• Published 23rd May 2023
  • 679 Views, 23 Comments

Any Way the Air Flows - Nukepony360



Follow the normally tame life of the batpony Airflow, air mare extraordinaire, as she sets to raising an entire nation's standards in air quality, one HVAC system at a time!

  • ...
1
 23
 679

Prologue

April 26th, 1013 ANMM1

The single, oversized CRT television hummed to life with a weighty click. Light buzzing of static filled the otherwise deathly quiet room as the signal was carefully tuned to the proper frequency.

"-ould be yours for just three easy payments of 49.99B! Call toda-"

A light click, a KZZRT, and the next channel cycled forward.

"-cast. Clear skies in Ponyville scheduled through Wednesday, with cloud cover getting thicker as the weekend approach-"

KZZRT

"-VER LOVED ME!"

"Minty, I can explain!"

"Explain WHAT?! That you having a secret herd is all just a misunder-"

KZZRT

"-ial guest this afternoon is a top-tier mailmare, who isn't so happy about her fan-popular nickname! Please give a warm welcome to Shitfu-"

KZZRT

"-teen dead. Tragedy struck Manehattan's industrial district at approximately 10:54 ECE2 this morning, just a few hours ago. A violent chemical leak from the 'Natural Process Chemical Plant' flooded its interior with caustic gasses, leaving many herds and families to mourn their beloveds," a tan newsmare stated seriously.

The camera flipped to a different newspony. "Yes, a terrible day for Manehattan and its ponies, Soapbox," a lime-green stallion continued. "First responders were left scrambling for their protective gear as the chemicals began to breach the plant's exterior, mandating an evacuation and subsequent quarantine of the immediate area. As of now, it is unknown how long it will take for the hazard crews to decontaminate the affected blocks and buildings, leaving many hard working ponies without homes for the time being."

"That's right, Vox. Here in a moment we'll get word from our reporter on the scene, Wide Aperture."

The view changed to a light-grey mare with bright yellow eyes. "Afternoon, Soapbox, Vox Populi."

"What's the situation looking like, Aperture?"

"Uhuh. Things aren't pretty just outside of the chemical quarantine," the reporter started. She gestured to a hastily-erected series of structures, bearing various medical and emergency personnel badges. "Several of Manehattan's finest fireponies have received injuries from the substances eating right through their equipment, requiring more specialized hazard teams to search the scene and begin decontamination."

"Wow, that's quite frightening! You certainly can't tell at first glance exactly how dangerous it is. Vox?"

"Well said. And what- Did uh, any of the hazard teams find anything of interest during their searches, Aperture?"

"Yes, actually! Oilspill, the Hazard Chief, has informed us that the search teams were able to recover a single lucky survivor. A 52-year-old batpony ventilation technician, whose identity remains a mystery until more information is found. She is unable to speak and is hanging on by a thread due to the horrible injuries sustained by being so close to the spill. Its uncertain if she will survive the hospital stay, but we can only hope to Celestia that's the case. That's all I have for now, I'll keep HQ posted. Back to you, Soapbox."

The channel focused on both newsponies once again. "Thank you, Aperture. Incredible news, a survivor! What a truly lucky soul to have come out of such a disaster alive."

"Or unlucky, depending on your view. We all hope she makes it through the night, but only time will tell how her life will look a few years from now. Surely stuff that can eat through firepony gear is no good for somepony's lungs."

"Right you are, Vox. Coming up next, hear how some theorize that the chemical accident... was no accident! More at 2 p.m. ECE with-"

Click
KZT

Two silhouettes reflected off of the now dark TV screen, silence once again having taken hold. The stallion turned to his assistant. The mare returned his gaze.

"Too coincidental," the mare mused.

"Agreed," the stallion replied. "Who do they supply?"

"Foresight Natural Remedies. Pharmaceutical company. Mostly snake oil, head office changes address every two months."

"They even have the same acronym..." the stallion growled, turning away.

"We should see to it that we find whoever that survivor was before they do," she suggested. "No doubt they won't be happy about a loose end."

"Right then," He mumbled, tapping his chin with a red-furred hoof. "Hmm..."

"Sir?"

He turned back to her with a wide grin. "I think it's time we expand to Manehattan!" he nearly shouted, and draped a foreleg over her shoulder. "Let's give this new medical branch a test run. After all, we already have our first patient!" The stallion gleefully gestured at the TV.

The mare swiveled to face her reflection. The powered-off CRT stared back at her stark-white visage grimly. "It seems we do."

Author's Note:

1 - After Nightmare Moon
2 - Eastern Coast Equestria timezone