• Published 22nd Jan 2024
  • 174 Views, 2 Comments

Warming Troubles - Bravopotato



Ponies from all around get a odd sort of sickness

  • ...
 2
 174

The Start.

AppleJack gasped as she sat up from her spot in her apple themed bed, she felt a furious heat boil her from the inside and she could hardly think because of how hot she felt. After a moment, though, she calmed and crawled out of bed. She’d been trying to sleep for ages now, however she’d always wake an hour or two later due to the sweltering heat the rest of her family didn’t seem to feel. It was exhausting, boiling alive as she tried to reach a cool slumber. But, she made due by leaving her room and making her way through the family home, eventually exiting the house she loved dearly.

She breathed in the cool night air and stumbled to the back of the house, to the apple orchard. She decided that if she couldn’t sleep, she’d spend her time doing something productive. No use in waiting for the impossible. Well, impossible for tonight.

AppleJack stood near the tree closest to her and looked up at it, seeing the bright red apples under the cool blues of the night sky. She always liked how shiny and pretty her family’s apples were, and how sweet they tasted. The cider they made was like heaven in a sellable bottle. Or maybe that’s just her talking, she’d always been sentimental with her family.

The mare shook her head and turned behind her, her hooves pointing towards the trunk of the firm tree. She then made a firm kick at the bark, grinning as she heard three apples drop onto the grass floor. She put her hooves down from the bark, and then bucked at it again, repeating the process until she’d bucked three times with no apples. She then turned and counted the apples gained from the tree, about seven. She smiled and ran to the barn, forgetting about getting a basket. She dug out two before trotting over to the tree with the fallen apples and settling them all in one basket. It seemed to have filled it nicely, so she just let the woven tool sit to the side of the tree. She’d remember to put it away with the other baskets of apples later. For now, she trotted to the next tree and did the same thing as before, bucking and bucking till nothing came out and then collecting them into her basket. However, the basket wasn’t as full. She didn’t mind, she’d just continue on her way…

She kicked at the trees for hours, filling woven basket after basket with big, red, apples. She only realized how long she’d kicked until the bright ball in the sky decided to show up and paint the once dark blue sky a bright red, orange, and yellow color. AppleJack wouldn’t mind the view, if it wasn’t for how hot her body still felt. She must have energy stuck inside her still, she must have had too boring of a day before hand to use it all. So, despite the sun calling for her to get ready for the day, she just spent the next few minutes bucking at the apple trees. Then, Granny called.

“AppleJack!” She yelled, her old but firm voice flying across the orchard, “Are you there?” AppleJack sighed, and decided it was best not to worry the old mare. She had enough on her plate, poor gal.

“Right ‘ere Granny!” She called, swiftly making her way to the older mare. Granny looked worried, looking her over.

“..AppleJack,” She started, her expression holding a tight worry, “Why are you ‘ere so early? It ain’ even nine.” She said softly, stepping closer to examine AppleJacks eyebags. AppleJack just sighed, looking at the ground.

“Sorry Gran’, I just.. I aint’ sleepin’ like I use ta’. It’s been.. So warm.” She said, feeling a growing headache sprout in her head. “You sure summer didn’ come early?” Granny looked confused, gently feeling AppleJack’s forehead.

“Oh dear..” Her old voice mumbled, a sense of worry sunk itself in AppleJack’s stomach, “It’s just Autumn, and yer foreheads’ burnin’ up enough to heat up the house!” She exclaimed, her worry peaking. “Get inside, go! Get! Don’t ch’ dare come on out feelin’ like that!”

AppleJack sighed and shook her head, “But Granny, the farm-”

Granny scoffed, “Don’t go worryin’ about the farm feelin’ like that! Go inside and stay there till’ ya get better!” AppleJack couldn’t refuse, seeing her grandmother’s wrinkled face twist into one of disturbed horror. Was she really that bad? She hoped not, but she wouldn’t deny that she didn’t feel well at all. She felt ready to drop, but she couldn’t handle the unnerving urge to buck at the trees again. She wanted, no, needed to work. She needed to head out and make a dent in the farm, to collect all the apples they could. They weren’t falling on hard times, but they could easily get darn near it. She didn’t want that to happen, especially not to her poor family. So, she devised a plan; she’d go out at night, and by day she’d act sick and frail (which she wasn’t, but the apple family was stubborn and she wouldn’t convince them easily). It’d be easy, though the fact that she has to sit in her bed all day was troubling. She could feel the urge to buck at something grow in her back hooves, along with a growing boil starting at her cutie mark.

Actually, only one of those two things made sense.. She sat up, her front hooves sat in front of her with her back hooves next to them, and turned to look at one side of her flank. There, she saw the gentle glow of her cutie mark. It wasn’t just red either, but pops of gentle green and a dash of brown could be seen, mixing with the main color. It almost reminded her of Hearth's Warming Eve.. Hearth’s Warming Eve, oh darn! That’s in winter! And she knew no apples would be able to be harvested then! She really needed to get onto that, but how much can she buck in one night? Would her siblings see her missing at night? Would they tell granny?

She shivered at the thought. She dreaded the idea of them forcing her inside, to melt in the sweltering heat of her body.. She wouldn’t be able to think, she’d probably combust! Oh dear.

Author's Note:

Hi! First MLP fic so I hope this is good! This is basically a story based off This Post!! Hope you like it so far! :D