• Published 9th Apr 2023
  • 2,933 Views, 504 Comments

Equestrian Vacation - Dragonboy111



Harry tries to have a nice vacation in Equestria with his penpal, Twilight, but things don't go to plan, causing the adventure of a lifetime.

  • ...
12
 504
 2,933

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 1: Magical Mystery

Author's Note:

Important! There is singing. This is probably the only chapter with singing. I know we never hear Harry sing, but search up Daniel Radcliff singing "Brotherhood of Men" or "A Christmas Carol" to hear him sing, then slap it on Harry.

Twilight was woken up by Harry telling her they were arriving in Ponyville. After disembarking the train, she and the others all bid each other goodnight. That meant Twilight, Harry, Spike, and Hedwig were left to walk to Twilight's home, sharing Harry's luggage between them. When they got to the treehouse, there were two packages on the front step. Harry picked one up.

"Ward of the State. Hm, must be that paperwork Celestia talked about," Harry said.

Twilight peered over his shoulder, reading the rest of the package herself.

"Looks like an info packet. You should read it tomorrow, it's late," Twilight said.

"No argument there," replied Harry.

Twilight picked up the second package as they walked inside. She took a book and paper from within the box. She held the paper up to the dim light and read the words aloud.

"Dear Twilight Sparkle, the spell contained on the last page of this book is Star Swirl the Bearded's secret unfinished masterpiece," Twilight gushed over the words. A spell written by Star Swirl the Bearded himself?! "Ooh! He was never able to get it right, and thus abandoned it. I believe you are the only pony who can understand and rewrite it. Princess Celestia." Twilight set down the note and opened the book.

"What did Celestia send you?" Harry asked.

"A spell book, one belonging to Star Swirl the Bearded! And she wants me to finish one of his spells!" She giggled. "Oh, but it's so dark. Can one of you light a candle?"

"I'll try," Harry said. His horn flickered for a second, then a nearby candle lit up. Harry levitated the candle over Twilight's shoulder.

"Thanks, Harry. Now, last page, last page..." Twilight flipped through the book. "From one to another, another to one. A mark of one's destiny singled out alone, fulfilled." Twilight chanted. "That doesn't make any sense. It doesn't even rhyme!"

Why would one of the greatest unicorns ever make a spell that doesn't even sound good to cast?

"What does it do?" Harry asked.

"It doesn't say," Twilight said with a shrug. "I can retry Star Swirl the Bearded's spell tomorrow morning."

"Good, I don't want magic going off at three AM," Spike said.

"Ditto," Harry agreed.

"Fine. Let's get you set up for the night, Harry," Twilight said. "Welcome to your new home: Ponyville," she said with a smile.

Harry smiled back. What could go wrong?


The sky was bright, the birds were singing, and the breeze was just right. It was a perfect morning in Ponyville, and nothing could ruin that for its newest resident.

Harry hopped out of bed with a mighty stretch and a yawn. On the opposite bed, Twilight was doing to same. Harry looked out the nearby window, seeing the risen Sun and clear sky.

"A perfect morning, wouldn't you say?" Harry said to Twilight.

"Just another charm of mornings in Ponyville," she said.

Twilight walked towards the nearest window, and Harry noticed she had a little more... bounce in her steps. A weird sensation was bubbling up in Harry like his heart was matching a melody. Twilight opened her window to let fresh air and sunlight into her home, a smile on her face. Her voice rang out, clear and confidant.

"Morning in Ponyville shimmers

Morning in Ponyville shines"

Harry realized she was singing. He followed her as she left the house.

"Are you really singing a morning solo?"

"You can make it a duo," Twilight said. Harry shook his head, deciding to give it a try.

"And I know for absolute certain

That everything is certainly fine"

The two walked on, Harry following her musical leads. He didn't even know he could sing!

"There's the Mayor en route to her office

There's the sofa clerk selling some quills"

"Morning, kids!"

"Our Ponyville is so gentle and still

Can things ever go wrong?

I don't think that they will"

Twilight performed a quick dance on a nearby table, another pony mimicking her. Harry offered her a hoof to get down as they continued on side by side.

"Morning in Ponyville shimmers

Morning in Ponyville shines

And I know for absolute certain

That everything is certainly"

A large douse of rainwater cut the two off at the apex of their song.

"Rainbow Dash, that's not funny!" Twilight shouted.

But instead of Rainbow Dash's proud voice, a refined accent replied. "Terribly sorry, darling. I'm afraid I'm... I'm not good with the thundery ones," Rarity said.

Harry's jaw dropped and Twilight gasped. Why was Rarity controlling the weather? Twilight and Harry realized the moment they saw Rarity's cutie mark, it was Rainbow Dash's!

"Something tells me everything is not going to be fine," Twilight exclaimed.

Harry and Twilight approached Rarity, still stunned by her cutie mark's bizarre change.

"What are you doing? What happened to your cutie mark?" Twilight demanded of her friend.

"Whatever do you mean, Twilight? I'm simply doing what I've done since the day it first appeared. Does my sky look fabulous or what?" Rarity gushed over her patchwork of clouds. Several ponies started voicing very vocal complaints. "Too last season?"

Harry and Twilight shared confused glances.

"Where is Rainbow Dash? Why isn't she handling this?" Twilight demanded angrily.

"Excuse me," Harry turned to a nearby stallion, "do you know where Rainbow Dash is?"

"She lives in the cottage at the edge of town. Start towards the path leading to the Everfree Forest, you can't miss," the stallion said.

That's the location of Fluttershy's hut. Why's she there?

"Thanks!" Harry said. "Twilight, I know where Rainbow Dash is! Come on, we're going to Fluttershy's."

Twilight and Harry rushed out of the crowd, sights set on Fluttershy's cottage.

"I don't get it. Why does Rarity have Rainbow Dash's cutie mark?" Twilight pondered.

"Are cutie marks not supposed to change?" Harry asked, glancing at his blank flank.

"No, they don't. A cutie mark is an immutable symbol of our identity. Once is appears it can't be changed by anything, and no two marks are completely the same," Twilight explained.

"Then how bad is this?"

"We can discover that once we find Rainbow Dash. You're sure that stallion said this was Rainbow Dash's cottage?" Twilight said as she knocked on the door.

Rainbow Dash peaked her head out, a cacophony of animal noises following her.

"Hey, guys," the pegasus said.

"Rainbow Dash! Why is Rarity doing your job?" Twilight asked.

There was a crashing noise and Rainbow Dash disappeared inside before she could answer.

Twilight opened the door. "And what in Equestria is going on in... here?" she said in shock.

The place was a mess! Animals were moving about in a frenzy, so unlike the normal serenity of Fluttershy's cottage. Rainbow Dash was zipping about, expressing her panic in song. Just one of those days, apparently.

"These animals don't listen, no, not one little bit

They run around out of control and throw their hissy fits

It's up to me to stop them, 'cause plainly you can see

It's got to be my destiny, and it's what my cutie mark is telling me"

Harry and Twilight shared terrified looks as Rainbow Dash sang. She had Fluttershy's cutie mark!

"We need to get the others!" Harry exclaimed. "Let's find them."

He and Twilight ran as fast as they could to Sugarcube Corner. When they looked inside, it was Fluttershy throwing a party. The shy pegasus was singing to herself, looking ashamed as she was unable to get a giggle out of anypony.

"I try to keep them laughing, put a smile upon their face

But no matter what I try, it seems a bit of a disgrace

I have to entertain them, it's there for all to see

It's got to be my destiny, and it's what my cutie mark is telling me"

"Pinkie Pie's mark," Twilight said as they rushed away.

After some help, the two found Pinkie down at Sweet Apple Acres. Her poofy hair was flat, and her expression less than cheery.

"I don't care much for picking fruit and plowing fields ain't such a hoot

No matter what I try, I cannot fix this busted water chute!

I've got so many chores to do, it's no fun being me

But it has to be my destiny, 'cause it's what my cutie mark is telling me"

"Let's find Applejack," said Twilight.

"Let's check the Boutique," said Harry.

Applejack was found at Rarity's house, trying to do Rarity's job of dressmaking. It was... less than pretty. fabrics were strewed about the building in an absolute mess.

"Lookie here at what I made, I think that it's a dress

I know it doesn't look like much, I'm under some distress

Could y'all give me a hand here and help me fix this mess?

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me"

And Rarity was exactly where she was found earlier, unable to make the weather right.

"I'm in love with weather patterns, but the others have concerns

For I just gave them frostbite over top of their sunburns

I have to keep on trying, for everyone can see"

It's what my cutie mark is telling me!"

Harry and Twilight looked at each other. This was so much worse than they could have imagined. They ran as fast as they could back to Twilight's house. Twilight rushed through the door in a nervous fit.

"This is bad. This is very, very bad," she said.

"What's going on?" Spike asked.

"I don't know if you've been paying attention, but Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity all got their cutie marks swapped!" Harry replied.

"What, how?" the dragon asked.

"It must have been the spell I cast," Twilight realized. She pointed at the glass container for the Elements of Harmony. They were all the wrong colors. "I cast the spell so I could find out what it was, but nothing seemed to happen. But now I know something did happen. The spell has changed the Elements of Harmony! That must be why their cutie marks are all wrong!"

"So just cast a counter-spell to switch them back," Spike said.

"There is no counter-spell!" Twilight protested.

"Why don't you just use that memory spell you used to fix everypony when Discord was here?"

"It's not their memories, Spike. It's their true selves that have been altered!"

"Zecora's cure for the cutie pox?"

"That won't work either..."

Twilight started to move up the stairs while Harry remained in thought.

"I have an idea," Harry said. "If the spell mixed up their cutie marks, why don't we just recast the spell a few more times? We go until the Elements are back in place," He suggested.

Twilight rubbed her chin with her hoof, then shook her head.

"I don't know, I messed it up pretty bad, I don't want to make it worse," Twilight said hesitantly.

"Come on, how does it get worse?" Harry said, opening the book himself, horn aglow. "From one to another, another to one. A mark of one's destiny singled out alone, fulfilled."

The two waited for something to happen, but nothing did.

"Maybe Twilight should do it?" Spike suggested.

"No, I won't. Their destinies are now changed, and it's all my fault," Twilight said.

Twilight continued up the stairs, leaving Spike and Harry alone. The dragon and unicorn watched and listened as a sad song drifted from Twilight's room.

"We need to fix this," Harry said, pacing.

"But how? You heard Twilight, she doesn't know how to fix the Elements," Spike protested.

"Then we do our jobs as friends, and we help her. Even if that means we just stand there while she fixes this herself, we will be there for her," Harry declared.

"How does that fix our problem?"

"It doesn't, but Twilight knows more about the Elements— and her friends— than anypony. We're not going to let her give up on our friends," Harry said. "She didn't give up against Discord, and we're not letting her stop now. Come on."

Spike followed Harry as he marched right up the stairs to where a dejected Twilight sat on her bed.

Harry sat next to her. "Hey, Twilight. How you feeling?" he asked, already knowing the answer.

"Awful. What have I done?" she bemoaned.

"An honest mistake, nothing more," Harry said gently.

"Aw, come on, Twilight, you'll figure out a way to fix this. These are your friends." Spike tried to cheer her up.

"I don't know," she said.

"That doesn't sound like the Twilight I know," Harry replied. He stood in front of her defiantly. "When Nightmare Moon kidnapped Celestia, who didn't give up?"

"Well, my friends—"

"You. You started that, and your friends followed you," Harry counted her words. "When Discord forced your friends to be the opposite of their true selves, did you give up on them?"

"No—"

"Then why stop now?" Harry demanded. "You know them best, you can fix this, you can help them," Harry reassured Twilight.

A spark seemed to light up in Twilight's eyes. She hopped out of her bed, energy refilled.

"Harry, you're right. They mean more to me than anything." Twilight trailed off, looking at a photo of her and her friends. "My friends..."

Twilight stiffened, and her form started to shine with magic. Harry and Spike covered their eyes.

"Twilight? Are you alright?" Spike asked.

The unicorn turned around, radiating confidence with a smile. Her cutie mark briefly appeared in her eyes. She grabbed the box that once held the Elements, placing them back in.

"I may not be able to remind them of who they are, but I can show them what they mean to each other. They'll find the part of themselves that's been lost so they can help the friend they care about so much! Come on!" she announced, giving the box to Spike.

Harry and Spike shared a smile as the former human levitated the box and the dragon took a spot on Harry's back. Twilight was back in business. They ran across Ponyville, looking for the first friend they would find. And the first pony they found was Fluttershy, who looked ready to leave town on a balloon.

"Fluttershy, wait!" Twilight shouted.

"Oh... Hey, Twilight..." Fluttershy whimpered.

"Where are you going?" Twilight asked.

"I'm moving back to Cloudsdale. I don't know what's wrong, but I can't seem to make anypony laugh," the pegasus said.

"Before you go, I was wondering if you might be willing to help Rainbow Dash. She's really struggling with her animals," Twilight suggested.

"But... I don't really know anything about animals..." she protested.

"But you do know something about Rainbow Dash."

"I... know that she's a true friend, and I'll do anything I can to help her," Fluttershy agreed reluctantly.

The four friends made their way to Fluttershy's- no- Rainbow Dash's— or was it Fluttershy's?— cottage with haste. The home was a mess, the animals in full revolt!

"Rainbow Dash!" Harry yelled.

"Help, I'm in here!" came Rainbow's voice from a large cauldron.

"Harry, Twilight! Don't one of you have some sort of spell to get her out?" Fluttershy pleaded.

Harry and Twilight shook their heads simultaneously.

"No. Fluttershy, you're the only one who can help! Rainbow Dash needs you!" Twilight insisted.

Fluttershy approached the animals nervously.

"Um... Hello? Little... woodland creatures? I know that you're all very upset and feel like giving Rainbow Dash a hard time, but we'd all really appreciate it if you'd calm down and, um, maybe... rest for a bit?" Fluttershy asked tentatively. The animals paid attention to her, and Fluttershy grew nervous but kept going. She flew off before returning with a bowl of plants and nuts.

"Oh! Uh... look! Here's some nice, juicy leaves for you to munch on. And some crunchy, munchy acorns too. Uh, wouldn't you like to take a break and have a little snack?" The animals dropped their utensils to grab some food. "Aww, look at that. I guess you were all just cranky because you were hungry." Some of the animals chattered at her, saying things Harry didn't understand. "Oh, you are very welcome, little friends."

The bear in the room scooped her up in a big hug and placed an equally large kiss on her head. The other animals crowded around her excitedly.

"Goodness, it's like I can understand them!" Fluttershy whispered excitedly.

The yellow pegasus started to glow pink. Harry held out the Element of Kindness and rushed at Fluttershy.

"I... I feel strange, like... like this is what I'm meant to do, like this is who I am! My destiny! "

Harry clamped the Element on Fluttershy. The Element's color reverted to pink, and Fluttershy's gaze became unfocused as if reliving a potent memory. When the light faded Fluttershy landed on the ground.

"Wha... what happened?"

"Fluttershy, look! Your cutie mark!" Twilight exclaimed, pointing.

True to Twilight's words, Fluttershy's was once again three pink butterflies, not balloons. It was back to normal!

"You did it, Twilight!" Harry said.

"It worked! It worked! Oh, I'm so happy you're back to normal! Now we need your help!" Twilight said. She took a step back, smiling. Fluttershy smiled back.

"Um, hello? Friend trapped inside, remember?" Rainbow Dash complained.

Harry untied the blue pegasus from her rope, smiling. Everyone had their work cut out to return their friends to normal.

But they could fix this, together.


It took a while, but through effort and determination everypony's cutie marks were put back in place and the damages had been reversed. Everypony was back where they belonged. The farm was fixed, dresses were selling, the weather was back, animals were happy, and Ponyville was cheery again. And seven friends were bundled in a group hug, everything back in its proper place.

"Wait a second, that's it! I understand now! I know how to fix the spell!" Twilight said, breaking the levitating group hug.

"Well, it's a bit late for that, we already fixed everything," Harry said.

"I can recast it to unfix it and let you have a go," Twilight snarked good-naturedly.

"Nope, go right on ahead."

The eight friends rushed back to Twilight's house. Twilight pulled out the large book that contained the troublesome spell. She pulled out a purple quill and started to write another line.

"From all of us together, together we're friends. With the marks of our destinies made one, there is magic without end!"

Twilight put the spell book away smiling. Then something unexpected happened.

The Element of Magic glowed brightly, the others matching it. Bright beams of light fired out of the necklaces, engulfing Twilight in a sphere of light. The intensity grew, blinding the room's occupants. Then, as soon as it happened, the light vanished. Harry peaked his eyes open.

Twilight was gone!

A patch of burnt ground was the only evidence of anything out of the ordinary.

"What happened?" Fluttershy murmured.

"The spell! It did something to Twilight!" Spike shouted.

"Yeah, we noticed!" Harry yelled back.

Harry grabbed the book back, turning to the last pages. He looked for some form of a description of the spell, already knowing Twilight hadn't found one.

"No! Who writes a spell without a description!? We don't even know what it did to her!" Harry yelled out loud, slamming the book on the ground.

"There has to be some counter-spell, right?" Rainbow Dash demanded.

"There isn't one!" Spike protested. "And Twilight clearly didn't write one!"

"Can we use it to follow her? Take us wherever the hay it sent her?" Applejack asked.

"I- I don't know!" Harry yelled back. "Why are you asking me?!"

"Because you know more about teleporting spells than us, and you study magic," Rarity reasoned.

"I'm not that good, and I'm a student in human magic! Twilight wrote the interdimensional mailing spell and the summoning..." Harry trailed off. An idea formed in his head. "Spike, does Twilight still have her notes on those spells?"

"Yep," Spike replied. The young dragon vanished up the stairs and returned with a set of papers, already having guessed Harry's plan.

"Alright, somepony write a letter to Twilight now, and I'll try to figure out summoning. Spike, inform the princess, please," Harry said.

Rarity grabbed a paper and quill, Spike doing the same. Harry started speed-reading the notes.

"Where are you, are you safe?" Rarity said as she wrote the message out.

"Dear Princess Celestia, Twilight finished Star Swirl the Bearded's spell, but disappeared! We need help as soon as you may be able to offer it," Spike wrote quickly.

When Rarity handed the note back. Harry looked up at Spike, both nodding as they sent the papers off.

"Good, now we see if anything comes back. Hopefully, Celestia can bring back Twilight," Harry said.

"And if she can't?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"My spell only works when the subjects are separated by some dimensional barrier. If we're lucky Twilight can send back a letter, but hopefully—" Harry was cut off by two sounds at the door.

Harry rushed to the door as fast as he could. Two letters lay on the ground. The same letters Harry and Spike sent. Rarity picked the one she wrote up, inspecting it.

"Nothing, it's the exact same," Rarity said.

"So, your spell didn't work?" Applejack asked.

"Look at the sun, it's moving!" Pinkie Pie shouted.

Everypony looked up to see the setting sun take a dramatic plunge into the horizon. The evening sky darkened to a faint purple. They stepped outside as the sun continued its unusual path.

"Why is Celestia dropping the sun so quickly?" Spike asked.

"Could it be Nightmare Moon again?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"That doesn't explain Twilight's disappearance," Harry countered. "We can't mail Twilight, we need a plan B."

"Unless we go straight to Canterlot, we can't contact Celestia," Spike said. "And she's the only other pony who can use the summoning spell."

"What about Discord?" Harry said.

"Yeah, he's unreliable at best, he's plan D by default," Rainbow Dash said flatly.

Harry shook his head nervously. This can't be happening! Everything should've been fine! I'm supposed to be here with my friends, away from all my bad luck! This is all wrong! And now Twilight's gone, and there wasn't a thing I could do about it!

"So, what's the plan for a giant light in the sky?" Pinkie Pie asked, pointing up.

"What are you—"

Harry's question was cut off as a big bright star exploded into existence far above Ponyville. Its appearance exactly matched that of Twilight's cutie mark. The large star pulsated with a life of its own, descending slowly to the ground. Harry's throat tightened with apprehension and several emotions he couldn't place.

The star hit the ground, glowing so bright Harry could see it through his eyelids. But as the light faded, Harry could see somepony at the epicenter.

Twilight.

PreviousChapters Next