• Published 4th Dec 2023
  • 173 Views, 68 Comments

Thomas and Friends: The Feast of Steven - The Blue EM2

  • ...
6
 68
 173

The Bury Market Express

The morning at Falmouth turned into the usual hive of activity before something important happened. The railtour was currently being assembled, with many coaches being turned into a rather wacky assortment of liveries. They had since acquired more MK1 coaches, but these were in a variety of liveries so it looked less uniform than it could do.

Salty and Porter were assembling both halves. "Ahoy there!" Salty called. "It looks like we'll be repeatin' the old trick with the boat train!"

"Splitting the coach rake?" Sunny replied. "I've got no idea how long the platforms at Bolton Street are, so we might be doing the same when we get there."

"Why not take Porter with us so he can split the train at the other end?" Salty suggested. "I'd go but as you know my bearings can go a bit odd when pulled at high speed."

Sunny nodded. "It's probably best we bring Porter."

The shunt signal held them in place as Porter was detached from his coaches, yawning as he headed away. "It's so early," he grumbled.

"Have some festive cheer!" Izzy said, as they rattled forward through the yard and into a nearby siding.

Sunny looked over. "Should we take Porter with us?"

"Of course we should! He shouldn't have to miss the Christmas trees for anything!"

A familiar snorting of steam started from the shed as Rebecca was backed out of the depot. She looked magnificent. Hitch had spent the night attaching the Golden Arrow regalia to the engine, and the golden platework and decorations perfectly complemented the malachite green paintwork and yellow striping. Safe to say, this was an engine you'd struggle to lose in a snowstorm.

"This weather's looking bad," Hitch said, as he brought Rebecca to a stop outside the platform. "Sunny, I'd like you to ride with me. If we're bringing Porter, I want him coupled to the back."

"On second thoughts, couldn't we use a diesel at the other end?" Porter asked. "Rocky can look after me whilst you're away."

Izzy thought for a moment. "That's probably a good idea. I'd need to partly take you to bits to make you safe to tow!"

With that, Izzy boarded the back of the train, and Sunny joined Hitch in the cab, both of them dressed nice and warm for the cold. With a gentle clunk, Rebecca rolled onto the coaches. "Ten coaches? I'm getting flashbacks to that boat train!"

"The weather's not as bad as it was then," Hitch reassured her. "We'll make it this time."

"That snow doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon."

Grandma Figgy had come to wave them off. "Stay warm! And drive carefully!"

"We will!" Hitch called, as he moved the first portion of the train out of the platform. Once the back was clear of the points, he stopped, and then waited for them to change. Once changed, he backed the formation onto the second set of coaches and waited for Izzy to couple them up.

Izzy held up a green light. "Frosty shivers!"

"What did you say?" Hitch asked over the radio.

"We're good to go!" she replied. So they went.

Rebecca was soon snorting up the grades on the Falmouth Branch. It was important to keep speeds up on this run, as they had a very long way to go, and not all of it on the relative quiet of the Devon main line. In fact, this trip would take them up part of the West Coast Mainline, which required a right dog's leg as steam locomotives were prohibited from running south of Crewe.

"Wasn't yesterday fun?" Sunny asked. "It was great seeing Pipp and Zipp again!"

"Don't forget Misty!" Izzy added.

Just then, Sunny got a text from Pipp.

Misty is down with something, so chose to stay behind. She's saving her strength for the concert tomorrow.

Pipp.

"What a shame," Sunny said.

"What's the matter?" Hitch asked.

"Misty can't make it today. Apparently she's ill."

"That is a shame," Hitch said, as they flew along. "What did you think of Grandma?"

"I know her pretty well, but I had fun."

"Good," Hitch said. "Even if she is rather set in her ways."

Sunny chortled. "Oh course, Hitch. Of course."

Izzy then chimed in on the radio. "Do you mind if we pop by my house in Heywood on the way? I've got a few things I want to pick up."

"Sounds fine," Hitch said. He saw the speed limit had increased, and so took advantage of it.


After arriving at Bury, a diesel shunter helped to split the train between the platforms. The train from Swanage had arrived before them and was currently occupying Platforms 1 and 2, so the Falmouth train was placed on Platforms 3 and 4. Once Izzy had returned from Heywood, the five friends met on the platform with hot drinks.

"Thanks for the scarves, Izzy," Zipp said. "They'll really help in this cold."

"No problemo!" Izzy replied.

Pipp looked around. "So, where are the trees?"

Izzy smiled. "They're in the station car park. We'll want to head to the Trackside Bar first."

Pipp nodded and began to walk that way, before Zipp suddenly stopped her. "Huh?"

Just then, a large amount of snow fell off the station canopy and landed where Pipp had been about to stand. "Oh."

"Saved you from having to use a hairdryer, Pipp," Zipp said.

"She brought a hairdryer?" Hitch asked.

"What didn't she bring?"

Pipp snorted. "Looking my best helps me feel my best. It's kinda how I roll."

Sunny shivered. "It is a bit colder than it was in Falmouth."

"That's because Falmouth is next to the sea, and places by the sea tend to be warmer in winter," Hitch explained. "Places inland tend to be colder."

"Shall we go?" Izzy asked.

"Sounds good to me," Zipp said, and they set off for the Trackside Bar.


Inside, the fire was roaring and people were sat at tables with hot drinks and food, cheerfully exchanging stories and listening to a very noisy brass band.

"Is it usually this loud?" Pipp asked.

"We take our brass bands very seriously," Izzy replied, as they headed for the outer door. "Good, got my ornament and.. hey Alphabittle!"

A familiar face turned on his stool, a cup of hot cocoa in his hand. "Hello Izzy!" he said, hopping out of his seat and wiping some cocoa dust out of his beard. "What brings you five to Bury?"

"We're here for the Christmas Tree Festival," Sunny smiled.

"Well, you came to the right spot," Alphabittle replied. "I see Izzy has already given you presents."

There was a brief silence. "Fancy a game of charades?" Izzy asked. "My ornament as the prize!"

Alphabittle looked a little surprised. "Are you sure?"

"Oh, I am," Izzy replied. "We fixed that engine of yours in less than 24 hours."

"Indeed you did," the bearded man said, and sat back in a chair. "Let's see you figure this one out."

The series of gestures he did made no sense whatsoever, so Izzy was left trying to guess at it. "A running quadruped who scratches its ears, jumps up a tree and eats mayonnaise?"

Alphabittle looked confused. "That's weirdly specific."

Izzy sighed. "I give up."

Alphabittle smiled. "It was my own name. Now the ornament, as we agreed."

Izzy handed it over, her head slightly low.

"How was she supposed to figure that out from the series of movements you made, given Alphabittle is a nickname?" Zipp asked.

"How did you know?"

"I heard one of your fellows at the bar address you as Arthur when we arrived."

Alphabittle smiled. "Well, well, aren't you a little detective. I can see where you get it from." He then handed a package over to them. "Here's a spare ornament I had made in case anybody gave theirs away."

Izzy nodded. "No worries. I made two of mine!" She produced another from her bag.

"You made two?" Alphabittle asked. "Why?"

"There's an old US Army saying; why have one of something when you can have two for double the cost?"

Just then, a bell began to ring. "Please place your ornaments on the tree, and we shall begin the candle lighting ceremony!"

"That's our cue!" Izzy said. "Time to go and place the ornaments on the tree!"

"Ornaments?" Sunny asked.

"I made ornaments for you guys as well," Izzy explained. "Twice, in case of sudden games of charades."

Outdoors, they were busy at the tree festival. The snow cascaded downwards and downwards, falling gently upon the festive scene. The brass band were still going strong with their music, and the sound of their playing was marvellous to behold. The five placed their ornaments, along with a sixth for Misty, before they headed away for the warmth.

"Frosty shivers!" shouted a local.

"What does that mean?" Hitch asked.

"It's a local winter greeting," Izzy explained. "The process of saying it makes you warmer!"

As they headed indoors, Alphabittle paused by where they'd left the ornaments, and took a close look at one of them. "Wait. That needlework looks familiar..."

Author's Note:

This chapter broadly adapts the Bridlewood portion of Winter Wishday, with some adjustments made to better fit the Northern England setting. Northern England is often bitterly cold during the winter and still sees regular snowfall on the mountaintops (trust me, it is lovely to see). The festive spirit is often alive and well up there as well.

It is true that there is a steam ban on some of the WCML; this makes organising railtours a bit hard. It is common, as a result, to have the first section of a London trip diesel worked, and then a steam locomotive takes over for the rest of the run.

If you look carefully, there's also a bit of foreshadowing too.

Next time: two aristocrats spin in a circle!