• Published 5th Apr 2023
  • 943 Views, 43 Comments

Red Banners, Red Stains - BurgerFanMan



Equus is nothing like the war-torn Earth which these task forces of the USA, GLA, ECA, China, and Russia came from. Their attempts to survive and explore the new land turn into open conflict against each other as they try to find a way home...

  • ...
4
 43
 943

Chapter 9/ECA/GLA: Capital in the Castle/A Pleasant Train Ride

"Stand proudly on the bodies."
"What?"
"It's nothing. Just put on your uniform."

Ambassadors' Wing Gardens, Canterlot Castle. 7th August, 2045. 6:45 AM

"CCFC Andrej stared straight ahead at the behemoth of a structure being erected by our engineers. The Region Command, pride of the European Engineer Corps, capable of coordinating-"

"Hey, Harris," Andrej greeted Corporal Harris, patting the empty space next to him on the bench he was sitting on. They were in the Royal Garden surrounding the Ambassadors' Wing. Andrej had come down to watch the ECA and pony engineers putting together Region Command. "Couldn't sleep?"

Harris shrugged. "I'm not the only one." He made a little note on the small journal he had taken to carrying around. "There's something you need to see."

"Oh?"

"It's... complicated. I'll have to show you."

Andrej nodded, standing up. "Lead the way, then."

They strode through the huge doors of the Ambassadors' Wing, passing various ponies and the occasional group of griffons. Most of the ponies gave them friendly greetings or nods, although they did receive cold stares and wary glances from some.

Andrej supposed that Corporal Harris, scribbling on his journal and muttering eccentrically, was not helping with the ponies' view of the humans.

Harris led him up a side set of stairs to the floor of the Ambassadors' Wing which had been given to the ECA.

Although ECA Command had insisted on keeping full control of access to their temporary base, there was free access to the part of the humongous hall closer to the main stairs; a sort of neutral ground.

Even at this time in the morning there were dozens of humans and ponies scattered everywhere: soldiers sharing stories, a pony in a suit explaining something to a group of officers, pony journalists, and a group of curious Royal Guards talking to the crew of the Leopard tank parked in the hallway.

"In here, sir." Corporal Harris motioned to one of the many doors set in the walls of the hallway.

This part of the hall housed several mostly-empty utility and conference rooms from which any ambassadors could work. At first the sheer size and capacity of the Ambassadors' Wing had stunned Andrej, but considering this was the only major embassy in one of the only countries in the world, it made sense.

Andrej was almost knocked off his feet by a Nightguard rushing along the corridor. He gave Andrej an apologetic nod but didn't stop. Two more followed him, flying just slightly above the ground. Andrej grunted in annoyance before continuing along to the door.

They entered the room. Inside were Corporal Harper, SFC Janelle, SFC Newbery, a vaguely familiar, old European in a lab coat, and Blurry Flash from the Royal Guard journalist team.

Along one of the walls was a table holding a computer and some advanced looking broadcast equipment. A video image was being projected above it, which appeared to originate from Blurry Flash's horn.

The researcher was talking excitedly with the ponies, gesturing wildly. Blurry Flash seemed to be sharing his enthusiasm.

"SirthenicescientistjustinventedsomethingreallycoolandnowIdon'tneedamonitorformyconsoleIjustneedaunicorncanwekeeptheunicorn PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?"

Andrej involuntarily stepped back from this sudden burst from Newbery. "Um, no?"

"Oh, that's alright then."

"Sir, Newbery learnt that the ponies don't have anything capable of displaying video, so he wanted to fix that. Specialist Alex," Harper motioned to the researcher, who was oblivious to the newcomers, "seemed interested, and we convinced Blurry Flash to help out. The other Guards tagged along."

Andrej nodded to the projection on the wall. "I assume it worked?"

"Yep, chief. Don't ask me how, but using a thermo-baric-crystal-thing Specialist Alex managed to broadcast video feed from that computer directly to Blurry Flash, who with some concentration can project it onto any surface. Took some trial and error though." He rolled up his sleeve to display several minor burns. "I'm the only one who got hit. Twenty seven times."

Wincing sympathetically, Andrej replied, "Could be worse. How big of a discovery is this exactly?"

Blurry Flash had wrapped up his conversation with the researcher. "I'm not sure about what's being broadcast right now, but I've heard you guys have a few 'video cameras'- Alex explained them to me- which could be really helpful. Imagine, any unicorn in the city could simply tune into a broadcast as easily as turning on the radio." His eyes went sparkly. "This will transform our society entirely- for the better. Spreading pictures and videos instantly across the whole of Eque-"

Specialist Alex interrupted him. "Not sure about that. You're a good lad but even from this range it took you a decent amount of effort to get the video going. At the very max a single broadcasting unit could cover maybe... the entire castle."

"Oh. So there's no way to get video to, say, Lower Canterlot and Upper Canterlot at the same time?"

"Not exactly. We can connect each of the units with wires. They're cheap but we have a limited supply of them, so you'd need a local producer to make some for yourself," explained Alex. He smoothed his greying hair. "Training unicorns could be an issue too; there's only one of you."

Blurry Flash waved all this away. "We'll figure something out. Chief Corporal First Class Andrej, as the designated squad for communicating with common ponies, I assume it is within your jurisdiction to manage the flow of technology to us?" He said that sentence very formally and carefully.

"Indeed it is, Blurry Flash," replied Andrej, wondering where all of this was going. "I'll still have to ask Command if we're taking any equipment, though."

"Oh, don't worry. I have enough spare materials to create two more of these units, and I assume you already have a computer or laptop for broadcasting," contributed Specialist Alex. "I'd best be off, though, have to move my stuff to Region Command. Keep this unit and the laptop here for now, contact me if you need anything."

"Thank you, researcher."
"Thanks doc!"
"Thanks, Specialist."

"Just doing my job. Have a good one." With that he left the room.

Blurry Flash cleared his throat. "The ECA will get nowhere without bits, and I am sure the Royal Sisters will not directly fund an armed organisation right within their castle. Especially with the group in Manehatten-"

"The group in Manehatten?" interrupted Harper.

"Haven't you heard the news?" replied Blurry Flash, mildly surprised. "Princess Celestia released a formal statement a while before dawn today. Apparently there's another faction of humans in Manehatten- that's a huge coastal city- calling themselves the United States of America's military. They came on a huge ship with heavier-than-air flying machines, called the USS Discord."

"An aircraft carrier..." muttered Andrej thoughtfully. He was conflicted between relief that they weren't the only ones here, and wariness at what the Americans may be up to. They weren't exactly known for peaceful resolution and diplomacy.

After some thought he shrugged. "It's not our problem, High Command will deal with it. But you're right, we do need to secure a source of income. Though if the Royal Sisters don't want us to, why are you helping us?"

"I like you guys," replied Blurry Flash simply, flashing an innocent smile. Andrej narrowed his eyes slightly. He didn't believe for a second that the sly Guard was doing this purely because he 'liked' them, but he couldn't see any ulterior motive except securing human technology, which would be in vain as the Engineering team was already giving it out.

"Well, alright then," he replied with an equally fake smile. "So, what's your plan?"

"I propose that you start the first ever human company here- a telecomms company!"

"A telecomms company?"

"You know, stuff to do with this broadcasting equipment. I'm sure every snob in Canterlot would be willing to pay a decent price to see... well, we'll figure out what to broadcast later. For now, you can sell a novelty."

"And what's your role in all of this?" Andrej was skeptical.

Blurry Flash deflated slightly. "Well, as a Royal Guard it's illegal for me to accept any bits at any time from anyone except the Castle... and I can't own a company or anything... but it's enough for me to know I helped along a technological revolution for ponykind."

"So... where do we start?" Andrej wasn't sure how they were going to do this, or if they even could, but he didn't see anything wrong with trying.

"Visit the Canterlot Hall of Government Affairs and ask for permission to register a company. I don't think it's legal for ambassadors to do something like that, but you can at least try. I told the guards to look out for your squad; you should be able to enter the city freely. Don't let this one out alone though," Blurry Flash waved his hoof at Newbery, who was currently showing a bemused Janelle a 'better' way of holding pistols. "He'll end up racking up a bill on cotton candy or something."

"Oh, we know. Harper, Harris, are you two free?"

"Yeah, chief. You want to go right now?" Harper looked up from unplugging various wires connected to the laptop.

"May as well. Janelle, inform Sharice that we're out. She's in charge. And wake up the boys, tell them to help you get the broadcasting-thing to our room."

"Yes sir," saluted Janelle. She dragged Newbery with her out of the room. Andrej and the Corporals followed, Blurry Flash right behind them.

"So, do you think they'll let us start a company? Earn bits? Build broadcasting towers?" Harper asked as they made their way down the corridor.

"They won't."

The trio turned around. Just behind them was the same blue pegasus that they had seen yesterday, trying to get through the ECA checkpoint. He had a smug, knowing grin on his face. Andrej considered how to tell the pony to mind his own business without seeming rude.

"But I can."

"Oh?"

"I can help you, and you can help me." The pegasus motioned to an open door leading to a tiny, empty room. "Let's have a chat."

Andrej looked to Harper and Harris, both of whom simply shrugged at him. "Sure, I guess. Harris, come with me."

They entered the room, the pegasus closing the door behind him.

"Now, if I understand it correctly, you want to start a legal, profitable company. Correct?"

"Maybe."

"What kind of company?"

"That's none of your-," Harris started, but he was stopped by Andrej raising his hand.

"It has to do with this new technology we've invented. It can transmit video- moving pictures- in a small radius, which unicorns can display onto walls."

The pegasus lost his smug smile for a second, replaced by genuine interest. "That sounds like some fictional magic."

"Well, our technology is quite advanced..." Andrej glanced at his pistol meaningfully.

In what appeared to be deep thought, the pegasus murmured, "If you connect a radio with thermobaric crystals..."

"Pardon?'

"Nothing. It just sounds similar to something I've been working on. Anyways..." The pony put on an old-timey salesman accent. "What you need is a middleman. A middleman with funds, who knows his way around Canterlot. I can be that middleman."

"We have no idea who you are." Andrej was incredibly skeptical. The pegasus seemed like a sketchy businessman looking for some quick profit.

"Nevermind that. I rather suddenly lost my status yesterday, but I still have some contacts and quite a lot of bits at my disposal."

"So you're paying? What's the catch?"

The pegasus shook his head. "There isn't any. I'll fund the company's startup, manage the pony side of things, and you get all the profit. In return, I need you to do me some favours every once in a while. That's it."

"Favours? What kind of favours?"

"Oh, you know. Just some odd jobs that a human could do better than a pony," replied the pegasus vaguely. "Don't worry, you can decline any of the favours if you want to."

Andrej nodded slowly. "What should we do?"

"Nothing for now. I'll work on setting up the company and get back to you in a few days. Then your team comes in and sets up the broadcasting thingie- if it's light enough you can attach it to a radio broadcasting tower, there's several across Upper Canterlot. What do you say?" The pegasus held out his hoof. Seeing Andrej's hesitation, he continued, "There's no risk at all for you here- I'm the one taking a risk, in fact, working on such little information."

Andrej held out his hand reluctantly. It was all going so fast, but they seemed to be moving in the right direction- or at least, not the wrong one.

They shook, hand and hoof. As Andrej and Corporal Harris were leaving the room, Andrej remembered something.

"I'm CCFC Andrej. I didn't catch your name."

The pegasus grinned back. "Call me... Bluewings."


Unknown Train, ???. August 7th 2045. 10:40 AM

“Captain? You dead?” The voice could barely be heard through the howling wind and rumble of the train’s wheels on the tracks.

“Not yet,” Captain Linton called back from the tiny porch on the back of the carriage. Next to him was Pilot Pavlov, the squad sniper and three other GLA soldiers. “All of you made it?”

The rest of the squad was scattered along the train, having grabbed onto side ladders or hung onto the porch railings like Linton and his small group had. They were at the very last carriage.

Sergeant Ali called back, “All 21 of us, excluding you five! Doesn’t seem like we’ve been detected. Thanks, god, for, like, GLA stealth and stuff.”

“Regroup at the front of the train. We’ll make our way over the roof.”

“Roooger that.”

The soldiers worked on lowering the ladder strapped to the back of the carriage, while the sniper was peeking through the window set in the door. Linton glanced inside too. It was a utility cart, full of crates and boxes. There wasn’t anyone inside.

“Change of plan,” he shouted above the wind, and tested the handle of the door. It was unlocked, strangely. He unslung his rifle and stepped inside. The soldiers followed him.

The carriage was no warmer than the outside. Linton lifted the lid of one of the crates to reveal frozen, ready-to-heat meals. It seemed that the train ran purely through the frozen mountains, if the operators felt no need for artificial cooling.

“You two, grab some supplies. The other two, come with me for scouting.”

He opened the windowless door on the other side of the carriage. The porch here connected to the one of the next carriage with a gap. A lowered ladder revealed that Sergeant Ali had climbed onto the roof here.
Linton nodded to the windowless, grey metal door of the next carriage.

“Prepare the breach.”

The soldier and the sniper hopped over the gap, moving to either side of the door.

As Linton hopped over, the train hit a gap in the rails and shook suddenly, almost throwing Linton off the edge. He clung on to the railing, tripping and falling onto the metal porch with a loud clang.

“Are you al-” The trio froze as the door slid open. The head of a small, strange-looking horse popped out, with a coat that sparkled and glimmered in the light.

“What in the-”

He was cut off when the sniper bashed his stock into the pony’s skull, causing him to crumple to the ground. The door automatically slid shut behind him.

The soldier nudged the body warily with his foot. “You killed it!”

“No, it’s just unconscious,” explained Linton. “It would seem that yaks are not our only problem here. We must inform the others, and quickly. Fetch the others, we’re going on the roof.”


Private Aleksander clung onto the roof of the carriage for dear life, his face battered by wind and the occasional clump of snow. He was with Private Havildar at the very front of the train, right behind the locomotive itself. They lay down to avoid falling off.

“How long do we have to wait here?” complained Havildar.

“Until the others catch up. Don’t worry, it’ll just be a couple minutes more.” Aleksandar was starting to get tired of the younger Private. The wet snow seeping through the winter uniform didn’t help improve his mood.

As if on cue, he felt a tap on his foot. Looking back, Aleksander saw the rest of the GLA force, clustered up on the carriage behind them. Captain Linton was directly behind him. Linton put his finger to his lips, whispering, "Don't panic. We're hijacking the train. There's horses."

Aleksander thought he'd misheard the last part, but the Captain continued on to the locomotive at a slow crawl. The duo followed, with the rest of the GLA squad catching up behind them.

The Captain drew himself up to a crouched position, unsheathing his knife, and hopped down.


Linton carefully drew himself up to a crouched position, unsheathing his knife, and hopped down next to two uniformed ponies. He grabbed one by the muzzle and put his knife against its neck.

“Don’t move, don’t scream,” he whispered threateningly to the other pony. It understood and closed its muzzle tightly.

Private Aleksander and another soldier climbed more carefully down the ladder, wincing when hot steam from the locomotive’s chimney blew into their faces. They took stock of the situation and drew their rifles.

"No one has to get hurt," muttered Linton, "but they will if you don't cooperate. Where is this train-"

Metal screeched behind him. Linton spun his head around to receive a hoof-kick straight in the face. He fell to the floor of the porch, dimly aware of the sound of a rifle going off.


Northeastern Crystal Empire. August 7th, 2045. 10:51 AM

"Understood, Alpha."

Talcite hooked the phone receiver back into the radio slot.

"What did Alpha say to do with them?" Med was standing directly next to her. An Imperial Army officer was with them, listening intently.

The Imperial Army had taken control of the front carriage of the train to hold the prisoner humans, with four prisoners and two guards in each compartment.

"We are not to communicate with the luggage. A team will covertly pick it up when we arrive," recited Talcite.

The Imperial Army officer wasn't satisfied. "A team? Your own ponies? Shouldn't the Imperial Army deal with this?"

"Oh, Captain." Med's voice was deadly cold. "We ARE the Imperial Army."

"Then what about the chain of command? The proper procedures?"

"Do you see what those things are? Procedure doesn't apply here." Talcite was starting to get impatient with the officers of the mundane Army. A glance from Med indicated that this was the wrong thing to say.

"Procedure applies everywhere, Agent. I will be contacting military court about this."

"There's no need, Captain. Why don't you have a drink, I heard they have a nice selection of wine here..." Med led the officer away, leaving Talcite alone with a pair of half-drunk Imperial Army soldiers.

She squeezed her way down the narrow corridor, checking each compartment. Most of the prisoners were sullen and silent, with any conversation being stopped by a harsh glare from the soldiers on guard. Talcite stopped outside one of the compartments, looking inside curiously.

This one held only a single prisoner- a younger human who had shot one of the Army ponies. Said pony was in critical condition, being treated by the singular Army medic.

The prisoner sat across from his two guards, his head bowed. His uniform was similar to that of the Griffonian Legion's winter uniform- white camo and a long coat- but had certain elements that she supposed were unique to the humans, including shoulder pads and heavy-looking vest. There was a shawl wrapped around his face which the guards hadn't bothered to remove, despite the relative heat in the carriage.

The prisoner turned his head to look at Talcite. She locked eyes with him for a brief moment, then continued on through the corridor.