• Published 5th Nov 2023
  • 948 Views, 30 Comments

Purpose - Admiral Producer



After a devastating betrayal from within cost all of Equestria its magic once more, Misty attempts to come to terms with the role that she played in its downfall, all while struggling to find her purpose in a town that has lost all of it…

  • ...
3
 30
 948

Chapter 1: Past - Betrayal

It wasn’t supposed to be this way…

All I wanted was to be their friend…not be the one to drive them apart…

I just wanted to make up for my mistakes, to finally have somepony to be there for me…the care I always longed for, but never got…

My whole life…all I’ve ever known was cruelty…and I inflicted it upon them in the worst way imaginable.

My whole existence is a curse…I was never meant to be here…I was never meant to be with them.

I thought I would have a different life…

I thought…I would be a different pony…but fate, or should I say she….had other plans for me…


“YOU FAILED TO RETRIEVE THAT DRAGON AGAIN?!!!” Opaline roared, stomping her hooves on the ground in a furious rage.

Misty cowered before the pony she thought of as her mother, bracing for the inevitable scolding she was about to receive. Why couldn’t she do anything right?

It was late evening at the castle and Misty had just gotten home from another failed attempt to steal Sparky from under the noses of her friends. By now, she was used to her constant failure. It used to upset her more, but by now, the outcomes of her missions were starting to come predictable.

She had gotten so close to finally getting the baby dragon, but Hitch had been up that night and took him to the station without a second thought. She knew full well that he did not have the awareness to suspect her, yet he was still on his guard nonetheless. It was obvious that the prospect of losing Sparky spooked him, especially after that one time she had hidden him in the closet. She had sent her friends into a panic that day, and she still regretted inflicting that kind of emotional distress on to them.

Yet she still pressed on, as she knew that it was all worth it. It didn’t matter what bridges she burned in the process. It didn’t matter how many times she had to drag herself through the mud and come out empty hoofed. It didn’t matter how many times she had to put herself on the line and risk her own life to steal Sparky. As long as she got her cutie mark, that was the only thing that mattered. Or was it?

In reality, Misty wasn’t sure. Sure, she could lie to herself and say that she was happy doing these missions. However, she knew full well that wasn’t the case. She hated her missions for Opaline, and it wasn’t due to any lazy reason. She had been raised to be attentive and diligent. No, it was because she had been given something more. Those ponies that she had been sent to spy on were actually nice to her. They cared about her and showed her true kindness when she had none. They showed her what it was like to belong, and they never bossed or ordered her around. They never yelled at her and made her feel miserable all the time. In contrast to Opaline, they actually treated her like family.

It occurred to her that she loved hanging out with her newfound friends more so than doing missions for Opaline. She had become more sloppy and come home later and later, much to the alicorn’s growing anger. And now, here she was. After another failed attempt at stealing Sparky, she was facing Opaline’s wrath the way she always did.

Every single time.

“I-I-I-I’m sorry, O-Opaline,” Misty apologized, stammering on her words. “I-I w-w-would’ve d-done it h-had I-I n-not b-been-“

“BEEN WHAT?!! WHAT?!!” Opaline demanded, getting close to her face. “I SENT YOU TO DO ONE THING!!! ONE THING!!!! WHY IS GETTING THAT PUNY LITTLE LIZARD SO DIFFICULT FOR YOU?!!!”

“Because Hitch nearly found me out!!!!!” Misty cried. “Opaline, please understand!! Our cover was almost blown-“

“You think I care?!” Opaline shot back. “You know, I thought I’d actually have somepony useful. All you do is talk to those puny ponies like you’re friends with them or something!! Did I ever say that you’re allowed to make friends?!!”

“N-n-no, I-“

“I know what you’ve been doing, Misty. Don’t try and fool me!!”

Misty was taken aback by that statement. She thought that she might’ve misheard, maybe even thought it was her mind playing tricks on her. But the reality of the situation was clear as day. Opaline knew. She knew the whole time and was leading her on into thinking she didn’t know.

In that moment, she felt more scared than she had ever felt in her life. She could feel her heart sinking into the deepest trenches of the ocean at the realization and what it meant. Questions began racing through her mind and she searched for anything to say that would refute the sentiment. How did she know about this? Why did she never say anything? She never told her about it, yet Opaline somehow still knew. And that raised the biggest question of all.

How much did Opaline know about the time she had been spending with her friends?

“H-how did you-“

“It was easy to tell,” Opaline stated, smirking deviously, making Misty back away a few steps. “The way you always walk into the castle so happy and jovial. I don’t recall it being from any other source. And why is it that you talk about what you do with them so positively? That time at the sleepover was a dead giveaway. And let’s not even get into the fact that I’ve been spying on you through the compact mirror in order to make sure you were doing your job right.”

Misty had nothing to say to defend herself. She knew it was true and that she would one day have to face the fact that she was slacking off at her job. She didn’t think it would be now, however. She thought she wouldn’t have to come clean until after she got the job done. She didn’t…

“And here I thought you were loyal to me. Don’t you want your cutie mark, Misty?”

“I do!!” Misty insisted. “Please, Opaline! I didn’t know any better, I just-“

“What?!” Opaline asked her angrily. “You thought that making friends would help you?! You thought making friends would make you less of a societal reject than you already are?!! Give me a break. As long as you have no cutie mark and no status in life, nopony will want to be around you.”

Misty glanced at her cutie mark sadly for a brief moment, then she hung her head low in shame. It wasn’t fair that she could never prove herself to Opaline, no matter how hard she tried.

“I will never…” Misty sniffled, wiping her tears away hurriedly. “…be good enough for you…will I? Why can’t you ever be proud of me for at least trying my best…?”

Opaline’s eyes narrowed and she turned away. She stared at the ceiling in deep, solemn contemplation before responding in a quiet manner: “Because she never was…”

“She?”

Opaline snapped her attention back to her, blazing with pent-up anger and rage. “YOU KNOW WHO I’M TALKING ABOUT, MISTY!!!! DON’T BE STUPID!!!!!”

“I’m sorry!!” Misty apologized quickly, her eyes wide with fear. “Please!! I genuinely don’t know!! Forget I ever said anything…”

Opaline sighed with exasperation, staring down her subordinate with pent-up fury that she barely could keep contained. “You really think that these ponies ever loved you?”

“Well…they treated me nicely-“

“You call constantly speaking for you and never trusting a single thing you say ‘treating you nicely?’ They were never your friends, Misty. In fact, I’ve seen where that kind of blind trust leads you. I know what happens when you put too much faith in ponies you don’t know.”

“But they always told me that they care unlike you!” Misty protested angrily. She could feel her emotions rising as Opaline slandered her friends like that. She never let her true feelings out before, but it was clear that the alicorn knew the truth anyway, so she had nothing to lose by saying it. “They made me feel happy in a way you never did! They showed me a life beyond this castle! And at least they didn’t promise to give me something that they had no intentions of giving me!!”

Opaline’s eyes seethed with rage as she walked closer towards Misty. “You think I’m lying about giving you a cutie mark, don’t you?!”

Misty took a cautious step forward. “W-well, it seems that no matter what I do, you…never give me my cutie mark. You never seem to think it’s enough. You even told me a while back that I wasn’t enough.”

“Because you aren’t.”

Misty felt her heart shatter into a million pieces at that. She blinked back the sudden rush of further tears, so she would not look weak in front of Opaline. She wouldn’t cry, crying was for cowards. Emotions weren’t for sharing. She didn’t have emotions. She didn’t-

“At the rate you’re currently going, you’ll never earn it.” Opaline elaborated, turning away and walking back towards her throne. “I don’t reward half-hearted attempts. If you want me to go out of my way and give you something you should’ve naturally received as a filly, then you need to show me that you deserve it.”

“Even though I tried my best?”

“Intentions don’t matter to me,” answered Opaline. “Results do. You will have a place with me in my future empire, but only if you earn it. From what I’ve learned growing up, the only way you’ll truly prove yourself is if you’re willing to risk everything to do so. You’re letting yourself be brainwashed by Sunny Starscout and her friends. That is preventing you from succeeding. You need to cut yourself off from them. They won’t miss you, especially that detective girl. She doesn’t even want you around. So why stay with them and annoy her further?”

“Because the others like me,” Misty said. “I-I mean, Izzy likes me, but-“

“Does she like you for you or only due to the fact that you’re a unicorn?”

“I-“

“You don’t have the answer, do you?”

“N-no!! I do, I-“

“THEN WHAT IS IT?!!”

“I…” Tears began streaming down Misty’s face and this time, she didn’t wipe them away. “I don’t know…”

“Exactly. And does that pegasus like you? Or does she only see you as a means to get information out of? When has she ever told you that she valued you as a friend?”

Misty had no words.

“Or Sunny Starscout, the supposed kindest pony of them all. When has she ever stopped to think about what you want instead of forcing things upon you?”

Again, Misty had no words. She only whimpered, feeling her entire world crumble before her very eyes the more the Fire Alicorn interrogated her. She couldn’t take it. It was too much for her to comprehend. The truth was that she didn’t know her friends all that well. She had only spent a limited amount of time with them. They could’ve been just using her for all she knew. But they wouldn’t do that…right?

“My point has been proven,” Opaline said triumphantly, appearing to take pride in watching her break down. She walked back towards her again. “Now you see it, don’t you? They don’t love you, not the way I do. Remember who took you in as a little filly, who took care of you and raised you. I know you better than you know yourself. And only I can make you whole.”

“But…” Misty looked up at her with a look of pure desperation, tears staining her cheeks. “What will it take? Please…I just want to know…”

“All it takes is getting that dragon to me and cutting ties with your friends,” Opaline told her sadistically. “You have nothing to gain from them. That other unicorn only cares about what you are. That pegasus wants nothing more than to see you gone judging by the way she constantly questions you. The rest of them only tolerate your existence. In contrast, you have everything to gain by fulfilling my one request. Once that dragon is in my possession, you’ll get your cutie mark, simple as that.”

Misty sighed deeply. “Then I’ll do it…I’ll put in all my effort this time, I promise! But…they’ll hate me for it.”

“Let them. You don’t need them to be happy. All you need is the tender care of your mother, Princess Misty.”

Princess. It was that one word that intrigued her the most. If she did this, then she would finally be respected by everypony. She could afford to lose the perceived generosity of five ponies if that meant she would receive the adoration of the millions she would soon rule. She would finally be happy and content if she just fulfilled this one task.

With that, she wiped her tears away once more and stared back at Opaline with a determined expression. “Don’t worry, Opaline! I will not fail you this time, I promise. Tonight, I’ll get your dragon no matter what the cost!”

“You better,” said Opaline darkly. “Because if you fail me again, Misty…don’t bother coming back to the castle. See if your ‘friends’ will be there for you when you have nothing left to offer them. This is your last chance.”



Later that night, Misty lay in her small dog bed and eyed the picture of she and her friends next to her. This would be the last time they would be together and she knew it. Once she fully committed to the mission, there would be no going back. She had the means of improving her life, and she was not going to waste it. She was going to fulfill the destiny and become the pony she was always meant to be.

Yet why did it still feel a bit wrong? She knew her friends didn’t care about her by this point, but when she looked at the photo, she couldn’t help but have some doubts. She was smiling in it, they were all having fun. Did she really want to throw all that away all for a meaninglessness symbol on her flank? She didn’t even know if Opaline would even keep her promise. So what if she was a blank flank for the rest of her life? So what if her friends were just lying to her too? She was happier with them. She could afford to pretend for the rest of her life and enjoy a life of delusion rather than face the cold hard truth.

She didn’t need to throw all her perceived friendships away for this…did she? She had the chance to back out now and tell Opaline to suck it. But at the same time, what if Opaline was telling the truth? What if she threw away the only chance for her to be special all for some unattainable fantasy? Her life with the alicorn was all she ever knew. She wouldn’t even be alive if it wasn’t for Opaline discovering her and taking her in. She owed everything to her, and she couldn’t take such a chance.

She was risking it all and she knew it. But what other choice did she have? The truth was, she didn’t have any. She was stuck between a rock and a hard place. It was either she committed to carrying out the deed for Opaline or she spent the rest of her life out in the world alone. She had never felt more helpless in her life as the reality set in that she would be forced to choose between two lives.

She sat up and took the portrait in her hooves, firmly grasping it and staring longingly at it for about a minute. That picture had always represented what she believed to be true happiness, yet she didn’t even know what that was anymore. She shed a single tear, which landed on the spot right where she was positioned. Sniffling, she held it up close to her face and fully took in what she was about to do, the pain and suffering she was about to bring, all for the slim chance of finally being loved by the pony who raised her.

“I don’t have much of a choice, do I…?” she asked it through sobs. “I don’t know if any of you really care…nor do I even know if Opaline does either…” She set the portrait down on her pillow. “Why is doing the right thing so hard…?”

The Misty in the portrait stared back at her, forever frozen in that eternal smile next to the other ponies. It couldn’t say anything back, nor give her any advice. It didn’t console her, nor did it condemn her. It simply was.

“What is my purpose…?” she pleaded. “Please tell me…”

Again, the Misty in the portrait didn’t respond, simply staring back at her with that big, fake smile. It was that smile that truly irked her, for it was a life she knew that she could never have. It was a facade that masked the abuse she had been suffering through for years. She had done everything for Opaline for well over a decade, yet her efforts weren’t enough. Shewasn’t enough. And she would never be until she could prove that she was actually useful and get that dragon.

Her own thoughts were echoing Opaline’s words to her now. She could feel the last remnants of joy slipping away as the beautiful lie began to be replaced by the life she really lived. She never had any chance with them. She wasn’t like them, and she never would be. It was clear to her now that her friends were just leading her on. After all, why would they have any reason to love an abnormal orphan like her? She wasn’t special. She didn’t have anything to offer them. The only reason why they ever accepted her was because of the things she lied to them about.

They would never accept her if she told them the truth.

With reluctant resolve, she turned away from the photo and looked out the window. As she gazed out into the wasteland below, she turned her thoughts away from friendship and love and towards loyalty and obedience. She had a job to do. This was necessary.

“My name is Misty…” she whispered quietly. “My name is all I have. My life is my servitude. My dreams are my reality. Her victory is my defeat…”

She then turned back to the photo behind her and picked it up one last time. Following one last sad expression and with steady resolve, she threw it onto the ground, where it shattered upon impact into a thousand shards of broken glass.


The area around the Crystal Brighthouse was silent under the light of the full moon. There were no ponies out and about around the area. No owls were hooting nor crickets chirping. Not even the occasional bat could be heard flying around at this time.

It was as if nature itself knew about the tragedy that what was about to befall this peaceful town in just a few short moments.

Inside, Misty ate dinner with Sunny and her friends in the kitchen. The earth pony had cooked up a large pepperoni pizza with cheese, one of her favorite recipes to make. As she consumed the food, Misty savored each and every last bite, fully taking in the experience of being with them one last time. She knew that her time with these ponies was coming to an end, and she barely said anything to them during the experience. The reason for this was because she didn’t want to become too attached to them once again and falter in her mission.

Not that they seemed to mind. They didn’t ask where she was nor where she went to in every day. It was like her whereabouts didn’t even matter to them. The fact that none of them showed any sort of concern was of great sadness to her. She began to think that Opaline might’ve been right the whole time. They were all lost in their own conversations and none paid her any mind. Izzy did glance at her at one point, but the moment of attention was fleeting as Pipp grabbed her attention right back faster than a millisecond.

So Misty sat at the other end without anypony to talk to, a fitting last night with the ponies she once trusted. By this point, she was convinced that they didn’t care about her after all and she felt her heart grow heavier with sadness with each passing moment. It was like she didn’t belong anywhere.

Finally, it was time for bed. As Misty prepared to head upstairs to the bedrooms, she was suddenly halted in her tracks by a lavender hoof touching her back. She turned, startled, only to see Izzy behind her with a concerned look on her face.

“Hey,” Izzy asked gently. “Are you okay? You seemed kinda out of it at the table.”

Oh now you care? How convenient. Misty shook her head, not letting her thoughts distract her. “I’m fine. I’m just…heading up to bed.”

Izzy nodded. “You know you’re valued here, right? We care about you. You’re our friend. Don’t…ever forget that.”

“What brought that up?” Misty inquired, confused.

“Zipp told me about how she made up with you back at the library,” Izzy replied. “Some of the things she reported you saying…concerned me a bit. Don’t ever feel like you don’t have a place just because you don’t have a cutie mark, alright? I once thought I was alone too. And then I found Sunny and the others. So I learned that it’s never too late to find those that love you.”

Misty felt her heart warm again, even if it was just for a few seconds. She took in the moment as she knew it would be her last. “Did you…know I was feeling lonely back there?”

“I did,” Izzy affirmed gently. “And I wanted to talk to you, I really did. But Pipp was too busy yammering about her new potion line. I didn’t contaminate it this time, I promise!”

Misty laughed. “I know you didn’t.” But her smile instantly faded as the reality of her situation set in once more. “Izzy…I know what I have to do tonight. I can’t tell you what it is, but…I don’t feel good about it. And…I’m not sure I have the strength to pull it off.”

Izzy smiled back at her. “Hey, don’t talk like that. I know you do. Whatever it is, you’ll get through it just fine! You know what I always say about us unicorns, we-“

“…never stop persevering.” Misty finished, remembering what the other unicorn had told her before. “But…I don’t understand. How’s this relevant to my situation?”

“Elder Flower always told me this saying,” Izzy explained. “As a filly, she practically raised me after…well, after my parents were chased out of Bridlewood following some scandal. We don’t really have any orphanages, so she’s practically the mother to everypony. She told me this whenever I was feeling down. It’s the oldest saying, dating back to several generations of unicorns.”

“Not every problem has a solution though…”

“True,” Izzy agreed. “But certain problems do have solutions. And there’s nothing broken that we can’t fix together.” She placed a comforting hoof on Misty’s shoulder. “I can tell you’ve been through a lot. Your sparkle is very dim. You’re doubting yourself.”

Misty sniffled, nodding back. “I can’t do this, Izzy. You won’t think of me the same after this. You’ll hate me!” She felt tears rush to her eyes again.

“Shhhh…” Izzy soothed her, looking at her in the eyes. “Look, I don’t know what you’re planning on doing, but whatever it is…I won’t hate you, okay? You have nothing to worry about.”

Misty looked up from the ground and faced her. “Really? You…promise you won’t hate me after tonight?”

“I promise,” Izzy promised her. “I don’t know what you’re gonna do, but…I’ll never stop being your friend.” She yawned. “I have to go sleepies now. Goodnight, Misty, and…thank you for giving me somepony to confide in…”

At that, the lavender unicorn skipped merrily upstairs to her room, humming softly to herself. That was the last time Misty would ever see her under carefree circumstances.

Once all the lights were off and she was alone, Misty stood by the ramp in deep thought. At this point, she felt more conflicted than ever before. What was she to do? She knew that she had to get back to Opaline by a certain time, so it was either now or never. She had to make a choice and stick with it.

She doesn’t even care whether you leave or stay. The cynical part of her mind returned. It’s time you show that unicorn that you’re more than just a mouthpiece for her own problems.

But she actually showed genuine love there! I can’t- Misty mentally argued.

Do you want to impress Opaline or not? You heard her. If you don’t get Sparky, then she’s not welcoming you back. You’ll be left on the streets alone once more, all because you thought you knew better than your own mother!

“No!!” Misty cried out loud. “I don’t want-“ She instantly put her hoof to her mouth before she could finish her sentence. She didn’t want to awake her friends and alert them to her attempt. She had only one shot at this. There was no more time for doubt.

She had to get the job done whether she wanted to or not.

So she headed outside and searched for the most effective way inside that wouldn’t disturb any of the other ponies. She knew that just going up the ramp would arose suspicion since the floor tended to creak when anyone headed up. Her best attempt was silently climbing through an open window and evading suspicion.

She climbed the walls of the Brighthouse and upon reaching the window to the bedroom, she found it miraculously unlocked. Sunny usually left the two windows open to let air in while they slept, so that provided the perfect cover for her to get in.

But right as she was about to reach the window, her hooves began to slip and she grabbed on to the nearest ledge for dear life, gritting her teeth as she hoisted herself up and onto the window. It was there where she gently crept inside. She didn’t know whether Sparky would be in the room, considering he mostly slept with Hitch at the station.

Thankfully, he was. The sheriff had brought him over that night, thinking nothing would go wrong and gave him his own little bed to sleep on beside him. Misty slowly walked over towards him, fear on every inch of her face, until she was face to face with the elusive baby dragon himself, his small frame sleeping soundly and occasionally burping out magic bubbles.

She stood over him, resisting the urge to pet him and wake him up. She had to stay stoic and calm. She couldn’t afford to be defeated by his cuteness. Not this time, at least. Once she was done with him, she would take him right back.

Unfortunately for her, it was around this time that Sparky began stirring, sensing another presence in front of him. He opened his eyes and saw her. His expression changed from confusion to terror and he was moments away from crying up a storm and ruining everything.

“No no!!” Misty exclaimed fearfully, but quieted her voice upon seeing Hitch stir. “Sparky, shhhhhh…it’s me. You wanna, um….hear a lullaby?” What in the name of might was she doing? She couldn’t sing…could she? Well, she was about to find out.

In response, Sparky gurgled happily and clapped his claws. Misty sighed and began softly singing the only lullaby Opaline had ever sang to her as a filly. “🎵Hush now, quiet now, it’s time to lay your sleepy head…hush now…quiet now, it’s time to go to bed…🎵” She cringed at herself for stumbling over the last few lyrics, but it was apparently enough.

Sparky’s eyes slowly closed and he was asleep faster than he had woken up. Misty breathed a sigh of relief and scooped him up in her hooves. It was at that moment that it finally registered to her that she had finally done it! She had successfully dragonnapped Sparky Sparkeroni, the one source of the most potent magic in Equestria, and the very creature whose absence rendered Opaline powerless to take back what was rightfully hers.

Now if she could only get out of the building without being caught…

She began walking slowly past all of her friends’ bedsides as carefully as she could. However, just as she was about to walk out the door, she skidded to a halt upon seeing Izzy’s bedside. The poor unicorn had treated her better than anypony else when she first came into town, and she was about to break her heart.

Her eyes brimmed with tears as she gazed upon the sleeping unicorn. This was it. She was about to lose everything. All of those memories that she spent with those ponies, even if they weren’t genuine…gone in a snap. They would shame her, condemn her. They would never forgive her if she went through with what she did.

For a moment, she felt like putting Sparky back and accepting her punishment of being disowned. This wasn’t worth it. She didn’t have the willpower to go through with this. She couldn’t do it. She couldn’t break Izzy’s heart like that. Not after everything she did and the conversation they had earlier.

But she also knew that she had gone too far to back out now. She had Sparky in her hooves. They wouldn’t believe her if she tried to explain herself. All they would see is their little companion being abducted by somepony they trusted. She couldn’t stop now even if she wanted to. She had already resigned herself to the consequences of her decision, and she could not turn back.

She was no longer their friend. She was their enemy. But that didn’t mean that she couldn’t say one final goodbye.

“Thank you for believing in me, Izzy…” Misty murmured through tears, feeling her heart break with each word spoken. “Goodbye…”

And with that, without a second thought, she hurriedly slammed the door behind her and sprinted down the ramp with Sparky in her hooves. She could sense the adrenaline rushing through her and her heart pounding as she raced towards the double doors, telling herself over and over: “Stay strong, Misty…”

With tremendous effort, she burst through the doors and ran outside, feeling the cool night air assault her face. The wind blew her mane back and the Moon shone right above her. She had done it. At long last, she had Sparky! The realization that she had finally succeeded after all this time reinvigorated her and she began running more quickly. A big smile lit up her face and she clutched Sparky tight as she ran faster and faster.

Once she was far enough from town, she began shouting to the heavens about her victory, feeling all of the doubt she had built up wash away like a tidal wave.

“I-I did it!” Misty exclaimed. “I finally have Sparky! I FINALLY HAVE SPARKY!!!! WHOOOOO!!!!” She couldn’t contain it anymore. She was so happy! Now this was what true fulfillment looked like. She couldn’t wait to tell Opaline the news. Oh the alicorn would be so proud of her! She would shower her with praise and tell her how much she loved her. She would tell her how proud she was of her.

Surprisingly, Sparky slept through all of it, not even stirring despite being in earshot of her loud yelling. He just continued to lightly snore as she took victory lap after victory lap, jumping and prancing at random intervals.

After dancing around one final time, she ran off into the horizon and towards the direction of the castle, all the while shouting Opaline’s name.

Author's Note:

And the Saga is back, baby!! Let’s go!! This story was originally meant to be a simple one-shot prequel that would’ve ended with this chapter, but I decided to expand it into its own narrative story after many people wanted to see what happened after The Fall of Opaline. We’ll get there when we do, but I want to talk about this chapter for a bit.

One of the big curiosities for many of you going into Worthless probably was: How did Misty steal Sparky? I mean, I answered the question via description, but y’all know the oldest rule of storytelling, which is show, don’t tell. I’ve always been curious about writing a story about the heist itself and what led up to it as a sort of companion piece to Worthless, but with the narrative of the Misty Saga getting more and more complex with each entry, that kind of simpler story fell to the wayside quite a bit as I was much more interested in telling this Tolkien-esque epic narrative leading up to and showing the final battle against Opaline. But I finally got down to writing it and with “Missing The Mark” kinda unintentionally adapting my work in Make Your Mark Chapter 4, I figured now would be the perfect time to finally write this chapter.

I hope you all enjoyed and I made sure to read Worthless as carefully as possible in order to keep the continuity on point one year later. Still got three more chapters to go, but hang in there. You’re gonna love what comes next. See you all soon!