• Published 1st Jan 2024
  • 1,946 Views, 277 Comments

Equestria Ninjas: A New Generation - Wildcard25

  • ...
6
 277
 1,946

Looking Out For You

After escaping Hitch and Sprout, Sunny, the ninjas, and Izzy ran past a Leaving Maretime Bay sign and towards the meadows on the outskirts of town.

“Ha! We made it!” Zanna cheered.

“Those two won't be able to catch up to us now.” Mushroom added.

“Wait a minute!” Sunny interrupted before speaking to Izzy, “You don't have any magic?”

“Nope.” the unicorn confirmed.

“How is that possible?” Lita asked confused.

Sunny just let out a frustrated groan before plopping onto her haunches, “No magic?” she repeated.

“Hey, even we're just as confused.” Zink patted her.

“Oh, but if it makes you feel any better, we did have it,” Izzy spoke up to lighten their spirits, “But that was many, many, manymoons ago. It just—poof!—disappeared. Everypony thinks the pesky pegasi had something to do with it, but…”

“Pesky pegasi?” Zanna asked.

“Yeah, that's right.” Izzy replied before looking back at the still glum Sunny, “Oh! Hey, you look kinda woozy. You okay?”

Sunny got back up with a sigh, “I am on the run with four mutant ninjas and a unicorn with no magic. What are we gonna do?” she suddenly heard a sniffing sound and saw Izzy was sniffing around her as the four sisters looked disturbed.

“Ok, what is that about?” Zink asked.

“Uh, what're you doing?” Sunny asked Izzy.

“You don't smell.” she answered.

“Thanks... Wait, what?”

“Why would you think she smelled?” Lita asked Izzy confused.

“I was told all you earth ponies smell like rotten sardines, but you do not. Hm.” she spotted a butterfly and began following it.

“Rotten sardines?” Mushroom asked incredulously.

“Where did they come up with that?” Zanna wondered.

“What else do unicorns say about earth ponies?” Sunny asked curiously.

“Oh, just that you’re lazy and not the brightest crystals in the forest.” Izzy answered bluntly.

Zanna chuckled only for Zink to nudge her to shut it. Upon hearing this info from Izzy Sunny spoke dryly, “Charming.”

“Nope, just those three.” Izzy replied.

Lita spoke to Sunny, “Seems to me Unicorns have a similar false interpretation of Earth Ponies as the ponies in Maretime Bay have of them.”

“And of the Pegasi as well.” Mushroom added.

“Huh.” Sunny began piecing it together.

“So, Sunny, what's the plan?” Izzy asked wondering what to do now.

Sunny was suddenly hit with an idea, “I got it! Izzy, Lita, girls, we're going on a quest!”

“A quest?” Lita asked.

“To where?” Zink inquired.

“To Zephyr Heights!” the earth pony declared.

She took out her journal from her saddlebag and dropped it to the ground. It opened up to reveal the locations of Maretime Bay, Bridlewood, and Zephyr Heights.

“What's that?” Zanna asked.

“The Pegasus City?” Izzy gasped.

“Yes!” Sunny confirmed, “We need to find out what happened to your magic and bring it back. They have magic. Maybe they can help.”

“Huh. Sounds like a plan, Sunny.” Lita admitted.

“Like we have anywhere else to go.” Zink added.

“To Zephyr Heights!” Zanna declared.

“But the pegasi are bad news.” Izzy warned them with a shudder.

“Are they really?” Mushroom asked. With all the misinterpretations the ponies have had about each other they wondered if the pegasi were just the same.

“What if you’re wrong about them?” Sunny asked, “Earth ponies were wrong about unicorns. They could welcome us with open wings.”

“But what if they don't?” Izzy continued questioning.

The unicorn went to a cliff side and looked out to the hills and mountains in the horizon.


Izzy: Up ahead is a sky growing dark

Where it leads is a big question mark

And I'm scared that I'll end up

A pony gone missing from Pegasus-ing


Lita, her sisters, and Sunny smiled knowing what they had to do as Sunny stepped up along side their new unicorn friend.


Sunny: But you’re not alone

You got a pony in your crew


“I do? Who?” Izzy asked.


Sunny: I'm looking out for you!


Izzy followed her friends down and, as they were trotting through the grasslands the curious unicorn was once again fascinated by a butterfly. She tried following it past the group only for Lita to suddenly stop her in place to reveal Izzy was about to go over a cliff.


Lita: When you’re off track

I got your back

You can rely on me, I’m looking out for you


Sunny led the way as the group were leaping from one rock to another. Zanna balanced funnily on one before Zink bumped her off and onto another making Zanna frown.


Sunny: Back at home it was “earth ponies first”

Heard it so many times I could burst

And I fought for a change

But it’s lonely ’cause, you know, party of uno


Sunny looked down at her reflection in a puddle dismally, until Izzy and the ninjas reflection popped up.


Izzy: Well, if you need

A friendly steed like you-know-who


Sunny: I think I do


Group: I'm looking out for you!


They proceeded along while continuing to keep Izzy on the right track and not distracted by butterflies.


Zink: When you're off track


Mushroom: I got your back


Ninjas: You can rely on me, I'm looking out for you!


The ninjas worked together by getting apples down from a tree and gave Sunny and Izzy one each while the sisters enjoyed one as well.


Sunny: (searching) Lost in the hills!


Izzy: (crouching) I got the skills! Pony, let's get going


Sunny: Get going


Ninjas: Get going


And so the group was galloping/running across several landscapes from a sun-drenched forest, flowering plains where Zanna waved to the same Balloon Pony from Canterlogic that was still drifting off high in the sky, and a grassy stretch under a star-filled night sky.


Group: I'm looking out

[I’m looking out for you]

[I’ll go where you’re going to]

[It’s all that I want to do]

[I am looking out]

Group: For you!

They stopped on a ridge, facing a moonlit mountain whose summit disappears into the cloud cover, “Zephyrs Heights should be over that mountain..” Sunny explained.

“Then let's keep moving.” Lita instructed.

“Yeah! I'm so hyped I don't have to sleep!” Izzy said still excited.

“Come on!” Sunny ordered, as they carried on.

As Izzy trotted up ahead Sunny turned to Lita, “So, Lita, why are you and your sisters here in the first place?”

“We're on a mission.” she answered.

“What kind of mission?”

“Well, I think it's obvious, isn't it?” Lita asked rhetorically.

Sunny gasped, “You came to help me?”

“Got that right.” Zink confirmed.

“But how did you know?”

“You might say we have someone very special watching over us and knows where we're needed.” Mushroom explained.

“I see.” Sunny replied.

Zanna walked closer to her, “Point is, we're here. We found you and Izzy, and now we're gonna uncover the secrets behind the disappearing magic!”

“Just as long we don't hit too many speed bumps.” Zink hoped, as did they all.


Meanwhile that night back in Maretime Bay, Hitch was pacing around as Sprout was at his small desk eating a slice of pizza. Needless to say Hitch was unhappy about what happened today with Sunny. From crashing the Canerlogic Showcase to aiding a unicorn, and four mutant ponies he deemed dangerous.

“I told her. I told her!” Hitch vented, “No more favors, no more bailing her out. She gave me no choice. No choice! All right, we need to arrest her and bring her back to face the full force of the law.

Sprout was about to eat a nice slice but paused upon hearing what his superior said, “Question. When you say “we,” you mean…”

“You and I.” Hitch clarified like it was obvious.

Those words started Sprout as he tried to think of a way out of it, “I-I’d…I’d love to, but, um…” he started smearing pizza around like a dust cloth “…I-I just gotta clean up my workspace,” he knocked a stack of papers to the floor, “Get my papers in order and, um…”

Hitch looked clearly not buying his deputy's excuse before smiling, “You know what? I think you’re right. This one’s a job for Hitch and Hitch only,” he did a toss of the head and gave a gleaming smile. Hearing this Sprout sighed in relief, “All right, Sprout.”

He bucked the door open, as Sprout came around from his desk, “You stay here while I’m out dancing with danger. Keep everypony calm, maintain the peace. (exiting) Be a pillar of strength— (sighing wearily) —who am I kidding? Just try not to start a war while I’m gone, okay?” He failed to pick up on Sprout’s resentful glare as the doors slam shut.

When Sprout was alone he voiced his personal resentment of Hitch to himself, “Oh, everypony loooovesHitch! What does he have anyway?”

Sprout walked to a wall calendar with Hitch's image for the month and began ripping the pages off where each one depicted Hitch with the same pose but wearing different outfits from police officer, firefighter, construction worker, and sailor.

“Sure, he’s got a perfect mane, shredded abs, paid-off mortgage… so what? I’ve got stuff. I can do…um…things,” he pulled the calendar down, “Like that!” he closed an open file cabinet drawer, “And that!” Unfortunately another one immediately opened and he bucked it closed, “And that!”

The first one opened again making him let out a frustrated snarl and is about to put hooves to it when a visibly flustered Phyllis barges into the office.

“Where’s Hitch? Ponies all over town are terrified! They want answers!” she said in worry.

“He went after Sunny. Another solo Hitch mission.” Sprout answered sourly pretending he wasn't previously requested to join and tried to get out of it.

Phyllis seeing her son distressed lifted his chin up, “Sugarcube, why the Sprout Pout? That's great news.”

“It is?”

“Yes! It means that you are the Sheriff—at least for now.” his mother explained before she picked up a brass replica of Hitch's badge that was attached to the calendar before Sprout pulled it down. She placed the fake on her son's sash.

Hearing his mothers words gave Sprout a moment of clarity realizing what this meant for him, “I am!” he started acting like Hitch, “Hey there. The name’s Sprout. Sheriff Sprout. What’s the problem, filly? Don’t worry, Sheriff Sprout is here,” he pointed fiercely, “Pick up that litter! Sheriff's Sprout's orders!”

Both mother and son smile approvingly at one another, as the cocky red earth pony was going to exploit his new temporary stand in power and was going to revel in it.