object!” Twilight called out, flying down from the dark sky. “If there’s a trial, then counsel needs to be present. I volunteer to represent the defendant.” She guided Dot to sit beside her behind a fallen log.

Dot looked over at her, still despairing.

“Are you the prosecutor?” Twilight asked the kangaroo.

The kangaroo seethed—she seemed as angry with Twilight as she was with Dot. “As the most aggrieved, yes,” she answered. She found another log to sit behind.

“Then who is the judge?”


From beside Rarity, Rainbow Dash took that as her cue. She leapt up above the clouds…


…And came back down in the form of Princess Celestia. “I…I will be the judge, if you will have me,” she said. That first flubbed “I” was Rainbow accidentally using her own voice instead of Celestia’s. She summoned up an appropriate robe and a lectern to stand behind.

Dot looked up at “Celestia” and nodded. “She will be fair,” she told the others.

The other animals looked at each other, and then collectively shrugged.

Even the kangaroo accepted the choice after a moment’s hesitation.

“You may proceed, Ms. Prosecutor,” said Rainbow-Celestia.

“Birds and mammals of the jury,” the kangaroo began in a kind voice as she stood behind her log, “the defendant grew up among us, in the bush. She was a friend to all animals, and frequently fought on our behalf.

“But then she left us!” And with this, the kangaroo’s usual ferocity returned. “She left the Australian wilds for the broken parks and meadows of America, where humanity reigns supreme! And did she do anything for us animals after that? She did not!”

The jury looked to Dot and Twilight, to see if any of them would speak out of turn at this point, thereby swaying their judgment against the defense. But Dot merely nodded her head as if she was agreeing with the accusation, while Twilight was calmly taking notes using a notepad she had summoned into existence and one of her feathers converted into a pen.

The kangaroo mouse leapt up onto the lectern, startling Rainbow-Celestia. “She was kind to me once, but then she left me to be rich and American with the Platts.”

Twilight looked up and noted that the kangaroo mouse had a face that had been scarred by fire, thereby connecting her with one of the orphans that Dot had befriended at her urging.

“When she left us, she vowed to make life better for all animals, from the smallest insect to the biggest whale,” the kangaroo continued. “And did she do anything to carry out that vow? She did not!

“She has completely abandoned who she was! She has abandoned her childhood! Her imagination! She’s giving up her name, soon to be followed by her accent.” The kangaroo sneered as she added, “will she next forget her birth parents, and call the Platts her ‘mommy’ and ‘daddy’?”

Dot looked over at the kangaroo in a panic. And then, with a sad nod of her head, she buried her bleary-eyed face in her arms.

“The universe rests its case.”

Twilight rolled her eyes at the idea that the kangaroo’s argument represented the entire universe. “Your Honor,” she said, rising to her hooves. “The prosecution has grossly overstated its case. The defendant’s life is changing, in ways that she both does and does not have control over.

“She still cares about animals. The rabbits of Golden Oaks—”

“Objection!” cried the kangaroo. “Those animals are tame and need no protection.”

“They are not!” Twilight retorted.

“They were once tame, and therefore—”

“They were tame. And then they were bought from the pet store and released into the wild, for the specific purpose of being hunted,” said Twilight. She looked over at a startled Dot. “I didn’t tell you because there was nothing you could have done that you weren’t already doing.” To the judge she said, “and that is why I think they count as being wild, and why that therefore counts as Dot carrying out her promise.”

Rainbow-Celestia sat here.

“A ruling, Your Honor?” she prompted.

“Oh! Uh…objection overruled.”

The kangaroo grumbled.

“My client also intervened in the matter of the horses being exploited by Mr. Lignite.”

“Objection,” the kangaroo said calmly, but with certainty. “You misstate the facts, Miss Sparkle. The act of protection was entirely performed by Mrs. Platt. Dot approved of the action but did not initiate.”

“Oh. Yes, you’re right. But that does demonstrate that with the upcoming adoption, Dot will have access to the considerable power wielded by the Platts and is free to use that power to carry out her pledge.

“And that’s all I can think of, so the Defense rests.”

Rainbow-Celestia looked over at the other animals. “Jury, do you need to deliberate, or are you ready with your verdict?”

The koala, who had apparently been selected as forecreature of the jury, raised his paw. “Actually, could I ask a question?”

The judge pondered for a moment. “I don’t see why not.”

“Mrs. Kangaroo, you said you were the one most angry with the defendant. Is it because she plays with Twilight Sparkle now, instead of you?”

“That is only a small part of the reason.” Kangaroo stepped out in front of the jury. “Do you see this pouch?” she asked. “My joey used to ride in this pouch. And then I lost him.” An accusing finger pointed at Dot. “She promised to help me find him, and then she lied! It was our last game! What right did she have to stop playing with us? What kind of child leaves her previous imaginary friend behind for a new model, and leaves her bereft, suffering the pain of mourning for all time!”

Complete uproar broke out in the jury.

Dot sobbed openly.

Rainbow-Celestia pounded her hoof on a gavel several times, crying out “Order in the court! Order in the court!” until the jury finally calmed down. “Dot, is this true?”

“Yes,” Dot said in an utterly defeated tone. “Kangaroo, you said he could be anywhere in the world. But I never looked in America. And I did stop playing with all of you.

“So yes, it is true that I abandoned you, and the animals, and everything I used to be. I deserve whatever punishment you give me.”

“Dot!” cried Twilight.

The jury quickly conferred. “For that charge alone, we find the defendant, Dorothy Platt, guilty,” the koala announced with an apologetic tone.

Rainbow-Celestia sighed. “Then it is upon me to pronounce sentence. Dot MacPherson—”

“Dorothy Platt,” Kangaroo corrected in an angry voice.

Rainbow-Celestia rolled her eyes. “The defendant. She shall be…uargh!


Rainbow Dash suddenly fell out of the sky, landing hard on the ground next to Rarity. And yet Celestia was still standing behind the lectern.

“What happened?” Rarity asked Rainbow.

Rainbow sighed. “Dot’s dream took back the character,” she said.


“She shall be punished…by being fed to the bunyip!” pronounced this new Celestia.

“What?!” cried Twilight, before she too was thrown out of the clearing.

***

All of the other animals were now gone, leaving Dot and Kangaroo alone in the clearing. But only for a little while. Soon a new presence made itself felt…the bunyip.

It was a large hulking creature, covered with a white sheet with large black dots. Two holes in the front allowed the creature’s large glowing yellow eyes to be seen.

It was shaped like a bus, and its panting breath smelled of diesel.

Kangaroo, now dressed as a waiter, bowed. “Bunyip, may I present to you…your meal.”

Dot stood before the monster, bowing her head in submission.


Rarity looked on in horror. She made to rush forward, to fight the monster before it could have its way with Dot, but was pulled back by the other two ponies. “Why are you stopping me?” she pleaded.

“It’s up to her now,” explained Twilight. “This is her mind finally coming to terms with the changes in her life. She has to resolve this herself. If we alone saved her now, saved her when she herself wants to lose, then she would become dependent on us forever.”


Stop, fell beast! You shall not have my daughter!

A form stepped into the light. At first it appeared human, but then it shifted…into a small creature in a blue cape and wizard’s hat, both adorned with light blue stars. It threw a couple of smoke bombs in the creature’s face, forcing it to back off with a black sooty cough.

“Who are you?” Kangaroo asked (sans costume).

The creature moved between the bunyip and its prey. “Do you not recognize the miracle in your midst? It is I, the Great and Powerful Trixie the Platypus!” In a more dismissive voice she quickly added, “And her assistant. O’Shea.”

“‘T’was brillig,” the voice of O’Shea intoned around them, “and the slithy tothes did gyre and gimble in the wabe.’ The Bush can be considered a wabe.” A second platypus presented himself. “Mr. O. C. Platypus, at your service.”

The bunyip, deciding to waste no more time, leapt up and over Trixie, pouncing down and apparently flattening Dot. But when it moved aside, there was no trace of her to be found.

O.C. stepped aside, revealing a surprised Dot.

The bunyip leapt again, and again landed upon nothing.

There was a tap on its hood, and it tried to crane its “head” around to see O.C. and Dot standing atop it.

“No fair!” cried Kangaroo. “How are you doing that?”

“That’s the ‘paradoxus’ part of my scientific name: Ornithorhynchus paradoxus,” declared O.C.

“Technically, it’s been Ornithorhynchus anatinus since 1934,” corrected Trixie.

O.C. pushed a banana cream pie into his wife’s face, despite being thirty feet away a half-second ago. “Stop spoiling my fun, Trix,” he quipped.

The bunyip tried to stomp Trixie out of existence while she was distracted, but she bonked it on the head with a giant mallet that had a half-life of approximately fifteen frames.

“Oh, very well,” she conceded. “For this dream at least, we are Ornithorhynchus paradoxus.”

The bunyip made another run at Dot. It was stopped by a half an orange thrown into one of its eyes. It turned to face the kangaroo mouse. “You may be leaving us, Dot,” she declared, “but that doesn’t mean I want you to get hurt.”

Yeah!

The other animals all emerged from the darkness, and Dot knew that they were her other friends from the orphanage. “Really?” she asked. “You all still care about me?”

“You were the best thing to ever happen to me after the accident,” the wombat told her. “Even now, a week after I was adopted, the memory of your words gives me so much hope.”

Dot teared up.

Nodding to herself, Twilight took this moment to fly back into the scene. “We are all here for you Dot. No matter your name, no matter who your legal parents are, we all support you.” She gestured towards the bunyip, who suddenly seemed to be cowering away from the girl. “You don’t have to face your fears alone.”

Dot walked up the bunyip, her heart pounding, carefully looking the frightened creature over. Finally, she got a firm grasp of the sheet that covered it and pulled it aside.

This revealed a strange sort of bus-creature. Its body…its body looked like somebody had used the “Erase” tool in Photoshop to remove parts of the walls in parallel strips, so that the remaining bands of metal looked like a sort of rib cage. Visible inside of this body were Dot’s parents, her birth parents. They got up from the floor of the bus and stared at her, grasping onto the “ribs”. Their faces were blurred out of existence. They were also as translucent as Twilight was in the waking world.

Dot flinched on seeing them, but proceeded to walk forward, to the front of the bus, which was also striped to allow its innards to be easily seen. Instead of an engine compartment, a teenage boy sat in the fetal position. Light shone out of his eyes and through the headlights, to be the eyes that were visible when the sheet was in place.

Dot stepped up to look at him. “Why…?” she asked.


Rainbow Dash concentrated.


A screen appeared before the bus monster, and the lights of the boy’s eyes became a film being projected onto that screen:

The boy, wearing a prison jumpsuit, was standing on a podium in a high school stadium, with everyone in the school watching him. The point of view was one of high school students.


“This is from Ethan,” Rainbow explained. “The killer made a confession to every high school assembly in the area, at his own insistence.”


I had a rough childhood,” he told them in a dull voice. “I was beaten, and abused. I fell in with a rough crowd, one which judged each other based on the violence and outrageousness of their acts. I killed those two to keep from losing their respect. I expected them to praise me for what I did. I at least expected them to stand by me when I was arrested, to help me fight the police to a standstill.

But they abandoned me. Ran away like cowards, every one of them. And I soon figured out something about myself: I was a coward, too. I hurt my girlfriend because I was afraid of her. And I killed those two because I was scared of them.

But nothing compared with that girl, the one who survived. The ­look she gave me…that look of pain, of loss, will haunt me until the day I die.

I had a rough life. But I didn’t have to be a rough person. I could have been stronger. I could have been braver. But I didn’t, and so I stand before you all, broken. All the promise and possibility of my life, thrown away for an act of petty revenge.

Don’t be like me.


The film ended. Dot reached forward to touch the cowering boy, but he faded away.

The bus and its occupants began to fade away as well. Dot ran back and reached out to her parents, who reached out of the bus’ ribs to embrace her one last time.

We love you…” Their voices echoed as they faded away.

Twilight stepped forward for a hug.

Dot, shaking her head, walked past her to Kangaroo, pulling her into a hug instead. “I’m sorry, Kangaroo,” she told her. “I didn’t think you were strong enough to help me after I lost my parents.”

“I was strong enough for you that time you thought you were lost forever,” Kangaroo replied, still sullen. Her tiny little arms were crossed.

“You’re right. You’re right,” Dot replied. “But…” she looked back at Twilight.

Kangaroo followed her gaze and sighed. “Yeah, I can’t really compete with that.”

“I’ll play with you more,” Dot said, looking straight into her eyes.

“Did you just get taller?” Kangaroo asked.

In fact she was once again back to her current age.

“You don’t mind, do you?” Dot asked Twilight.

“Of course not.”

Dot, who had been hugging Kangaroo this whole time, waved one arm to invite Twilight to join the hug.

Twilight hesitated, until Kangaroo opened one of her own arms out to allow her in.

They were soon joined by the Platypi, the other animals, and then Rainbow and Rarity.

And here the dream ended.