• Published 10th Mar 2024
  • 224 Views, 2 Comments

Under the Radar - Mystery1



Lightning Dust's attempt at running away from her problems doesn't go as planned.

  • ...
 2
 224

Nothing To Lose

Lightning Dust backed up right into Misty, accidently knocking her back. She turned around and grinned nervously. Misty Fly turned her back around with her hooves, gesturing her to walk into the room.

“Right this way, Lightning Dust.” Spitfire invited her in.

Dust walked ahead and began to survey her surroundings. The room was larger than her cell, nearly pitch black save for a small light hanging above a table with three chairs.

“You can have a seat. Do you need some water or something before we start?” Spitfire asked, staring intently at Dust.

Lightning avoided her gaze, staring down and shaking her head timidly.

“If you say so. Soarin and Misty Fly will be with us while you’re being questioned, alright? We’ll talk about what happens after.”

She shook her head, turning to Misty with an uncomfortable look in her eyes.

Misty walked up to Dust, whispering in her ear, “You can look at her, she’s not mad or anything.”

Lightning Dust obeyed, slowly raising her head to face Spitfire, who smiled.

“There we are. How are you feeling?”

“I…I’m feeling…I-“

“She’s a little nervous.” Soarin filled in.

“Hm. Well, I don’t blame you. You did miss your interrogation date, but that’s not important right now. I need to ask you some questions about your ‘Washouts’ group.”

“A…Alright…” Dust whispered, unsure of herself.

“Let’s begin. What is your role in the group?”

Dust hesitated before responding, “Leader.”

Spitfire took a pen in her mouth and began writing on the notepad infront of her.

“And what exactly do you ponies do?”

“We…ehm…we’re a stunt group. We fly in shows and stuff…”

“Like the Wonderbolts do?”

“Y…yeah…kind of.”

“Hm…so what made you start this group?”

“Well…you did…ever since I was kicked out of Wonderbolt Academy and all, I wanted to continue chasing my dream of being an unstoppable flying machine…”

“So you started this to be better than the Wonderbolts…?”

“Uhm…W…well…not exactly…I just wanted to…fly by my own rules…and with others who’d do the same…”

Spitfire stopped writing and looked up at the sweating pegasus infront of her.

“So…why did you fail to appear on January 15th?”

Dust looked away from Spitfire, glancing at Soarin and Misty Fly before sighing deeply.

“Well, she was out partying after a long month of traveling for their Washouts flight shows. She wasn’t able to return home in time.” Misty Fly interjected.

“Yeah, and we found her out in Las Pegasus. She was…well…a bit out of it. She came with us voluntarily, though, only worried about the outcome of this interrogation.” Soarin added, flashing a faint smile to both Misty and Dust.

“Well, how’d the show go?” Spitfire changed subjects, throwing Dust off.

“Well, pretty great, actually. I did a bunch of firey stunts, but…I don’t think you’d approve of them…”

“Nonsense, tell me about it…one flier to another.”

“A couple of firey hoops…I also flipped through them…” Dust said, lifting her face to reveal a small smile.

“You like to push yourself harder than any-pony I know. I’m proud knowing that I had such a strong impact on you.”

“You mean you’re not mad…or anything?”

“Nope.”

“Not even for the academy disaster I caused…?”

“You had good intentions, but it was very reckless. No-pony got hurt, and I’d like to keep it that way.”

Lightning Dust smiled, regaining her confidence in herself and about the dauntingly old incident.

“Well, that just about wraps this interview up.”

“That’s it…? What about the arrest warrant..? I’m going to jail after this, right…?” Dust frantically responded, her nervous tone seeping back into her voice.

“Oh yeah…well, your sentence would be 2 months in the Wonderbolts Correctional Facility, but…”

“2 months…?! I…I…” she stammered, her mouth agape at the sudden answer.

“But…since you did comply with Soarin and Misty Fly…and you missed the meeting by accident…I think I can lower the sentence to a week.”

Lightning let out a large sigh of relief as she rested her head on the table.

“Well…one week in the facility won’t be that bad…”

“Oh…you’re not going to the correctional hall, you’re gonna be spending your week on house arrest.”

“House arrest…? So I can go home…?”

“Yeah, just as long as you don’t leave your home.”

“Thank you so much! I’m so sorry for missing the interview date.” She exhaled, staring directly at the two pegasi behind her.

“Thank you so much, you two helped me so much. I’m sorry for causing so much trouble for you to clean up…”

“Don’t mention it, we’re only doing our jobs.” Soarin answered.

“Well, you didn’t do anything on purpose. I’m glad we found you before you did anything you would’ve regretted…” Misty Fly replied, grinning at her.

“Well…you’re right…I would’ve dug a deeper hole for myself…” Dust said, smiling.

“Anyways, you’re set to leave today and finish your week of house arrest. Misty Fly, can you put this hoof bracelet on her?” Spitfire asked, pulling out a small monitor from her saddlebag.

“Of course.” Misty answered, taking the bracelet and placing it on Dust’s hoof, tightening it.

Lightning stared at her hoof as the monitor beeped once, emitting a small red light every few seconds.

"Well, what happens if it falls off?"

"We'll know, and we'll send two Wonderbolts to your home. It'll beep rapidly if you leave your home, too."

Dust was nervous about the monitoring, but was also happy she wouldn't be sitting in jail.

"Well...I won't make the same mistake again..."

Misty Fly adjusted the bracelet, turning to smile up at Lightning.

"Is that too loose or tight?" She asked.

"No, it's snug and firm, thanks." Dust responded.

"Well, I appreciate you being so compliant and understanding. Soarin and Misty Fly, can you escort her home?" Spitfire asked.

"Yes ma'am." They both said in unison.

After exiting the interrogation room and leaving the Wonderbolts Headquarters, the three of them started their journey to Lightning Dust's house. Cloudsdale wasn't too far away, which means Lightning would be able to relax soon.

It took around 15 minutes, but the three pegasi had finally touched down onto Dust's doorstep. Dust unlocked her door and let them both in.

Author's Note:

Interrogation's been dealt with. Hopefully you guys enjoyed that longer chapter.
Last chapter to be published sometime tomorrow or Friday!