• Published 9th May 2023
  • 147 Views, 1 Comments

Breaking the Day - Airyona



A Pax Solaris themed Fanfic about the Siege of Canterlot.

  • ...
 1
 147

Sunset at Sunrise

A new day had dawned, the radiant light of the Goddess casting its glow upon the halls of Canterlot Castle, now transformed into a formidable fortress. Though the architecture had undergone significant changes, Sunset found navigating its familiar layout a relatively easy task as she made her way to the throne room—a place she had entered countless times before. However, the atmosphere was tense; the Civil War had not progressed in their favor, and expressing such concerns to Daybreaker could jeopardize her reputation and status.

Passing through the double doors, Sunset momentarily slowed her advance, taking a brief moment to gaze upon the stained glass windows. It could very well be the last time she saw them intact.

The first window depicted a sorrowful Celestia standing amidst the skeletal remains of ponies, with a raging inferno burning in the background. The eyes were drawn upward to a towering Daybreaker, her stretched wings silhouetted by the sun, emanating an aura of burning rage.

Across the hall, the stained glass window that once showcased Twilight's ascension to an Alicorn had been transformed into a depiction of her role as an inquisitor within the Empire. The insignia of the Inquisition dominated the background, surrounded by shades of red, orange, and yellow. A confident portrayal of the once Princess of Friendship showed Daybreaker's wings extending down from the top, enveloping the sides of the glass, while her head looked down at Twilight with a motherly smile.

Continuing along the white marble columns, She encountered the next window; which portrayed a beach scene with the sun setting on the horizon. Daybreaker stood triumphantly before a less-than-enthusiastic depiction of Queen Chrysalis being impaled upon a piece of ship fencing before a wrecked submarine.

Lastly, a pane depicted Solar Troopers on the right side with a jagged blackened crystal representing King Sombra across from them. In the backdrop, a ruined Crystal City served as a stark reminder of the empire's heroism. However, it conveniently omitted the fact that they were the ones who summoned Sombra in the first place and used him to weaken the Crystal Kingdom’s defenses, leaving them desperate and unable to fight back.

But enough time had been wasted admiring the windows; it was time to focus on what lay beyond them. She pushed open the doors, entering the Empress's throne room. The echoing sound of her hooves filled the air as she made her way toward Daybreaker, who sat atop a throne adorned with a semi-circle of fire at its back. As her chosen's arrival caught her attention, Daybreaker straightened herself, her expression transitioning to one of neutrality, yet still radiating the authority of a disappointed parent.

Her voice resounded through the room as she uttered a single word. "Report."

Sunset paused before the throne, just outside the reach of the radiant heat from the flames. It served as a gauge of Daybreaker's anger, should she sense the heat intensify. Clearing her throat, Sunset spoke sternly, "Daily duties have been carried out as expected. The Imperial Guard has been mentally reinforced and is prepared. The shelling of Ponyville continues, although we are starting to deplete our reserves in the Caverns to sustain it." Sunset paused briefly, noticing no change in the heat, before continuing, "Prince Blueblood and Marshal Eclipse have relocated their army group to Trotland and are fortifying their positions along the Ghastly Gorge." Her tone shifted, displaying a mix of confusion and confidence, which piqued Daybreaker's interest as she raised an eyebrow and looked down at Sunset. "You may ask your question."

"It's just... Why? Why not have them attack Ponyville now? Prince Blueblood has a significant number of veteran troops from the Changeling Occupation Zones at his disposal. They could easily overpower the rebel soldiers. And why even redeploy them? I know you could destroy them all right now, and yet we're simply waiting. Why?" Sunset began to shift uncomfortably, her posture becoming tense as she questioned her Empress's strategy, but she desired to understand nonetheless. Surprisingly, the flames did not grow hotter.

"You're correct. I could obliterate them all in a glorious inferno. To claim the lives of these misguided children in one fell swoop. However, it wouldn't be a victory; it would be a massacre. By effortlessly killing so many of my own without remorse, it would only fuel further bloodshed as they are made martyrs and everyone loves a good underdog story." Daybreaker paused, taking a deep breath before exhaling loudly. "As for my nephew and his ‘wife’, their position is deliberately conspicuous and open to reconnaissance. I want them to know we're here and to provoke them into action. They've come too far to abandon the siege now. To be either caught between the most fanatical and experienced armies of the Solar Empire or alternatively, they could choose a suicidal charge and break themselves against the fortress we've built here. Our defensive stance portrays our actions as self-defense, making them less impactful even if the casualties are equivalent to a massacre caused by my own hooves."

Sunset nodded and replied, "But what about the Changeling Occupation? Can Lightning Dust handle that on her own?"

"Lightning Dust has the necessary resources to maintain control over the hives for a few months at most, until the Prince resumes his duties there. Moreover, it will provoke the Changeling loyalists to act recklessly in their attempt to seize this opportunity."

"Understood, my Empress. I have no further concerns."

"Keep in mind, Sunset. I want the Royal Family captured alive, along with most of the command, for interrogation. The presence of foreign equipment will serve as ample justification. First-hoof confessions regarding their dealings will be more than sufficient for conquests across the sea, reminding the world that no one is beyond the reach of MY wrath." The heat intensified as Sunset nodded. "If that's all, you are dismissed, my Guardian."

Sunset bowed her head and turned to leave. "Yes, ma'am. May your light guide us to a brighter future."

The Empress smiled, "Leaving no shadows for our enemies to hide in."