• Published 12th Mar 2023
  • 163 Views, 4 Comments

Sisters of the Storm - Volgrand



In a mountain town, far away from the protection of Celestia, a young mare, a healer, becomes friends with a winter wolf. But a new danger arrives, and this friendship may be the only hope of survival.

  • ...
 4
 163

4 Not-So-Secret secrets

As the wolf had predicted, the storm was very intense, punishing Mountain Peak for several weeks. The ponies, accustomed to these types of winters, spent their time sheltered in their homes. They occasionally went out to visit a neighbor and exchange provisions, see the healer, or make some repairs. But no one was foolish enough to venture out of the village in that weather.

Star learned a lot that winter. With nothing else interesting to do, and without a wolf to distract her every night, she punctually went to Silver Hooves' house. The first lessons were really boring. The teacher didn't make her memorize dozens, but hundreds of plants. Most were medicinal, some poisonous.

But after a few weeks, he began teaching her the practical part of the profession: Which plants were used to heal wounds, which to soothe pain, to sleep, not to dream... He even spoke to her about a love plant, although he never told her exactly which one it was.

As was usual at that time of year, the healer's work was reduced to treating chest illnesses, such as colds, pneumonia, or fevers. Star mechanically memorized which plant was used for what, although she still had a long way to go to understand why they were used.

Winter ended, and with it came spring. Or what Mountain Peak understood as such: a time that softened while the snow remained present. It was at the end of the season, almost summer, when the sun managed to overcome the cold. With the thaw, the river began to flow again, overflowing with water. The waterfall came back to life, and Mountain Peak resurrected as well.

The year passed quietly, peacefully, and lazily, as it usually did on top of the mountain. Occasionally, a daring merchant ventured up to the village, where he spent a few days staying with a neighbor selling his products.

Star turned eight years old.

When winter returned, the little pony eagerly awaited her friend's call. But that year, it was delayed. Normally, the wolves arrived shortly before the first snows. She didn't dare ask her mother about it. What if she found out that Star Whistle's best friend was the same wolf that saved her? It would cause a huge mess!

Shortly before the really harsh part of winter began, a howl echoed in the night. Star immediately woke up. It was her. It was her friend. Quietly, she put on her winter coat, opened the window, and left the house. As always, leaving a light behind to find her way back.

She walked as quickly and silently as she could to the area where they usually met. She didn't think about hiding to surprise her friend, nor did she even remember that she wanted to win at the wolf game. She just knew that her friend was there.
She reached the meeting place and saw nothing... until the wolf rose, camouflaged on the snow. Both had grown a lot that year. The wolf was already starting to have the bearing of an adult hunter. Star ran towards her friend, who only waited to receive her, and they collided in a 'wolf embrace': nuzzling each other's necks.

It's not that the wolf wasn't happy to see her friend. But for a winter wolf, appearances were everything. That's why they were the lords of winter.

"I thought you wouldn't come," said Star Whistle, speaking in wolf.

"I could barely make it. The packs have passed far from the mountain. Today is the only night we'll stay close to your village."

Star stepped back and looked at her with bright eyes. "You're only staying for tonight?"

"Yes. We have a lot to catch up on, my friend."

The little pony looked down... and didn't look up. The wolf was surprised, what was wrong with her friend? She approached a little, lowering her head, trying to see the pony's face... when she looked up. The she-wolf realized her mistake too late: Star Whistle jumped on her, throwing her off balance, and the two friends rolled in the snow, fighting to win the battle.
A few seconds later, the pony stood over her fallen friend.

"I killed you, my friend! I hunted a wolf!"

The wolf stood up and shook the snow off her fur. "You used the surprise well, pony, but it won't happen again."

Saying this, she jumped on the pony, who dodged the charge and ran away.

They played, talked, and laughed for several hours. It was an intense, fun night, and too short for the young friends. But all good things must come to an end, and shortly before dawn, the wolf returned to her own. They said goodbye with a long hug, promising to see each other every year.


The years passed, endless and intense, just as children experience them. Mountain Peak didn't change too much. There were some births and some deaths. A family asked to settle in the town, which the inhabitants happily agreed to. They were a couple of artisan ponies with a foal one year older than Star. The neighbors helped the young family build their house, an opportunity that all the young ones took advantage of to learn how it was done.

The foal was called Silver Boulder. He had brown fur, brown eyes, and very short reddish mane. He was a very curious and outgoing pony: He loved to play explorers, and Mountain Peak was every little explorer's paradise. Star became very good friends with him. She, Silver Boulder, and Mulberry spent their days playing, searching for hidden passages between the caves under the waterfall, or building improvised wooden shelters, supported by rocks, to hide from their imaginary enemies. Star had made a very good pony friend for the first time in Mountain Peak. Although she had to admit that she was getting along better with Mulberry every day too.

This didn't stop the little filly from eagerly waiting for winter to come so she could see her friend again. Every year, as soon as the first howls were heard, Star waited at night to leave home and meet the wolf.

The winter when Star turned twelve, something very dangerous happened to her: a snowstorm struck the mountain when she was with her friend. She had to run back to the town, and even accompanied by the wolf, she almost didn't make it. She decided then she had to do something to avoid being in that situation again.

The following year, during summer, Star secretly gathered materials and tools near her meeting area. She found an ideal place: between a large rock and a tree, far away from the path that led to the town. That would be the place where she would build her shelter. It took her all summer to finish it since she couldn't be away from the town for too long to keep it a secret. But in the end, she got a small wooden structure that, although not very pretty, would serve her as a refuge if she was caught in a storm.

But, not satisfied with this, she decided to make a fireplace. She made a hole in a wall and put a circle of stones just outside the cabin. There she could light a fire if she had to spend a night under the storm. She was dying to show it to her friend. And she could make tea! Their next meetings would be very fun and warm under the heat of the fire.


One night, the following winter, both friends sat in front of the flames. There was a light snowstorm and it was quite cold, but they felt the warmth of the fire on their faces. The wind carried fast snowflakes that, like needles, hit against the fur of the wolf and Star. The sky loomed above them, but the clouds prevented them from seeing any stars. The flames, rising towards the dark sky, covered what had been Star Whistle's cabin. The only thing that survived was the circle of stones in which the uncontrolled bonfire had started.

"I told you there would be too much fire, Poni,"

"Shut up," replied Star with a nervous tic in her eye.

Star was angry. Very angry, but with herself. How did she not think that the heat would set fire to the cabin wall? All summer working... for this! The wolf watched her grumbling quietly. She could understand why Star was angry, as she had just lost her den. But truth be told, she never understood the ponies' love for fire. Didn't they see that it was dangerous?

Suddenly, the wind brought a distant sound. It was very similar to that of a frightened herd of elk, but much more organized. She looked up at the mountain and saw small glows illuminating the pony village.

"You must go back. Your pack has seen the fire," said the wolf.

"What?!" Star looked where her friend was looking... and also noticed the glow. It was true, she could see some torches moving among the houses. "No! Oh, no! Oh, no!" cried Star.

"What are you so afraid of?" asked the wolf.

"Mine will never understand that we're friends. They could attack you!" Star was so nervous that she didn't think to speak in wolf. "And... and they will be very angry with me, for sure."

The wolf pondered, watching the pony pacing nervously. She would never understand the ponies. Among wolves, although it was strange, no one objected to a pony being the Seer's friend. Although, of course, no wolf expected a pony to try to devour a wolf.

But first things first: Star Whistle needed someone to show her the way forward.

"You'll have to be as elusive as in our games and go back to yours without being seen," said the wolf.

Star nodded.

"You also have to go back to your pack," Star said in wolf.

"I will. Be careful, Poni. We'll see each other again, friend, but it will probably be next year."

They said goodbye with a wolf hug before the she-wolf ran off into the darkness, down the mountain. The pony took a detour back to the village. Her house was on the side, away from the river. With a bit of luck, she could sneak into her room without anyone noticing her absence... But what if her mother had already noticed she was gone? It would be a disaster. She would find out everything! And Star had never been good at inventing lies.

When she was a short distance from the village, she could see several neighbors with torches on their hooves, looking towards the huge bonfire that Star had accidentally started.

"Come on, we have to see what happened. Maybe there are injured," somepony shouted.

Star calmed down: they weren't looking for her. Crouching in the snow, she slowly moved towards her house, always staying out of sight. The whole village was up, watching for anyone who needed help. In the end, the young pony reached the closest corner to her window. It was still open. Her mother probably hadn't even entered the room. Luck was with her!

She came out of hiding and galloped the remaining meters to her window. But just as she was about to reach it, she heard a voice.

"Star! Where were you? Didn't you see the fire?"

The pony turned to meet brown eyes.

"Uh... hi, Silver Boulder. Yes, I saw the fire," Star added with a laugh.

Silver Boulder looked her up and down. "But... why is your coat covered in snow? It looks like an avalanche fell on you! And why aren't you with the others?"

"Well... I was just looking to see..."

Star had ran out of ideas when someone shouted:

"Star Whistle!"

Glittering Light appeared around the corner, looking at the small pony severely. Star shrank back. It was over, she had been caught. Now she would have to tell everyone that her best friend was a she-wolf, that they had been meeting every winter for years, and that she had caused the fire by building a secret cabin. The ponies would chase the wolf and banish her from the mountain forever.

"Star Whistle, what are you doing here?" asked Glittering Light. Silver Boulder moved out of her way, as she seemed very angry.

"I... mommy, I..."

"I've told you a thousand times not to go out the window! What are doors for? And look at you!! Did you fall on your back in the snow again, huh?"

Star stared open-mouthed at her mother. She had given her the perfect excuse! But had she ever told her that before? Who cared!

"Yes... yes! I jumped out the window and fell. I'm sorry, Mom..."

"Well, you'll be sorry tomorrow too because you'll have to do the laundry."

"But, Mom...!" exclaimed Star.

"No buts! And let's go, both of you, to the center of the village until the mountain fire situation is clarified."

Saying this, Glittering made Silver Boulder walk in front of her. But before turning her back on her daughter, she looked at her with a half-smile and winked at her. It didn't take long for Star Whistle to realize what that meant.

Her mother knew. She knew!

And she had just covered for her in front of Silver Boulder.


The neighbors took almost an hour to go back and forth from the site of the fire. The only thing they found were the remains of a shelter built between a tree and a rock. The circle of stones from the fire pit helped them to know that this was the one that had caused the fire.

Additionally, they also saw wolf and pony tracks. Fortunately for Star, ponies are not great trackers and they didn't find out much more. Theories ran wild. Some said they were travelers attacked by winter wolves. Some claimed that a mountain spirit had set the shelter on fire, but this story did not have many followers. But what kind of travelers carry wood to build shelters at night? The village would have a topic of conversation for a long time.

When everything calmed down, Star went back home. Her mother seemed serious but not angry. She closed the door behind her and immediately said, "Sit down, Star. We need to talk."

Star sat in front of the kitchen table. She felt butterflies in her stomach from the uncertainty. Her mother heated water to serve tea. "How long have you been meeting with the wolves?"

"But...how do you know? Nobody has ever seen me!" exclaimed Star.

"It's true," responded Glittering Star, "but I'm your mother and I've noticed that many nights you sneak out of the house. Always during winter, and always after hearing the howl of a winter wolf."

Star realized she had never been able to deceive her mother, she had always known. But why had she never tried to stop her? The filly didn't understand anything.

"So, how long have you been visiting the wolves?" her mother asked again.

"Six years, mommy. Since the winter after I got lost. But they're not wolves: it's just one wolf. The same one that saved me from the storm. She's my age, I think."

"It's a female? I see. And you can talk to her?"

Star nodded.

"When you learn to distinguish the growls, it's easy."

The teapot whistled. The mother got up and poured two cups of tea with sweet herbs and served one to her daughter. She sat on the other side of the table before speaking again.

"Star, I've never said anything about all this for a very simple reason: if I had tried to stop you, you would have ended up escaping or worse, the village would have found out. And if you've been seeing the wolf for so many years, I'm sure she doesn't want to harm you. Otherwise"

Star didn't need her mother to finish the sentence. She still remembered the first time the wolf 'killed' her while playing. If she was alive, it was because her friend had never wanted to hunt her. They really were friends.

"You made the fire, right?" Glittering asked.

"Yes," Star began, "it was a shelter in case I got caught in a storm. But I made a fire and..."

"Okay, I just wanted to know that. It's a good idea."

Glittering drank her tea again.

"You'll have to find another place to meet, my dear daughter. A more hidden place, where you can build a real cabin. I'll help you with that, but it will have to be in the summer. I'm just going to ask you one thing, Star."

"What?" asked the filly.

"That this remains a secret. Don't tell anyone, not even your friends."

Star promised she wouldn't do it, she had been doing it for years, anyway. She didn't plan on doing it, but not because of the promise itself: she didn't want to risk the ponies trying to do something against her wolf friend.

Mother and daughter finished their teas and then went to sleep.


At the foot of the mountain, the wolves welcomed their future leader. They were uneasy, as the storm had brought them the smell of fire. Although they never felt that the seer was in danger, they relaxed when they could see her with their own eyes. The current leader of the pack approached.

"The packs are moving away. We must depart."

"I know."

Wolves are beings who say just the right and necessary words. The she-wolf looked towards the mountain with her seer's eye. She felt no death or pain in it, which indicated to her that Star Whistle was okay. But suddenly she noticed her vision was darkening until she couldn't see the mountain anymore. Not the snow. Not her brothers...

Her seer's eye was showing her something.

She felt hunger. She felt a great emptiness. She felt that her death was near. She saw again, through eyes that weren't hers.

She was flying. It was cold, very windy, and snowing. She was lost, alone, and weak. She wouldn't survive.

And suddenly she felt warmth, a warmth that she felt in her spirit, not her skin. She felt that she had a chance to survive...

The she-wolf felt someone push her. She shook her head, recovering her own senses. A wolf had nudged her with its snout when it noticed that the seer was in a trance.

"What have you seen?" he asked.

The she-wolf, the seer of the Winter Wolves didn't answer, for she didn't know herself.

Author's Note:

I realize that, in Spanish, "hijo/hija" (son/daughter) sounds very familiar, close to a pet name. However, "daughter" to me sounds way more serious