• Published 3rd Apr 2024
  • 287 Views, 7 Comments

Of Heroes and Magic - ANerdWithASwitch



A cosmic coincidence and a unique interaction of gravikinetic quirks send eight hero students to Equestria. How might they adapt, and can they even hope to get home?

  • ...
2
 7
 287

Chapter I: Multidimensional

"In geometry, a hypersurface is a generalization of the concepts of hyperplane, plane curve, and surface. A hypersurface is a manifold or an algebraic variety of dimension n − 1, which is embedded in an ambient space of dimension n, generally a Euclidean space..."
-Wikipedia, "Hypersurface"


Ida Tenya was having a bad day. He was unsure whether he would later look back on this as the worst day, but it was certainly in his top five. Today, after all, marked the second time his class had been attacked by villains, and the third time he, personally, had encountered them. Those three incidents, along with the day of this year’s Sports Festival when he learned of his brother’s injury, made up four of his top five worst days of all time.

The fifth was the day that Tensei broke the news to him that Santa wasn’t real. It was a formative memory and Tenya was still of the opinion that maintaining the lie in the first place was detrimental!

Regardless, much like the USJ and Hosu incidents, this attack on their summer camp sprang from nowhere. The random lottery had placed him and Hagakure on a team for the test of courage, and while he would freely admit to having been startled by several of Class 1-B’s antics, the invisible girl behind him had seemed to screech at every passing noise.

Her heightened awareness from fright saved them, however, as when a pink gas began spreading through the forest, Hagakure noticed it first and proceeded to inform him with another shriek. He had paid close attention to his sister class’s quirks during the second round of the Sports Festival to avoid surprise, so Tenya was certain that this wasn’t the work of another student. None of the pros with them had a quirk like this (and they weren’t supposed to be involved in this event, anyway), and Tenya doubted that Kota would freely participate in anything involving his class. Thus, only one possibility remained:

His class was being attacked by villains.

Again.

So Tenya did the sensible thing. He deduced that the gas was likely dangerous quickly enough to pick Hagakure up, activate [Engine], and flee. Unfortunately, their positioning in the path forced Tenya to run further into the woods, skirting around the low-hanging cloud as he dodged around trees and rocks. He had to stay mindful of Hagakure’s positioning in his arms as well—her invisibility made it difficult to judge whether or not any given obstacle might bump into her.

Thankfully, he had already explored quite a bit of the Beast’s Forest during training over the past couple of days, and was by this point well-experienced in using his quirk in the woods. Still, the gas cloud was large enough and mobile enough to delay his attempts to return to the camp by a few minutes.

When he arrived at the starting area of the test of courage, the fighting seemed to already be over. Pixie-Bob was unconscious from a head wound, though Mandalay was tending to her while Tiger used [Pilabody] to keep the two unconscious villains restrained.

After a moment, Hagakure coughed. “Uh, Ida? You can probably put me down, now.”

There was another beat of silence before Tenya flushed in embarrassment that his first instinct to extract her was to pick her up bridal style. Still, he made sure to avoid dropping her, at least, as he hurriedly allowed her to stand up herself. Almost immediately, he adjusted his glasses and bowed. “I must apologize for any impropriety, Hagakure!”

The invisible girl scoffed amusedly. “It’s cool, don’t worry.”

Before Tenya could go any further with his apologies, Mandalay cut in. “You two kittens should get back to the lodge.”

Hagakure seemed to nod along with that, if Tenya was reading her body language properly, but he himself frowned. “How many are still in the woods?” he asked. “If needed, I can extract-”

“Regardless of how fast you are, I am not authorizing a student to actively put themselves at risk running into a villain attack!” Mandalay cut in.

That…was fair, Tenya considered. As much as he desired to help his classmates, he would do no good if he took himself out in the process. Hagakure almost immediately ran off on the path to the lodge, and he was about to follow before Tiger spoke.

“Not that that stopped Midoriya,” He grumbled under his breath. “What the hell was he thinking running in with two broken arms?” Clearly Tenya hadn’t been meant to hear that, but it was still loud enough for him to just barely make out. Mandalay shot him a look as Tenya stopped, his emotions suddenly—and strongly—conflicting with his logic.

Midoriya had run back into the woods. Midoriya, who had proven himself far more heroic than Tenya during the entrance exam when he broke himself to save Uraraka. Midoriya, who had positively mangled his hand during the Sports Festival just to break through to Todoroki. Midoriya, who had risked life and limb to save Tenya from himself in Hosu. And now, presumably after facing down some other villain and down two limbs, he still ran back into the fray to save more people.

Midoriya’s motivations, Tenya knew, were far different from what his own were in Hosu. But his attempt to deliver vigilante justice unto Stain and Midoriya running into a villain attack with both his arms broken would have the same result: both were effectively suicidal charges. And when Tenya broke the rules and got himself in over his head, Midoriya had put himself at risk to save him.

So how could Tenya call himself Midoriya’s friend if he didn’t return the favor?

Mandalay had apparently caught onto his thought process and wasted no time making her displeasure known. “Ida, don’t-”

“I’m sorry, Mandalay,” Tenya apologized, “but Midoriya is my closest friend. I cannot allow him to face this alone.”

Any of Mandalay’s further orders were lost on the wind as Tenya fired up [Engine] and sped off into the trees.


Uraraka Ochako started running as soon as Aoyama’s laser hit the magician villain, but she could tell that she and Tsu were going to be too late. Shoji had managed to grab one of the marbles but the fire villain was too fast and got the other before Todoroki could. And now Kurogiri was preparing to warp and the villains were going to get away all because they weren’t fast enough.

She heard an engine behind her, and quickly glanced over her shoulder before she allowed herself to regain some hope. Ida was there and quickly approaching! Maybe they still had a chance!

Looking back ahead, Ochako tried to put together a plan as quickly as she could. Back at the USJ, when she had hit Kurogiri with [Zero Gravity], it seemed to interrupt his warp. At the very least, he had been distracted enough to not stop Ida from retreating. It wasn’t much to go on, but it had to be enough; the fire villain had his hand around Bakugo’s neck and Kurogiri’s mist was starting to spread.

This probably wouldn’t be any better than Deku’s earlier plan, but it was something! She wrapped her right hand around her left arm, negating her gravity and doing her best to ignore the sudden bout of nausea that came with it—Ochako blamed the blood loss and desperation for momentarily forgetting about that side effect of her quirk. Still, she pushed through it and hoped beyond hope that Ida was close enough to hear her as she shouted. “Ida, throw me at Kurogiri!”

She felt her friend grab her and, thankfully not questioning it, hurl her forward. The throw added to Ida’s already considerable speed, and within a second Ochako had broken out of the trees and into the clearing. But Ida’s aim had been off, and for half a moment she despaired that, despite everything, they were still going to lose.

Then Tsu’s tongue slammed into her side, and Ochako’s trajectory was redirected.

Her entry had been swift enough that none of the villains had time to properly react, and Ochako reached out, her left hand splayed to activate her quirk as Ida and Tsu were entering the clearing. Her fingers brushed against Kurogiri’s metal brace just as he dissolved into mist.

[Zero Gravity] and [Warp Gate] activated simultaneously.


Under most people’s ideas of physics, gravity is a fundamental force of the universe, alongside electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. While this is sufficient for most cases—Newtonian gravity was good enough to get humanity to the Moon, after all—the idea of gravity being a force at all is fundamentally flawed. In 1915, Albert Einstein published “The Field Equations of Gravitation,” in which he detailed his theory of general relativity, turning humanity’s understanding of gravity on its head. It introduced the idea of spacetime, a four-dimensional manifold that makes up the fabric of reality itself, containing all of three-dimensional space along with one dimension of time.

The global curvature of this manifold was a hotly debated topic among physicists for decades, but later calculations confirmed that, as far as humanity could tell, the universe is flat. One could approximate it with a four-dimensional hyperplane.

Locally, however, reality is curved. Gravity is the effect of energy, which warps and curves the hypersurface of the universe, on spacetime. This is barely noticeable at planetary scales—the entire Earth only curves local spacetime by about one part per million—though around extremely dense objects like neutron stars and especially black holes, the curvature is noticeable even to the naked eye.

[Warp Gate], however, abuses this fact of reality to an extreme degree. In a range of around four hundred kilometers, Kurogiri can temporarily link two points in four-dimensional space such that they occupy the same three-dimensional coordinates. For a lower dimensional analogue, one can imagine folding a piece of paper to force two points together, an analogy that many before have heard to describe a wormhole. Creating wormholes is, after all, effectively what [Warp Gate] does.

[Zero Gravity], on the other hand, is far more subtle in its manipulations of spacetime. In order to conserve energy and both angular and linear momentum while maintaining the observable effects, [Zero Gravity] constantly shifts the spacetime around an object under its effect to keep it tethered to the Sun and to Earth’s rotation. Otherwise, any object Uraraka Ochako affected would supersonically shoot off to the east.

Unfortunately for everyone in the clearing that fateful Tuesday night, [Zero Gravity]’s subtle effects on spacetime were still enough to disrupt [Warp Gate]’s more overt effects. Spacetime almost snapped back to its natural configuration just as Kurogiri was beginning to open a wormhole, sending a small gravitational wave through the Earth and greatly confusing the few scientists still keeping an eye on LIGO. [Warp Gate], however, was still active and searching for valid coordinates to warp to. Ordinarily, this would not be a problem, but Uraraka Ochako had interrupted Kurogiri in the small amount of time it took to actually open a gate, leaving his quirk searching for coordinates off of the manifold of the universe.

And none involved had yet considered that there may be more than three spatial dimensions.


On another manifold, in another world, infinitely far away in three dimensions but only twenty-three kilometers away in an orthogonal fourth, the Tree of Harmony pulsed as its Elements were returned to it. A blast of harmony magic destroyed the many plundervines that had begun snaking their way across Equestria, releasing the Princesses and allowing Luna’s starry night to take hold. Unbeknownst to everypony, however, said blast of harmony magic was not limited to three-dimensional space and, in a cosmic coincidence, coincided with Uraraka Ochako activating her quirk on Kurogiri.

And [Warp Gate], ever eager to serve its master and attracted to this energy blast, took the first chance it had to find a valid set of coordinates and pulled.


Discord, lounging in his home in Chaosville, sat bolt upright as he felt something yank on the fabric of reality. Snapping his paw, he slowed time to get a proper look-see at whoever was trying to break into Equestria’s reality. He was rather fond of it, nowadays, or at the very least a pony living in it, and as much as he loved a good bit of chaos damaging reality itself for it wouldn’t be worth it. After all, he couldn’t mess with ponies if there weren’t any ponies to mess with!

The draconequus hummed in thought as he flashed into the landing site and inspected the newly-formed wormhole. It was effectively the same effect as any other teleporter, even if it was coming from outside of the universe. But oh what was on the other end was fascinating indeed. Humans! He hadn’t messed with that species in millennia! Oh, if only Jean-Luc was still around.

Still, these new humans seemed a bit at odds with each other, what with one of them having his hand around another’s neck and by the stars those were a lot of burns. There were other injuries as well, but Discord could at least clearly tell who was attacking who with a tiny bit of mind reading. It would be a trivial matter to separate the two groups, at least, but by now he couldn’t stop them from coming through unless he put a lot of effort into it. Even for a creature as magnificent as him, transdimensional travel still took a lot out of him.

Meh, he couldn’t really be bothered. As long as Fluttershy was safe he didn’t really care. He waved his talon and wrenched the wormhole into having two openings and, after making sure that all of the humans were alive and made it through, teleported himself back to Chaosville.

He, of course, already had a bucket of popcorn prepared. Humans! In Equestria! Oh, this was going to be glorious.


In the Beast’s Forest, Aoyama Yuga, Frenchman, hero student, and unwilling spy for All For One, stared blankly at the space the villains and his classmates had been in only moments before. Trembling, he forced himself out of the bush he was hiding in and stumbled as he forced back the bile rising in his throat.

Eight. Eight of his classmates had just been kidnapped, two of whom had had serious injuries! Shoji was missing an arm and Midoriya’s were both broken, and now they were at the mercy of villains. And it was entirely his fault. He had given the League their location, after all.

The faces of his classmates flashed through his mind. The shock on Tokoyami’s after he had been unmarbled. Midoriya’s despair at failing to save Bakugo. Everyone's relief when Uraraka came flying in. The sheer determination in her expression. And everyone’s surprised faces when Kurogiri just took them all.

Yuga stumbled again, fighting back the urge to vomit from the stress. He…he couldn’t do this anymore. He couldn’t keep giving information to All For One. Not after this. He would have to turn himself in.

This time, Yuga actually did vomit into a nearby bush as the thought crossed his mind. If he did this, if he went to the heroes and gave himself up…

All For One would almost certainly kill his parents.

Whimpering, an indecisive Yuga found a tree to sit against.

Merde.”


In a bar in Yokohama, Shigaraki Tomura scratched at his neck in annoyance. Kurogiri had come back with Magne and Spinner—who both had been knocked the fuck out, disappointingly—and apparently had already delivered the chainsaw Nomu to Sensei. So why the hell was he taking so long to grab the objective and get back?

The clock on the wall continued to tick annoyingly and Tomura’s scratching increased. “Where the fuck is the rest of my party?”

The television in the back remained silent.


In a warehouse in Kamino Ward, All For One frowned. He almost constantly used a mental quirk to keep his Nomu in line, and it was particularly useful for keeping an eye on Kurogiri. He may have still been a Nomu, but he was sapient enough to be potentially worrying, and All For One did not want to risk his best warper to the possibility of Shirakumo Oboro’s consciousness resurfacing, as low of a risk as that was.

Shirakumo had already been dead for hours when the Doctor operated on him, after all.

But still, something had happened to the mental connection he shared with Kurogiri. Either the warper was unconscious, which would be a minor setback to his plans, or dead—well, more dead than he was already—which would be a major setback to his plans. Regardless, it would be a good idea to get a read on his location.

Truly, he couldn’t wait until Tomura’s little league got back to him with [Search].

Shifting, All For One looked towards Doctor Garaki, all the while mentally cursing the buffoon for taking his eyes six years prior. [Thermal Vision] was simply not comparable to normal eyesight, but he made do. “Doctor,” All For One spoke, and Garaki immediately turned around to face him. [Thermal Vision] couldn’t make out much detail, but [Empathy] let All For One know that his doctor was showing, somewhat surprisingly, trace amounts of fear.

Now, someone fearing All For One was not a novel occurrence. He was a one hundred thirty-seven year old supervillain who made a name for himself stealing quirks and had ruled the Japanese underworld for over a century. But Doctor Kyudai Garaki was one of the few people who never feared him. In fact, the only time All For One ever recalled Garaki showing fear was when confronted with something he truly couldn’t understand.

“Yes, Master?” Garaki asked.

“Do we have Kurogiri’s location?”

Garaki gulped, actually gulped, and All For One knew he had immediately hit the nail on the head. “No.”

All For One hummed. “Is the signal being blocked, perhaps?”

“That’s…doubtful,” Garaki said. “That tracker had dozens of failsafes that would have at least triggered first before the signal cut.” He looked back at one of his screens. This setup was rather different from his usual lab, but the pair were preparing for what All For One knew would be the end of All Might, so they had to compromise with the warehouse. “The signal was just…gone.”


And in a clearing in the Everfree Forest, not far from the Castle of the Two Sisters, eight high schoolers fell out of a purple, misty portal that promptly vanished. Immediately, one let out an involuntary wail of pain as his already severely battered and broken right arm wound up wedged underneath him.

Uraraka Ochako was the first to move in response to Deku’s cry, quickly negating his gravity and floating the weight off of his arm. All he could do was let out a pained whimper in response, and Ochako felt her heart shatter at the noise.

It wasn’t long before the adrenaline started to wear off and, the danger seeming to have passed, Deku passed out from the pain.

The others were quick to push themselves to their feet as well, and Todoroki lit his left hand to offer some light when the darkness around Tokoyami began writhing too much. It took a few seconds, but Shoji was the one to eventually ask the question everyone was thinking.

“Where are we?”

It was still nighttime, but the forest they were in wasn’t anything like the Beast’s Forest. The very air around them felt oppressive, like they were constantly being watched. The trees were different too, but Ochako wasn’t well-versed enough in botany to be able to tell the species.

What she was well-versed in, however, was astronomy. And looking up, her heart fell. There weren’t any constellations she immediately recognized. No Sagittarius, no Ursa Major, no Cygnus.

Alright, fine, maybe that just meant they were in the southern hemisphere? Except…she couldn’t see the Southern Cross either…or the Milky Way, for that matter.

Finally, dread beginning to pool in her heart, Ochako looked to the Moon and almost physically recoiled. The crater patterns were wrong, and the Oceanus Procellarum just straight-up didn’t exist. And on top of everything else, it was far, far too big in the sky.

Fuck.

“Guys,” she said, snapping everyone’s attention to her, “the stars are wrong.”

“The fuck does that one mean, Round Face?”

Ochako lowered her gaze, but couldn’t bring herself to meet anyone’s eyes as her voice wavered. “The stars are wrong,” she repeated. “We’re not on Earth.”

Author's Note:

Hello, everyone! I am here with more crossover shenanigans! This time between MLP and MHA! Which I...still haven't seen past Season 3 but I've read enough fanfiction for it and scoured the wiki enough to know pretty much the entire story past that.

Also, don't worry too much about aPPPPoPP; I will get back to that, but this idea has been bouncing around in my brain for a while and I had to get it down, lest it become all I think about.

Oh, and for a full list of the eight students that were brought to Equestria, because this chapter doesn't focus too much on exploring exactly who was in every scene:
Midoriya Izuku, Uraraka Ochako, Ida Tenya, Asui Tsuyu, Todoroki Shoto, Bakugo Katsuki, Shoji Mezo, and Tokoyami Fumikage (and Dark Shadow with him).

In any case, I hope to see y'all again soon!