• Published 16th Apr 2024
  • 124 Views, 7 Comments

When the soldiers sing - Udahyas



An anthology of short moments where soldiers in the Equestria at War universe sing.

  • ...
0
 7
 124

Njet, Chrysalis! (Olenia)

The snow falls softly on my head. The wind is whistling among the mountains. The cold is getting almost painful, mainly because I haven't changed my position in the last few hours. After all, it's my responsibility not to let the Changelings even think about crossing these mountains. And it is advisable not to disclose my position.

"I hope everything is fine on other fronts. I muttered to myself as I looked at the Changeling camp below through the scope of my rifle. From what I could see, motorized Changeling units had stopped in front of the positions of our mountain division. It's not entirely clear what they're counting on. How are these things going to get through the mountains?

It doesn't matter. It is better not to fill your head with unnecessary questions. If I accidentally lose my concentration, I might miss something important. For example, the moment when the Changelings try to bring artillery here.

A particularly heavy sigh escaped my lips in the form of a small cloud of steam. I tensed for just a second, assuming that the Changelings might have noticed it. However, it seemed like they were much more occupied with something strange right now. They stood in a line and periodically opened their mouths. Singing?

"Are they trying to intimidate us?" I muttered in embarrassment, rubbing the rifle lightly with my hoof. Looking at this, I want to shoot one of these invaders in the head. But I don't have a lot of bullets. And I won't be able to return to the camp until a replacement comes here.

Where is she anyway? I'm supposed to be replaced every twelve hours, but the sun has been up for a long time. I've been sitting here for probably sixteen hours now. . .

As if expecting my disappointment, an almost inaudible crunch of snow under the weight of someone's hooves was heard from behind. Most likely hooves in snowshoes, judging by the volume of the sound. Reflexively, I rolled onto my back and pointed the rifle in the direction from which the sound was coming. After a couple of tired blinks, my eyes were able to determine that my replacement was standing a dozen steps away from me. A very short doe who was wearing a camouflage suit, which looked very loose on her.

"Uh, I'm ready to replace you, Mr. Corporal." She whispered awkwardly putting a hoof to her temple. A sigh filled with a mixture of unpleasant emotions escaped my lips.

Why did she get into such an important direction? How did she even get into the mountain rifle troops!?

After a couple of seconds, I snorted and said, very carefully crawling away from the slope so as not to get into the Changeling's field of vision. After a few silent seconds of crawling, I struggled to stand on four hooves and asked looking at my replacement: "Ready to go on duty?"

In response, she only nodded actively and slowly walked past me, smoothly moving into a supine position. Surprisingly, she didn't do it as badly as I expected. Although it could have been better.

The most important thing is that she does not allow the Changelings to prepare artillery. As a last resort, there are other snipers in the mountains.

Nodding slightly to myself, I turned around on the spot and slowly walked forward, stopping periodically along the way to stretch my hooves. In the end, I sat in place, practically not moving for more than half a day. I think an unprepared deer would not even be able to stand up after such an experience.

Soon I found myself in front of a steep slope, at the bottom of which I could see the quite cozy camp of our detachment. Well, it was as cozy as possible for a place that is located among the mountains and can become a victim of a landslide with a non-zero probability. And that's not to mention what happens if the Changelings can bring the artillery close enough to start firing.

"Don't be nervous. At least, everything is going great on our front line. Victory is coming soon." I muttered to myself as I adjusted my snowshoes before starting to carefully descend the slope. Not that snowshoes helped me much in this activity.

It's just nice to know that the Changelings will have a harder time finding my tracks. Everything that makes the enemy worse is good.

With a sigh, I finished the descent down the slope and found myself in front of a large camp. Most of the deer were sitting around the campfire and trying to keep warm while eating their rations. Of course, everyone here has undergone incredible training to fight well in the cold mountains. But if there is an opportunity to keep warm, it is better to use it.

Chuckling slightly to myself, I started walking towards the campfire, hoping to get my portion of food, rest and sleep. However, my desire was temporarily suspended by the sounds of footsteps on the right. What if it's an enemy!?

Almost instantly, turning in the direction from which the sound came, I saw the squad leader coming out of his tent with a strange expression on his face. Boredom, misunderstanding, something like that.

Maybe I'm a little paranoid. Well, it's better to be cowardly than to be dead.

I stood at attention, waiting for the commander to tell me. At this time, the other soldiers of the squad did not show such enthusiasm and were extremely slow to put their food on the felled trees before repeating my gesture. After briefly taking a look at us all, he said slowly, with obvious embarrassment in his voice: "Soldiers! A message has just been received on the radio from the high command. We are required to perform a song. "

" What? I asked, slowly lowering my hoof to the ground. Not only is it just weird, but singing here can cause a landslide. This is not to mention the fact that the changelings can determine our position and try to arrange shelling. Well, the latter will only happen if absolutely all snipers fail.

The captain looked at me briefly and nodded slightly, as if agreeing with the stupidity of the idea. He then cleared his throat briefly before saying, "In order to boost morale and intimidate the enemy, of course!"

I don't think we need a morale boost. Like, the Changelings are stuck here and haven't been able to move forward for weeks. But an order is an order, I suppose.

Taking a deep breath, I asked reluctantly, "So what are we going to sing?"

The commander took a breath and pulled out a small piece of paper from his uniform before saying: "I was given the lyrics of the song that we will perform. Fortunately, I recorded it."

He was either dictated to very slowly, or he is not bad at deer magic. In the second option, it's probably good that the commander has a lot of skills.

My thoughts were interrupted by a brief gesture from the commander, ordering me to go to the rest of the soldiers, go to the campfire. Not that I mind. With a quick step, I joined the line with all my comrades. After that, the commander sighed and said, looking at the lyrics in his hoof: "Okay, I'll sing and you try to sing along. Let's start faster, let's finish faster."

I nodded in agreement and the next moment the commander began to sing uncertainly, so far alone:

Olenia, Olenia,

The beasts in Vesalipolis care about you again

A mad queen obsessed with grandeur mania

And she shouts, "At any cost, cross this mountain!"

Hmm, actually not bad. If we had musical instruments, I would even nod my head a little to the beat.

While I was silently thinking, the commander took a short breath and continued to sing, a little more confidently:

Njet, Chrysalis, you're lying, Chrysalis,

It's not the deer's fault that you're in a crisis.

For a couple of seconds, the commander stood in place, shifting from one foot to the other before repeating, already with a great expression:

Njet, Chrysalis, you're lying, Chrysalis,

It's not the deer's fault that you're in a crisis!

Oh, I see. This is the chorus. And I've already figured out the nature of this song. I can try to sing along. Although I'm still not impressed with the whole situation.

When the commander took a breath to continue singing, several soldiers, including me, repeated it and tried to sing along:

Olenia, Olenia,

Do not be afraid, because the enemy's tanks will not pass,

While our soldiers are breaking them like glass

And while there is still grass!

To be honest, I didn't expect the last line at all. Yeah, at this rate, we won't be able to sing well at all. Well, we have to try to do everything the best we can. We are following orders after all.

Guessing that a verse was about to follow, all the soldiers took a breath and sang in chorus:

Njet, Chrysalis, you're lying, Chrysalis,

It's not the deer's fault that you're in a crisis.

Njet, Chrysalis, you're lying, Chrysalis,

It's not the deer's fault that you're in a crisis!

Am I starting to like this?

Without any intention, I began to beat a peculiar rhythm with my hoof. Even more surprisingly, other soldiers did it too, which created a rhythm that almost replaced real musical instruments. A brief smile appeared on the commander's face before he continued to sing:

Eventually, the war will end.,

We will come to the lair and Chrysalis said:

"Please let me miss!"

Our response was fair and loud:

Njet, Chrysalis!

After that, there was silence in the air, interrupted only by a brief shortness of breath after singing. But after a few seconds, the commander finally said: "All the singing is over. You can rest." in

"Finally." I mumbled happily before quickly sitting down by the campfire and taking the first ration I noticed. I'm too hungry and cold to go looking for my own rations. Besides, singing took all my remaining strength.

And in general, music is certainly good. But it won't win the war.