• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 4,375 Views, 32 Comments

When The Moon Comes Over The Library - JC Borch



When The Moon Comes Over The Library

  • ...
20
 32
 4,375

Part 1/2

When the Moon comes over the library
Every beam brings a dream, dear, of you
Once again we stroll through Ponyville
Through that rose-covered town we knew

EQUESTRIAN SHIPPING SHORT STORY 03: WHEN THE MOON COMES OVER THE LIBRARY PART 1/2

When the Moon comes over the library
Every beam brings a dream, dear, of you
Once again we stroll through Ponyville
Through that rose-covered town we knew

EQUESTRIAN SHIPPING SHORT STORY 03: WHEN THE MOON COMES OVER THE LIBRARY PART 1/2

It was filly Twilight’s first time sleeping away from home and she was rolling around on the large bed and flailing her limbs, too nervous to properly settle down. Celestia had always been kind but also terribly busy with duties. Though having a room available to her, Twilight had been allowed to sleep in the Princess’ chamber on her first night. Celestia returned shortly after to check up on Twilight and found her new student with nose buried in a large book. It was with a stab of melancholy that she saw what Twilight was reading.

“Twilight dear, where did you find that book?” Celestia laid down next to Twilight and wrapped her wing around her.

“I can’t sleep unless I have something to read.” Twilight turned a page without looking up, then suddenly pointed to a specific page. “Who is this?”

It was a scrapbook and Twilight was pointing to one of the few accurate portraits of Luna in existence, a special commission that Celestia had ordered many years after her imprisonment. She traced a hoof over the stern-looking face and smiled, a tear forming in the corner of her eye.

“I think it’s time that you went to sleep. Night is falling quickly and we have a big day tomorrow.” Celestia gently took the book with her magic, closing it and sending it off to its place high on a shelf.

“She’s pretty. Who is she?” Twilight asked and looked up at her mentor with big eyes.

“She’s....” Celestia began before choking on her words. She simply closed her eyes and smiled. “She was my sister, but she had to go away.”

“Why?” Twilight got up on her hooves and jumped up and down excitedly.

“It’s time for bed now,” Celestia said and nuzzled Twilight. The Princess’s horn glowed and a blanket enveloped the little filly. “Are you all set for – TICKET?”

Twilight jolted awake and looked around confused. A portly brown earth pony in a blue conductor’s uniform stood over her. She smiled sheepishly and levitated a ticket from the bag next to her on the seat. The conductor nodded in agreement and went on his business, leaving a sighing Twilight.

Her brow furrowed as she looked up at the declining sun and sighed deeply. The train had just entered the mountains and Canterlot still seemed so far away. She made sure no one was looking before rummaging through satchel and fished out a blue book. A scroll rolled out into her lap and she put the book away momentarily.

“Dear Twilight Sparkle, thou art cordially invited to partake in an official dinner with us. Come thee as quickly as thou can. Signed Celestia. Your teacher. The sun goddess.” She read the message aloud in hopes that it would be any clearer but she shook her head again and stuffed the scroll back in the saddle. She returned her attention to the book that had been embossed with her cutie mark and read “Twilight’s diary” in fine, gilded letters. A small pencil had been wedged into the binding which she now used to pass the time.

“I have always been fascinated with Luna ever since I was a little filly and I was very excited to meet her when I faced Nightmare Moon. When I saw Luna in person for the first time though, I was disappointed. She looked like nothing more than a filly – she was even younger than me. I completely pushed her out of my mind after that. But on Nightmare Night just a year later, I found the mare I had first seen in Celestia’s scrapbook but not the one of my heart. Luna is so... so domineering, so loud and so out of sync with modern Equestria.” Twilight put down the pencil and looked at the creeping Moon outside. “By Celestia, what has Luna been doing since her awakening?”

She left the diary for a moment, before hastily adding at the bottom. “But I believe I can teach her. I know she’s just struggling to fit in after all these years away.”

The Moon was bright when the train stopped again, brighter than it had been in a long while. A royal guard was waiting for her as she stepped out. Not one of Celestia’s fine white stallions, but one of Luna’s creepy bat-like ones wearing twisted black armour. Nodding in recognition of Twilight’s appearance, the guard turned on the spot and she followed.

“All of Celestia’s guards must be retired for the evening,” she mused. “But then, why would the Princess invite me so late?”

The guard entered the castle with Twilight following right behind him. He made some strange turns and Twilight was eventually unsure where she was. The hall was dimly lit with smoking torches and she could barely see the thick carpet beneath her hooves.

“Are you sure that we are going the right way?” Twilight eventually asked. A grotesque statue grimacing from a niche made her flinch but the guard simply nodded. Twilight took a deep breath to steel herself. They walked still for a long while, passing long tapestries depicting ancient pony history. He didn’t stop until they came to a pair of tall wooden doors. The guard pushed them open and placed himself impassively next to them.

“Twilight Sparkle, it is an honour to meet you again!” a voice boomed and blew her mane like a strong gale.

An enthusiastic smile formed on Twilight’s lips as she hurried inside the room, a large dinner hall with a long wooden table and not much else. Luna sat at the other end in front of a crackling fire, and Twilight hurried down the row of empty chairs. Only two seats had been decorated, Luna’s and the one on her left.

“I thought the Princess would be here,” Twilight stated casually and took her place next to Luna.

“Indeed! But our royal sister had last minute arrangements that she couldn’t cancel.”

“You don’t have to use the Royal Canterlot voice, Luna. It’s just you and me here,” Twilight said encouragingly and flattened her hair.

“Right. So we are.” Luna looked away to clear her throat. “We do trust you aren’t inconvenienced about us taking our honoured sister’s place.”

“Actually, I had been hoping to see you again.”

Luna repaid the smile awkwardly, not sure how to respond. “We hear many good things about you, Twilight Sparkle. Wine?” A large green bottle levitated in front of Twilight.

“Oh, no, thank you anyway,” Twilight said.

“Nonsense! This is Château de Gryffindor,” Luna said and tipped a sloshing purple liquid into Twilight’s goblet. As if on a cue, a unicorn in a white chef’s smock entered the room. He pushed a screeching cart slowly up the room towards them.

“Your trout, madam,” the unicorn said and levitated the plates in front of both Luna and Twilight, then hastily exited again.

Twilight took a large sip from the wine and nearly gagged. Luna on the other hoof gulped it all down and proceeded to pour them both a new helping.

“I never got to ask you,” Twilight said between sampling the wine and eating her fish. “Where’ve you been all this time? You’ve missed the Grand Galloping Gala and the return of Discord, just to name a few.”

“Yes, and we hear how you take care of him as well. There hasn’t been much need for us here.” Luna dabbed her lips with a handkerchief and then caught Twilight’s eyebrows furrowed in concern. Her glass was empty so Luna poured her another one. “We do apologise that we could not be there for your significant events. We have been busy visiting the outer provinces as part of a foreign relation tactic. Our royal sister prefers diplomacy to war, though we’d much rather have them all on the sword.”

Twilight looked horrified at Luna and her stone face. When she saw the look Twilight gave her, she softened considerably and continued in a less monotone voice. “We were supposed to laugh at the end, weren’t we?” Twilight sighed deeply and clutched her chest, but Luna looked away to the moon shining through a high window. “Sorry. This fun thing is still new to us.”

“I’m just glad that you visited Ponyville for Nightmare Night. I had completely given up on seeing you again,” Twilight said and carried on the conversation like nothing had happened, still in her eager voice. She took another big gulp of her wine and Luna filled up her goblet. From the sloshing sound, it was half empty.

“We couldn’t very well miss a festival in our own honour. Though it wasn’t quite as we expected it.” Luna gave a sigh, then cut herself another bite of trout.

“It wasn’t that bad, Princess.” Twilight swallowed a bite of her fish and continued. “We’ve grown up with all those tales of eternal night and such, so we were just a little, uh… unsure what to expect.”

“Yes, we certainly found out what a horrible monster we have been made out to be.” Luna looked at Twilight with eyes hoping to turn the subject somewhere else. “How has our sister been, in the last millennia? We have rarely gotten a chance to talk and she does not like to dwell much on the past.”

“I wouldn’t know about the last millennia, Princess, but Celestia is a very kind ruler and a good teacher.” Twilight sipped her wine.

“If only ponies knew,” Luna muttered. “We suppose you have learned a lot about magic? Our royal sister always tells us how talented you are.”

“Well, you know, maybe just a little.” Twilight blushed, even more so from the wine that she was partaking in. She took another large swig and, as usual, Luna levitated the bottle to fill up but Twilight waved her hoof. She burped and tried to clear her head by shaking it. “I certainly... try to... always... learn...”

And then Twilight passed out right in the middle of the trout, the last pieces of her fish smearing all over her face. Luna was stunned for a moment before colour flushed into her cheeks. She rose from the seat and slammed her hoofs on the table so that her glass spilled wine all over it.

“Twilight Sparkle, thou darest to fall asleep during our banquet?” Luna shouted with eyes turning into white orbs. “We demand that thee wake up this instant.”

But Twilight was far gone by now, her warm drool falling in a long thread down on to her plate. Luna looked close to fly off the handle when a warm light burst opened a pair of dark windows up above. The ball of light congregated on the floor, swirled and became a pegasus unicorn with white coat and wearing royal regalia.

“You didn’t serve her the bottle of griffon wine?” Celestia asked serenely.

“We always partake of the griffin wine from the cellar when discussing business,” Luna said furiously, her eyes flaring.

“You forget, dear sister, those bottle are eighty proof. Twilight is not used to such hard liquor.” Celestia placed Twilight on Luna’s back with her magic. She snored quietly and was limp as a rag doll. “Bring her back to the library.”

Celestia kissed Luna on the forehead. Luna hung her head and craned her neck to see the sleeping form with dawning realisation. She nodded and spread her wings.

“Next time you want to see Twilight, you don’t have to pretend to be me,” Celestia said with a smile.

Luna blushed momentarily as she flew out of the window, towards the Moon where she disappeared in a flash.

***

Twilight opened her eyes blearily and got out of bed with a moan. It took her a moment of collecting her vision to realise she was back in the library. Burping, clarity hit her.

“Spike. Spike... SPIKE!” she yelled and tiptoed anxiously back and forth around her bedroom.

“What?” he muttered from under his blanket. He poked his head out of his basket and looked up at Twilight. She took his face into her hooves.

“What happened yesterday?” Twilight asked desperately and shook the baby dragon.

“I don’t know,” Spike mumbled. “I think Luna came back with you last night.”

“Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no,” Twilight said and released Spike again to pace her bedroom. “I fell asleep!”

“Well, she left you a note,” Spike said and pointed to the bedroom stand.

Twilight quickly grabbed it and ripped off the seal with her magic. She went through the scribbled letters in haste, and then once again in a more careful manner. She gave a long sigh and placed it back on the stand.

“Spike, take a letter,” Twilight said more calmly. “Regardless of what Luna wrote, I’ll be sending her a letter of apology.”

“All right, but what about your plans for the day?” Spike asked and held out a scroll. It came undone and rolled out along the floor past her.

“What?” Twilight said and paused to look at Spike in wonder.

“Yeah, there’s your tea party with Fluttershy, Pinkie wanted you to try a new game she invented, Rainbow Dash wanted you to take her time, Applejack...” Spike droned on until Twilight picked up the scroll from the other end.

“What was I thinking, planning all this on the day after the banquet? Nothing to be done about it now, I’ll just have to write my apology tonight. I mean, Luna isn’t even awake in the days, is she?” She wasn’t expecting an answer and rushed out of the library, leaving Spike standing with the list.

Her first appointment was getting dangerously due and a sense of urgency entered Twilight’s steps as she tore out from the library. She arrived breathlessly only minutes later at Fluttershy’s cottage. The sound of singing accompanied her on the last leg of her run. Fluttershy flew around outside with various animals following her.

“I’m sorry, Fluttershy. It got a little late yesterday and I overslept,” Twilight said and stopped to take a breath just short of the cottage.

“Oh, that’s okay,” Fluttershy said and smiled, her wings flapping slowly. “The tea is just ready too. I made lemon, my favourite! Oh, but I don’t know if you like lemon too. How selfish of me,” she said and looked away.

“That’s okay, I like lemon,” Twilight panted and took a moment to catch her breath. She wiped her brow and followed Fluttershy around to her backyard. A tree stump had been decorated with a plaid cloth where stood two plates with matching cup and saucers and a big pot of tea.

“Rarity tells me you went to Canterlot yesterday.” Fluttershy poured Twilight a cup and hummed slightly, then looked up at Twilight. “How did it go?”

“Ugh, disastrous,” Twilight said. She sat down in the grass and her head flopped down on the table. Her stomach gave a loud growl and, as if on cue, a raccoon came carrying a tray of scones.

“Oh, my. The Princess didn’t chide you for your, uhm... spell experimentation?” Fluttershy asked delicately.

“No, well, the banquet started fine,” Twilight said and took a scone. She gave herself a few moments to chew before continuing. “Celestia had some last minute plans so Luna had to take over and... Fluttershy, you’re not still afraid of her?”

“Well you know, maybe a little, I mean...” Fluttershy sputtered, having visibly shrunk at the mention of Luna’s name. She swallowed her own scone and looked away shyly. “She’s just a little frightening and loud, is all.”

“Well,” Twilight continued and sipped her tea. “The dinner went well enough and it was interesting to finally have an opportunity to talk with her. But I... fell asleep,” Twilight said shamefacedly and avoided Fluttershy’s eyes. “I guess it must’ve been the wine, but I’ve never been so embarrassed in my whole life!”

“She served you wine?” Fluttershy asked puzzled. “I didn’t know you drink.”

“I don’t, but she was insistent and I just wanted the night to go as planned. Oh, this was my big chance to know her and then that happened. She’ll never take me seriously now,” Twilight said on the verge of tears.

Before any of them could say another word, Rarity appeared from behind. Angel closed the gate behind her and showed her to the party.

“I do hope I’m not intruding,” Rarity said and sat down between Twilight and Fluttershy.

“Of course not!” Fluttershy said as the enthusiastic host. “There’s plenty of tea, and I have more scones in the kitchen.”

“What brings you here?” Twilight asked surprised.

“Why, I simply had to hear how your dinner with the Princess went. Spike told me where you could be found,” Rarity explained.

It was obvious that she really wanted to hear more about Canterlot, but she was also genuinely interested in Twilight’s night. “Don’t worry, sweetie, I doubt Luna would hold a grudge.”

***

It was an exhausted Twilight that returned near evening to her study, sitting before her desk with quill and paper before her. She gave a weary sigh and looked up into the twinkling stars behind her window.

“Are you out there somewhere?” she wondered aloud, before dipping the quill in ink. “Dear Luna,” Twilight read aloud as she wrote the words down. “No, too informal.” She pressed the paper to a ball and chucked it away. “Dear Princess Luna... no, too personal. To Princess Luna... not personal enough.” It didn’t take her long to fill her basket with small paper balls. “Ugh, I’ve never written to Luna before!” Twilight said frustrated and planted her face on the desk.

Just outside her windows lay Luna on a cloud and peered down at the library. She was unseen against the dark background, a worried frown creasing her face. She was shifting her front hoofs nervously around deep in thought when an owl sat down next to her and hooted up at her.

“We welcome you, creature of the night,” Luna announced, her voice quieter than usual. “What tidings do you bring your master?” The owl gave a few hoots. “So you’re Twilight’s pet? We should have known she would pick such a magnificent bird as you.” Again, the owl hooted. “You really think so?” Hoot, hoot.

Luna closed her eyes and bowed her head, then took a deep breath. The owl flapped away again to resume its place on the perch next to Twilight. When she opened her eyes again, the strength and exuberance that she was known for again dominated her face. With a smile, she spread her wings to magnificent fullness and called upon a single strike of lightning to illuminate her entrance through Twilight’s window.

“It is we, your Princess Luna, that has come for a visit!” Luna proclaimed loudly and made Twilight fall backwards from her chair. Several papers stacked on her desk got caught in the sudden breeze and littered the floor.

“Princess!” Twilight yelped and jumped down. “I didn’t expect to see you again.”

“It is true that we have many duties that we must see to, but none as important as to visit our loving subjects!” Luna shouted eagerly and landed on the floor next to Twilight.

“And we welcome you, Princess, once we’ve gotten some sleep!” Spike said, turning over in his basket and forcing his pillow as tightly over his head as it would come.

“Maybe keep your voice down just a little bit?” Twilight suggested and smiled.

“Oh. Of course... Are we interrupting something?” Luna asked and took note of all the papers resting on the floor.

“What, these? No, just a bit of fruitless research,” Twilight said calmly and began collecting the papers. Unlike the apology she had been just writing, these papers were covered with strange symbols next to English letters.

“We recognise these,” Luna stated as she grabbed one of the many wayward papers. “We did not think to see the old language ever again.”

“You can read this?” Twilight asked surprised and nearly dropped the stack she was levitating before her. Luna nodded in mild amusement.

“Were you transcribing a book?” Luna asked, to which Twilight nodded and placed the papers back on the desk again. “May we see it?”

“I borrowed it from the Canterlot library in hopes of understanding more about pony history, but I have never seen this language before,” Twilight said and looked through the many shelves covering the walls. Owlowiscious sprang from his perch and quickly found the book in question, taking it into his talons and dropping it down on the desk.

Luna’s horn glowed and the pages in the books fluttered slowly, her eyes quickly skimming the contents. A ghost of melancholy passed before her and she quickly closed the book again.

“Is something wrong?” Twilight asked concernedly and came up next to Luna.

“This book is about us... about us and Celestia,” Luna said with little emotion left to her voice. She stared hard at the dusty blue cover and the few weird words inscribed there.

“Thank Celestia. I was starting to worry I might have gotten an ancient cookbook,” Twilight said and wiped her brow.

“We can tell you the contents of this book by heart,” Luna said.

“Really?” Little stars began to twinkle in Twilight’s eyes, like a child opening a present and seeing what they wished for more than anything in the world.

“Yes, because we wrote it ourselves.”

“You wrote this?” Twilight asked incredulously. Luna looked at Twilight with a pained expression that told of remorseful memories.

“When we were younger, we had the whole of the night to ourselves,” Luna explained and fixed eye contact with Twilight. “We had nothing to do, so we wrote. And when we didn’t write, we thought – about everything. Perhaps if we had had friends, our thoughts would not have darkened and allowed the nightmare to take a hold of our heart.”

“We can talk about something else, Princess. How about I make us some coffee?” Twilight said with a cautious little smile, but Luna turned her gaze towards the moon.

“We would you like to listen to our story. We believe you are the only one who would understand,” Luna said.

The serious, impassive tone in Luna’s voice made Twilight very silent. There were no disruptive noises from the outside and the quiet hung like a thick carpet. The two lay down on the hard wooden floor with their hooves underneath them. Luna closed her eyes and took a moment to herself, then hardened her face again and avoided Twilight’s gaze.

“We will not discuss how alicorns are created. Suffice to say that we had parents and that we were born like other ponies,” Luna began. Twilight swallowed every word with reverent silence, Owlowiscious observing them from his perch. “Pegasus unicorns are ponies in possession of extraordinary magical powers, as we are born with the magic of not only pegasuses and unicorns, but earth ponies as well.”

A long time passed and Twilight listened with great interest. Never once did she interrupt the Princess but sat quietly on the floor. Luna covered every subject she had studied in vivid detail and spoke in great lengths about her theories and the hard facts about alicorns. There were things that pained her like her creation at the horn of Starswirl the Bearded and there were things that elated her like moments she had shared with Celestia.

“There is nothing in this world that lasts forever. Similarly, pegasus unicorns will one day die, though we may live for millennia.”

A single beam of light fell upon Luna’s head and she closed her eyes. Twilight’s eyelids were drooping, but she was hanging on to every words. She looked up astonished to see that day had broken.

Luna opened her eyes and looked at Twilight as impassive as she always did. “It is time for us to leave, but we shall recommend you a tome,” Luna said and flexed her wings. “Study it well, Twilight Sparkle, and learn the language of your ancestors.” Luna took a quill from its inkwell and scrawled a short note on one of the many blank pieces of paper on Twilight’s desk.

“Princess, thank you,” Twilight said and gave Luna a warm smile.

“And we thank you for listening,” Luna replied softly and got up on her hooves. Before Twilight could say another word, Luna was off again and teleported as soon as she got high enough up into the sky.

She appeared again a little while later in her chamber where she collapsed on her bed. It was a small circular room placed at the top of a spire. Blinds had been drawn across all the windows and cast the room in darkness. Luna closed her eyes, but a small beam of light interrupted her before she could doze off.

“You were out late,” Celestia said teasingly and nuzzled her sister. “Visiting a friend?”

“Twilight Sparkle reminded us why we should never have friends,” Luna said sombrely with her eyes still closed.

“Oh?” Celestia cooed.

“The only one we need in our life is you, dear sister. You won’t die on us.”

Celestia chuckled lightheartedly and wrapped a warm wing around her sister, so that her head came to a rest next to Luna’s. “I learned a long time ago that a few fleeting years of happiness is preferable to an eternity of regret.”

Luna opened a single eye. Although standing there in the gloom with a serene smile on her face, Luna could detect a faint whisper of melancholy from her sister. Celestia turned away again and spoke:

“It’s good to have you back, sister, but I think Twilight will be very disappointed if you don’t visit her again.”

The small beam of light that had illuminated her room vanished with Celestia. Luna was again alone, left with her thoughts and a smirk forming on her lips.

***

It was night in the old library in Ponyville. The tome that Luna had recommended to help with the translating had not yet arrived from Canterlot, so Twilight sat by candlelight and tried to grasp some meaning from the pictures instead. As she flicked through the pages, it became apparent that Luna had skipped some parts yesterday. Twilight was eager to learn more about it, but understood that those were things the Princess found hard to discuss.

She was studying an old drawing of a winged and horned pony encased in light when she heard a knock on her door. Curious as to who could be visiting at this hour, Twilight alighted from her chair and sprinted down the stairs. Spike was snoring in his basket and would not be of help at this hour. Like, Owlowiscious was a bird with no door-opening digits.

When she opened the door, a crack of thunder illuminated the dark figure outside. Twilight jerked involuntarily backwards.

“P-Princess!” Twilight stammered.

“Good evening, Twilight Sparkle. May we come in?” Luna asked.

“Of course,” Twilight said happily and held the door. “Do you have to do that though?”

“Do what?” Luna asked puzzled and entered the library.

“You know, with the lightning and all? I don’t even know how you do it... there’s not a cloud in the sky,” Twilight said and looked up into the heavens before closing the door.

“But that is how we always present ourselves,” Luna said defensively. “Exerting one’s power is needed for subjects to understand.”

“I do understand,” Twilight said and smiled awkwardly. “Perhaps it’s time to change some of your traditions, though? It has been a thousand years since you were sealed away.”

“Yes, that is partly why we came here,” Luna said with her back turned at Twilight. “We have always shunned this “friendship” because of our longevity. We have realised the error in such a commitment. Twilight Sparkle, we wish to know more about the friendship that freed us from the darkness that clutched at our heart.”

She turned suddenly towards Twilight with an excited face. Another strike of lightning illuminated her ominously.

“I’ll be happy to, Princess, but could you please stop that?”

“Oh. Sorry, we hardly even realise we’re doing it,” Luna said softly and sat down on the floor.

“Well, I’m not even sure where to begin,” Twilight said and sat down opposite her.

“Do not be modest, Twilight Sparkle! We hear many great things about you from our royal sister,” Luna proclaimed, her voice slowly climbing. Twilight blushed and looked away. She took a deep breath before replying.

“All right, I’ll do my best! Hold on, I’ve got just the thing,” Twilight said and went upstairs to her bed. From the trunk at the foot end she took a book with her magic and carried it downstairs to a waiting Luna.

“Pray tell, will you be reading to us from a book?” Luna asked with some concern.

Twilight shook her head and lay down on the floor like they had done the other night in her study. She opened the book and pictures of all her friends smiled out from all the pages. Intrigued, Luna scooted closer to Twilight so the two sat down next to each other. She could smell Twilight’s hair and feel her warmth next to her, making her cheeks flush. Fortunately, Twilight was too consumed with the book to notice. Her paced, rhythmic heartbeat was something unusual to Luna and she realised what she had been missing all these years.

For hours, Twilight recounted the stories behind the pictures and Luna felt herself engaged in the narration. She was quiet and only commented now and then, sometimes even inquiring. It was nice, she thought, to lie here next to Twilight, just listening to her soft voice and merry laughter. She felt a joy that she had not encountered since Nightmare Night. No, this was something greater. Although Luna sat very still, her mind was in turmoil.

When the first rays of sun crept into the library, they were both laughing heartily.

“And then she said, ‘Oatmeal, are you crazy?’”

“Truly, this Pinkie Pie is rather arbitrary!” Luna said and wiped her eyes, then felt the warmth of the Sun on the tip of her nose. “We would wish to hear more, but it is time for us again to depart.”

“What, already?” Twilight asked and looked around to see the library bathed in the light of early morning.

“We have enjoyed this night thoroughly and we would like to repeat it again some other time soon,” Luna said, back to her firm self. “Before we take our leave, however, we would wish to do an act of boldness and we wish you to forgive us if taking offence.”

“Huh?” Twilight barely managed to get her puzzled face back towards Luna before the Princess planted a light kiss on her muzzle. It was unlike anything Twilight had ever experienced, unlike anything she had or could read in a book.

“It is ancient Canterlot tradition for two friends to share muzzles,” Luna rationalised. “Fare thee well, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight stood dazed on the ground floor of her basement for a few moments until Spike came down the stairs. By that time, the Princess was gone and Twilight pressed a hoof against her mouth. She was not entirely sure what had happened and looked down at her muzzle in puzzlement.

“Another late night with Princess Luna?” Spike asked and rubbed his eyes.

“Yes,” Twilight said nonplussed, lost in thought for a moment. “I think I’ll take a nap,” she finally concluded.

“A nap? But what about your list for today?” Spike asked and drew a long scroll from out of his unseen pockets.

“We can forget about the list for today,” Twilight said with a dreamy smile on her lips as she went upstairs to her inviting bed. “And could you find me a list on old Canterlot etiquette while I sleep?”

“Uh, sure,” Spike said and scratched his head, confused at his observation of Twilight. If he could see himself from time to time, he might have recognised the look on Twilight’s face as one he himself wore around Rarity.

When she awoke again in the afternoon, she hummed and danced all the way downstairs to her kitchen. A plan formed in her mind as she enjoyed her breakfast and she could barely contain her giddiness. She could barely wait for Spike to enter and almost dropped her spoon into the bowl.

“We’re going to have a party for Princess Luna!” she exclaimed happily and clopped her hooves together.

“Here’s hoping that I’ll be invited,” Spike muttered and tapped the wooden table impatiently.

“What?” Twilight asked surprised and looked up from her cereal bowl.

“Nothing!” Spike said in surprise as he realised he had said it out loud.

“I mean, we threw a party for Celestia... we throw a lot of parties for Celestia, but I think it’s about time we had one for Luna,” Twilight rambled, more to herself than anyone else in the room. “Sure, we have one for Luna, but I think we need a proper one to make her feel welcome in Equestria again. She’s been abroad a lot and she needs to know that ponies still care for her. She might have gotten the wrong idea at the last Nightmare Night. But then, everything did go rather well. Maybe I’m just overthinking things again, but… what if she does feel lonely?”

“Twilight!” Spike interrupted with a hand to his cheek and elbow resting on the table. She looked up from her train of thought and chuckled sheepishly.

“I think I better get everything planned. This needs to be perfect,” she said and swallowed the last of her cereal. “We didn’t have anything important scheduled today, did we?”

“Hmm... probably not,” Spike said and crumbled the scroll into a ball.

“Great!” Twilight said and giggled. “Come, we have a lot to do and little time. We need to make a list of all of all the things I need for this! Luna is going to be so surprised.” She jumped from the table with gusto, an expression of utmost concentration creeping over her face as she went out into the middle of the library floor.

Spike sighed and went past her to get a roll from a nearby shelf. He picked up a small one at first, but seeing how determined Twilight was behaving, put it back and took a bigger one.

***

It was a few days later and Luna was taking a stroll through the gardens. Celestia had asked her to do something to occupy herself, so Luna had gotten some of the gardeners in Canterlot to help her tend to some of the bushes and plants. She found it to be an invigorating exercise to use herself manually, even with the aid of her magic. A thousand years ago, she would never have been found in the garden with a little straw hat and a handkerchief around her neck, tending to the roses with a small pair of shears.

It couldn’t take her mind away as it usually did, however. She was fearfully contemplating the consequences of the kiss she had planted on Twilight, wondering heavily if it had been within proper conducts to do so. Most of the things that she had learnt so long ago no longer applied, even her speech that she took for granted could startle other ponies. She had given in to the spirit of not only the moment, but also the times. She dreaded Twilight’s reaction and had refrained from visiting again. She couldn’t keep barging in every night either.

“Pony feathers,” she exclaimed and saw the rose at her hoofs. It wasn’t one of the wilted ones that she had been asked to cut. It had four beautifully white petals and a yellow middle and looked very perky still.

“Milady, there’s a letter for you,” a guard said, one of Celestia’s, with a scroll sticking out of his armour. Luna looked up surprised.

“For me?” Luna asked curiously, taking the scroll with her magic and unsealed it. “Dear Princess Luna, you are cordially invited to a party in your honour in Sugarcube Corner in Ponyville.”

The guard turned to leave, but noticed the flower at the Princess’ hooves. “You have a keen eye in flowers, Milady.”

“Huh?” Luna asked and looked up from her letter.

“I don’t know who you cut that primrose for, but it’s a very stunning specimen,” he said and gave her a smile before leaving for real.

“But we didn’t mean to cut this one,” Luna said quietly and looked down at the flower at her hoofs. She took it and the scroll back with her, but not before putting the gardening tools and attire back on their appropriate place.

“It’s tonight,” she said and looked at the scroll again. “And signed Twilight Sparkle. We must ask our sister for the location of this Sugarcube Corner.”

As with a mare that had been educated so long ago, she restricted her outwards display of emotions. Still she roamed the halls with a bounce to her step, catching the attention of the staff. Most noticeable was perhaps the primrose she had planted behind her ear. When she returned to her room, she immediately put the flower in a vase along with other flowers that decorated her table.

“You’re certainly in a good mood,” an old, tired voice said.

“Yes, we have received our first party invitation,” Luna said exalted and held her head high. “We hope to learn more about fun and friends at this party.”

The old mare was a rotund earth pony with a white cap around her head, a lavender coat and thin white hair. She grabbed the sheets on Luna’s bed and shook them.

“You shouldn’t leave a pretty flower like that in a dark room like this,” the old mare said with concern.

“But we leave all our flowers in dark,” Luna countered.

“I know, dearie, but this isn’t one of your night flowers. This one needs plenty of light.”

Luna looked at the flower with some resignation, like it was being an obstinate child. The old mare looked motherly at Luna.

“Since this is your first party, why don’t I make some arrangements?” she asked.

“We would appreciate that, Mrs Withers,” Luna said in her loud voice.

“First of all, we need to give this little thing a better spot,” Mrs Withers said and went over to the flower. “If you plan on bringing it with you to the party, you should consider cutting a bit more to make a bouquet.”

With the help of the old maid, Luna eventually got ready for the night. When the time came for her to leave, the Princess didn’t look much different. She was still dressed in her breastplate, tiara and shoes, but she also had five white flowers arranged under her wing. Despite her own suggestions of making a grand entry, she listened to the advices of Mrs Withers and took an ordinary-looking carriage.

“Ready, Milady?” one of the guard said stoically as Luna stepped inside.

“Yes,” she replied simply and the carriage was off. When they were far above the skies with houses like dots, the guard spoke again.

“You look a mite tense, Milady. If you don’t mind me asking, what could be the occasion?” the other asked interested.

“We have only ever attended the grandest of balls with the most important ponies of Equestria, with the finest cuisine and sophisticated music playing on the dance floors. The description of a modern “party” sounds so vastly different. We are just a little uncomfortable, but excited, to abandon our ingrained traditions for the night.”

“Don’t sweat it, Milady, I’m sure it will be fine,” the guard said encouragingly.

“We just fear that we will make a mistake like last time and cancel some pony holiday,” she said and frowned out over the edge. Ponyville became visible below them and the guard carried her lower. “No, this won’t do at all. This night shall be fun for everypony. We will not be the strict and archaic Princess, but fun and friendly Luna!”

“That’s the way to do it, Milady. Positive thoughts lead to positive actions,” the guard said and came to a halt in front of Sugarcube Corner. Luna departed with a confident smile and strode up to the front door. She gazed up at the roof and marvelled at how the building itself looked so deliciously edible.

The guards took their leave and disappeared into the setting sun. Luna stepped up into the beckoning light of the confectionary and pushed open the door. A shower of confetti rained down over her while Pinkie Pie blew a horn. Behind her, it seemed all of Ponyville had congregated to celebrate her.

Luna was completely taken aback at seeing so many ponies in such a small space all cheering on her. A banner hung from the ceiling with the same message. She looked from one happy face to another, unsure what to say or do.

“Princess!” Twilight called and pressed her way through the crowd. She smiled affectionately up at Luna and paused before her. “I almost thought you wouldn’t make it.”

“Yes, we were unsure what to wear... I hope that we aren’t underdressed?” she asked a little nervously, looking around the room at all the guests. She took particular notice of a white unicorn dressed in a fine burgundy dress.

“It isn’t something too special,” Twilight noted as she herself wasn’t wearing anything either. She led Luna further into the room, and the ponies all bowed slightly to her out of reverence, not out of fear. “It’s just some cake and a little punch. Or well, that was the plan, but I simply couldn’t keep the rest away.”

“We are honoured, Twilight Sparkle. Oh, we brought you these,” Luna said, again realising she was carrying a bouquet under her wing. She used her magic to levitate it towards Twilight.

“F-for me?” Twilight asked, blushing and sniffing the flowers lightly. “These are beautiful. Thank you, Princess.”

“Please, call us Luna, Twilight Sparkle,” she said and took the seat of honour by the middle of the table.

“Only if you’ll stop calling me by my full name.” Twilight smiled mischievously as she took her own seat next to the Princess and placed the flowers in front of her. Luna chuckled at the gesture.

“Very well... Twilight.”

Applejack walked up to their table and placed a pie in front of Luna. It was freshly warm and steamed as the earth pony cut a big slice for her.

“You are Applejack? We remember. And this must be Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and... Rarity,” Luna said as Twilight’s friends all came over to the table.

“I’m sorry that we didn’t get a chance to meet during your last visit,” Rarity said and kneeled. “Nightmare Night is my busiest day and I simply fell asleep.”

“A pleasure to meet you, Miss Rarity,” Luna said and nodded in acknowledgement, then looked out at the small circle. “Twilight tells us a lot about you. We hope that we can learn about friendship from you all.”

“Some wine?” Spike asked and approached the Princess with a deep green bottle. He was as always dressed snappily, tonight in a black tuxedo with a gem-encrusted bowtie.

“Please,” Luna said, and Spike poured some of the burgundy liquid into her glass. “We also hear much about you. You’re not still fighting with Twilight’s owl?”

“Best of friends,” Spike said jovially and retreated again.

Many of the guests had only come to catch a glimpse of Luna or otherwise greet her personally. As the night wore on, the room became less and less crowded. There was plenty of food and drinks for everypony and some stayed late into the night to entertain or have longer talks with the Princess. Once night had fallen properly and the Moon stood bright in the sky, Luna was mostly alone with the mane six.

“Your Princess enjoys this mirth!” Luna exclaimed as Spike filled her glass again. “We are starting to like this “party”!”

“The party has only just begun!” Pinkie said. She wheeled something large into the room, but it was obscured from view by a canvas.

“Pinkie, how did you get that thing inside?” Twilight asked nervously and observed the swaying top.

“Through the door, silly! Ta-da!” she replied and yanked the cloth off. It was a platform with two chairs and some kind of elaborate systems of racks and pipes at the back.

“Pray tell, what is this thing?” Luna asked and stepped out on the floor.

“It’s my Quiz-o-matic 3000... no, 4000! No, more like 3500... or perhaps 3850. Ooh, the Quiz-o-matic 3 –”

“What does it do?” Twilight interrupted and looked up at the bobbing hose running from a tank beneath the platform and through various supporters to hang above the seats.

Pinkie merely giggled and took a top hat and bowtie from a drawer built into the base. “Game Host Pinkie is inviting the contestants to take their seats,” she said and jumped up. She dragged a podium up from the floor and took her place behind it, facing the seats.

What guests remained gathered around, whispering and snickering. Pinkie looked behind her and winked at the audience.

Luna approached in awe. “Twilight, we wish to play this game. Come join us!”

Luna sat down in the left seat from Pinkie with an excited smile forming on her lips. Twilight was more apprehensive, knowing Pinkie’s record when it came to machines and fun. Still she stepped up on the wheeled platform that filled most of the room. She took the one empty seat on Pinkie’s right.

“Now then contestants!” Pinkie clutched the podium hard and leant in over it, looking intensely at the two mares. “Are you ready to play?”

“Yea!” Luna replied. Smitten by the good mood, Twilight too nodded.

“Then let the games begin!” Pinkie shouted and punched the air. “Rules are simple. Game Host Pinkie will ask you a series of questions and the first to reach five points win. Right answer earns you points and wrong ones deducts them.”

Twilight reached up a hoof. “What happens if we win? And more importantly, if we lose?”

Pinkie smirked and took a deck of cards from the podium. “First question! When was the life of Starswirl the Bearded? One point for century, two for exact year!”

“Oh that’s easy, he lived from–” Twilight began.

“98 before Celestia to 12 after!” Luna said and raised a hoof. Fluttershy flew in from the side and placed two points on a hook above the Princess.

“Too slow, Miss Sparkle!” Pinkie said. “What are the risks of transformation magic? Two points for–”

“Mania, massacre and malpractice!” Twilight said before Pinkie could even answer. This time it was Twilight’s turn to receive two points.

“You’re a quick learner, Miss Sparkle! What are the alchemical properties of the common hogswart herb?”

“Panacea!” Luna exclaimed, but Fluttershy took a point away from her now.

“Sorry Princess, that’s the red-prickled hogswart. Miss Sparkle, do you have a suggestion?”

Twilight cleared her throat, taking good time before answering. “Yes, Pinkie, I do. The common hogswart herb alleviates pony pox.”

“Exactly!” Pinkie said and Fluttershy flew in with a point for Twilight. “The tally is now three to Miss Sparkle and one for the Princess. This next question could decide it all.” Pinkie looked at them both with her impish grin, but Twilight was too absorbed to notice. She and Luna were giving each other hard glances, but came back into the game with Pinkie knocking the cards into the podium. The crowd around them was cheering and grinning. “Why are all guards white?”

“Wha huh?” Twilight asked.

“They are not,” Luna said. “A third of Celestia’s guards are also beige whereas my own are dark. The reason for this is the magic of their armours giving them a uniform colour.”

“Ding, ding, ding!” Pinkie slammed a hoof into the podium as two points came flying in from the side and attached themselves above the Princess. “Are you ready for the final question? This one is so hard that I will reward whoever answers it first the final two points!” Pinkie said and hid behind a card. “It cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. It lies behind stars and under hills and empty holes it fills. It comes first and follows after, ends life, kills laughter.”

For the first time during that party, silence fell in the room as everypony turned to pondering. Not just the contestants, but the small audience as well. Luna looked out of the windows with a concentrated look on her face while Twilight ruffled her hair in frustration.

“No suggestions?” Pinkie teased. “Do you both want to feel what happens to the loser?”

Luna was affixed on the outside. Twilight looked up at the Princess curiously. She was oddly stiff, just looking out into the...

Twilight looked up at Pinkie and carefully suggested: “Darkness?”

Fireworks erupted from the sides of the platform and enveloped the room. Large streamers were blown out over the audience. Luna smiled sideways at Twilight who looked puzzled up into her eyes. She finally understood and giggled, but recoiled as the showerhead with a cacophony of noise regurgitated green slime all over the Princess.

Horrified, Twilight rushed to her side but Luna was simply laughing loudly. She could not stop herself and riveted the audience into following her. Pinkie was flat on her back, snorting with laughter.

Twilight was happy to see the arrangement do well. When the rest of the ponies had fallen asleep around the tables and floor, she decided to call it a night. Luna insisted on following her home to the library, but they got no further than to the threshold.

“We have had a wonderful time tonight, Twilight. We truly wish it would never end,” Luna said elated.

“I’m glad that you liked it, Luna. I hope you’ve changed your mind about getting new friends,” Twilight said with a tired smile.

“We love making new friends!” Luna said with a lifted voice, then looked at Twilight with amorous eyes. “I think it’s time you got your reward.”

“Huh?” Twilight said and blinked wearily. Before she could react or otherwise say anything, the Princess reached down. Their lips locked in a wet, intensely felt moment. Luna could not remember a stronger feeling of happiness in all of her life. A strong surge of power welled up from within her, tickling her stomach and numbing her brain.

The magic inside Luna woke up like a roaring beast. It churned through her system and sparkled through her horn before tearing loose through her lips and tongue and leapt into the quivering Twilight. Luna could not stop it. The magic brought with it an overpowering ecstasy. Her mind shut down completely until only desire was left.

She vigorously moved her mouth around Twilight’s face and met little resistance. The more skin she covered, the more she wanted. Sparks glowed from her horn out of passion and fire surged through her body and threatened to consume her but it was good pain. She allowed it to happen and thrust her tongue into Twilight’s mouth. The two were locked in a tight kiss until Twilight unexpectedly pulled away.

Shocked, Luna opened her eyes. To her horror, Twilight had collapsed in a heap on the ground, convulsing. Luna backed away with tears streaming down her face. At that moment, Spike had decided to leave the party and arrived just in time to see the strange sight. Twilight’s eyes rolled back and froth was emerging from her mouth. A dark shadow passed Luna’s face and become cold as stone. When she spoke again to a bewildered Spike, her voice was like ice.

“Your master will be all right if given enough rest. Tell her when she awakens never to speak with us again lest she shall fall prey to our uncontrollable powers.”

Luna turned about as Spike rushed to Twilight’s side. Perplexed, he looked from one to the other until Luna had disappeared into the night.