• Published 22nd Nov 2023
  • 98 Views, 4 Comments

Scattered Tales - App Stories from Ponyville Ciderfest! - MidnightConcerto



A collection of app stories created by myself, for the interactive weekend at Ponyville Ciderfest 2023!

  • ...
 4
 98

#DapperCapper - A More Dapper Capper

A More Dapper Capper

CodeWord: #DapperCapper

With all the commotion happening recently, the Equestrian Mail Service has seen a spike in letters and packages being sent across the country, as ponies intend to hunker down until the trouble with the Pages has passed by. They’ve sent out a call for temporary volunteers to help them meet the demand and catch up on their backlog. With little else to do, you decide to hop in and help out for just a few hours. You and the other ponies and creatures slowly sort through the seemingly endless pile of mail, one piece at a time. Several of the letters look creased and bent, a clear sign that expediency is outweighing care.

One large package, in particular, seems to have been handled a bit… overzealously, and the box is crushed, practically destroyed. Opening it up to check the contents, you see it’s filled with various fabrics, cloth, colored threads, and several upscale-looking coats. A male Abyssinian next to you leans over your shoulder and whistles.

“Well now, if that isn’t just a charming and classy collection of colorful coats and cloth.” He offers you his paw to shake, a broad smile across his face. “Capper’s the name, and fine adornments are most certainly a part of my game. Now then, where is this bountiful box of beauty going, [USERNAME]?”

Turning the remains of the box around in your grip, you can’t seem to spot anything that’s still legible along the outside. Whatever writing or postage that had been attached was long distorted or lost in its transit and mishandling. You mention this to Capper, and ask if there’s any way to find out who was supposed to receive the box. The two of you push through the contents for a moment to look for anything identifying, and he pulls out a beautiful red coat that seems almost perfectly tailored to fit him, despite his tall form. You look at him with a raised eyebrow, not even needing to voice the question on your mind.

He shifts uncomfortably for a moment, avoiding your gaze entirely. “Well, I may have some idea which promising pastel pony these garments were meant for, but who would blame us for holding onto it? We can’t exactly send it with confidence without an address now, can we? I would be absolutely devastated to make such a mistake with shipping these grand garments.” He combs through the remaining pieces, pulling one out that looks to be about your size, give or take a few inches in the length. “And I do believe we would look like quite the dapper duo with these divine dress clothes adorned. Wouldn’t you agree, my fine friend?” Capper looks at you with that broad, playful grin, waiting for your response.

[CHOICE] What do you do?

>Ask a bit more firmly if you two can find out where to send it. (Hero)

>Agree with him; after all, you would look dapper. (Villain)

[ENDING A: HERO]

You point out that one of the coats is exactly his size, which seems a bit suspicious for a random package. He sighs, seemingly unwilling to argue.

“The only pony who would make something like this as a gift for me would be Miss Rarity. I’m sure all of these are for her work on dresses for the upcoming ceremony. I happen to know her address from the letters she writes.” Together you find a new box and gently repack the materials.

“You know,” he says quietly as you work, “I may have promised to stop being a thief, but… I can’t lie that the thrill sometimes calls to me.” He shoots you an apologetic smile. “Thanks for keepin’ me on the straight and narrow, [USERNAME].”

(+1 Page for Heroes)

[ENDING B: VILLAIN]

Turning the idea over in your head, you nod slowly. “I guess without an address, there’s nothing we can do with it anyway. And it is getting cold out.” Each of you pulls out a coat and dons it, placing the remaining contents into a Lost and Found for someone else to deal with on their own time. Sure, it may add up to the already-backlogged system, but somepony will figure it out or come searching for their property… eventually.

And you must admit, the two of you do look quite dapper.

(+1 Page for Villains)