• Published 17th Feb 2023
  • 164 Views, 3 Comments

The Song of your Heart - LetTheSkyFall



After a nasty breakup Applejack tries to use music to rekindle that lost flame.

  • ...
 3
 164

Dawn Break

Rarity finished sweeping up the confetti and streamers from Pinkie's grand opening party. She had been busy all morning and hadn't had time to finish cleaning up from last night. Pinkie was busy working on a dress that had been pre-ordered a few days before the opening and was nearly done as she was putting the last few finishing touches on it. Through the speakers, soft music was playing. Pinkie said that she works better with music. Rarity found that the music did help her focus and also inspired her at times. The white unicorn's ears perked up as she heard the bell ring in the other room. Rarity walked out to greet the new customer.

"Welcome to True Colors! How may I..." Rarity trailed off as she noticed the pony that had just walked in. She recognized the mare at once. The orange coat, blonde hair, the cutie mark of a trio of apples and of course, the trademark brown stenson. She recognized Applejack but she hadn't expected to see her. "...help you."

"Rares. Ah need yer help." Applejack said, removing her stenson and holding to her chest. Her expression was a sad one and she looked deeply sorry for what she had done.
Rarity was about to answer but there was a loud gasp and a pink blur shot out from the other room. It barreled towards Applejack but it never made contact. Instead Pinkie collided with the wall directly behind the farm pony and stopped upside down. She looked perplexed at how she could have possibly missed. Rarity and Pinkie both found that the spot where Applejack had been standing a second ago was empty.

"Hey! What gives? Where did she go?" Pinkie complained.

"Up here you two." A voice came from above them. The two mares looked up and their jaws dropped as their eyes widened at what they beheld. Applejack was hovering in mid-air a good few feet above their heads. She had her forehooves crossed in front of her and wore a cocky grin that looked reminiscent of a certain rainbow maned pegasus.

“Howdy.”

"How in Equestria?" Rarity began but then she noticed the two mechanical wings that Applejack was wearing. "Oh, that's how. I forgot about those."

"So did I." Applejack said, landing gracefully on the floor. Pinkie raced over and gave her a regular hug instead of hug-tackling her to the ground as she tried before.

"So... what can I- er we, help you with?" Rarity asked.
Applejack spread the mechanical wings elegantly. "Ah, I'm gonna try an make up with Rainbow Dash. I've sat around fer too long feeling' sorry fer myself. It's time ah did something about it!" She said confidently. Then she smiled. "Plus, I have a perfect idea on how to do it." She said,

"Ooooooh! What is it?" Pinkie asked.

"Do tell Darling." Rarity said.

"I'm gonna perform an air show for her and use it to show her that I do want to be friends again." Applejack explained. "What ah need yer help with is... well." She blushed and then undid took out her hair band and removed her hat again. "Ya see that mah hair ain't really meant fer flying. Plus. I want it to be a surprise. So yer going to have to give me a disguise.”
Rarity's eyes lit up and a grin crossed her face. "Let me see what I can do. Then she looked at Applejack's hat. "You might need to leave that here."
***

Applejack looked in the mirror again. She couldn't believe what Rarity was able to do with her mane and tail. Her hair had been done up in a mohawk that a lot of the members of the Wonderbolts sported. Rarity hadn't done much to her tail but she had brushed it in a way that made it look good but not fancy. Applejack couldn't wear her hat but she didn't mind.

"What do you think?" Rarity asked.

"It's perfect. Dash will love it. Thank you Rarity." Applejack said and then looked around the new boutique. "This is a pretty nice place. I'm happy fer you two." When AJ returned her gaze to the two mares they were giving her serious glares. "Uhh." Applejack said suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

"Applejack Dear. Don't think that we are so dense that we haven't noticed." Rarity said.

"Yeah! We know you love Dashie! We are here for you!" Pinkie said, bouncing up and down.
Applejack blushed and looked away. "It's that obvious huh?"

"To us, yes. To Rainbow... probably not. She can be pretty oblivious to stuff like that." Rarity said with a huff.

"Yeah. Romance isn't really on her mind at all and she doesn't do all that soft and mushy stuff." Pinkie added in a strangely calm tone.

"Yer right. So that's why this has gotta be perfect. Don't worry, i've planned everything out so ah know what ahm doing’ and where ahm going." Applejack said, turning to leave.

"Good Luck Applejack!" Rarity and Pinkie said in unison and Applejack left the Boutique.

As Applejack got outside, she drew a few glances and stares from passing ponies. That's when she had a little idea. She looked around and saw a gray pegasus she recognized. She got her attention and walked up to her.

"Can ah-" Applejack cleared her throat and did her best to hide her accent using what her aunt and uncle orange had taught her all those years ago. Applejack also made sure her wings covered her cutie mark. "Can I ask a favor of you?"

"Sure thing." The gray pegasus's eyes were looking in two different directions at once.

"I need you to deliver a note to a Rainbow Dash." Applejack said. "Tell her that there is a new recruit coming tomorrow." The pegasus nodded and Applejack began to walk away.

"Okay. Uh, what's your name?" Derpy called to her.
Applejack allowed herself a small smile as her trick had worked. She turned back to Derpy. "It's Dawn Break." She lied and then took off before her honesty forced her to tell the truth. Applejack knew exactly where she was headed next. She had gotten some training from Rainbow but Applejack wanted to really impress her. So she had decided to go with the next best pony to train her.

Author's Note:

Heh heh heh. Funny story. You know how I said I was going to try to post this chapter sooner. Whoops.
There will be a slight delay on the next chapter as well due to some editing and refinements that need to be made before I will feel good about posting it.
Also to those who are confused about any of my OC's or shipping choices. All will be explained in other stories. However, they all need to be completely reworked, tweaked or done over. So it may be sometime before you get your answers. Sorry.
Hope you enjoyed.
~Sky