• Published 16th Aug 2023
  • 756 Views, 27 Comments

Zugzwang: Two German soldiers in Equestria - Nokstella



Two German soldiers trapped inside their quarters, a portal appears. What will be their destiny inside it?

  • ...
10
 27
 756

Part 5: Report

The weary group of friends continued their journey through the forest path, the afternoon sun casting dappled shadows all around. While questions far outnumbered answers for now, their determined spirit remained strong.

Rainbow Dash's wing had stopped throbbing, though she still fluttered it experimentally now and then. Fluttershy kept a watchful eye, ever ready to assist.

As they walked, Rarity turned to Twilight inquisitively. "My dear, I've been thinking. Based on what we witnessed, do you suppose magic similar to our own could be at play in those strangers' astounding contraption?"

Twilight nodded thoughtfully. "It's certainly possible magic plays a role we don't yet understand. Their technologies seem well beyond anything in Equestria. But how did they come to be here?"

Just then, Pinkie Pie gasped up ahead. "Look everypony, I think I see the town!" Her announcement lifted their weary heads.
Sure enough, glimpses of Thistlewood's welcoming rooftops and windmill towers could now be spotted past the thinning trees. The six picked up the pace, wanting to share all they had uncovered with Captain Grass.

The persevering friends made their way through Thistlewood's bustling streets, taking note that many more guards patrolled about than before.

Ever observant, Spike spoke up from Twilight's back. "Hey, look at all the guards. Something must be up for the captain to call in extra security."

Twilight nodded thoughtfully. "You make a wise observation, Spike. I wonder if any new developments occurred while we were gone."

As they strode towards the town's infirmary, Rarity remarked "Whatever discoveries were made, I just hope our report can aid in unraveling this perplexing puzzle piece by piece."

At the hospital's entrance they were met by the same nurse, who granted them an audience with the recovering Captain Grass Yeild. "He's been expecting you all. This way please, but go gently, the poor dear needs his rest."

They reached the 9th floor at last, spotting the familiar guard posted outside room 93 as before. With a solemn nod he opened the heavy door, granting them entry.

Captain Grass Yeild lay propped up in bed, though appearing much recovered from his ordeal in the forest. "Ah, at last the moment I've awaited. Tell me what clues you've uncovered intracking those scoundrels," he bid eagerly.

One by one, each friend recounted their findings, from the strange vehicle's advanced design to the strangely attired culprits wielding unfamiliar weapons. Spike scribbled keenly to record it all.

Applejack stepped forward first. "Well Captain, it all started when we was out trackin' them no-good thieves. Found some mighty queer wagon tracks leadin' inta the forest."

Next, Fluttershy spoke up softly. "We followed the trail and came upon a big metal carriage in a clearing. Oh, and something came out of it but vanished so quickly..."

Pinkie Pie bounced in place. "Then we saw the weirdest thing ever! It was like a really big cart but made of metal grids and huge rubber wheels."

Rarity cleared her throat politely. "Indeed, the construction was most advanced. And the beings that fled were attired unlike any race of Equestria."

Rainbow Dash crossed her hooves, still miffed. "When I tried to chase them, one of them shot some kinda magic at me! Gave me a wicked stinging feeling in my wings."

Twilight concluded, "Their technology seems well beyond our own. But the most peculiar thing was the...'fabric' we found - it wasn't fabric at all!"

Nodding thoughtfully, Captain Grass turned to Spike. "And you, lad, anything to add from your scribbling?"

Spike looked up nervously. "Uhh, yeah! Their cave definitely smells weird. Literally!"

"I swear, that sting is still bugging me some," she huffed, drawing Fluttershy's gentle attention.

"Oh my, please let me take another look dear," Fluttershy cooed, running careful hooves along Rainbow's wings. "I don't see any marks, but magical attacks can leave aches."

Rarity sniffed, "Honestly Rainbow, one would think you'd been shot down from Cloudsdale and not just had a little zap. You're fine, darling."

Captain Grass nodded thoughtfully. "Indeed, discretion proved smartest given the enemies' advanced armaments. I'd have you fly wingmares against metal birds!" He joked.

Twilight laughed softly. "Let's just hope further encounters remain peaceful. In the meantime, we've much to research on these strangers."

"Quite right," agreed the Captain. "Keep me posted on any developments, and I'll do the same. For now, enjoy your well-earned report," Grass said exhaustingly, "Did you see the inn before you got into the hospital? You can stay there for tonight. Don't worry I paid for it, but hey uhhh... Dragon...? What's your name."

"It's Spike, don't you know?" Said Spike with annoyance.

"Sorry, well can you give me the notes that you wrote? I will need it to inform the princess of your findings." Grass said before Spike have his note.

The friends thanked Captain Grass fondly before taking their leave. Though rest called, curiosity and duty within them as well. One by one they said their farewell to the Captain, the Captain smiles under the layers of bandages. They went out to the door, passing through the previous guard. He nodded in affirmation.

Twilight walked in thoughtful stride. "While research calls me, wisdom says rest beckons us for tomorrow's challenges."

Applejack stretched her tired legs. "Amen ta that, Twi. This ol' farm filly's plumb tuckered out!"

Fluttershy walked quietly beside Pinkie Pie, who grinned, "I bet staying up late telling spooky stories by the fire would be super fun!"

Rarity kept pace, "Now Pinkie dear, as thrilling as tales may be, we must preserve our beauty sleep for the days ahead."

At the inn, innkeeper cheerily showed them to two seperate rooms upstairs. "Unfortunately, you six have to split into two, but don't worry the rooms are just separated by a thin wall, enjoy the best we offer!"

Over a hearty supper in the common room, hushed debate ensued on their findings and future plans. One might want to not chase these thieves.

They split up, Twilight and Spike, Applejack, Fluttershy, will use the right room, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie use the left room, just beside it. They enter the cozy room, its cozy enough that they can sleep anywhere here. The three got into their beds, Twilight shares the bed with Spike.

Applejack fluffed a pillow by the foot of Twilight's bed. "Reckon I'll turn in here tonight, no sense in hoofin' to the barn when this'll do just fine."

Fluttershy had chosen a nest-like nook near the window, already drifting on the edge of sleep. "Goodnight everypony, sweet dreams..."

Seeing her friends in their places, Twilight opened a weathered tome from her pack. "Just a bit of light reading then lights out. Sleep well all, and pleasant dreams."

In the adjacent chamber meanwhile, Rarity neatly unpacked her things by the vanity. "Now where did I put my lavender pillow mists... a little soothing scent can't hurt for beauty rest."

Pinkie bounced to the foot of Rainbow's bed across the way. "Ooh, I call window-side too! Think I'll munch a snack and watch the stars 'til snooze-time."

"Finally the pain is gone!" Rainbow Dash's voice can be heard from the other room.

As Twilight's friend drifted to sleep, Twilight suddenly remembered something. The book that Princess Celestia gave her, it was written by Luna's most trusted friend. she got out from the bed and opens her bag and grabs the book before opening it, the card is gone and It was empty before, now it is filled with hastily drawn sketches of... the same creatures from earlier? Twilight kept flipping the pages, there shows many notes besides the sketches, she can't read it because it's written in ancient Equestrian dialect.

"This is... Surely interesting..." Twilight mumbled to herself as she is awed and confused why this is happening.

She keeps turning the pages, the creatures wearing clothes similar what the ponies would wear in Manehattan. After a few pages, there it is. A page with nothing except a big word with two lines underlining it. The word is "HUMAN" is this what the creature's names are?

She keeps looking at the word, she should tell her friends tomorrow and the Captain. But now she realizes it's already very late, she puts the book back into her bag. She got into the bed with Spike, good thing he's not too large as a grown dragon at least. Finally, she drifts to sleep while thinking about the book.

Author's Note:

What is Lavender Pillow mist? I don't know I just made it up or something. Happy new year, I don't celebrate it. Maybe I did by eating one slice of pizza. Work, work, work... See you next time readers.

I'm working on a new story, maybe. But I will prioritize this one.