• Published 27th Nov 2023
  • 196 Views, 3 Comments

The Beauty of the Rock - ItsMrCapey



Hearts and hooves day… a splendid day for all.. yet, why was she alone?

  • ...
0
 3
 196

A Long Ride.

Rarity could feel the awkward tension in the air. It was just too hard for her to just ignore the earth pony next to her.

Rarity glances over at Maud who just looked out of the window with her usual deadpan expression. She gently laid a hoof on Maud’s shoulder, causing the gray earth pony to look over at her with a slow blink.

“Maud. I.. I know it’s hard to go through a break up, darling.. But, I want you to know; I’m here for you..”

Maud gave a sigh, knowing Rarity was right. Rarity had seen and experienced break ups in her life. Rarity could remember when she had heard that Octavia broke up with her longterm special somepony, Frederick Horseshoepin and how much it affected her before she moved on to Vinyl.

Rarity gave a sigh, turning away from Maud, thinking she had failed to get her to open up about her current emotions until…

“Have you ever felt this feeling?”

Rarity shot up when she heard the question and turned back to the earth pony. “I… I have..”

That made Maud tilt her head before Rarity continued on with her messy love life.

“Well, I’ve had a few special someponies and crushes here and there. There was this one stallion at Canterlot; Princess Celestia’s nephew, Prince Blueblood. I had feelings towards him and chose to pursue him when me and the girls went to the Gala.”

Princess Celestia had a nephew? Since when? Did Maud meet this prince at the last gala? She couldn’t recall meeting a stallion who was dubbed ‘Prince Blueblood’.

Rarity went on to tell about her experience with the prince. “He was the most selfish, most arrogant stallion I’ve ever met! He had ruined the gala for me!” Rarity complained, scowling at the mere thought of that wretched stallion.

“I first thought when I had met him that he would be as charming as a prince would be but.. I was wrong. The selfish fool awarded himself with the rose and claimed it went with his eyes. Demanded that I pay for some appetisers from Applejack’s cart. Took a seat for himself. Stole my cloak to cover a puddle so he wouldn’t get wet and used me as a shield from an incoming cake!”

When Rarity was finished on her rant, Maud remained deadpan but then spoke again..

“Stallions like that are not worthy.”

Had Rarity heard right? Maud really did speak ill of the ‘prince’. It was… surreal.

“After the Gala ended, I started reading magazines and caught sight of a stellar unicorn stallion. His name is Trenderhoof and I had an absolute crush on that one!”

Trenderhoof. The stallion with an eye for design and also a travelling writer. How did this go wrong?

Before Maud could ask, Rarity started to speak about Trenderhoof but with less malice than she had when she ranted about Prince Blueblood.

“My crush on Trenderhoof was as obsessive as a fan would have a crush on Hoity Toity or any celebrity. When he came to Ponyville for the Ponyville Days Festival; I was over the moon to be his tour guide. I really believed me and him would fall in love but to my heartbreak; he fell for Applejack.”

Maud’s eyes widen for a moment before they returned to their usual lidded position. Applejack? The orange earth pony who is claimed to be related to Maud and the rest of the Pie Family.

“Trenderhoof liked Applejack?” Maud questioned with an eyebrow raised.

Rarity nodded, confirming her question. “He was absolutely taken by her. When I saw how he looked at Applejack; I was driven absolute mad by the fantasy of me and Trenderhoof being together.. so.. I started to dress and act like Applejack.”

Maud tilted her head and asked the white unicorn, “You… started to do farm work?”

Rarity gave a brief blush from embarrassment when she tried to replicate Applejack’s work and mannerisms. “That I did. It even turned into Applejack acting like me. You know; clean, fashionable and very high society?”

Maud nodded, understanding the unfortunate situation Rarity dug herself into.

“After that fiasco, I’ve gotten over Trenderhoof. It made me realise that friends will always be there for you. Through the good and through the bad.”

Was the friendship between Rarity and Applejack REALLY that strong to overcome an obstacle like that? Yes. Yes, it was.

Rarity sighed gently, before she started to speak again. “As for special somponies; I’ve… had a few. I used to have relations with a Pegasus stallion. His name was Thunderlane and I will admit, he was a very caring stallion. When he saved me from falling, I gave him a hug and he invited me to go a Wonderbolt show. But unfortunately.. due to errors with communication, long distance and a not really seeing each other very often, we decided to break up. I don’t hold any ill feelings towards him. In fact; he’s found himself a new special somepony in Cloud Chaser.”

Well.. that story had a happy ending. It was unfortunate but at least it ended on a happy note.

Rarity smile disappeared as she recounts her next love. “When I went to Canterlot to open ‘Canterlot Carousel’, I’ve found myself having a Summer romance..”

Maud seemed interested, judging by her hoof supporting her cheek. “What happened to that pony?”

Rarity soon gave her answer after a brief pause. “He was a unicorn stallion with a cutie mark of a moon. His name was Dark Moon and I originally caught a brief of him at Shining Amour and Princess Cadence’s wedding but I didn’t think much of him back then. He was very charming to me at first. He gave me roses, called me the most beautiful pony he’s ever seen and also; he used to take me out to restaurants. But atlas; disaster struck.”

Maud lifted her hoof to try and protest against Rarity hurting herself with recovering a memory like that but Rarity chose to go on with her tale. “When I was on my way to the Canterlot Train station; I saw him there. I assumed he was waiting for me so I started to walk over to him. But.. fate had different plans for the two of us. I saw another mare trot over to him and kiss his cheek.. he had a different mare in his life other than me.”

Rarity gave a forlorn sigh and looked at the floor beneath her, a tear beginning to form in her sapphire orbs.

Maud did admittedly feel bad for Rarity despite not showing it.

“I really believed he loved me.. I was a fool. A stupid fool.” Rarity’s tear found its way out of her tear duct and started to gently run down her cheek. Maud laid a hoof on Rarity’s shoulder and said.. “He missed out. You’re not a fool for believing his deception.”

Rarity flutters her eyes in surprise, Maud was comforting her? What a pleasant turn of events. “You.. don’t think I’m the fool?”

In response to Rarity’s inquiry, Maud shook her head, rejecting the thought of Rarity being the fool in this scenario. “He didn’t see what you had to offer. If he went off with another pony behind your back, he’s not worth your time and energy.”

That was very sweet of somepony like Maud Pie to say. She had never heard such a phrase come out of Maud’s mouth when it came to romance. Normally; Maud would defend Pinkie Pie and come to her aid but this is different. It’s nice to hear that once in a while.”

“I’m glad you don’t think I’m a fool for his infidelity.” Rarity wiped her tear away and looked back at the mare next to her with a sad smile. “Unfortunately; it has caused issues when regarding future romances. Because what if it happened again?”

Maud didn’t know what to say for a brief moment until.. she spoke again.. “If someone cheated on their special somepony, it’s not the unknowing pony’s fault or responsibility to clean up after their partner’s mess. They don’t deserve to be hurt and betrayed.”

Rarity smile returned and sighed softly in relief. “I guess I’ll have to find out when I find that perfect pony.”

Maud nodded, knowing it was her turn to talk. “I’ve had a few crushes before Mudbriar.”

Maud had a crush on somepony before Mudbriar? Did Pinkie not know? Who was this pony? Somepony Rarity knew? So many questions.

“If you want to talk about them.. what were they like, darling?”

Maud looked at the floor beneath as she thought of her first ever crush. “You won’t believe me when I say; it was Moonlight Raven.”

Moonlight Raven? The gothic unicorn from Manehattan who came with that smiley unicorn, Sunshine Smiles?

“Oh! She came to the ‘Rarity for You’ boutique in Manehattan! She was a bit to a quiet one but I will admit; she was pretty. So was Sunshine Smiles!”

Maud recounted her memories of Moonlight Raven, giving a momentarily smile before it left after a second. “When I came here with you and Pinkie, I saw her walking down the street. I was immediately taken by her. I really thought she was beautiful. Something about her made me happy on the inside. I would’ve walked over and said hello to her but.. something deep inside of me was unable to.”

When Rarity heard of Maud calling somepony beautiful, she had her hoof laying on her chest as a way to say ‘oh bless you..’

“Crushes are like that, darling. Confusing but fun to have.”

Maud nodded and moved on from her first crush on Moonlight Raven to her next infatuation. “The next crush I had was on a stallion called ‘Funnel Web’. I decided that; this time I would be try to at least talk to him. When I did, he wasn’t that interested in me. I’ve accepted that now since I’ve moved in from Funnel Web but at the time, it did hurt.”

Wow… it seemed as if Maud and Rarity both had unfortunate experiences with love and crushes. When Rarity went to respond; the train came to a halt and the whistles wailed. She gave a look out of the window, she saw that they she finally reached their destination; Manehattan.

Maud too looked out of the window and saw the city. “We’re here.”

Rarity nodded and got up, watching Maud get up too and followed Rarity off the train. “Maud, I.. I’m very sorry about Funnel Web and Moonlight Raven.”

Maud looked over at Rarity with her usual deadpan exterior and nods appreciatively. “Thank you. I too don’t hold ill feelings toward either of them.”

When they stepped off the locomotive, Rarity gave a sigh when she saw the beautiful city of Manehattan again! Maybe she could drop in and see how Rarity for you is doing? No, no… She had a job from Pinkie and she was going to stick by it.

“Why don’t we go get some lunch before we go look around, Maud dear?”

The gray earth pony gave a thought and nodded. “Okay. How about we go to the restaurant from last time?”

Rarity nodded, smiling brightly at the idea. “We shall indeed! Like I promised before; I am going to make you have a splendid day today! Just you wait and see.”

Author's Note:

Aaahhh, here it is! The second chapter of the slowburn RariMaud story! Next chapter will definitely be longer, so keep an eye out for that one! Hope you enjoyed the newest chapter! <3