• Published 13th Nov 2023
  • 295 Views, 0 Comments

The Warden: Part 3, Dream of the Warden - FortressLegacy



Princess Luna seeks the forgiveness of the Warden by entering his dream. The stakes are high, but her chances at gaining his forgiveness are slim.

  • ...
 0
 295

Chapter 16: The Choice

The miasma of the dream reformed, and once again, Luna and the Warden found themselves in the living room of the cottage.

To one side, Edelweiss was assisting Bastion in putting on a set of loaded saddlebags. Standing nearby was Casemate, watching on.

“Are you absolutely certain you cannot remain?” The mare asked, looking a bit downcast as she fastened a strap.

The older stallion nodded. “I am afraid so, daughter.” He said, looking understandingly down at her. “I have done what I needed to do. I have passed on the role of Warden, and I need to go take care of other matters.”

“But it’s only been two days.” Edelweiss protested.

Bastion inhaled and exhaled slowly, blinking once. He gave Edelweiss a look of understanding, before looking up at Casemate.

Casemate’s gaze was affixed on Bastion, and there was a harsh glint in his emerald green eyes.

Bastion remained silent for a few seconds more, before looking back down at Edelweiss.

“I do not wish to intrude upon either of you, nor do I wish to wrong my son any more than I already have. It is for the best.” He said in a resigned tone.

Bastion stepped away from Edelweiss, turning to face the couple.

“And as I said before, I have some things that I need to do elsewhere, before it is too late. My time as Warden is over, but I have a new mission, and I will not be dissuaded.”

Casemate nodded approvingly, still possessing the somewhat stern look. He still felt angry towards his father, that was undebatable.

Edelweiss looked helpless, her body language indicating that although she wanted for him to stay, she was beginning to accept the fact that he was leaving, even if she didn’t want him to.

She nodded, albeit reluctantly. She walked up to Bastion, and embraced him for a moment, closing her eyes. Bastion put a foreleg around her, gently hugging her back before returning to his previous stance.

Edelweiss let him go and stepped back, smiling slightly.

“Then go do what you need to do.” She murmured.

Bastion nodded, looking at Edelweiss with a spark in his eyes. Luna could see that he had grown fond of his daughter in law.

Then he looked up at Casemate, and an uncomfortable silence fell between them all. Casemate’s expression told of a conflict deep within him, despite the hardness still lingering on his face. Bastion, meanwhile, looked somber and resigned.

It seemed like he had accepted the possibility that he was going to remain unforgiven.

“I guess this is it for me and you, son.” He rumbled quietly.

Casemate nodded.

“Yes. It is.”

The blunt remark hung in the air, only adding to the increasing discomfort.

Was he not going to forgive Bastion?

Although Luna wanted for this to not be the case, it appeared it was going to be that way…

But Edelweiss wasn’t going to accept that just yet. She spoke up, looking at her husband with a pleading expression.

“Casey?” She asked softly. “Please.”

Luna watched as her words were heard by Casemate. At first, his brow lowered, and his jaw became set, indicating that he did not want to consider forgiveness.

It was not dissimilar to how he had treated Luna when she first entered his dream earlier.

But then, he bowed his head, closed his eyes, and exhaled through his teeth.

“Father?” He asked, his tone sounding forced and tense. “I have something to say before you go.”

He reopened his eyes and looked at his father, his face relaxing somewhat. Luna felt a jolt of hope. Once again, Edelweiss’ words had not fallen upon unwilling ears. He sounded reluctant, yes. But he was making a statement.

Was he going to do it?

Bastion’s ears stiffened, and his sole focus became directed at Casemate.

“Yes, son?” He asked, sounding and looking a bit apprehensive. He did not know what to expect, but he understood that it could be a verbal lashing that was very well deserved.

Casemate glanced at Edelweiss, who was looking at him hopefully, before turning back to his father.

“What you did to me was inexcusable.” He began, speaking in a gruff tone. “We both know just how bad it got. You almost broke me, father.”

Bastion’s ears drooped, and his mouth curled downwards.

“I know, and for what it’s worth, I am sorry.” He replied quietly. “But I also don’t expect your forgiveness. I don’t deserve it.”

“You’re right.” Casemate replied sharply. “I know you’re sorry, but it doesn’t change what you did. All that time spent working me to the breaking point, and then pushing me further in the name of protecting Equestria… It… It almost turned me into something just as bad as you.”

This harsh remark caused Edelweiss to stiffen, and Bastion to look away in shame.

Luna felt the harsh reality of Casemate’s bitterness sink in like a dagger. Any hopes of him letting go were surely gone now, along with the assurance that the Warden already had the capability to forgive her.

Casemate shook his head.

“I know that Edelweiss has seen your better self and accepts you. But that is only because you’ve never subjected her to the hell you put me through.” He declared, sounding more incensed with each word. “For her sake, I tried to accept your apology. I know you’ve changed, I know you’ve gotten better, just by how you treat her. I also know that it is because of your training that I survived my time in Halterburg, but it is also because I ran away from you that I found my true calling! Princess Luna herself had to step in to save me, and she has done more to help me than you ever did!”

The room fell deathly silent.

Bastion gave a deep, heaving sigh as he looked up at his son’s angered glare.

“Casemate…” He murmured.

Casemate shook his head.

“Stop apologizing. I will not accept it, not after what you did.”

Edelweiss edged away from Casemate upon hearing this. There was a big mix of emotions running through her, not least of which were disbelief, sadness, and disappointment.

“Casey?” She whispered, stunned.

Casemate’s ear pivoted towards her, and he kept silent for a few seconds more, before speaking to his father again.

“We have both done what needed to be done.” He said in a less loud voice. “You have abdicated the role of Warden to me, and I have accepted my purpose. Our business here is done, and I do not wish to be in your presence any longer than I need to. You may leave.”

Bastion nodded in acceptance, looking downcast while he turned towards the door.

Seeing him do so, Edelweiss looked between Bastion and Casemate. Her eyes were widened, and her ears were lowering.

“Casemate!” She exclaimed sharply, scolding him.

This was met by a fierce glare from Casemate to Edelweiss, which shocked Luna. For the first time, Casemate was acting in full, willing defiance of Edelweiss’ advice. He was so embroiled in his bitterness, that he was now finally showing just how unwilling he was to let go.

For a split second, Edelweiss flinched, having never seen this uglier side of Casemate’s rage before. Her ears drooped rather than pinned, and the muscles in her face tensed in a brief moment of fear.

At this very moment, Luna felt the Warden’s remorse hit a fever pitch. The princess diverted her gaze from the drama unfolding to the stallion beside her, and what she saw from him was unprecedented.

His eyes were closed, his ear was lower than she had ever seen it before, and he was looking at the floor.

The stoicism that he typically held had been broken.

This moment hurt him…

He regretted his past actions here…

Bastion’s deep voice sounded, breaking the tense scene and catching everypony’s attention.

“It’s all right, Edelweiss.” He said, looking earnestly at the couple. “You cannot expect him to just forgive me for traumatizing him. Especially immediately after reuniting after over a decade apart.”

Casemate blinked, his expression lightening up as he heard his father’s words. Edelweiss still looked hurt, but she couldn’t deny that there was some wisdom to Bastion’s intercession.

Bastion continued.

“I know that right now, you cannot bring yourself to forgive me, son. But with time, you may find that you will gain some clarity, as I did.”

Then, he put his hoof into one of the saddlebags on his back, and took out a small device for the couple to see.

“This is a tracking beacon. If you ever feel the need to contact me, you can track me down.” He explained, before returning it.

There was a momentary pause, as Luna felt the mood feel a little less hopeless. At least Bastion was keeping the door open, so to speak.

The three ponies looked at each other, the raw emotions beginning to die down into a somber realization that Bastion was about to leave.

Finally, the older stallion sighed, adjusted his bags, and addressed the couple.

“I must be off. But until then, Edelweiss, stay by his side.” He said, motioning to Casemate. “You are perfect for him. You are compassionate, empathetic, kind, brave… He needs you more than he knows, and he is incomplete without you. Guide him.”

Edelweiss nodded, wiping her eyes.

“Thank you… I will.”

Bastion nodded, and in defiance of the heavy atmosphere, he smiled warmly at her. Then, he looked at Casemate.

“Son, take care of her. Perform your duties, but be a good husband first. Please, do not let your anger turn you into what I used to be.” He implored. “You are strong, courageous, and you have a genuinely good heart. You can do it, and I am so proud of who you have become, Casemate.”

Casemate glanced off to the side upon hearing this, and a genuinely conflicted look came across his face, as if he were questioning his outburst earlier.

“As for the both of you…” Bastion said, causing both Casemate and Edelweiss to look at him. His ears fell, and he took on a saddened look. “Hold on to each other. Enjoy every moment, because you don’t know when it will end. Promise me that.”

Edelweiss and Casemate looked at each other, and nodded in response.

“We will.” Both ponies said in unison.

Bastion nodded, looking relieved.

“Then I have nothing more to say, except goodbye. May you both live happily.”

With that, he turned to the door and opened it. The cool mountain breeze blew into the room, stirring the manes and tails of the ponies within. Bastion closed his eyes, drew in a deep breath, and took a look back at Casemate and Edelweiss.

He didn’t say anything, but instead gave a small nod and a smile.

Edelweiss smiled back, and Casemate nodded once. No further words were necessary. They all understood that, for better or for worse, this was goodbye.

Bastion looked back for a few seconds more, before he finally faced forwards, and with some heavy hoofsteps, he walked out the door.

Casemate and Edelweiss both walked to the doorway, watching as Bastion made a turn towards the treeline.

But before he went out of sight, he turned towards a gravestone, the one from the sequence where he was training Casemate. He strode up to it, looking downwards before kneeling and placing a hoof atop the marker.

Luna felt her heart ache as she recalled that the gravestone marked the resting place of Bastion’s wife, Casemate’s mother. He was giving a farewell, for what was possibly the final time…

Edelweiss drew in a slightly shaky breath as she realized what Bastion was doing. Even Casemate’s expression softened, and his frown lost its intensity.

The Warden sighed deeply, his feelings of regret and sadness amplifying as he watched his father kneeling at his mother’s grave.

Although he was facing away, Luna could make out emotion in Bastion’s movements. Yet, he seemed peaceful and calm, as if he had already come to terms with his departure from his beloved.

The older stallion stood up after a minute, wiping his eyes and nose before turning to give a final look back at Casemate and Edelweiss. He nodded one final time, his blue eyes glinting in the sunlight.

Then, he turned around, and walked off into the ponderosa trees, soon disappearing from sight.

Everypony present was silent, looking out into the forest where Bastion had gone. The wind blew through the trees, causing the branches to sway as birds chirped and the rapping of distant woodpeckers dominating the scene.

Then, Edelweiss looked up at Casemate. She was visibly experiencing a number of different emotions, not least of which appeared to be sadness and disappointment.

Casemate looked out for a few seconds more, before turning his head downwards to look at his wife. He wasn’t angry any more, but rather confused.

He gave a questioning look at Edelweiss, and she shook her head slightly, her mouth tightening a little.

“Why didn’t you do it?” She asked, the disappointment in her voice very clear. “You could have forgiven him.”

Casemate blinked, and tried to answer, not nearly as defensive as he was before.

“I just-”

Edelweiss raised a hoof and shook her head again.

“Don’t. Don’t try to explain right now.”

She turned away and walked deeper into the cottage, walking into the bedroom and closing the door behind her.

Casemate watched in silence while she did so, closing the front door. Once she was gone, Casemate stared at the floor for a full minute, dwelling on what had happened.

Edelweiss was greatly disappointed in him, and understandably so. Despite her trying so hard to get him to understand why forgiving his father was so important, he doubled down on Bastion instead, his anger dictating his decision.

There was no telling if he would ever have another chance to forgive his father personally, and he elected not to.

As the sequence drew to a close, Casemate sighed, placing a hoof on his face and dragging it down, closing his eyes. It seemed that he had much to think about…


The environment surrounding Luna and the Warden faded into darkness, and both dwelled on what they had seen.

Luna’s heart weighed heavily within her chest. This was far from a happy occurrence. After hoping that there would be some closure between Casemate and Bastion for the past few sequences, it was crushing to know that there wouldn’t be any after all.

Inside, Luna felt as if while one could conclude that Bastion did do far too much damage to deserve forgiveness, it still didn’t feel right to not even accept his apology. She didn’t know what exactly happened to Bastion for him to change so much over a decade, but it had clearly done much to him. He was regretful, gentle, soft spoken, and even affectionate. He wanted to move on.

On top of that, Edelweiss had tried so hard to convince Casemate to let go of his resentment. She loved him dearly, and it stood to reason that she didn’t want him to run the risk of being subjected to his debilitating anger, as she once was. Plus, she really seemed to take pity on Bastion, and she wanted to do everything she could to help him lighten his own burden.

Yet, Casemate made his decision to not forgive him. He had allowed his anger and resentment to dictate his way of thinking, even if it benefited nopony, not even himself.

The most painful part of this was the fact that Luna understood all too well how it felt to be unforgiving. It was wrong, but when driven by anger and hate, holding on to bitterness often felt like the obvious choice.

What did this mean for her, here and now? Would he follow the same logic as before, and refuse to forgive her?

“Well… It doesn’t seem as if he was a very forgiving individual back then…” Nightmare Moon pointed out, sending shivers down Luna’s backside. “Tell us, Luna; If his own beloved wife couldn’t convince him to forgive his father, what chance is there of him forgiving us?”

Luna had to turn away from the Warden for a moment as her doubts seeped back in. She took a deliberate, deep, shaking breath, her ears drooping as her heart froze for a moment.

Yet again, Nightmare Moon made a point that seemed completely valid, and not at all what Luna needed to hear.

Was Nightmare right? Was she merely delaying the inevitable by trying to gain his forgiveness?

The familiar sting of worry and fear sank into Luna’s being. If Casemate hasn’t changed his heart since then, who was to say that history wouldn’t repeat itself? Could she already draw the conclusion that she would have to cope with being unforgiven?

A deep sigh from the Warden disrupted her thoughts. She blinked once or twice, and looked in his direction, her eyes shining curiously.

She still felt a great deal of remorse coming from him, along with no small amount of sadness. These emotions were strong enough to force his current anger towards Luna to a secondary spot, making their significance stand out.

The Warden was looking downwards, his ear twitching slowly while it remained drooped.

Gradually, her fearful thoughts slowed. He was regretting not forgiving his father, Luna was sure of it.

If that was the case, then was he truly bound to withhold the forgiveness that she needed to conquer Nightmare Moon?

An irresistible question began to arise within her, and before long, it escaped her lips.

“You feel sorrow for not forgiving your father, don’t you?” She asked softly.

The Warden looked up at her from the side, his eye narrowing for a moment, before he relented and resumed his sorrowful look.

“I do.”

Luna listened to his simple answer, and she felt another question arise.

“If you could go back and get another chance, would you forgive him now?”

“...Probably.” The Warden sighed, his ears twitching as he thought. “My decision to not forgive him remained a sore spot in me and Edel’s marriage.”

“It didn’t cause your relationship to fail, did it?” Luna asked worriedly.

“No, thankfully. We made it through together, but our relationship changed from that day onward. She still loved me, though.”

A wistful sigh escaped the Warden’s mouth as a fresh wave of longing and sadness washed over him.

Luna nodded slightly, looking away once more as she processed his answers. There were still questions, though.

“I have but two final questions regarding your father, Casemate.”

“What are they?” He asked, rubbing his eyelids.

“Has your perception of your father changed since then? Would you forgive him even if Edelweiss hadn’t pushed for it?”

The Warden remained silent for a few seconds, and Luna began to worry that he was getting impatient with her questions. But he broke the silence, and answered.

“I have had more than enough time to think about my past life, thanks to you.” He answered, his tone lowering as he shot an angered look at Luna, who cringed. But the anger was short lived, and he shook his head. “Yes, I see him differently now. Having grown older and having suffered a massive loss myself, as well as having given into my hatred for a time, I realize how easy it was for him to treat me like he did.”

His ear became pinned, and he snorted as anger mingled with his sadness and remorse.

“It doesn’t excuse what he did, and if I am being honest…”

His voice trailed off, and he paused, before finishing.

“If I had another opportunity to forgive him, and if Edelweiss’ words weren’t there, I doubt I would be able to forgive him.”

Anxiety shot through Luna as the implications of this answer hit home. If he felt that he was incapable of forgiving Bastion without his wife’s memory, then what were the odds that he would find it in his heart to forgive her?

Once again, fear and shame began to pile up. Forgiveness was looking less and less likely as the sequences progressed.

But just as before, there was hope. The fact remained that he still felt remorse for being unforgiving, even though it was mainly brought about by Edelweiss.

If he felt as if forgiving his father would have resulted in a happier life for his loved ones, then there was some hope that he may make the decision to do so.

It was a small hope, but hope nonetheless.

Luna doggedly kept hoping for this miracle, knowing that it was the only thing besides the desperation of keeping Nightmare Moon at bay that was driving her onwards. She had to keep going, and not let the apparent setback of Casemate’s past unforgiveness hold her back.

“Next one?” Luna asked, and the Warden nodded.

With that, the princess’ horn glowed, and she manipulated the dreamscape once more, determined to keep on going.