• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 1,215 Views, 7 Comments

Fluttershy's First and Last Nightmare Night - Captain Gamer



A new-to-town Pinkie Pie organizes the Nightmare Night celebration and invites a certain pegasus.

  • ...
0
 7
 1,215

Act 1: Plannie Pie

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Fluttershy’s First (and Last) Nightmare Night

Act 1: Plannie Pie

A cold wind blew through Ponyville. It wasn't an ill omen of darker times to come; it was just Fall. Everypony kept indoors or nice and bundled up. One pony, however, was neither of these things. In fact, this particular prancing pinky pony was rarely seen doing anything "making sense" or "adhering to logic" or "obeying physics." In this instance she was disobeying even her own spontaneity by carrying around a list. She had a good reason for this.

You see, this story takes place some time before a certain lavender unicorn and her baby dragon assistant touched hoof and claw on Ponyville ground. Pinkie Pie still hadn't established herself well enough in town and made it her mission to know every face, name, mane, and cutie mark in and around Ponyville. Least of all just for the satisfaction of being able to tell somepony new that she knows everypony in town. What better way to get ahead in that than to join the committee for that year’s Nightmare Night celebration and pass out invitations? A celebration is a sort of party, right?

Nearing the end of the list, Pinkie knocked on a door which was shortly opened by a mint-coated unicorn. Pinkie stared at her closely, scrutinizing to the point where her eye almost left her head if it focused any harder. After an awkward moment, Pinkie yelped with remembering. "Heartstrings!"

The unicorn chuckled, "Ms. Heartstrings is my mother. Everypony just calls me Lyra."

"Lyra!" Pinkie repeated and quickly took to her list to make adjustments. Upon peeking at the list, Lyra could swear she saw a doodle of an alligator. She was stopped by Pinkie swinging a letter at her. "You are cordially invited!!"

"Invited...?" Lyra took her turn to repeat.

"To the Nightmare Night celebration, silly! I'll bet you're really excited to go, huh? With all the candy, costumes, games, candy, pranks, scares, and sugary treats!"

"I thought you were going to say 'candy' again. Isn't this a public celebration?"

"I know! But now you're CORDIALLY invited!" Pinkie repeated, forming the word very deliberately and slowly with her mouth, "COR-JUH-LEE. Ha ha! That word loses all meaning when you say it like that!"

With Lyra opening the envelope and looking at the lacy card with various splashed of black, orange, and pink, the party pony laid her list down to check off another name. She then frowned at one of the few unchecked names on the list.

"I KNOW I heard about somepony named Flu-tree-spy or something like that!"

Lyra took a look at the list. "Are you talking about that pegasus that's good with animals? I remember a friend of mine leaving her pet and taking the trail out of town almost all the way to the Everfree Forest. There really aren't a lot of ponies offering something like that around these parts."

Pinkie was too busy listening intently to only certain parts, "Path out of town... Everfree Forest... Thank you!" Pinkie stomped the ground and let her list pop up into the air, roll itself up, place itself behind her ear, and hold the pencil inside of it.

Lyra watched Pinkie Pie hop off in astonishment, not sure if that last action should even have been possible by an earth pony.

-

"Ooh..." Pinkie Pie cooed at the treelike house that sat along the Everfree Forest path. Lyra wasn't kidding about the animals. There were coops, sties, nests, burrows and more around the house. Pinkie made a correction on her list after checking the name on the mailbox. "Flu-tter-shy..."

Pinkie weaved her way through the animals to get to the door. The thought that Fluttershy might not even be home hit Pinkie at this time, but she was in too far to not at least try. She knocked on the door and waited. After a good few moments of watching some bunnies play around, she realized she hadn't seen or heard anything from inside the house. Perhaps Fluttershy really WAS not home...

Suddenly, the top half of the door swung out and almost hit Pinkie. The door had been opened by a particularly impatient rabbit that had been using a mumbling pegasus for higher ground. The pink-maned pegasus gave a small whine, “That wasn’t necessary, Angel… I’m sure she heard me just fine… all the way over there.”

Rather than piece it together that this pony - assumedly Fluttershy - had been there that whole time, Pinkie just grinned widely. “Hi!!”

Fluttershy shirked from the sudden greeting. She spared only a single eye from under the pink curtain of her mane. “He… heh… he-llo…”

“I’m Pinkie Pie! Aaand… HERE is your invitation!”

Pinkie flipped the envelope from her saddlebag. Fluttershy squeaked “Oh!” as the envelope bounced off her face and fell to the ground.

“Oops,” Pinkie said sheepishly to the pegasus rubbing her nose, “I probably should have said ‘Think fast.’” Pinkie wasted no time in just picking up the card and showing it. “Nightmare Night is tonight! You’re coming anyway, but now you’re INVITED, Fluttershy! Isn’t that super amazingly awesome?”

Fluttershy kept her head low. Pinkie kept her smile up. It didn’t occur to her that it was anything but encouraging. Fluttershy mumbled her way through a series of awkward sentences before finally muttering out a barely coherent, “Oh, is that tonight? I had no idea…”

“Yepperooni! And now that you know, you’re going to come right? It’s gonna be full of candy and costumes and scary pranks it’s not like you have any appointment because EVERYPONY is going to be there unless you’re one of those artistic types who can do all her work by herself aaalllll alone in her house without any pony contact in which case you HAVE to come because it’s such a change of pace and all the sights and sounds of Nightmare Night will inspire you but if ALL you do is stay inside all day a night and try to pass that off as an active life style then you REALLY need to reevaluate your life WHICH YOU DON’T since you’re an animal type and you go outside and frolic with the wildlife all the time at least that’s what I imagine you doing.”

After all that, Fluttershy’s demeanor, and even the position she held, didn’t change much. She still held her head low and turned halfway away, her mane blocking most of the view of this pony she had just met. The implications of this lack of yielding were lost on Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie grinned wider, “When can I put you down for?”

“Oh… I… don’t know… I never… really…”

Pinkie’s smile softened to a more sympathetic one. “Wow… you really ARE shy. And here I thought it was just part of your name. Well don’t you worry your pretty little head, Fluttershy! Auntie Pinkie Pie will be there to make sure you have a good time and make lots of new friends! Don’t you want more friends?”

“I… um… I guess so… Just… not all at once…”

“Good enough for me! And don’t worry if you can’t come nice and early… I’ll come aaalllll the way out here and BRING you if you’re having trouble attending!” Fluttershy froze in place, wide-eyed. Pinkie Pie took no particular notice. “See you then!”

The pink pony hopped away from the house, leaving the pegasus frozen on the spot, where she would likely remain for several hours.