• Published 13th Dec 2023
  • 1,433 Views, 51 Comments

Like Mother Like Daughter - I Vicious I



After Sunset is left with no family to take her in, Celestia decides to take in the young and extremely gifted mare as an adopted daughter

  • ...
6
 51
 1,433

Sentimental

The bedroom was bathed in the warm hues of the setting sun, casting a golden glow across the room. Sunset Shimmer was perched on an elegant four-poster bed with intricate carvings, the rich, deep red of the bedspread contrasted with the golden oak of the furniture. Soft, sheer curtains billowed gently in the evening breeze from the open window which revealed a breathtaking view of the castle grounds, where the last rays of sunlight danced on the mountainside.

The scratching of Sunset Shimmer's pen on paper provided a rhythmic undertone to the room. A distant hum of activity from the castle courtyard reached through the window, accompanied by the occasional trill of birds as they settled in for the night.

Sunset’s hoof glided smoothly over the pages of her notebook, the paper was crisp and textured beneath her touch. She examined her work, and looked back and forth between a book containing an archaic language and her drawing of the silver mirror as she struggled to get a better grasp on the ancient artifact.

The entrance of Celestia, marked by the subtle creak of the door, contributed a nuanced element to the tranquil atmosphere as her hooves clicked along the marble floor. Sunset quickly tucked her notebook into a pile of papers, hiding it from Celestia.

It proved to be a fruitless attempt. From the corner of her eye, Celestia caught sight of a vividly drawn picture of the silver mirror on a nearby notebook. Advanced arcane symbols intricately wrapped around the image on the page. As Celestia tried to decipher them, the notebook was swiftly hidden under a pile of papers by Sunset. Though she concealed it properly now, it was too late to evade the watchful eyes of Celestia.

"I can certainly arrange for you to move to a larger and more comfortable bedroom, or even one closer to mine," Celestia said, infusing warmth into her voice.

Sunset smiled appreciatively at the generous offer but gently shook her head. "The room holds sentimental value for me; after all, it's the first gift you ever gave me, Mom." She gave a toothy grin. "before you ask, school is going fine," her grin widened. "You probably already know that, considering you grade a lot of the papers yourself."

Celestia nodded. "I'm glad to hear you're managing well academically. What I wanted to discuss, though, is whether you've had the chance to connect with any of your classmates." Sunset lingered in silence for a brief moment before finally breaking it. "Honestly, I'm not keen on getting too close to any of them," she said softly, her words leaving a weight on Celestia's mind.

Celestia looked at Sunset with surprise. “Why are you so hesitant to try and make friends?”

Sunset nervously rubbed her hooves together, her gaze fixed on the blank page of her notebook beside her. Reluctantly, her mind drew a vivid image of a painful memory, each recollection weaving delicate threads into the fabric of her past. Bathed in the amber glow of the setting sun, she navigated the corridors of time, retracing the steps that led to the heartache she now grappled with. The weight of emotion lingered in the air, as she endeavored to capture the essence of that haunting moment etched into the recesses of her mind with each thought.


A young Sunset played gleefully with another unicorn filly, Goss Mirage. Goss's teal coat and mane contrasted starkly with the castle halfway, adorned in saturated blues and dark reds. The energetic young Sunset badgered the solemn and seemingly bored Goss to keep playing. "Do you want to play hide and seek again, or maybe we could sneak into my mom’s room with the big chair!" The other filly shook her head, disinterested in any further games. “I know we can fly around the castle!” said sunset as she focused. With a hum of magic, Sunset levitated Goss and herself a few hooves off the stone floor.

Goss kicked her legs frantically. “Sunset, let me down!” she shouted, the urgency in her voice echoing through the air. The once joyful smile faded from Sunset’s face, her expression turning serious as they gently descended, the sensation of the descent palpable as their hooves met the ground.

"I'm sorry, Goss. Did I hurt you?" Sunset's voice held genuine concern, a soft undercurrent of worry weaving through her words.

Goss shot Sunset an angry look. “Your magic is really strange; don’t do something like that again.” she demanded. Sunset sat down and rubbed her hooves together, her eyes fixated on the ground, a mixture of confusion and remorse etched across her features. “I really need to go; my mom wanted me home before your mom lowers the sun,” Goss said as she sat up, and swiftly trotted away in search of her mother. The fading echoes of her hoofsteps resonated in the air, leaving Sunset to contemplate the unexpected turn of events.

Sunset, ever oblivious, waved goodbye, but the other filly didn't reciprocate the gesture. Then, like a sudden revelation, Sunset noticed that Goss had forgotten her doll! It leaned against the side of the wall, its presence a silent witness to her oversight. Determined to make amends, Sunset swiftly grabbed it with her magic, a faint hum accompanying the gesture, and she darted after the filly, the urgency of her hoofsteps against the stone echoed through the corridor.

She rounded a corner, the toy clasped in her magical grip, when she heard the other filly speak. "I don't want to visit her again," said Goss. Sunset paused, a hushed breath escaped her lips, as stepped back around the corner, out of sight but still well within earshot. The weight of those unexpected words hung in the air, and stirred a mix of curiosity and concern within Sunset.

The mother spoke sternly to her. “She's Celestia's daughter; I had to go through a lot of trouble to set up a playdate between you two. You will become friends with her; it will be in your, or rather in our interest, to form a relationship with her," her face twisting in anger. The intensity of her words hung in the air, creating a tense atmosphere that added weight to the expectations placed upon the young filly.

Goss pouted. "I don't want to be around her; she's weird," she said in a whiny tone, the discontent evident in the slight quiver of her voice.

Sunset dropped the doll on the floor with a hushed phoomph. She fought back tears, the unshed emotions lingering in the air yielding to the fear of being discovered. The mare's frustration manifested audibly as she raised her voice. "Ok, then let me be more clear; you're going to be friends with her whether you like it or not," she spat, her face stern and immovable. Goss, grappling with conflicting emotions, tried to muster the strength to protest, but upon seeing her mother's unwavering expression, bowed her head. "Fine, I'll be friends with her if I have to," she conceded, her defeated tone resonating with a sense of resignation.

Sunset rushed back to her room, where she found Celestia sitting on the large bed, patiently waiting for her. Before Celestia could inquire about what was wrong, Sunset quickly interrupted, diving into her lap. Her loud cries were muffled as she buried her face into the chest of the large Alicorn. Uncertain of what to do, Celestia instinctively began rubbing Sunset's back, the comforting motion accompanied by gentle, calming shushing noises.


In the present day Celestia found herself embraced by a young mare, Sunset, who wrapped her legs around Celestia's large torso. Although Sunset didn't cry, the numb desperation in her expression conveyed everything Celestia needed to know. "It will be okay, honey, I promise," Celestia assured, her soothing words accompanied by the gentle motion of her hoof rubbing along Sunset’s back. Uncertain of the root cause of Sunset's distress, Celestia offered comfort in the absence of clear understanding.