• Published 3rd Mar 2024
  • 320 Views, 9 Comments

Wedding Bells and Bacos - Mokoma



...and other things that Sunset and Sonata are discussing to add to the reception of their special day! Surely it's all going according to plan?

  • ...
1
 9
 320

Chapter 4 - Wedding Bells and Bacos

The two doves sat with their curious gazes, tilting their heads and blinking as they watched the strange two-legged, clothed creatures frantically walking around the venue. Only when they heard Fluttershy say the word wedding, they understood. The two doves politely nodded at one another and flew off - the only seeds here were those of love, and they weren't considered to be all too nutritious.

Powered by sheer nervousness, Sonata was using her lap as the drumkit for the sickest drum solo of her life. Rarity only wished that the improvised drum-beat that put John Bonham's Moby Dick drum solo to shame didn't happen while she helped adjust the finer laces and details on the gorgeous wedding dress.

"Sonata!" Rarity yelped, seconds before the Siren's desperate search for a drum cymbal would have led her to Rainbow Dash's rump, who stood facing her with her back as she helped Pinkie Pie place cups and glasses on the trays that would be carried to the guests.

"Sorry, sorry!" Sonata blushed. "I-I'm not anxious at all! Cool as a cucumber set on fire!"

"Nonsense, you're looking perfect Darling..." Said Rarity as she applied mild makeup and fine touches to Sonata's gorgeous, flowing white dress - the design of which contained minor nautical themes.

Fluttershy muttered as she helped brush Sonata's hair into a fine, flowing style with slight curls, perfectly fitting some of the shell-like patterns on the dress. "Uhm, Rarity, I think she's worried 'bout more than just the dress."

Sonata turned her head quickly, getting it stuck on the brush. She yelped in pain, and Fluttershy's hand gently guided Sonata to look forward. The siren sighed softly. "I'm not worried at all! Worried? Where do you see worried? A-Ahah, I'm not--...uh...I'm not worried at all..."

The fact she was worried was as clear as a limestone spring. There was however a different factor they were all oblivious to. The true reason.

Sunset closed her eyes and imagined it...That her half of the altar had nobody but her. She was the only one - and it was the mark of the fact that there was nobody. Nobody but her.

Then, there was movement. While Sonata was distracted staring off into space, the other girls looked at one another and nodded. It was time. Fluttershy let go of Sonata's hair, and Rarity finished her adjustments to her dress. They left the room, and Sonata barely realized it.

But when they entered the room...Sonata felt it in her heart. There was a resonance, after all - and the presence of her sisters was unmistakable.

That's why the moment that she felt that sensation run along her spine...She immediately stood up and turned around. "G-Girls!?" She cried out.

"Sonata...Hey..." Adagio hung her head with shame. "There's something that I wanted to say..."

Aria stood stunned, a hand to her mouth. "W-Wow you look amazing..."

"Not that. I-I mean, she's not wrong, but..." Adagio coughed. "Sonata, we're...We're so sorry for everything that we sa--"

"You guys made it! You're here! T-Thank you! I-I was so worried you wouldn't come, I...D-Don't be sorry, you two. I could never be mad at my sisters!" Sonata said, sobbing tears of happiness as she clutched the two Dazzlings close. Though it stung the both of them that they had mistreated such a gentle soul, they also felt happy that they finally reunited, and that their sister never held the grudge that would have terminated their bond.

"We didn't mean to act so stupid, just..." Adagio shivered, carefully using her arm to wipe the snot off her nostrils before it seeped onto Sonata's pristine dress. "...I have so many things I wanna say that can wait until the wedding is over, and it's just that...I...We were really scared that this was the final nail in the coffin. That you were gonna stop being around us once you've found your happiness with--"

Sonata laughed past her joyous tears, a soft and hearty one. "Girls, what gives? I'd never leave you! For realzies! Just 'cause I'm married doesn't mean I'm gonna forget about you! I'm still a Dazzling! What, do you think that once two people get married they get joined at the hip? Cause that'd be really weird and a really bad B-Horror movie. I-I mean c'mon, the whole anatomy horror genre's moved on from that kinda stuff."

"Sonata you precious dork." Aria chuckled. For the first time in a long time, she had a wide smile on her eyes. A genuine one. Not a malicious and evil one as usual. "You...Y-You're gonna keep singing with us, right? You know that I can't get my voice right when you're not singing..."

"You bet!" Sonata smiled wide. "I'm gonna keep singing with you! The only thing might change is that Sunset gets to be on the backstage. That's fine, right?"

Adagio pulled away from the hug. The three sisters held their hands in a circle. The crying was over - now, they looked at one another, inspired and hopeful for their futures. "I'd be willing to have a swarm of wasps in the backstage if it meant you staying with us, Sonata."

"...Hey!" Aria gasped. "H-Hey, y-you're ready, right? We gotta change into our dresses! We...Uh...Hey Sonata, y-you did want us to be your bridesmaids, right? The...the offer's still on the table, ain't it?"

"Y-Yeah!" Sonata gasped. "R-Rarity! Fluttershy! You guys can come out! We've had enough room for our sister reunion! Help two sirens out with getting their dresses on, would ya!?"

***

"Aaaand...Done!" The otherworldly Twilight smiled, having gotten used to having hands against over the short period of time she's already returned through the mirror. "Sunset, you look amazing!" She said with glee and joy, holding up a mirror for the girl.

Sunset blinked more-often to prevent crying. She too was on the verge of joyful tears just by seeing the sight - herself in a white dress. This one was made by Rarity too - and modified to have phoenix-like symbolism, with flames and rose-like patterns hidden deep in the details. It was her special day, and it was here. "Thanks, Twi. And, you too, Twi."

"Don't mention it! And, indeed, you look a-mazing!!" The other, local Twilight adjusted her glasses. "I must say, my fellow doppelganger, your attention to detail is astute! You've applied the Golden Ratio to nearly every part of her appearance! How do you manage to do that without any instruments? It's surely not possible to eyeball the Fibonnaci sequence!?"

"I had no idea I did that!" The other Twilight responded. "But I guess the more heart you put into it rather than estimating it all the time, the better it works?"

The two would have gotten into a long but friendly debate - but that was not the time. Sunset stood and looked at herself in the mirror for a long time. She felt only halfway complete. The only other missing part was the other girl - in a white dress of her own. Oh how much this day excited her, and yet...how much it made her nervous.

"The big day, huh..." The alien Twilight asked, leaning in with a caring smile. "It's a big event, I know...Are you feeling okay?"

"Do you need extra oxygen?" The local Twilight asked, standing side-by-side with her counterpart. "I-I got some oxygen canisters if you'd like! Who knows when the trees ultimately cannot keep up with the constant CO2 emissions, after all!"

"Or if you'd like..." The interloper Twilight proposed. "I got some books to teach how to take care of anxiety attacks?"

"I'm ready..." Sunset smiled, gently furrowing her brows. "Let's get this show on the road." She said, and broke into a grin as she faced the two Twilights. "The biggest catch is waitin' on me at the altar!"

***

Sunset gazed toward her side. There the bridesmaids stood, lined up and smiling - eyes wet with happy tears. Even Rainbow Dash was teary-eyed, who leaned in to use the puffy bit on Applejack's dress's shoulder to wipe her tears...Applejack thought it was endearing, until with an elephant-like noise, Rainbow blew her nose into it, make Applejack quickly swat the other girl on the back of her head. Pinkie couldn't help but chuckle, and her snort was pig-like.

Sunset adored these doofuses.

And Sonata...Although there weren't too many people on her side, she felt immense joy when she saw that shade of orange and purple. Her sisters. They came, and they were here for her - each smiling. Aria and Adagio both nodded at her when they made eye contact. They were proud - and despite the tears in their eyes - they refused to let that make them look in any way unstable. They stood tall and proud for Sonata. They were here for her, after all.

The rows were not full of all-too many guests. The Elements of Harmony sans Twilight sat at the benches, wearing rainbow-colored bracelets on their wrists to avoid confusion in terms of who was from what side of the mirror. They would have felt the experience was more jarring if it wasn't normal for all the whacky things they'd gone through over the years of their friendship.

Though, moments earlier, while none saw, the Pinkie Pies swapped the bracelet, putting things in their proper places. After all, they couldn't pass up the opportunity to split the wedding planning.

As the two brides stood by the altar...They were so focused on looking at the guests and bridesmaids, that they didn't even see who was going to officiate this union.

"Ahem..."

When all turned to see who was at the center of the altar, the officiant.

"Principal Celestia!?" The glasses-wearing Twilight gasped.

"Princess Celestia!?" The otherwordly Twilight gasped.

"Princess." The Celestia smiled. Then, she winked over to Principal Celestia, who sat at the very back of the seats. The Princess wore a garb a little similar to a tunic the kinds of which would be worn by a Greek goddess. The Principal was in the back, pointing finger guns at her dashing twin.

With that, Princess Celestia leaned in to the bridesmaids. Since there weren't too many guests, they had the ability to be flexible. "Y'know, I think you all forgot that every wedding needs an officiant..."

"...Oh!" The bridesmaid Pinkie Pie covered her face in shame. "Sorry, I forgot...I didn't know parties need someone to declare it's a party!"

The girls giggled. Celestia smiled warmly, and pulled back to stand at the podium before the altar. She coughed a little, standing tall and signaling with her eyes towards Sunset. The two girls nodded and regrouped their thoughts. They cupped one another's hands, and looked into each other's eyes.

Princess Celestia cleared her throat. "Family and friends, thank you all for coming today! We've gathered here to celebrate this wonderful moment! Today, we are here to unite two brilliant souls - Sunset Shimmer, and Sonata Dusk. I'd like to preface by saying that I've had the honor of being Sunset Shimmer's teacher. And I think I'd like to address the elephant in the venue..." She smiled, making Fluttershy look around in fear that she had forgotten to send one of her elephant friends back after he'd helped. "...That I also stand here as an alien. But I do believe that since these two are essentially Equestrian citizens, then it's not too peculiar for me to wed them, is it...~?"

"Go on, go on~." Principal Celestia laughed, waving her hand a little and making the guests and bridesmaids laugh and giggle. Smiling back, Princess Celestia continued.

"There was once a turbulent time. For all parties involved. I won't go into details. As they say - if you know, you know. But I want to highlight this - because love is like a stone..."

Maud Pie smiled.

"From one side..." Celestia said. "It may be rough and coarse. But one needs a second look within to see the sparkle of a fine diamond within it. I would like to thank all of you who have come here - for understand the value and importance of second chances, and knowing that even when it seems too late to fix things..." Her eyes briefly gazed at the Dazzlings. "It never is."

Aria and Adagio both blushed and smiled, rubbing their own shoulders.

Celestia giggled, and continued. "I'm proud of all of you. And I am proud of Sunset Shimmer and Sonata Dusk for taking this big step together - with foot or hoof - or whatever other dimension they'd like to hop to next."

Another round of giggles and laughs came. Finally, it was time to get to the point.

"These important steps forward matter because they are done together." Celestia continued. "And I would like to embed this fact into the very stars themselves - that from now on, Sunset Shimmer and Sonata Dusk will make their steps as one, together. Sunset Shimmer..."

Sunset stiffened and blushed.

"Do you take Sonata Dusk as the one with whom you will share your path - to always support her, cherish her, honor her and be by her side until the last petals have fallen and the last roots have withered, so help you Me?"

"I do." Sunset's hands held Sonata's a little tighter.

Princess Celestia's smile rose halfway.

"And you, Sonata Dusk. Do you take Sunset Shimm-"

Sonata was already bouncing, "I do, I do, I do--"

Celestia's smile fell halfway.

The siren blushed and giggled, grounding herself and staying still. "Sorry...!"

Celestia's smile rose halfway. "Do you, Sonata Dusk, take Sunset Shimmer as the one with whom you will share your path - to always support her, cherish her, honor her and be by her side until the last petals have fallen and the last roots have withered, so help you Me?"

"I do!" Sunset bounced up and down again.

Celestia's smile was raised to the fullest.

"Sonata Dusk and Sunset Shimmer, I now pronounce you wife, and wife. You may kiss the bride."

The two white-clad girls leaned in close to one another. But there was no kiss yet. First, Sunset smiled, whispering into Sonata's ear.

"...You know what's gonna happen when our lips press together, right?"

"...Yeah. I'm ready." Sonata snorted softly with laughter.

They knew exactly what they spoke about. It was time to mark today as a great day. They closed their eyes...

Softness met softness, warmth met warmth...The lips met one another.

And confetti met the hair of the two brides - as a barrage of party cannons set up by the two Pinkie Pies shot in tandem with the fireworks set up by Twilight and the rice thrown around by the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who treated the baskets as graduation caps, throwing them into the air and forcing the guest Rainbow Dash to grimace and duck as Scootaloo's basket nearly fell back down upon her.

"I knew double the Pinkie meant double the party cannon." Sunset smiled - though she had little time to speak as Sonata pulled her back for an encore - an even deeper and more intoxicated, adoring kiss.

The cheers were thunderous, the happy sobbing and the clapping drowned out everyone's thoughts. But that didn't matter much. Sonata and Sunset's thoughts were louder and clearer than any other they've had in their lives.

This was the best day of their lives.

***

It had been an hour since the kiss. The time to be sappy and sentimental was over. With two Pinkie Pies at the helm, there was no way that this wasn't going to be a great party. The two groups of identical girls used this as a chance to meet one another, and immediately they began with conversations and challenges - Rarities discussing the differences between four and two-legged designs, Fluttershies discussing animal breeds, Twilights talking science and magic, and the Applejacks and Rainbow Dashes unsurprisingly starting athletic challenges.

None noticed the strange fact that the two Pinkie Pies however did not seem all too surprised to see one another, almost as if there was a sense of familiarity.

Princess and Principal Celestia hung around the back, both drinking punch - though the Principal occasionally added a slightly orange-brown, mysterious liquid into her cup and her counterpart's.

As they continued to mingle and chat, Sunset and Sonata walked before all the guests, happily talking and laughing over the shenanigans they had got over before returning to this world from Equestria...

At some point however, Sunset Shimmer turned around to be faced with...

The two other sirens.

"Sunset Shimmer..." Adagio and Aria stepped closer to the other girl - their eyes narrow and looking into the very core of her heart, almost causing the siren-like features of their eyes more prominent. Sunset squeaked and felt herself about to take a step back.

But then, Aria gave Sunset a playful nudge, and Adagio a playful hip bump. "Do take care of her. She's limited edition." Adagio laughed softly. "C'mon, Aria. Let's see if these "bacon tacos" are all they're cracked up to be."

"Do you think someone's ever unblessed a marriage over bad food at a wedding? Just to weigh the options..." Aria proposed as she followed Adagio.

Adagio shook her head, the two heading out of ear-shot. "...Aria, since Sonata isn't leaving us, you do realize you don't have to be like her, right?"

Sunset smiled warmly. Sonata approached her and hugged her arm, resting one head on her shoulder. Sunset used her other hand to fix her hair, and gently pet her. "This day is the best thing that's ever happened to me, y'know that Sonnie?"

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, Sunny." Sonata giggled, nuzzling her wife's shoulder. Sunset smirked.

"Touche..."

"...You think that other universes got us doing this, though?" Sonata asked, a finger to her lips. "I mean, y'know, the fact we met does feel more like some kinda what-if dimension where someone decided to put us together. What if this is like, a one in a quadrillion universe? 'Cause if that's the case, I'm gonna buy ten lottery tickets tomorrow, okay?"

"Hmm..." The question made Sunset scratch her head, as the two gazed at their friends who happily spent the time together.

"You know what?" Sunset smirked. "I'm sure there's universal constants that can show we're meant to be together. And if I can prove 'em, I'll let you know."