• Published 12th Nov 2023
  • 818 Views, 15 Comments

Spider-Man - Book 1: Power & Responsibility - Triple B Studios



A young man named Peter Parker gets bitten by a radioactive spider. He gained spider-like abilities he never thought he would have. This is a story of how he became Spider-Man and how he became New York’s world’s greatest hero.

  • ...
4
 15
 818

Chapter 2: Big Change

Peter Parker awoke with a start and a gasp, eyes flying open. It wasn’t until the second breath in that he noticed he was back in his bedroom. He blinked at the ceiling above him, his chest rose and fell quickly as the last traces of panic faded from his system. The familiar darkness around him didn't help ease any of the tension. He rolled over and stared at the window on his right side. Strips of sunlight filtered through the blinds, illuminating Peter's floor from beneath. With a groan he pushed himself up and swung his legs off the bed, swinging them onto the cool wooden planks of the floorboards below him. Holding his head in his hands, Peter took a steadying breath.

His heart beat erratically in his chest, but his pulse seemed to slow with each passing moment. His breathing slowed and evened out after just a couple moments, the adrenaline rush fading. In the quiet silence his mind began to clear.

Peter closed his eyes and rubbed his temples, feeling the tension gradually seep away. It wasn't as bad this time. The nightmares had been frequent lately--not so vivid anymore, just enough that he could feel the phantom pressure of a spider's fangs piercing down around his throat. And he hated it.

Wait a minute…the spider.

Peter stood upright abruptly, his mind racing again. He brought his right hand up to his view where the puncture wound remained. He looked down at the spot where the spider had bitten him before. The punctures were gone, as if he hadn’t been bitten at all.

Peter sighed and ran a hand through his hair as he made his way into the bathroom, closing the door behind him and flipping the lights on. The lights illuminated the room, making everything look sharper and brighter than it really was. Peter glanced at himself in the mirror. Besides the bandages folded over his shoulder and neck he looked fine. But the memory of what had happened lingered. He still remembered how terrified he'd felt when the spider bit him; that was no small thing, especially considering that he hadn't known what or why it was doing there.

That had been one hell of an experience—Peter shuddered just thinking about it. He reached up and grabbed the washcloth hanging in the sink, using his free hand to turn the faucet handle up to the warmest setting. He wet the cloth and began washing his face. Wiping the dirt off his cheeks and chin, Peter set the washcloth aside on the counter. As he rinsed his mouth out Peter turned and looked at his reflection in the mirror once more.

He frowned a little when his nostrils wrinkled at the smell coming from him. He raised his arm and sniffed at the sleeve of his sweatshirt before immediately recoiling with a cringe. He grimaced in disgust, dropping his arm to his side. He smelled terrible; the sweat on his skin was sticking uncomfortably to his body, leaving a gross odor clinging to him. His shirt must have reeked. He needs a shower.

Bringing his hands down to grab the hem of his shirt he slipped it off over his head, throwing it across the bathroom doorway. Before he could reach for his pant’s however, his hands stopped mid reach and saw something odd in his reflection.

“Woah…” he breathed out, taking in the details of the new image presented before him.

As far as Peter knew he had always been a thin man; he certainly wasn’t muscular. However, he did know he was short; if someone walked past him they would surely notice that fact. Yet instead of being met with the sight of his normal skinny build, he found that the person standing before him was actually quite tall. His arms were strong looking, but not excessively brawny. In fact, it looked like those arms should belong to a gymnast. Even his legs seemed toned and well formed. But what captivated Peter most of all, was his six pack—six perfect abs, in fact.

Peter traces his finger along the hard line of one of them, his mouth falling slightly agape at the view. Peter swallowed nervously, suddenly hyper-aware of his own physique. My muscles looked strong too, he thought absentmindedly. But where did all this muscle come from? Peter lifted his other arm, examining the contour of his biceps and forearms, the flex of his tricep.

“Where did all this come from?” Peter muttered under his breath, still staring at his hands. He balled both of them into fists experimentally, watching as the veins in the palms flexed and bulged against his fingers.

A knock at the door pulled Peter from his reverie, breaking the strange trance he’d fallen into.

“Peter! Are you alright?” May called.

Peter blinked rapidly. He looked back at himself in the mirror and slowly nodded. “Um…I’m fine.”

“Any better this morning? Any change?” May asked, concern evident in her voice.

Peter smiled sheepishly at his own reflection.

“Change?” He looked down at his muscled torso and nodded his head with a smile. “Yup. Big change.”

“Well, don’t stay in the shower for too long. You’re gonna be late for school.”

Peter nodded his head. “Right.”

After a few minutes in the shower, Peter rummaged through his wardrobe and chose to wear a pair of black jeans and a gray turtleneck sweater. His hair was already starting to dry and frizz though, so he brushed it out to make sure nothing stuck. After pulling his shoes on, he checked his phone. No texts from Harry yet. That’s probably good. It would be better to just talk to him at school. Peter shrugged and pocketed his scroll. He grabbed his backpack and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

Uncle Ben was sitting at the table reading the newspaper, dressed as usual in the same clothing he wore yesterday. Pulling away from said newspaper, he turned his gaze towards Peter and smiled.

“Hey, you lookin’ better today.” Uncle Ben greeted as Peter approached.

Peter grinned. “Yeah, never better.”

“Well, thank god. You really had me worried, dear.” May said over her shoulder, her tone one of worry as well as her expression while looking at Peter.

Peter rubbed the nape with his hand. “I’m sorry I’ve made you worry.”

Uncle Ben blinked and pointed at his nephew.

"Hey, you're not wearing your glasses." Uncle Ben remarked surprisingly.

Peter blinked. He brought his hand up to his face.

"Oh, really? Heh, heh, I guess I must've left 'em in my room." Peter chuckled awkwardly.

May smiled at Peter, then motioned towards the bag sitting on the table’s center.

“I’ve already made your lunch.” She explained.

“Thanks.” Peter said, smiling as he moved towards the bag. He peeked inside to find a well-made sandwich inside a plastic container with his name written elegantly in cursive script on top.

Peter unzipped the back pocket of his backpack and shoved his bag inside before zipping it back up. Throwing both arms through the straps one at a time, he starts towards the main door. However, before he could grab the nob, he heard his Uncle call him from behind.

“Hold up a second kiddo,” he says. “I’ll take you to school.”

Peter turned to look at his uncle, puzzled. “Oh, you don’t have to. I’ll just take a Bus.”

Uncle Ben waved his hand dismissively.

“No, no, no, I insist.” He stood up from his chair and walked over to May. Placing both palms on her shoulders and smiles. “I’ll be back soon, hunny. I love you.”

May returned her husband’s affectionate smile.

“Love you too.” She said softly, leaning up on her toes to peck his cheek. Then she turned to face Peter. “Have a nice day, sweetie.”

“Later.” Peter said quietly and gave his aunt a quick hug, then walked out the door with Ben close behind.

Peter entered Uncle Ben’s car, buckling his seat belt as he waited for his uncle to buckle his. He glanced at the window next to him, noticing the car had started up and began moving forward. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the headrest, humming slightly to himself as he focused on his thoughts of how he was feeling in regards to yesterday’s incident.

He can still remember the moment vividly whenever he closed his eyes or tried to forget about it; the spider’s hot fangs piercing through the tender flesh of his hand, hot blood dripping down from his wound and flowing freely down between his fingers. The memory is etched into every inch of his brain; he didn’t need to open his eyes to remember every detail.

Peter shook his head, trying to rid himself of the remnants of the horrible memory. He decided to distract himself with thoughts of his childhood, where the streets of queens had been his true home. Both of his parents were white; his mother, a nurse, and his father, a scientist. He inherited his father’s skin, hair, and eyes. But he also carried his mother’s heart; she was gentle, kind, intelligent, and brave.

Physical science was in Peter’s blood. He didn’t care about sports nor did he have any interest in it. He spent his time in the labs where his father resides, inventing and tinkering, learning to find the right way around a problem, to solve it, to fix it, or even to improve upon it—whatever it took it had to work.

He remembered his father as being an intelligent man. His mother was kind and loving, yet passionate about helping people. Her passion had driven her to become a nurse. She loved children, and would treat every child be it toddler or teen as if they were her own. Peter was lucky enough to have his father as a role model during his childhood. His constant encouragement of his intellectual curiosity, and love for the natural world motivated Peter.

For a brief moment Peter frowned. Both of his parents died in a plane crash due to an engine failure while traveling. The tragedy was still fresh in his mind. Peter felt sad remembering the incident. He had learned from such a young age that death comes to everyone, sooner or later. But Peter never forgot his parents. God, no. He never stopped missing them.

Peter glanced at the window. Memories flashed through his mind again: he and his childhood friend, Eddie Brock, playing arcade games together, laughing at stupid things, and reading comic books. They shared many laughs and always got along with each other perfectly. Peter’s heart warmed when he thought about those memories. But then it got warmer when he and Jaune reunited again years later, which still shocks him of how tall he grew.

A small chuckle slipped through Peter’s lips. It never failed to amaze him the first time he met Eddies’ sisters. There were seven of the girls in total. He could still hear their giggles as they played dress up with Eddie, forcing him into wearing many princess outfits and putting on make-up. His lips pulled into a smirk and he shook his head. He couldn’t imagine a worse embarrassment than being forced to play dress up. He knew there was no salvation from Eddies’ playful sisters; it was bound to happen. Thinking back at that time, Eddie had to put up with his sisters on how affectionately they were with him.

Well, he’s lucky to have siblings, Peter thought.

“Peter?” Asked Uncle Ben curiously while driving.

“Huh?” Replied Peter, snapping back into reality. “Yeah, Uncle Ben?”

“What were you chuckling about?” Uncle Ben inquired, looking at him curiously.

“Oh, nothing. Just remembering some past events.” Peter said casually with another shrug. He wasn’t lying.

Peter’s Uncle nodded at his answer.

“Alright.” Uncle Ben’s eyes grew large before letting out a sigh and palming his forehead. “Oh goodness gracious..”

Peter glanced at his Uncle and frowned. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

“I forgot to buy the bananas, eggs, and apples for your aunt.” Uncle Ben gripped the steering wheel and exhaled slowly. “Okay.”

Upon reaching their destination, Ben immediately parked the car outside of the school building.

"We're here!" Ben announced, turning his gaze to his nephew and pat his palm onto his shoulder. “Just like last time, I’ll pick you up after school. Okay?”

Peter nodded, twisting his torso and opened the door. Hopping out of the car while stretching his legs. His backpack strapped to his right shoulder blade. He closed the door behind him before turning to meet his uncle's gaze.

Ben smiled warmly at him and gave his nephew a thumbs up before putting the car in reverse and driving away. Peter watched the vehicle get smaller until it disappeared from view.

He turned to face the school and started towards the main entrance. Once he stepped inside, he looked around. The long halls from both sides were filled with an ocean of students milling about and talking amongst themselves. He saw several faces that he recognized, but not all. Students greeted each other and exchanged small talk, chattering about what they wanted to do after class. A trio of girls passed by him walking forward while giggling amongst themselves.

Peter continued to scan the crowd for familiar faces. When he finally spotted one, a small smile formed his lips.

Harry Osborn.

He was chatting away animatedly with a girl who had red hair tied into two pigtails.

Peter approached the pair and tapped Harry’s shoulder. The boy turned around and smiled when he saw Peter.

"Hey, Pete." He greeted him, placing his left hand into the pocket of his jeans while holding his right hand up for a high five.

"Hey, Harry." Peter returned, returning Harry’s high-five. Harry turned his gaze towards the girl with pig-tails.

“Hey, I’ll see you after class. Alright?”

The pig-tail redhead girl nodded her head. Harry and Peter walked together down the corridor. Passing by students going in other directions.

“So, Pete. You uh, feeling better from yesterday?” Harry asked as he eyed Peter carefully. His eyebrows furrowed a bit as his mouth opened and shut a couple times.

Peter nodded. “Yeah.”

“Ah, that’s good. You got me worried when you suddenly passed out. Least Applejack was kind enough to carry you home.” Harry said.

Peter turned his gaze towards Harry.

“Applejack?” He questioned, quirking an eyebrow.

"Yup, a good friend of mine. She was really worried when she saw you passed out yesterday. She even insisted on carrying you back home.” Harry commented with a small chuckle. “Said she didn't want to leave your side after seeing the state you were in.”

Peter smiled and shook his head.

“I should thank her the next time we meet.” He mumbled.

Following far behind the two boys, Flash Thompson and Kenny McFarlane stalked them with grins plastered onto their faces.

“Wonchu look at that, puny Parker has his back turned? Well, looks like our little friend is about to get his first day wedgy.” Flash said mockingly, turning his gaze towards Kenny. “So, who gets to go first?”

“Well, you already had your first with another runt. I should have this one.” Kenny suggested smugly.
“By all means.” Flash stepped aside and gestured his hand forward. “After you.”

Kenny snickered slightly under his breath and moved forward. Each step was carefully placed as he crept closer towards Peter. Everyone but the two conversion boys watched Kenny creeping closer towards Peter. His arms spread wide in anticipation while his grin widened to reveal perfect white teeth.

A tingling sensation ran down from Peter’s hollow skull to his spine. He halted his tracks and stared forward. There was a second tingle, almost similar to the sensation of electricity running down his spine. It was as though someone had injected a jolt of electricity through his body. He shuddered as goose bumps covered his skin like thousands of tiny ants crawling up his body.

Peter whirled around facing a startled Kenny McFarlane. His hands shot up, grabbing both of Kenny’s wrist and narrowed his eyes dangerously up at him. Kenny yelped in surprise and jerked backwards.

“Back. Off.” Peter stated fiercely while glaring at Kenny.

Kenny gulped, feeling his stomach churn in nervousness. Peter slowly let go of both of Kenny’s wrists. He turned away and started forward down the hallway with Harry following behind.
Leaving Kenny frozen where he stood.

The bell’s ringing signaled to every student in different rooms that class was over. Said students already got up and started their way out of the room. Closing his notebook, Peter stood up from his chair, shoving said notebook into his backpack. Grabbing the strap and starts halfway forward before halting in his tracks.

Peter rubbed his temples; he could still feel the strange tingling feeling running through his head that happened earlier with Kenny. He felt confused and annoyed. Peter shook his head and headed for the door, leaving the classroom.

Upon entering the cafeteria, everyone was already seated on their respective chairs in groups. Laughter, chatter, and conversations filled the air. Some students were talking to their friends, while their other friends were busy on their phones.

"Yo, Peter!"

Peter's head turned in the direction of the shout. Like yesterday, he spotted Harry sitting on an empty mobile table with two trays full of food in front of him and a large smile plastered across his features.

Peter walked over and took a seat beside Harry. Peter opened his mouth to say something but quickly shuts it when he caught something from the corner of his eye. He turned his gaze to see Gwen Stacy from afar, sitting at another table with a group of girls. The world tuned out as he stared at Gwen in silent astonishment. He found himself lost in her electric blue eyes; eyes that made him feel warm and fuzzy. His heart skipped a beat when he realized he was staring too intensely at her. Blushing furiously, he looked anywhere except at her as his ears began burning red.

Peter quickly turned his gaze in time to see his friend Harry staring at him with a wide grin across his face.

"What?" Peter muttered irritably.
Harry pointed toward Gwen, his eyes sparkling mischievously, "You ogling Gwen?"

"No! I'm not ogling anything!" Peter snapped defensively.

Harry let out a chuckle. "Whatever you say, bro."

Peter scowled and pulled out his bag from his backpack. Pulling out the plastic container before opening it up and began eating his sandwich. Before he could take another bite, his mind suddenly buzzed, drawing his attention away from his sandwich towards a girl nearby.

She was adorable, with wide, innocent teal eyes and long, wavy, powder-pink hair. She walked forward with a tray of food in hand. But that wasn’t what caught Peter’s attention. His eyes landed on a puddle of water that she was approaching.

Peter observed as the girl inadvertently stepped upon the aforementioned puddle, resulting in a moist, resounding impact. A startled yelp escaped her lips as she lost her footing, causing the tray she held to ascend into the atmosphere. Reacting instinctively, Peter swiftly vacated his seat, executing a nimble roll upon the floor before enfolding his arm around the descending damsel's midsection.

The girl emitted a gasp as Peter drew her nearer, assuming a protective stance. Her countenance pressed firmly against his chest, her eyes widening as she gazed upward at him, her visage suffused with a rosy hue of mortification. With one hand securely encircling her waist, Peter adroitly employed the other appendage, successfully intercepting the tray's descent upon the aforementioned hand.

The food fell back on the try in perfect
balance and precision. Peter was shocked of what he just did. None more so then the girl in his arms. Peter shifted his gaze towards her.

“Are you okay?” Peter questioned with concern etched onto his face. The girl remained stunned as she blinked owlishly at him.

“Um, yes.” She muttered shyly, averting her gaze downwards. Peter uncoiled his arm off of her waist, allowing the girl to stand straight.

“Could’ve been a bad fall, right? Might wanna watch your step next time.” Peter advised with a smile. The girl responded with a nod.

“T-Thank you,” she said softly before turning and walking off in her direction.

Peter watched the timid girl sit down with her friends who were staring at him. All six of them in awe of the spectacle they just witnessed. He couldn’t blame them though; he was just as surprised as they are.

Peter paused.

Did he just talked to a girl without stuttering his words?

“Peter..?”

Peter turned to his left finding Harry standing in front of him. His face etched awe and admiration. “Wow, man… That was so cool!”

Peter chuckled awkwardly, scratching his neck with a slight grin plastered onto his face. “Uh, yeah, thanks, Harry.”

“When did you learn to do that?” Harry asked curiously.

“Ah, well I don’t know.” Peter replied truthfully. “I guess my body just moved on its own.”

Harry nodded understandingly. “That makes sense. Hey, I was thinking. Why don’t you and I go to the arcade after school today? You can even pick which games to play and I'll pay.”

Peter thought about it for a moment. Spending time with his first friend sounded fun. Plus he hadn’t played arcades since he was a kid so he was eager to finally get back to the pastime.

“Sure, I’m down.” Agreed Peter.

Harry’s face lit up excitedly, “Awesome! I’m gonna head to the bathroom. Wait for me, okay?”

Peter watched as his friend sprinted off towards the double doors. He gave a small smile at his antics before returning back to his seat. Upon sitting back down, he blinked in puzzlement when he felt something cold. He brought his hand up and looked down at the source.

Peter raised a brow.

A fork was sticking to his wrist.

Peter attempted to shake off the fork by shaking his hand, but to no avail. The fork stubbornly remained affixed to his wrist. Briefly glancing at the individuals surrounding him, who were engrossed in their own conversations, Peter let out a sigh and redirected his gaze back to his wrist.

With utmost care, Peter firmly grasped the handle of the fork and began to slowly lift it upwards, gradually raising the utensil higher. It was at this moment that Peter's eyes beheld a delicate strand of web extending from his wrist and adhering to the fork. A look of astonishment washed over Peter's face as he stared intently at the intricate web entwined with the fork, struggling to comprehend the inexplicable sight before him.

Peter immediately stood up from his seat. He yanked the fork out of his wrist and placed it down next to his tray. He starts forward towards the door, leaving behind his unfinished food. As Peter walked, his eyes were transfixed onto his wrist where the protruding web once was.

His words from earlier today reigned true.

Something has changed.

Author's Note:

A/N: And that’s chapter 2 young readers! It appears Peter has discovered both his spider sense and his ability to shoot webs in one day! And it’ll just get even crazier for him as time moves on. See you all in the next chapter!