• Published 9th Oct 2023
  • 309 Views, 5 Comments

Death Becomes Her - daOtterGuy



Somnambula will do anything for her people

  • ...
0
 5
 309

Avatar

Somnambula stopped before the doors to Hades’ chambers. She had managed to slip past the palace guards with some invisibility help from Thanatos and a serving of sleeping herbs from the kitchen for Cereberus. They had reached their destination, and soon Somnambula would achieve her goals.

“So, Hades is beyond these doors?” Somnambula asked the hovering pegasus next to her.

“Yes,” Thanatos replied. “Once we’re ready, all we need to do is burst through these doors and Hades goes kaput. Well, temporarily at least.”

“Will he revive?”

“It’ll take him a while, but yes.” He waved a wing. “Don’t worry though. This happens somewhat infrequently due to his jerkish brothers. Frankly, he’ll probably thank us for the vacation.”

“Very well, then.” Somnambula nodded. “You will be taking over my body now?”

Thanatos nearly dropped from the air in surprise. He looked at Somnambula with a look similar to a foal with their hoof stuck in the cookie jar.

“How did you—”

“I am a priestess,” Somnambula interrupted. “I have access to all the scrolls of our temple, and they are well aware of the gods’ ways. It's why you only assisted me, never dealing with our troubles directly. The gods cannot interfere with each other unless they are one of the Three, have the assistance of a mortal, or—” she narrowed her eyes “—occupy the body of a mortal.”

“And you still agreed to all of this?” Thanatos asked incredulously. “Even knowing the cost?”

“I want to free my people,” Somnambula said. “Those wants do not need to include my well-being.”

He landed on the tiled floor. She could see thoughts race through his head. She was a puzzle to him that he was trying to solve. After a moment, his eyes blazed brighter, a solution found.

“I have a proposal.” Thanatos held up a feather to stop the immediate reply. “This will still achieve your goals.”

“Then what is your proposal?” Somnambula asked.

“Allow me to make you my avatar.”

Somnambula furrowed her brow. “I am unfamiliar with the term.”

“Unsurprising, as many gods don’t like to share this particular piece of information. Basically, I will bind my fate to yours. I tag along in your body, and you gain full access to my power while retaining your autonomy,” Thanatos explained.

“... This bargain feels too skewed to me.”

“I assure you, it isn’t.” His wings cocooned them both, a barrier of black against the outside world. “You interest me, Som. You seem like a pony worth sticking to, and one better suited to making her own decisions.”

“Then I accept.”

He laughed. “Just like that? No further questions?”

“Any path you have provided to me will fulfill my wishes. Forestalling the conclusion is just wasting time for the sake of it.”

“See, this is why I like you, Som.” Blue flames enveloped Thanatos’s body. His eyes glowing brighter within the cold flames. “You’re just. So. Reckless.”

The flames consumed Somnambula. She burned, cold fire burrowing into her very being. A cloak of shredded pale skin settled around her. A horn of bone erupted from her forehead. Her eyes shone with ghostly flames. Her fur and skin became transparent, revealing the bone underneath.

She opened the door, her wings spread around her in a halo of feathers. Standing within the room was an entity wrapped in shadows wearing armour made of bone.

Before Hades could react, Somnambula formed a scythe of arcane magic and swung for his neck.