• Published 13th Nov 2023
  • 498 Views, 2 Comments

The Fate of the Magic - Harrison Sparrow



Sunny falls in love with a handsome pegasus, whilst Opaline prepares to plot her biggest attack in Equestria yet!

  • ...
 2
 498

4. An Unexpected Guest

The next morning, Sunny, feeling a little sleep-deprived, went down to the Sheriff Station, where Sparky seemed to be having a little too much random food for breakfast.

"Now, Sparky, what did we say the most important rule was when having breakfast in the morning?" Hitch asked Sparky.

"Not to have too much. There's no need for you to remind me about it every time, I got it all under control." He turned to see Sunny. "Oh, morning, Sunny!"

"*yawn* Morning, Sparky. Morning, Hitch."

"Are you okay? You don't look so good... but you look colorful, too!"

"Oh, do I?" She said, addressing her new look. "I'm fine. Just a bit under the weather, that's all." She then looked at all the food in shock. "Jeez, look at all this food you have!"

"Yeah, his chaotic dragon fire did all of this." Hitch explained. "I keep reminding him not to have a lot. He's gonna get a big fat tummy otherwise!"

"No, I'm not!" Sparky said annoyingly.

"Actually, Sparky, would you mind if me and Hitch have a little chat for a minute, please? It's kinda urgent."

"Okay. And I don't mind if you want any of these. I'm gonna go to the bathroom." He walks off upstairs.

"I'm warning you, Sparky. If you ever do something bad to that toilet, there's big trouble inbound."

"What, I owe you? I don't have any money!"

"That's not at all what I..." He face palms in frustration. "*sigh* What am I gonna do with him?"

"He's changing. He's beginning to understand more."

"Yeah, maybe you're right." He then felt surprised by Sunny's face and mane. "Whoa, and he's right about how you look. New colors on your hair, cool, but being all sleep deprived... what happened? Terrible night last night?"

"*sigh* Well, it's... complicated."

"In what way? Bad dreams? Nightmares? Or were anyone of the girls snoring or talking in their sleep?"

"No... Actually, I just came on by to remind you about... about the festival that we're gonna start working on today, so... it's nothing, really."

"Doesn't look like nothing to me, not with that look on your face. You obviously came down here for a reason, didn't you?"

"Hitch, I'm fine, really." Sunny replied, not wanting to talk about it.

But Hitch demanded a real answer. "Sunny, tell me, what's going on?"

"I told you, it's nothing!"

"Don't lie to me! I'm trying to help you here! As a sheriff, it's my job to make sure everypony is feeling okay." Sunny frowned in sadness with her head down. He sighs and puts his hoof on her chin. "Sunny, whatever's going on, we can talk about it together, okay? Just me and you. I'm all ears, so be honest with me."

Sunny took a few breathes. "Okay... Last night, I've been... I've been hearing some weird noises in my head."

"What kind of weird noises?"

"I don't know, they... must've sounded like really high, and squeaky in some way. So that's why I couldn't sleep well."

"Are you coming down with something? Like tinnitus?"

"No! I know what that means, Hitch. I just... never heard anything like it before."

"So it just happened last night? How many times?"

"Just once. But ever since it happened, I've spent the rest of the night thinking about it. I don't even know what caused it to happen or something, but... I think something is... changing me. And in what way, I don't know that either."

"Have you told the girls about this?"

"I didn't want to, but... I had no choice."

"You know we can't keep secrets from friends, Sunny, not like Misty did to us."

"I know that, okay? You see, a lot has changed ever since we fought Opaline that day and nearly lost Sparky. Misty is now living with us, and more dragons are all around Equestria after all these moons, since we first met most of them at the Isle of Scaly... And don't get me wrong here, this is really amazing, and I'm sure Dad would've loved to have seen all of this himself." She then became worried. "But what if Misty is right? What if Opaline does come back and does something even more dangerous?"

"Opaline manipulated and groomed her, Sunny, just like she tried to do the same to you. I know Twilight Sparkle tried to warn us about Opaline in the first place, but we all know now, thanks to Zipp and all her incredible detective skills. *snicker* She really gets me."

"And Misty said we treated her like Opaline never could. We treated her like a friend, so we made her return the favor."

"She chose us, Sunny." Hitch smiled. "Because of us, she chose friendship."

"And earned her cutie mark. But now it's only a matter of time before Opaline does come back for revenge, even if we don't know where or when."

"But everypony else doesn't know about Opaline yet."

"I know, but... I don't want them to be put in a panic. I just hope we can keep it that way as much as we can."

"You said you'd keep her away from us, right?"

"I did, and I'm gonna do everything I can to keep that promise." She looks over to Sparky, who is having more food after returning from the toilet. "I'm gonna make sure she never takes Misty or Sparky away from us ever again."

"I know you will. You have great power, Sunny. And with that, there must also come great responsibility. As long as we stick together, we'll kick that alicorn's flank for good. And, one more thing. If you ever have any more of these weird noises in your head again, then make sure you tell us, alright?"

"Thanks, Hitch."

After that long conversation, they hugged it out and Sunny regains her smile. Sunny does go through rough situations sometimes, but she will know when she needs someone close to comfort her.


Meanwhile, Opaline is outside her dark castle, figuring out a way to break out of the enchanted invisibubble that Twilight Sparkle created to keep her from invading Equestria.

"Twilight, Twilight, Twilight. You thought you could keep me locked away here forever? Well, just wait and see what will happen when I plant this dragon stone in the middle of this bubbly barrier of yours."

She digs a hole in the ground, plants the stone into it, and ignites it with her fire power. The stone lights up as it is lifted into the air, and unleashes a huge beam of fire into the sky, slowly starting to destroy the bubble.

"It may take a while, but by the time it is destroyed, I will finally be free from this dark, boring land, and nothing will ever stop me from getting what I want! So you better watch out, ponies and dragons. Opaline Arcana is coming for you..."


Having felt a bit better after talking to Hitch, Sunny returns to the Brighthouse to get ready on starting the construction of Glastonpony. As she turned her head over to the kitchen, she felt surprised after seeing a familiar pegasus... none other than Zack!

"Oh, hey, Sunny! We have a new visitor here, if that's okay with you." Misty said.

Zack turns around and sees Sunny in shock. They both felt the same way. "Sunny?!"

"Zack?!"

As they then ran up to each other, the others took that in.

"Zack who?" Izzy questioned.

"I... I don't believe it!" Zack said, feeling a bit speechless.

"Me either! I mean, how did you-?"

"Wait a minute. You two know each other?" Zipp interrupted.

"Uh, I guess so? We just met at Zephyr Heights yesterday." Sunny said.

"Yeah, we did! And now, I somehow found you again."

"Ah, you were talking to him? So that's why you kept me waiting at the palace." Pipp figured. "At least you should've told me!"

"Oh come on, Pipp, it's not like we where in a rush or something."

"Seriously, why didn't you tell us about him earlier, Sunny?"

"Yeah, did you get carried away?" Zipp asked.

"Hey, there's no need to make a big deal outta this, girls." Zack interjected, as he turned to Sunny. "I'd assume you were in a lotta pressure because of me, right?"

"*scoff* No, I wasn't, but that's a good guess."

Seeing how they were talking to each other, Izzy thought something was coming up. "Oooh, is this what I think it is? Do I smell a little taste of romance in the air?!" She asked.

Sunny and Zack felt blushed and immediately turned their heads. "What?! No, we're not in love, we just met!" They both said.

"Oh... Nevermind."

"Okay, let's go back a little earlier." Zipp said. "So your name's Zack?"

"Yup, that's me."

"And what is your last name?" Izzy asked.

"Thunderlane."

"Thunderlane?" Sunny repeated. "Hold on, you didn't tell me that was your last name."

"Uh, you didn't tell me yours either, so I guess we ended up in the same boat. Unless you wanna tell me now?"

Sunny rolls her eyes. "Alright. It's Starscout."

"Sunny Starscout?" Sunny nodded to him. "Do you scout stars in the sky?"

Sunny felt confused. "Excuse me?"

The others started laughing at that, as Sunny and Zack turned in shock.

"What?! Girls, come on, how is that funny!?"

"Oh, have a laugh, Sunny, that was actually a good one!" Misty giggled.

Sunny turned to Zack in disgust. "What? I was trying to lighten the mood, I didn't know that made you feel embarrassed." He said in sorrow.

"Ha-ha, nice try, pegasus, who I think on the other hoof, makes lanes of thunder in the sky." Sunny said sarcastically.

"Excuse me?!" Zack said in shock.

"*snicker* Not bad there, Sunny." Zipp said.

"Anyway, are you gonna introduce me to these friends of yours? I kinda forgot."

"Sure, these Pegasi are Princesses Pipp Petals and Zipp Storm, and the unicorns are Misty Brightdawn and Izzy Moonbow. They're all special in their own way."

"I already told him my name, there's no need for that." Izzy implied. "But I would love to talk about my creativity!"

"Okay, so how about you guys tell him about your talents whilst I go get ready?"

"Uh, alright, Sunny. Suit yourself. Are you sure you're okay?" Pipp asked.

"I'm fine. Thank you." Sunny replied, as she then went upstairs, leaving Zack to talk to them.

"Right, so you two are princesses?" He said to Pipp and Zipp. "*gasp* Oh wait, I heard about you two, you are such great artists!"

Pipp felt touched by that. "Really? Aw, thanks."

"Uh, just to be clear, buddy, Pipp's a pop star, and I'm not." Zipp corrected.

"Then, what are you? You gotta have some sorta talent, right?"

"A fast-flying detective who always trusts her instincts."

"Detective? You do police work?! *chuckle* Wow, that is so cool!"

"I create so many things with my imagination!" Izzy added. "And more specifically, I love arts and crafts, as long as it involves glitter!"

"And me? Well, I have a knack for critters, I think. Or maybe, uh... that's just Hitch?" Misty thought, although she wasn't really sure what her own talent is.

"Oh, and I even have a hair salon down at Mane Street, if you're ever interested in a new, magical look." Pipp said.

"Ooh, well, thanks for the offer. I appreciate it." Zack then hears Sunny singing from upstairs. "Uh, do you girls mind if I have a look in the balcony?"

"Sure, as long as you promise not to touch any of our stuff, okay? Because if that happens, you owe us, buddy." Zipp said with a menacing voice.

"Okay, okay, I promise! *giggle* No touchy." Zack said, as he walked off upstairs.

"*sigh* I think they're so made for each other." Izzy admired, and then the rest looked at her in confusion. "What?"

As Zack entered the balcony, he finds Sunny singing in front of the mirror near her bed. He thought he found it quite attractive, as he stepped closer to her. Then, Sunny turns to see Zack approaching her and stops singing.

"Oh, I'm... I'm sorry if I disturbed you there, I-I didn't want you to stop singing, I was just..."

"You saw me do that? Just now?"

"I found it quite attractive, if that's okay. I mean, not only do you have a nice name, but I think you have a nice singing voice, too."

"Well... thank you, I guess. But, what are you actually doing up here?"

"I was curious, so I just thought I take a look around. Your friends allowed me to, so..."

"I don't mind that then. I'm trying to get ready. We have lots of work to do."

"Alright, no problem." Zack looks around the room and feels impressed. "Wow. I'll admit, I've never seen anything like this before. So do you girls live here together?"

"Yes, we do. We're a family."

"Really? I didn't know you were so close. But about this house, it... well, it does feel like a magical place and all. I suppose a lotta work was put into it."

"You do have a point there. But it didn't used to be like this."

"It didn't? Oh, I get it, we're on a cliff, right? And there's a huge sea out in the distance, so that basically means... this is a special type of lighthouse?"

"Well, you can say it is like that. We decided to call it the Crystal Brighthouse for a reason. The great symbol of both magic and friendship in all of Equestria."

"Huh. Is that right?"

Sunny enters the lift and lends her hoof out. "Mind if I show you the top?"

Zack enters as well, and Sunny activates it with the access panel as it takes them both up to the top, where the Unity Crystals are displayed.

"Whoa. What are these?" Zack asked, gazing at the glowing crystals.

"The Unity Crystals. They're the real source of maintaining magic across the land. And as long as friendship and harmony lasts among everyone, the light of these crystals will brighten the skies." Sunny said, as she and Zack look up at the blue sky where the beam from the crystals is shining upwards.

"So, if I'm thinking this right... If anyone fights, or has any arguments or so, then... what will happen?"

"Then the magic will destabilize, and everyone will lose their powers."

"Ah... Okay. Did it happen before?"

"Yeah, but that was only because earth ponies didn't have their own form of magic back then, and they felt left out. But in the end, they now do, so everything is okay." She then walked out onto the tower's balcony, looking over at the town as Zack joined her.

"Earth pony magic, huh? What does it even do? Fire rainbow beams like this one? Generate electricity? Or, create new houses?"

"*chuckle* No. What makes you think it does something like that?"

"I don't know, just clues to the puzzle, I think."

"It actually grows plants and other ingredients, like tomatoes and bananas."

"*gasp* No way! You ever saw somepony grow a giant pumpkin before? I mean, I would love to make a massive scary face on one if that were to happen."

"Well, we did have a giant berry rolling down on Mane Street the other day, and it ended up causing a mess. Even on our town's sheriff."

"Oof. Big mistake."

"Yup, big mistake. But you were right about what you said yesterday, ponies do make mistakes sometimes."

"That's true. So... you said this place didn't used to be like this, right? Was it really a lighthouse?"

"Yeah. An old, rusty lighthouse."

"What happened to it?"

"On the day we brought magic back, me and my friends were trying to gather all of the crystals that were scattered throughout the land. We tried to connect them altogether in the frame inside the lighthouse, but Sprout was using his war machine to try and stop us, and... he destroyed it, and I lost a lot of my personal belongings that Dad created for me." She said sadly. "And because he refused to stop, Sprout lost his job. I couldn't reveal it to everypony, but I felt betrayed by him that day."

Zack knew how she felt. "I'm sorry about that." He said softly, but he then raised his eyes. "But, what you were saying about you and your friends bringing magic back to Equestria. Was that really you?"

"It was." Sunny nodded. "You surprised?"

"Very! I didn't knew that! Well, you made a difference in the end, so at least you should be happy with that, right?"

"I was. But, you see, me and my dad used to live in that lighthouse for years, just to keep ourselves isolated from the other earth ponies."

"Why'd you do that?"

"Ever since I was a little filly, I always believed that earth ponies, unicorns and Pegasi used to be friends back in Ancient Equestria centuries ago. Dad used to tell me stories about Twilight Sparkle, how she made so many special friends, and how they all became the Guardians of Harmony."

"Guardians? Like, protectors of the land?"

"Yeah, that sorta thing. And all that time, I kept trying to tell everypony in Maretime Bay that fear wasn't their friend, but they never believed me. Not even Hitch. But that story about the guardians? It was hoofs down one of the greatest stories that Dad ever told me. And I don't think I'll ever forget that." Sunny thought, as she fought back tears of joy.

Zack took all of that in seriously, and something popped up. "Actually, Sunny... I don't know if you'll believe me or not, but... I remember my mom telling me the same exact story when I was a filly, too."

Sunny didn't think she would hear something like that, as she raised her eyebrows. "Wait, you believed the same story like I did? How?"

"You know when you were just telling me on how you tried to make everypony in town believe you? Well, it turns out, I had a similar fate."

"Really? How did it happen?"

"Every day, when I went to school, I kept bringing out every single fact there was about how everypony of all kinds used to be together. But yeah, just like you, they didn't believe any of it. They called me so many things, like a blind cow, a total liar... and I gave up. But deep down, Mom didn't want me to, because she always knew that friendship and harmony would return one day."

In a flashback to when Zack was a little filly, he came back home crying, as he jumped onto his bed and weeped into his pillow. His mother came to comfort him.

"Oh, Zacky Boy, what happened?"

"I give up, Mom. I tried EVERYTHING! And nopony would ever listen to me! They'll never believe me..." Zack weeped.

His mom sighed and puts her hoof on his back. "Baby, you know I always listen to you."

"But they won't... Why do we always have to fear about unicorns and earth ponies and treat them as enemies? That's not like us..."

"Of course it isn't, you know we're nothing like the rest of those ponies. I think you had another rough day, which I know you didn't want to have. So, how about you give me a warm cuddle so we can make you feel better?"

Zack wipes his tears and hugs his mother ever so tightly, and he sits on her legs.

"Did they ever treat you the same way, Mom?"

"Me? When I was a filly? You know me too well, Zacky Boy."

"You tell me everything about you! Like when you used to meet a-"

"I know, I know! I was surprised back then, and I really wish I could do it again. But if they ever found out, that would put both of us in grave danger. You know I don't want that, do you?"

"*sigh* No. But we both know it didn't used to be like this. And I wish we could fly and be friends again..."

"Me too. And I'm not saying you should give up on that dream of ours. I promise you, one day, that time will come. And everypony will know that you were right all along. Just have a little faith." She said, allowing Zack to regain a warm smile. "And, to make things even more better, I have something for you."

"*gasp* Really? What is it?"

Down in the kitchen, Zack's mom went inside the fridge and brought out a delicious chocolate unicorn cake. "Ta-da! Our very own chocolate unicorn cake!"

"WOW! Can I have a try, please? Please, can I?!"

"Of course! Don't have a mouthful, though." Zack eats some of the cake and finds it delicious. "So what's your score?"

"10 outta 10! I LOVE IT!"

"*chuckle* Atta-boy!"

"Why don't you try it?"

"Oh, you're persuading me to try it out? You asked for it!" She eats some it and felt so upbeat. "Best cake EVER!!!" She shouted in joy, as she picks up and twirl hugs Zack, and they both laugh.

"Mom? Can you tell me the story again?"

"Really?"

"Please?"

"Okay, okay, little hero. I'll do it when you're in bed."

A little later on, as Zack was tucked into his bed, his mom has finished the story she's been telling him every single day.

"...and they all lived happily ever after." She read, as she then closed the book. "The end! Again." She said in a happy-to-silly voice, making Zack laugh.

"Would you consider doing a career as a storyteller?"

"Maybe, but I would much prefer that if I were to tell everypony about those stories, not just Pegasi like us."

Zack's face saddened as he sighed. "You know, I still don't understand why we can't be together anymore. It doesn't feel right at all. Why?"

His mother strokes his cheek. "That, Zacky Boy, is a really big question, and it hasn't been answered for years. But maybe one day, you and me will figure it out. It's only a matter of time." She kisses him on the forehead and takes the plate filled with the rest of the cake.

"Do you think there might be somepony out there who would want the same thing like we do?"

"Like the one I've met? Who knows? Maybe they'll be just as special as you are."

"Can I keep the rest of the cake, please?"

"You can finish it off tomorrow. You need that tummy of yours to rest. Sleep is very important, you know." As she walks out of Zack's bedroom, she stops when her son says...

"Goodnight, Mom."

She looks back at him and smiles. "Goodnight, my little pony." She said lovingly, as she turned off the lights, and Zack falls asleep.

"It was that moment when I always had to remind myself, that maybe one day, I would find somepony as special as me. I may have got sidetracked into doing something so hard to be able to have a decent life and all, but... I didn't let all of that go away. Maybe now, that finally came true."

Sunny was wondering where he was coming from, and then, she finally understood. "We wanted the same thing." Zack turned to her. "We... we both wanted magic to come back and have everypony be friends again!"

"Yeah, and-and now, I'm with that pony who went beyond their limits and did it all!"

"And I didn't expect to see somepony who's had the same dream whilst growing up!"

"And I didn't knew it'd be right here!"

The two then became speechless, not knowing what else to say.

"This..."

"This..."

"THIS IS A MIRACLE!!" They both said happily, as they stared at each other, smiling.

"Sunny! What are you doing up there? We gotta move!" Zipp called out.

"Oh, I forgot! The festival!" Sunny said, as she and Zack went back onto the lift.

"*scoff* This was my fault, I'm sorry." Zack said with guilt.

"No, it's okay, I totally get it. I'm actually glad we got to talk and know more about each other."

"Yeah. Yeah, me too."

The lift takes them back down inside to the bedroom.

"So are you... gonna come down, or do you have somewhere else to be?"

"Oh, um, I actually have a day off, so I guess I can go with you and the others? See how the festival's going?"

"Then you may follow... Zack Thunderlane." Sunny smiled, as she walked out of the lift.

"Okay... Sunny Starscout." He replied handsomely, as he followed her.