• Published 26th Sep 2012
  • 1,784 Views, 17 Comments

No One Is Taking My Wings - Chesterfeather



Join Roseluck in her final moments as a pegasus while she recollects her story with an old friend.

  • ...
1
 17
 1,784

Chapter 1 - Roseluck and Flight Camp

We all harbor grave memories. As ponies, our minds do well to forget, pushing down the bad to make room for the good. And, well . . .

I'm filled with bad memories. That's why I try not to let the past bubble to the surface—it'd only get worse, and I don't want to relive that nightmare. Yeah, yeah, I know things can't get much worse.

Why are you asking me, anyway? You were there for most of it. You remember, don't you?

. . .

Oh, I see. You wouldn't have known. Fine, I'll tell you. But only because it's you. I was just a filly, you know.

. . .

Yes, long ago. Let me try to recall how it all happened.

--------------------

“I don't want my wings removed!”

“I'm sorry, Roseluck. It's the safest course of action.”

The raspberry-maned filly stared in disbelief within her hospital bed. “I'm a pegasus! You can't fly—you don't know how it is. I want to go to a pegasus hospital!” She winced as a quick jolt of pain shot through her bandaged wings.

“Please, don't strain yourself. You just woke up.” The earth pony doctor's calm, listless voice did little to soothe Roseluck. Casting a soft glance upon her, he sighed before slowly scanning his chart once more. “I understand how you feel, but you were born with this defect. It cannot be cured.”

“Then . . . then do something. Anything else.”

The doctor shook his head. “This disease is degenerative in nature. You may feel only discomfort and pain now, but as you get older, the muscles in your wings will deteriorate further. Letting this go would only make things worse, I'm afraid.”

Roseluck stared straight ahead, silent.

A quick series of beeps interrupted the moment, prompting the doctor to check his pager and frown. “I'll be right back, sweetheart. Get some rest. You've been through much already, it would seem.” Leaving the chart by the edge of the bed, he plodded out of the room.

Alone, the pale-yellow pegasus tried to hold still to keep from disturbing her wings. It had only been a few weeks since she had learned to fly. Having assumed that the steady, dull pain that came with flapping her wings was natural for a new flier, she ignored it and pushed ahead each time with a forced smile. Even her parents had not noticed.

Her parents.

“Mom?” Roseluck called out to no one in particular. “Dad? Where are you? Please . . .”

Unable to remember just how she ended up at the hospital, she nervously looked around before slowly climbing out of bed. She drew back a nearby curtain, half-expecting to see one of her parents, but found an empty bed. Biting her lip, she moved up to a window and looked outside. Dark remnants of last night's storm still hung in the sky. Roseluck suppressed a sudden urge to call for her parents out the window.

As she walked back to her bed, she noticed the chart at its edge. Sensing no one returning, she took a quick look, skimming the doctor's scrawling.


. . . wing muscle dystrophy . . .

. . . long-term issue . . .

. . . suspected since birth . . .


Her eyes wandered to the bottom of the page.


. . . cause isolated . . .

. . . wing amputation necessary . . .

. . . parents—


A pair of muffled voices in the hallway broke her concentration. Roseluck quickly scurried over to look out the glass pane of her door and noticed the doctor speaking with a mare nurse.

“. . . no, she isn't going to cooperate.” His deep, languid voice seemed to reverberate.

“That doesn't matter! Doctor Zealheart, you can't do this to a filly. Her body is still growing. With the right treatment, we can promote muscle restoration and repair her wings.”

“No. The procedure will occur as planned.”

The nurse's voice began to waver. “She is too young for this. Her parents would never allow it!”


Yeah, I said Zealheart.

. . .

Yeah, I know. Don't interrupt me.


“They aren't a problem anymore. I've made it my decision now, and those little pegasus wings are the perfect chance to advance my study—”

The nurse slapped Zealheart across the face, but he remained steady. A wan smile creeping across his lips, he walked closer, causing the nurse to step backward.

“My dear, let's have a word in my office.” He firmly led her out of sight.

Roseluck peered out the glass for another moment before dashing back over to her chart, reading its last line more carefully.


Patient's parents deceased and unable to give consent; experimental procedure authorized by Doctor Zealheart.


“Deceased?” she repeated softly. The sentence not yet set in her mind, she slowly recalled the previous night. She had been caught in an electrical storm, trapped and surrounded by charged clouds. Everything around her rumbled loudly, and lightning relentlessly tore through the air. For what seemed like hours, she cowered, too fearful to move, until she caught a glimpse of her parents in the distance, flying to her aid.

The last thing she remembered was an ear-splitting crackle and a flash of light.

Before she could process it all, she heard a single set of heavy, unhurried hoofsteps in the hallway. Ripping her chart from the clipboard and unwinding her bandages, she rushed to the window and opened it.

“You're not taking my wings,” she whispered to herself. “No one is taking my wings.” With one last glance toward the door, she vaulted outside and instantly took to the air. She ignored the burning pain now screaming through her wings and climbed ever higher into the sky, her sight of the earthbound hospital fading beneath layers of clouds.

--------------------

Yes, that was me, like I said. Be patient and you'll understand.

I soared into the sky as fast as my wings could take me. I didn't care about the pain—I just wanted to get as far away as possible. I must have spent hours flying, perhaps even the greater part of the day, desperate to put distance between me and that earth pony hospital.

Exhausted, I collapsed atop the highest collection of clouds I could see. At the time, I didn't know where I was.

Frankly, I didn't care either.

--------------------

One Week Later

The loud grumbling of her stomach no longer startled Roseluck. Whatever cloud city she found herself in for the past few days, it was certainly difficult to find free food.

As soon as she had arrived, she occupied herself with an admittedly fruitless search; however, every time she slowed down to rest, the prospect of being found stirred her to action once more.

She did not dare ask anypony else for help. In a way, she knew her anxiety was irrational. After all, none would recognize her this far away from home, and the doctor could not fly. Regardless, the memory of his slow hoofsteps, odd smile, and sinister words were enough to instill fear.

Enough days passed to convince Roseluck that she was better off scrounging for bits, and a few lucky finds brought her to look for more at a nearby flight camp. Ignoring the young fillies and colts practicing overhead, she kept her nose down.

“Hey!” called a young voice.

Roseluck ignored it and continued searching.

A rainbow-maned filly landed right in front of her, an eager smile across her face. “I said, 'hey!' Why aren't you flying with us?” She twisted her brow. “Did you lose something?”

Roseluck glanced up briefly but soon returned to her busywork.

“You're not from around here, are you?” The filly looked around. “Where are your parents?”

“Parents . . .” Roseluck slowly repeated. She turned her head up and saw several stands filled with adult ponies, each one cheering for their children floating above the field.

“Yeah. Uh, so . . . I'm Rainbow Dash. What's your name?”

She held still for a moment, taking a short breath and looking into the filly's eyes. “Roseluck,” she said. “My name is Roseluck.”

“That's a nice name. Come on, Roseluck! Let's fly!”

“No, I don't want to.”

Rainbow Dash giggled. “This is flight camp! You're supposed to fly.” She stepped toward Roseluck and gave her a soft nudge. “C'mon! It'll be fun!”

“I said 'no.' Now leave me alone!” Roseluck roughly pushed her away and ran off. Despite her best efforts, her legs were no match for Rainbow Dash's wings, and the cyan-colored filly caught up to her effortlessly.

“What's wrong? I just want to play!”

“Go away, Rainbow whatever-your-name-is!”

“It's Rainbow Dash!”

Roseluck slowed down, panting, her hunger-fueled fatigue having sapped her will to escape. “Fine, 'Dash,' whatever,” she said between gasps, “but unless you have food or bits, I . . . I can't . . .” Her stomach chimed in with a well-timed grumble. Roseluck looked down. “I'm so hungry.”

Rainbow Dash placed a hoof on her shoulder. “Come with me. I'll give you my lunch.”

--------------------

You really couldn't tell, huh? Yeah, that was me.

Well, that's enough of reliving the past. The rest isn't important.

. . .

All right, all right! I'll tell you the rest. I figure I owe you after everything I've done. I have time to kill, anyway.

Well, I hid in the camp, as you know. It's not like I enjoyed it, given my wings. I didn't dare tell you about them. At the time, all I cared about was staying invisible. Staying away from Zealheart.

. . .

No, I didn't even know if he was searching for me. But, I was a frightened filly. I assumed the worst.

At least I had you.

--------------------

One Week Later

With Rainbow Dash's help, Roseluck managed to blend in as a flight camp attendee. Food and shelter no longer an issue, she tried to understand exactly what had happened to her.

Her parents were gone, but she dared not cry—all she needed was the wrong pony asking the right questions, and she would be sent back to the hospital. Her wings were not any better. Staying grounded kept her pain to a minimum, but it seemed to become more and more difficult to maintain excuses not to fly.

The more she thought about her situation, the clearer it became; there was nothing she could do but take things one day at a time.

Rainbow Dash made sure each of those days was exciting—especially as her camp cabinmate. The two of them relaxed alone in their bunk beds, Roseluck reading, Rainbow Dash daydreaming, both waiting for dinner call.

“Hey, Roseluck!” Rainbow Dash called out excitedly.

No response.

“Hello? I'm talking to you.” Rainbow Dash, sitting on the top bunk, started rocking the bed.

“What? Hey!” Roseluck snapped to her senses. “Quit it, Rainbow—you'll make the bed fall on me.”

“That's not gonna happen. Besides, I had to do something to get your attention. You never respond to me.”

“I'm sorry. I'm still getting used to it.”

Rainbow Dash poked her head over the side of the bed, craning her neck to face her. “Used to what?”

“You know,” Roseluck continued, biting her lip, “all this. Flight camp.”

“Yeah, it's pretty cool, huh? You oughta fly more often,” she said with a smirk. “You really owe me, you know. This camp is hard enough to get into as it is.”

“Well, thanks. Now let me keep reading, please.”

“Okay, okay.” Rainbow Dash moved back up and lay down on her bed, but no sooner after shutting her eyes did she perk back up. “Wait, reading? Where'd you even find a book around here?”

Roseluck hesitated. “I stole it from the town library.”

With a giggle, Rainbow Dash jumped down and trotted over to the bottom bunk, trying to get a closer look. “I guess that'd make reading more exciting. What is this book, anyway?”

Roseluck mumbled something softly and leaned away, hiding the book's cover. Taking it as an invitation to roughhouse, Rainbow Dash grinned and jumped into the bed, grabbing the cover of the book with her teeth and wresting it out of her grip. Undaunted, Roseluck bit onto the other end and yanked back.

The two locked in a cover-to-cover tug-of-war, each one snarled louder with every pull. At last, the book slid out of both their mouths simultaneously, causing them to tumble backward and off the bed.

Before Roseluck could recover, Rainbow Dash jumped forward and grabbed the book. With a cocked brow, she slowly read the cover. “My Little Chemist: Beginner Potions. Hah, what is this?”

Roseluck wordlessly snatched the book back and faced the corner, blushing.

“Hey, I'm sorry,” said Rainbow Dash, scratching her neck. “I was just curious. I think it's cool, really! Is that your, um, special talent? Potions?”

Roseluck relaxed her tense posture but remained still. “I-I think. One day, maybe.”

“I usually don't like books and stuff, but potions sound like fun. Don't they have some that can make you fly really fast, or do cool tricks, or make you look awesome? I'd like one of those!” Rainbow Dash grinned sheepishly. “Can you make one for me?”

A slight smile crept along the edges of Roseluck's mouth as she slowly turned around. “You mean it? It's not stupid?”

“No way! It's totally awesome!”

Now fully beaming, Roseluck rushed into a hug with her friend. “Okay, Rainbow! I'll make you one someday.”

--------------------

What'd you say?

. . .

Yeah, you're right. Even with my condition, those were good days. You were a great . . . well, my only friend. You helped me so much.

I would have done anything for you.

--------------------

Later That Night

Roseluck awoke from her light slumber, opening her eyes to greet darkness. A quick glance at the starry sky outside the window confirmed that it was still much too early to get up.

“Rainbow, I can't sleep,” she said softly. Quietly rolling out of her lower bunk, she looked up but could not see her friend's familiar rainbow mane or tail spilling out of the covers. With a cautious hoof, she prodded Rainbow Dash's tangled blanket and found it empty.

After another cursory glance around the room, Roseluck walked out of the cloud cabin and looked for any sign of her friend. Squinting her eyes, she spied a group of ponies in the distance.

A group of ponies all surrounding one little rainbow-maned filly.

Roseluck broke into a sprint, zipping across the cloud field. It was difficult to see in the scant moonlight, but as she neared the group, she spotted Rainbow Dash in a defiant stance, quarreling with three young colts.

One colt stepped right up to her, his face only inches away from hers. “Face it, Rainbow. You lost.”

Rainbow Dash pushed him back. “I did not!” she yelled. “You cheated!”

Another colt behind her laughed. “Hey, it's not our fault you didn't know where the finish line was.”

“That's 'cause you moved it halfway through the race!”

The first colt grinned. “Who cares? We won. Now pay up.”

“Come and get it yourself!” she challenged.

The three colts edged closer to Rainbow Dash, who stiffened her stance and snarled. Before any of them could act, Roseluck grabbed one by the tail, yanking him back.

“Hey, what gives—”

“Leave her alone!” Roseluck narrowed her eyes at the three colts and stood tall. “I won't let you touch her!”

The first colt snorted. “Who the hay are you?”

Roseluck flashed a wicked grin. “I'm your worst nightmare, you little creep. You lay a single hoof on her and I'll tear your wings off. I'll find you when you're sleeping and rip them off with my teeth.”

The colts exchanged horrified looks, then slowly stepped backward as both Rainbow Dash and Roseluck marched toward them. Mere seconds later, the colts flew off erratically, nearly bumping into each other in their escape.

Rainbow Dash sighed in relief, then turned to Roseluck with a frown. “I could have handled it by myself.”

“Yeah, I know.” Roseluck walked up to her and nuzzled her cheek. “But I'd never leave you hanging.”

Rainbow Dash's concerned face melted into a smile. “You're such a great friend, Roseluck.”

“You too, Rainbow. Let's always be friends.”

--------------------

I don't think those losers bothered you again while I was around.

. . .

Hah, yeah. I surprised myself too when I threatened to bite his wings off. What can I say? I read a lot of books as a filly.

You truly never realized that was me so long ago, huh? It's okay. Those days didn't last long, after all.

--------------------

Two Days Later

It was the end of the week, and all young fillies and colts were expected to demonstrate what they had learned so far. Pony after pony vaulted off a cloud precipice to soar over the field, some performing minor stunts, others showing off their speed.

Roseluck was hoping to simply stay afloat.

Now second in line, waiting for her turn, she noticed the filly in front quivering, her legs buckling with each involuntary shake. Turning her head sideways, Roseluck frowned. “Are you okay?”

“Ah, i-it's nothing. I just hate Fridays.” The skinny, pink-maned filly continued her tremoring.

Roseluck shrugged.

The filly continued in a more timid voice. “I-I mean, I just don't like having to fly.” She took a wide-eyed look toward the long drop to the cloud field below. Upon noticing Roseluck's stare, the little filly cowered, but chanced a question. “Can you go f-first, please? Please . . .”

“But . . . I don't want to fly either.”

A loud voice boomed from a distant cloud. “Next!”

The frightened filly stood frozen.

“Let's go! Next! Who's holding up the line?”

Roseluck grit her teeth, then pushed her way to the front. The shy filly murmured something inaudible, but she paid it no mind as she jumped from the precipice and began to soar.

And soar she did.

“Whoa, check her out!”

“She's so graceful!”

“Who is that, again?”

For the first time in her life, Roseluck somehow flew without pain. With the feeling of the wind in her mane as she sailed through the air, she could not help but smile. She jetted across clouds at speeds that rivaled even Rainbow Dash, pushing herself to the limit and rising ever higher.

Reaching the apex of her flight, Roseluck began hovering and glanced downward at the cloud field below, her fellow fillies and colts all staring at her in amazement.

“I did it!” she called out. “I can really fly!”

Grinning widely, she rocketed toward the crowd in a flashy dive. During her descent, she felt a tingling sensation in her wings but pressed on.

As she picked up speed, the odd feeling graduated to slight numbness, causing her to falter. She tried to fan out her wings to slow her descent, but she found them increasingly unresponsive. Resolving herself to slow down at all costs, she forced them open as far as they could go, but all she received in return was a sharp bolt of pain that burned through her entire body.

The muscles in her wings frozen, Roseluck entered free fall.

The crowd of ponies gasped and screamed upon seeing her drop past the cloud field, her legs flailing as her body fell toward the earth.

--------------------

My mind just shut down at that point. I fell unconscious. I don't know how I survived-

. . .

Oh, you remember the rest, now. Well, could you still listen? It helps. Telling the story, that is.

I just want somepony to hear it once.

--------------------

Roseluck gradually regained consciousness. Her entire body felt heavy, her mind still hazy and groggy. Unable to comprehend for how long she was out, she started looking around.

The room's tiling and curtains seemed to suggest she was in a hospital. The steady beeping nearby certainly agreed with that.

In fact, she seemed to recognize the curtains. Even the window in the corner felt familiar to her. So did the glass-paned door to the room. And her hospital bed.

The bed to which she was strapped.

Now wide-eyed and breathing quickly, Roseluck thrashed against her bindings but could not break free. Rocking the bed did nothing.

It was only after she tried to scream that she realized she had also been gagged.

After a moment of panic, the glass-paned door opened and Doctor Zealheart trudged inside. “My, my. You're awake already. It wasn't easy to find you.”

Roseluck moaned something unintelligible.

With a crooked smile, Zealheart patted her on the head and peeled her gag back. “Your parents were worried sick, little one,” he said softly.

“My parents are d-dead, you liar!”

“Ah, you already know, do you? I suppose that makes things easier.”

“I don't want to be here!” cried Roseluck. “Let me go!” With renewed vigor, she twisted around in a desperate attempt to break free.

“Don't stress my precious wings now,” crooned Zealheart. “I have special plans for them.”

“They're my wings!”

“Oh, please, my little pegasus. I'm doing you a favor. After this quick snip-snip procedure, those lovely wings will never bother you again.”

Roseluck screamed, but Zealheart quickly replaced the gag. He held it forcefully in place with his hoof and leaned forward.

“Make this harder than it has to be, and I'll take more than just your wings. Now shut up!”

Roseluck responded with a whimper.

“That's a good pony. I think I'm going to give you a special present. Your favorite doctor will be right back with a very tasty medicine for you, so you can have some lovely dreams. When you wake up, this will all be over and you can go home.” Zealheart gently placed a hoof on one of her wings. “Yes . . . very soon.”

Watching him leave quietly, Roseluck waited until he turned the hallway corner before trying to escape once more. Although her bindings held her securely in place, she refused to stop, putting every ounce of her energy in her desperation.

After a minute of useless struggling, she began to cry, tears flowing as she continued her futile throes.

“Hey, Roseluck,” whispered a voice from across the room. Rainbow Dash's head poked through the window.

Roseluck tried to speak, yet she managed nothing but frantic, muffled sounds.

“I saw what happened. Keep quiet; I'll get you out.”

Rainbow Dash glided over to her bed and started unwinding her ties, occasionally using her teeth to rip off a few stubborn straps. As soon as she had a hoof free, Roseluck pulled off her gag and gasped. “That was horrible. Thank—”

“Not now! Let's get outta here!” she whispered harshly, rushing toward the window.

Roseluck nodded and climbed off the bed, scrambling to her legs. After a quick stretch of her wings, she followed her to the window and leaped outside.

The two ascended high into the sky, Rainbow Dash leading the way. Only adrenaline kept Roseluck in the air, her wings still weak and hurt. After a few minutes of straight flying, her pace dwindled.

“St-Stop, Rainbow.”

“What?”

“I can't keep going.” Roseluck stopped on a nearby cloud and panted. “I'm sorry, I just . . . I can't.”

“Hey, it's okay,” said Rainbow Dash, landing next to her. “We can take a break. We're almost back at flight camp.”

“No. I mean, I can't go back.” Roseluck turned away. “Listen. I don't have a home anymore. My family is . . .” she trailed off, pawing at the cloud beneath her. “Gone.”

Rainbow Dash stepped closer, wrapping a hoof around her. “Then I'll take care of you! I can find you food and stuff, and—”

“No, Rainbow.” Roseluck pushed her away. “I just can't stay here. That doctor will keep looking for me. I have to go far away.”

“Okay, so I'll come with you!”

“No! You can't. Just go back to camp alone.” After a silent moment, Roseluck gave her a hard shove. “Get out of here!”

Rainbow Dash stumbled backward. She watched solemnly as Roseluck, her face marked by strain and misery, took off and fluttered away. “Why?” she whispered to herself. “I thought we were friends . . .” Wiping a tear from her face, she waited until Roseluck was out of sight before drifting back to camp.