• Published 22nd Mar 2024
  • 353 Views, 204 Comments

Skyrim: Band of Thieves - Blackdrag-rose



Capper and Rarity, joined by a pair of guards, discover an artifact that teleports them to a new land that is full of conflict... and full of opportunities to start a brand new life.

  • ...
1
 204
 353

Interlude: Bandit Problems

Capper found that there was nothing else for him to worry about after removing the Sword of jyggalag, rather the cave was silent and there didn't seem to be any new enemies for him to worry about, to which he made sure he had everything that had been in Thoron's possession before heading down the path the others took.

"Capper, we found the exit... and you've already removed the sword." Rarity commented, as she and the others happened to be coming down a set of stairs that lead to the entrance area of this portion of Solitude's sewers, though part of her was a little annoyed that their friend didn't want for them to return before he removed the weapon.

"Yeah, turns out the magic died down shortly after you left, allowing me to pull it out easily." Capper replied, which was part of the truth, even though he felt that sharing Ithelia's existence with them would have to wait for another time, likely a day or two in the future once he came to terms with what was going on, but for now it seemed like they were willing to accept his words, "Come on, let's get out of here and head back to Riften... Maven's going to be happy, in her own way, that we've taken out both of the clans and the head that ruled over them."

La'nari nodded, as she agreed that it was time for them to return to their boss with news of their success, causing them to head back up the stairs as Capper found that there had been a few skeevers in the way, as all three of the little rats were dead, which allowed them to reach the formerly locked door they found earlier. Since Rarity and the others found it they made sure to unlock it, just in case removing the Sword brought everything crashing down, meaning it was easy for them to reach the surface streets of Solitude, allowing everyone to see that morning was starting to break. With that in mind Capper had them stick around for a few moments, as some merchants came out to the nearby market stalls and he purchased a bit of food from them, which he shared with the others as they departed from Solitude, since wasting too much time would cost them part of their reward. Of course Capper wasn't heartless, as he told them they could stop at one of the inns that were on the path they would be following and get a couple hours of sleep, though La'nari agreed that getting back to Riften had to be their top priority right now, to get Maven off their backs until she had another job for them.

As they departed from the city it was easy for the group to see that the guards were nervous, due to the pair of elytra that were near their wagon, but Capper assured both figures that they were friendly and only attacked aggressors, meaning they were well trained, and when the guards nodded he got the wagon underway, elytra following as they did previously.

Capper and his friends found that more people were getting up as they left Solitude behind, as farmers were getting up to tend to their animals and crops, sailors were focusing on making sure their ships were fine and ready to go, workers were in the middle of moving cargo around, and everyone else just seemed busy. It was nice to see, even though none of them would have any idea what had been done for them, who they had stopped and what plan they had ruined, but Capper was fine with that, since it meant they could bring Maven the good news first, without news reaching her ahead of them. At the same time it appeared that the road was still clear, meaning they wouldn't have to worry about running into danger or being forced to slow down for other travelers, the latter no doubt resting at that very moment, causing everyone to relax as they took inventory of their spoils. There wasn't a lot of gold, rather it was just a bunch of alchemy ingredients, plus the amber ore that had been in the tree husks, and a rare few gems, but all in all it was a good haul, since it would help them in the end, of that Capper was sure of.

Fortunately none of the others asked about the greatsword that was on his back, which was magically floating above the back of his armor, allowing Capper to focus on what was in front of them for a time, as he didn't want to get sidetracked or lose focus at the worst possible moment.

As it turned out they were able to get through Dragon's Bridge rather easily, and across the bridge without delay since there was no one else using it, before Capper found something that was going to stop them for a time, that being the bandits they had passed by previously, the ones that killed the three Thalmor agents. The reason Capper considered them to be more of an obstacle this time around was due to the fact that they knew the wagon was coming and their ranged fighters were on the wooden bridge itself, bows at the ready while a few warriors seemed to be waiting. Such a thing caused him to sigh as he brought the wagon to a stop and everyone climbed off of it, where he had La'nari focus on the archers as he, Azure, and Rarity rushed forward, two of them drawing their weapons while Rarity's hands crackled with lightning, as she had found an element to focus on. It was a good element since everyone had mana and allowed her to prevent their enemies from using magic against them, especially since some mages liked to hide themselves until the right moment, and he found that she was able to adjust her power to lightly shock their foes to cripple their mana, without harming them.

While she did that La'nari loosed a few arrows and struck the archers, enough to stagger them as Midnight approached the ranged warriors from the side, slashing at their sides before they had a chance to recover and brought them down, just as Azure and Capper crashed with the warriors. Capper went with his golden swords, mostly because he was sure he wouldn't be able to wield the Sword of Jyggalag in an actual battle, plus he had no idea what it would do to someone else if he struck them, though he found that his weapons were more than enough right now. Together he and Azure pushed their foes back, breaking the lineup they had formed to stop their wagon from passing through and scattered the bandits as La'nari caught up with them, putting an arrow in one's knee so they were unable to escape, opening the way for his head to be taken off as Azure struck him. Capper focused on his foe, who seemed to be a mage that couldn't use her spells against him and had to resort to using a dagger to defend herself, a rather foolish decision in Capper's eyes since he would have picked an actual sword, as he was able to cut his foe's wrist, forcing the bandit to drop her weapon before driving the second blade into her heart.

In the next moment he noticed something odd, the bandit's body seemed to turn to gold before his eyes, spreading out from where Capper's blade was resting, before she was consumed by a brief light and Capper found a pile of gold resting where his foe had been standing, with a golden soul gem resting on top of it.

"Capper, darling... what did you do?" Rarity asked, though at the same time she and the others reported the same thing, the bodies of the slain had strange golden soul gems on them, but none of the other bandits turned into coins, which was very odd, especially since La'nari was confused by this series of events.

"I... don't know?" Capper answered, as this was a first for him, since no one had mentioned such a thing, though he quietly suspected that this was linked to what he had done in the sewers, releasing more of the golden icon to create Ithelia's new body, so this would make it a side effect he wasn't aware of and would have to ask his new friend later, "We should clear out the leader while we're here... then we can rest and think about the strange soul gems."

The others glanced at each other for a few seconds before moving up towards the main portion of the camp, a structure that was at the highest point and was made more like a permanent building, while Capper collected the coins and gems from all of the dead bandits, including the one that turned into a pile of gold. The chief of this clan was wearing steel armor, gloves, and boots, but, oddly enough, no helmet, in fact it didn't look like he was even aware of the fact that his clan had tried to rob a bunch of travelers and had been put to the sword, leaving him as the last one standing. Capper noticed that there was a wooden wall wrapped around the area that the camp was resting in, with an upper area, a lower area, the main entrance, the wooden bridge, and a lookout post on the other side of the road, a good location in his eyes, especially with five areas for people to rest in. Capper nodded to La'nari and she put an arrow in the chief's head, as he was standing at the front of the cabin with his back turned to the rest of the camp, meaning she was able to take the target out in a second, as he fell face first onto the ground and didn't move after that.

Once they were sure the chief was dead, and he also had a golden soul gem, Capper had the wagon brought up to an area where it would be safe, since they would be resting here for a time, with Rarity and Azure getting the beds near the start of the camp, while Midnight and La'nari took the tents across from them, leaving two tents without owners, while they let him take the main cabin.

"What to do with these?" Capper commented, because the others seemed to be taking his words seriously, that they should be getting some sleep before worrying about what the future held in store for them, allowing him to set the golden soul gems on the table that was in the cabin, where he picked one up at random and palmed it for a moment, though as he thought about Ithelia, and how she would know something, the insides of the soul gem started to glow.

The soul gem floated into the air for a moment before lowering itself down to the ground, where the wind whipped around it for a few seconds as the glow intensified and transformed the gem, where he found that it took on the form of a small lizard creature that was between two to two and a half feet tall. From what Capper could tell the creature had three claws on it's feet, a fourth smaller one up higher like he had seen on Ithelia's legs, and it had three fingers with a thumb on each hand, all while it's scales seemed much softer than a dragon's and it had a small pair of curved horns on it's head. It was like a small dragon, especially with the smaller snout and scaly tail, though it lacked wings, meaning it was ground based, and he found that it had light red scales and was wearing a loincloth around it's waist, though it seemed confused. Capper found that to be fair, as he wasn't sure what was going on right now either, though what he knew was that some aspect of him had changed, trapping the souls of those slain around him in unique soul gems, which could then be turned into something new.

In the next moment he decided to call upon someone who might know about this creature, where he posed the question to his new friend in his mind and sure enough Ithelia stepped out of thin air, like she had used the teleport power Capper had used previously, before she focused on the new creature and lowered herself as she smiled and rubbed it's head.

"It would seem that turning the Key on the golden icon had more of an effect than I thought... you're able to create new life, using souls that are in soul gems." Ithelia commented, keeping her voice low so the others didn't hear her, though it was all too clear that she was thinking about what this meant as she glanced at Capper's ring, which he knew seemed stronger than before, or at least that seemed to be what was going on, "In fact it seems like I'll have more to teach you when you are ready to get started, since you'll be able to prevent this from happening in the future... but this little one is a kobold, a race that I believe is extinct, though it's hard for me to say since I've been out of things for a few Eras. At the same time this one seems different from what I remember... like who he was when he was a mortal has influenced his new form... what were you, little one?"

"I... I was a warrior before my death, and there was a few other fighters with a mage and some archers in our clan." the new kobold said, where it was clear that he wasn't sure what was going on right now, though at the same time Ithelia nodded as she picked up one of the other golden soul gems, which had been the mage Rarity had weakened, and held it out for Capper to take, which he did so without delay, "What's going on?"

"You were reborn by my Prince's power... we're going to need to think of a new name." Ithelia replied, though at the same time Capper found that his current name wasn't up to her standards, something he would have to think about at some point in the future, but he focused on what she wanted from him right now as he focused on the second golden soul gem and watched as energy swirled around it.

This one produced a light blue scaled kobold with white arcane markings on her arms, which Capper knew since the figure was a little bit slimmer than the warrior and was more feminine looking, in kobold terms he guessed, and her attire was a ruined robe of a student of magic, confirming that she was a mage. Capper looked at the remaining golden soul gems for a few seconds before picking a third one, just to be absolutely sure that this was happening, and when he repeated the odd process the soul inside the gem took form without delay, appearing to be a gray female kobold. This one seemed to be more like a thief and less like an archer, though it was hard to tell at a glance since both types wore the same armor, though this one wore worn out looking leather attire with a dark brown hood, like the Thieves Guild armor. Such a thing caused him to sigh as he realized that something strange was going on, something in him had changed after he released more of the icon's power to pull out Jyggalag's weapon, though for the time being he safely stored the remaining golden soul gems away, as he needed time to think about what he had just done.

As they escorted the trio to the area outside his Vault, however, Ithelia mentioned that there was nowhere to sleep and that food was needed as well, to which he passed her most of the food that was in his pack as he thought about a house he had seen in Ponyville, allowing him to recreate it inside the private realm, with enough room for all four of them. He realized that things were spiraling out of his control, as the simple Vault had expanded into getting several followers and now he was in the middle of thinking of having to expand everything to make things better for Ithelia's small group. Capper made sure to outfit the house with beds, since he didn't want to leave that part out, while noticing that his second, since that was what he could think of Ithelia as, seemed fine with allowing him to focus on the mortal realm, since he still needed time to come to terms with what was going on. Capper nodded his head slightly as he returned to the cabin that he was supposed to be sleeping in and checked the large chest that was near the bed, which had a pair of what he assumed was glass weapons in it, a bow and a greathammer, and some gold, all of which he stored in his bag as he fell onto the bed.

Capper found that he was able to rest for a few hours, which his body appreciated greatly, as La'nari was the one who made sure they woke up and didn't spend the entire day sleeping, and once they were done eating the food that they had on hand she made sure they departed before they lost more of the day.

"So, can we talk about what happened earlier?" Midnight inquired, as she was curious about the strange golden soul gems they had seen earlier, not to mention why they had suddenly appeared when she and her friends killed their enemies, and why it seemed to start when Capper killed one of the bandits.

"I honestly have no idea why those gems suddenly appeared." Capper replied, which was the truth, as while he had some ideas and thoughts on the matter he had no solid answers and couldn't tell them anything without revealing what he's done with the Skeleton Key, and while he knew Rarity would be displeased with him lying he was also sure she would understand if he finally told them everything, "All I know is that they formed after taking down a couple of bandits."

"Maybe we can sell one or two to a court mage? They would throw a fit." La'nari commented, because she knew the types of soul gems that existed in the world and the most expensive ones were the black soul gems, especially when they had a soul in them, and a new type of soul gem would just cause everyone to go crazy, to study and see what sort of power they had to offer enchanters, "Probably offer a bunch of gold for them."

"I don't want to mindlessly hunt people down to confirm if this was a one time thing or not... maybe we can get a bounty for some bandits?" Azure remarked, because it would give them an actual excuse, instead of just attacking random camps and taking down those that were living in the various forts, and he found Rarity nodding her head in agreement, that she would rather have a reason for what they were doing.

Capper said nothing to that as he focused on directing the wagon along the road that would bring them back to Whiterun, a safe road since they had dealt with a number of enemies before reaching their destinations, keeping an eye open for any potentially new foes to worry about. The road brought them to Rorikstead, a small farming settlement that only had two or three guards and a few houses, though Rarity stopped for a minute before returning with more food, just to make sure that their food stores were good for the rest of the trip. Once she was back on the wagon Capper resumed moving as both he and La'nari kept an eye out for enemies, even though it appeared that there were only wild animals for them to worry about at the time being, meaning the trip was more peaceful than he would have assumed. He also found that both elytra were still following the wagon and stopped whenever they did, something that made him wonder if he could use the power he had discovered previously to transform them into kobolds and give them greater freedom, even though that would cause more headaches for him in the end.

While they continued along the road the group also found that there were more travelers out and about, such as the trio that Capper and his friends had robbed when they first arrived in Skyrim, who didn't even notice that their wagon and their horse was passing by them and their guard. One thing that stopped them was the khajiit caravan they passed by, which just so happened to be Ri'saad's group, giving them a chance to not only check their wares, since there was a chance they might have something of interest, but also to tell Ri'saad that the Saints and Seducers had been wiped out. The caravan leader was pleased with this turn of events and handed over a bag of gold, three hundred coins based on Capper's count once they were on the road again, which was a decent reward for all the hard work they put into bringing the two clans down. He also found that there was a skirmish between the Imperials and Stormcloaks, as the two factions were fighting each other, which was why Capper hung back and kept his friends safe from the chaos, all while using this as a test of the range that his odd powers possessed.

When the fighting was over, and three Imperials wandered up the nearby road, a hill to be exact, Capper started down the road once more, even though they did have to stop and move some of the bodies out of the way so they wouldn't get stuck on all of the loose weapons and armor. He discovered that the trio that had wandered off didn't seem to care much, rather it looked like they were licking their wounds before leaving to make their report to whoever their leader was, meaning they could loot all of the bodies, giving the group a few more pouches of gold, a lot of steel arrows, and some wine. Capper found that none of the soldiers that had died in the battle had any golden soul gems on them, meaning he had to be nearby, very close to the action, to create those gems, which was useful information until he could figure out how to use the power that had created the first set of gems. With that information in hand he focused on looting the bodies and moving them off to the side of the road, and once the path was clear everyone returned to the wagon once more before continuing on their way, as there was a lot of ground to cover before they reached Riften.

As they followed the road, getting closer to the mountain that Bleak Falls Barrow was resting on, Rarity pointed out what was ahead of them, as there was a few barricades on the road and it appeared that some bandits, who must have come from the fort that was on the left side of their road, at least from their direction, before one of the archers loosed an arrow that just missed the riders in the front.

Since the bandits wanted to rob them, as that was a warning to stand down and hand over their stuff if they wanted to live, though interestingly enough these two were part of the six bandits that were stationed outside the fort, as three more came rushing out after seeing the wagon and Midnight reported there being one more far from the others. With that in mind the five of them engaged the five bandits that were directly in front of them, though as Capper cut down the foe that charged at him he discovered further confirmation of his previous thoughts, those that died near him produced a golden soul gem for him to pick up. Of course things changed as more bandits poured out of the fort, at least another ten and an eleventh that was likely the chief, given that she wore steel armor while everyone else was wore fur or leather, something that caused the two elytra to join the battle as well. Capper was sure that this was the full force of the bandits, even though it was less than their own clan, though this time around his side suffered casualties as the bandit chief avoided the elytra bites and used a glass warhammer to smash the first into the ground, crushing it instantly, before kicking the other back and repeating the process.

While none of them had asked the little bugs to come with them, they had asserted themselves as pets and followers of the group, Capper and his friends were annoyed by the deaths of the two elytra that had been following them, causing them to lash out at the bandits in greater power, cutting each one down as Midnight repeatedly stabbed the chief in the back until she was dead.

"You know, while we didn't bond with them all that much... I'm going to miss them." Rarity commented, because the pair of elytra had been an interesting addition to the group, even if all they did was follow them, chirp at each other, and kill their enemies so they didn't get overwhelmed, and, sure enough, both of them had a golden soul gem on them, which was when a gust of wind wrapped around them.

Capper, like Rarity and the others, was saddened by the loss of the elytra, as they had been interesting company, though he didn't activate the spell that transformed golden soul gems into kobolds, rather it seemed like it was activating on it's own, producing two new kobolds, one that was yellow-green and one that was dark purple, both female and both wearing armor like the thief kobold from before.

"Capper... what are those things?" La'nari asked, though at the same time she noticed that the pair didn't seem hostile at all, rather it seemed like they were unsure of what was going on as well, which made her wonder if the souls that were inside the golden soul gems could be reborn as something brand new, something that would freak mages and scholars out if they knew about this.

"Kobolds. Created from using the souls trapped inside the golden soul gems." Capper replied, where he knew there was far more he had to tell his friends, as this was just the tip of the iceberg he had discovered on his own, but right now he really needed to figure some things out on his own before he worried the others, "Don't worry, they're friendly... I'm not fully sure what's going on, so I can't explain anything just yet, so all I can ask is that you be patient with me and know that I will try to explain things... once I fully understand things myself."

Rarity knew there was something he wasn't telling them, some secret he had discovered when he pulled the sword out of the heart of the root cave, but at the same time she trusted Capper, so if he said he needed time she was willing to give him what he needed, causing them to turn towards the fort as they wondered what the future held in store for them.