• Published 10th Mar 2024
  • 223 Views, 2 Comments

Under the Radar - Mystery1



Lightning Dust's attempt at running away from her problems doesn't go as planned.

  • ...
 2
 223

Waiting Game

As they sat in the holding cell enjoying each other’s company, both Lightning Dust and Misty Fly got to know each other more.

“So you were discharged from the Wonderbolt Academy?” Misty asked.

“Well, yeah…I just tried to do my best and I ended up putting others in danger.” Dust responded disappointedly.

“Well, I see why she removed you. But that doesn’t mean she hates you. You said it yourself, she made you lead wing pony. She said you pushed your limits harder than any-pony-else.”

“You think she’ll…yell at me or anything?”

“She won’t, she was just looking out for the safety of others. I promise she won’t hate you or anything.

“I trust you…but what happens after the interview?”

“That’s up to Spitfire to decide, she’s the one in charge after all. Don't be afraid, you’ll be fine. I’ll be with you in there.” Misty Fly said, draping a wing over her back.”

“I wish all my friends were as nice as you’ve been to me.” Lightning Dust suddenly sighed, tears welling up in her eyes. “I’m still scared…but you’re keeping me from completely losing my mind…”

“Thank you…you’ve been calmer lately. Me and Soarin remember you trying to run, I guess you changed your mind back at the bar…huh?”

“Well…I knew I wouldn’t be able to get past that guy…besides he’s massive. He could’ve grabbed me with his wings and suffocated me…”

“Well, he’s pretty nice deep down. If you talk to him, you can get to know him pretty well.”

“I guess so…anyways…how much time do we have left?”

“Should be soon, Soarin will join us when it’s time.”

“S…Soarin? Well, what are they gonna ask me…?”

“Hm…it’s really just about your Washouts flying group. Whenever an organization or something new pops up, we always request mandatory interviews to make sure they’re not a threat to Equestria.”

“What if I don’t answer a question…?”

“You’ll be fine, trust me. You’re worrying about this way too much.”

“I guess you’re right…” Lightning Dust sighed, looking down at her hooves.

Suddenly, a round of knocking could be heard at the door, before Soarin walked inside. He glanced at Misty Fly before staring directly into Lightning Dust’s eyes.

“Uh oh…” is all Misty Fly heard, before Dust hid behind her wings, cowering in fear.

“Woah! Is she gonna be alright?” Soarin questioned, unsure of how to approach the situation.

“Yeah, she’s gonna be fine…It’s okay Lightning Dust…Soarin’s not gonna hurt you…right Soarin?”

“Right. I would never!” Was his response.

Slowly, Lightning Dust emerged out from the curtain of feathers produced by Misty Fly.

“You….you’re pretty scary looking….uhm…” Is all she could produce from her mouth while avoiding eye contact.

“Well, thanks…Don’t worry, I’m not a monster, I won’t bite.” He said in a playful manner.

Lightning Dust looked at him, slowly working her way up to his face. She reached his eyes, which weren’t as frightening as the ones she’d seen last night.

“There you go…now, your interview is in a few minutes, so we’re going to start walking over there now.”

“A…Are you taking my interview…?”

“Not quite, Spitfire’s gonna be taking your interview.”

Lightning Dust pictured a yellow pegasus in her mind, with a fiery mane starring daggers at her, judging her every movement.

“Sp…Spitfire…right…” she said, chuckling nervously.

“Don’t worry, we’re both going to be with you in the interrogation room. You have nothing to worry about.” Misty Fly informed her.

“She’s not as scary as she looks, you know.” Soarin said with a small grin.

Lightning Dust simply nodded, still trembling at the thought.

“Alright, let’s get to it, then.” Soarin said as he walked to the door and opened it.

Misty Fly tapped Dust with her wing, signaling for her to follow Soarin into the hallway.

As they made their way through the compound, Lightning Dust noticed a number of Wonderbolts walking around, some stopping to stare at her briefly before returning to whatever duties they were completing. As they made their final turn down a narrow corridor, they slowed their pace and stopped in front of a door with no windows on it.

“Here we are…the interrogation room.” Soarin announced.

“Well, are you ready?” Misty Fly asked Lightning Dust.

Before she even got a chance to respond, the door suddenly opened, revealing a yellow pegasus who had an equally colorful mane.

Author's Note:

Two chapters in one day! Hope you guys enjoy. Stay tuned for the interview!