• Published 25th Dec 2022
  • 3,490 Views, 53 Comments

A Griffon's Farewell - 1jckuhn



What if the episode, "The Hearth's Warming Club," had a much more tragic ending than the original?

  • ...
19
 53
 3,490

Hope's Shredded Pages

The Castle of Friendship
December 16, 2017, 8:00 A.M.

By sunup, the snowstorm had passed. In its place was a light flurry. All throughout the castle, the place was eerily silent as the Element Bearers, Starlight, Grandpa Gruff, and Spike began to prepare themselves to search Gallus’ room for further answers as to why he kept his past a secret. Sandbar, Yona, Smolder, and Ocellus had all gotten up at this point and had offered to help with their search.

Presently, there was a knock on the front door. The fourteen creatures went to answer it and found two Changelings, two Hippogriffs, two Earth Ponies, and two yaks standing before them. Twilight wasn’t sure, but it looked like a red Dragon was in the back of the crowd. It seemed like he was trying to lay low and not be noticed by anyone. Beachcomber was about to speak when he saw his son out of the corner of his eye and called out to him.

“Sandbar!” called the older Earth pony. “There you are!”

The other parents were able to see their kids toward the back of the crowd and began to make their way toward them. Twilight and the others stepped aside so the four students and their parents could be reunited.

“There you are, Ocellus!” Spiracle cried.

As the parents barged in, Twilight’s suspicions about a Dragon in the back of the crowd were confirmed. Spike got a good look at him and gasped.

“Garble?!” he cried.

Garble let out an exasperated sigh.

“Yeah, it’s me,” he said. “Listen, I’m not here to cause trouble. I’m here to get Smolder and get out.”

Rainbow eyed him suspiciously.

“Why?” she asked. “How do you know her?”

“She’s my sister,” Garble retorted simply. “Both our mom and dad are too big to fit in here. So, they sent me to come get her.”

The ponies and Spike still didn’t seem convinced until Smolder spoke up.

“You know my brother too?” she asked Spike.

“It’s a long story,” both Dragons grunted simultaneously.

“A story that I’m more interested in is why you didn’t come home last night,” Garble said, turning to Smolder. “Mom, dad, and I were worried sick about you. None of us got wink of sleep last night.”

All four students swallowed hard as they looked up at their parents. Concern fell over everyone’s faces as they looked at Sandbar, Smolder, Ocellus, and Yona beginning to tear up. They all took a deep breath and began to explain. It didn’t take them long to tell the story to their parents and brother, albeit through choked sobs, about what had befallen the late Gallus no more than fourteen hours ago. Shock was the first emotion to hit everyone as they listened to the Dragon, Yak, Pony, and Changeling recap what had happened. It quickly turned to sadness and sympathy towards the deceased Griffon and his tragic situation, as well as their own kids and, in Garble’s case, sibling for having to witness such a traumatizing ordeal unfold right in front of them. Even Garble felt bad.

Then, Skybeak spoke up.

“I hate to divert attention away from mourning Gallus,” he said. “But, where’s Silverstream? If her friends are here, she should be here too.”

Twilight gulped, “She hurt herself trying to save Gallus. She’s at the Ponyville hospital right now.”

Skybeak and Ocean Flow’s faces turned pale.

“My little Silverstream is in the HOSPITAL?!!” Ocean Flow shrieked.

“She’s not gravely injured,” Twilight assured. “I can give you an escort there if you want.”

“Thank you, Princess,” said Skybeak.

Twilight spun back around to face the others.

“I’ll be back in a bit,” she told them. “I need to get Skybeak and Ocean Flow to the Ponyville hospital. Can you manage the search without me for a bit?”

“Will do, Twilight,” assured Starlight.

“We’ll be taking our kids home too,” Spiracle announced, turning to her daughter. “Come, Ocellus.”

Ocellus, as well as Smolder, Sandbar, and Yona, had other ideas.

“No,” said Ocellus firmly. “I’m sorry, mom and dad. I can’t. I want to help out in the search.”

“Griffon was Yak’s friend,” Yona's voice cracked as she fought back more tears.

“We owe it to him,” said Smolder. “He was suffering in the dark and we were oblivious to it until it was too late."

"It turned out that he wasn’t completely upfront about his past with anyone. Not even Grampa Gruff," added Sandbar. "We need to find out why. Not just for context, but to provide closure for everyone, Grampa Gruff especially.”

“Y-You’d do that for me?” Grampa Gruff stammered.

“Of course,” said Smolder firmly. “You were just as close to Gallus as we were.”

Grampa Gruff smiled sadly, “Thank you. All of you.”

“You’re welcome,” replied Sandbar.

“We also need to pay Silverstream a visit and see how she’s doing,” added Ocellus. “Being stuck in a hospital overnight doesn’t exactly sound fun.”

The parents and Garble looked a little unsure of what to do, but, in the end, decided to let their kids and sister help out. They agreed to take their loved ones home after the investigation was finished and Silverstream was paid a visit at the hospital. In the meantime, the three pairs of parents and Garble would stay at the castle until it was time to go.

With that, the dozen creatures left the castle and headed back to the dorm rooms.


It hadn't taken everyone had found themselves standing in front of Gallus’ dorm room. Memories of last night flooded everycreature’s minds. Their eyes filled with tears, and they hesitated for a moment to open the door, before they all looked at one another, nodded, and slowly turned the knob and pushed the door open. As they stepped inside Gallus’ room, a sense of uneasiness came over everyone. It felt as if Gallus’ spirit was still lingering in the room as they walked inside, and he was watching all of them intently. It felt like they were exploring a three-story abandoned, haunted house rather than a roughly 400-square-foot dorm room. Slowly, the teachers, Grampa Gruff, and Gallus’ friends began to look through Gallus’ stuff to see if he had left any clues behind that might have hinted at him leading up to wanting to end his life. Unfortunately, all they were able to come up with was the cloak from the night before. Soon, they had searched every part of his room except for one place, his nightstand.

At that moment, Twilight came into view in the doorway, a bandaged, silent, and sad-looking Silverstream standing right behind her. Upon seeing their friend, Ocellus, Smolder, Sandbar, and Yona rushed over to her.

“You’re out of the hospital!” exclaimed Ocellus.

“Yeah,” said Silverstream softly.

“How Hippogriff feeling?” asked Yona cautiously.

“I broke both my wrist and my wing, and bruised four of my ribs,” Silverstream explained. “The doctors released me with just a bottle of painkillers because there was nothing else wrong with me, aside from my injuries, and said that the best bet for me would be to go home and get some rest. However, I was able to convince my parents to let me come here and help out. Then, they’re going to take me home so I can start healing. They’re at the castle with the other parents until I return.”

Silverstream’s friends wrapped her in a comforting hug as Twilight turned to Starlight.

“Have any of you been able to find anything?” asked Twilight.

“So far, no,” Starlight sighed sadly. “We’ve searched every place except his nightstand.”

Starlight pointed to a table made of cherry wood that had two drawers on it that were facing Gallus’ bed. It was resting in the corner that was farthest from the door in his room. They walked slowly over to it and began to cautiously peek through it. The top drawer only contained a small pillow. The bottom drawer, however, contained a large, dark green book, the title of which attracted everyone's eyes like a magnet.

My Diary

Grampa Gruff remembered that book. He had given it to Gallus on his thirteenth birthday. If anything, this was probably their best shot to search for a motive as to why he kept his past a secret from a Griffon he considered his grandfather, as well as everyone else. The teachers, Gallus’ friends, and he all looked at one another with nervous glances before swallowing hard as Twilight cautiously opened it and the thirteen creatures began to look through it.

October 21, 2014

Dear Diary,

This is my first entry writing to you. My name is Gallus and today is my 13th birthday. You were given to me as a gift for this exact occasion. As much as I wish this was a joyous day, it wasn’t. Nothing’s ever been joyful for me since I lost my family almost six years ago to a house fire. My mom, my dad, my older sister, Gracie, and younger sister, Gwen, were all killed, and I was left with nothing except my own pillow. Every holiday and milestone in my life is just something I want to live through as fast as possible and forget as soon as possible. I was successful in forcing a smile and thanking Grandpa Gruff for you, as well as for a few other things he got me. There were so many instances throughout today that I wanted to just kill myself to end this nightmare. Sadly, these thoughts are nothing new. I’ve felt this way for about two years now. You’re really the only one I’ve ever told this too. Not even Grampa Gruff knows about my struggle. I’ve lived with him since he had taken me into his house after he spotted me in the middle of a fierce snowstorm when I was nine. I was running a really high fever and I likely would’ve died if it weren’t for him. When I look back on it now, I wish he would’ve just let me freeze to death. He would’ve done everyone a favor if he did. I managed to fabricate a tale of how I was hatched in an orphanage on the other side of Griffonstone and how I had snuck out of there late one night in order to escape the clutches of the cruel staff there and I had wandered my way up here. Thankfully, he bought it, and I’ve been successful at keeping my true past a secret ever since. In reality, I had spent the last two years on the streets fighting to stay alive. Despite a few close calls, Grampa Gruff has, so far, suspected nothing of my struggle and I hope it stays that way. I don’t want him dealing with my problems. He’d never understand. Neither would anyone else. If they did, I’d just end up bringing them down with my issues and they really don’t deserve to have that on their plate. Hopefully, I’ll be writing to you more, if the sweet embrace of death doesn’t get to me first.

December 24, 2014

Tomorrow marks the six-year-anniversary of my family’s death. This time of year is supposed to be filled with happiness. Yet, it just opens up old wounds and I cry myself to sleep every night for the entire month of December. I can’t even begin to describe how deep my pain or sadness is every time this holiday rolls around. Grandpa Gruff is barely any help. He does try to be good-natured around this time, but we’re Griffons. We’re naturally just downers. Well, most of us. My family was the only one in my old town who was actually joyful. We sang carols and spread cheer throughout the town. It was an old family tradition that dated all the way back for generations. Now, however, when I think about it, it just leaves me wanting for this nightmare to end, but with each passing day, it’s a cruel reminder that I’ll never be away from this. At the same time, though, I’m also angry at other Griffons for acting so grumpy during the holidays. Even though it’s hell for me, I try to fake a smile for the Blue Moon Festival just to please Grampa Gruff and everyone even though it’s always a painful reminder that I lost my family on this day. The other Griffons all have families, but they still act like total downers. What’s their excuse?

Grandpa Gruff winced as he read the last sentence. Even through the holidays, Griffons were always cantankerous with one another, despite the fact that it was a time for cheer and good will. It also made him think over him acting the way he had over the past during holidays, as well as over other special occasions. Granted, he did try and play nice, but what did he have to complain about? Despite the fact that they were only scratching the surface of Gallus’ situation, Grandpa Gruff began to remember old memories of him trying to smile and attempting to find at least a shred of enjoyment at every holiday and special occasion to the fullest, even if it was all just a mask for everyone else.

March 30, 2015

Another unhappy day at school today. It’s usually the same thing. Being mocked for having no family, having food thrown at my face, being called every kind of derogatory name imaginable, or being stuffed in a trash can, usually all by that monster, Geoff. No matter how many times I tell the teachers or principal, they just brush it off as typical boy behavior or they just tell me to toughen up. With each day that passes, I feel my will to live slowly dripping out of me. I don’t know how much more of this torment I can take. What’s ultimately stopping me is if I fail to kill myself, Grampa Gruff will make me tell him why I did this, and he may find out about the other secrets I’m hiding. I really don’t want to have him involved with my struggle. He doesn’t deserve it. This isn’t his fight. It’s mine and mine alone.

One after another, each entry contained some level of his depressed state or details of several bullying incidents that were left ignored. Each one they went through, Grampa Gruff began to remember more and more signs that Gallus wasn’t doing well, but the Griffon had assured him he was fine. The further they delved into the blue Griffon’s diary, the sadder they became. They had to stop a few times to let a few creatures cry.

July 6, 2015

Gwen would’ve turned 11 today. Every birthday that I go through without my family is bad, but going through the birthdays of my parents and sister is hell. Here I am at 13, getting closer to 14, while Gwen didn’t even get the chance to experience the fun of Kindergarten or any grade above that. My parents will never get to grow old or see me, Gracie, or Gwen graduate high school, get married, and have grandkids. I spent the whole morning just crying and I guess it was pretty hard because my eyes were red, and my nose was runny. As you can imagine, that caught the attention of Grampa Gruff. Fortunately, I had gotten most of my tears out by that point and I said that I was having allergies and he bought it. Days where I spend hours just sobbing my eyes out and wishing it would all just end are, unfortunately, becoming more and more common and there’s nothing I can do to stop it.

December 25, 2015

It's officially been seven years since I lost my family and life's only gotten harder for me. I managed to trick Grampa Gruff into thinking I was sick today, as I had spent all of last night sobbing my eyes out and my eyes were bloodshot when he saw me that morning. So, he sent me back to bed and it's basically where I stayed throughout the course of today. Unfortunately, because the other Griffons were busy helping Grampa Gruff out with the finishing touches of the Blue Moon Festival, I had no one, but my thoughts, to keep me company. All that was on my mind was my family. At this point, they're all that I think about for every moment of every day, and it just drags me deeper and deeper into this bottomless pit of despair. Each day that passes without them here just leaves me with terrible headaches and a searing pain in my chest as my heart is smashed into smithereens over and over again.

February 9, 2016

I got bullied again today. Geoff had shoved me into my own locker and thought he had locked it, but he didn’t realize his rough treatment of the locker door had caused the lock to only engage halfway. I was able to fiddle with it and free myself within a few minutes, but now the lock’s permanently messed up as I couldn’t make it engage all the way anymore either. At this point, I don’t even bother trying to report the bullies to teachers anymore. They always defend the actions of the bully while blaming the victim. If anything, I should just be grateful that I escaped with just a few bumps and bruises for once.

At last, the fourteen creatures reached an entry that Gallus had written detailing his expulsion from school.

January 17, 2017

Well, I’ve been expelled from school for standing up for myself. Geoff dumped trash on me for the last time and, after three years of teasing and bullying, I finally fought back. I ended up giving him a black eye and a bloody nose. Of course, when I tried to tell the teachers who took me into the principal’s office about why I did it, they wouldn't listen. They expelled me without a second thought and called Grampa Gruff to come and pick me up. When Grampa Gruff arrived, he immediately noticed the smell of garbage coming from me and asked me what happened. I told him all about Geoff and what he’d done to me from three years ago up until now. When he asked me if I had told the teachers, I said I did and they either brushed it off or told me to just toughen up. Needless to say, his anger immediately turned toward the principal. He yelled at him for over 20 minutes before grabbing me and pulling me out of the building, neither of us saying a word on the way back home. When we did get back home, Grandpa Gruff told me to go take a shower and relax for the rest of the day, while he figured out what to do for the rest of this school year. He came to me later tonight and told me that he was hiring a tutor for me until June. As that would occur, he’d look around for another school I could go to, one, he said, that would actually care about the well-being of its students.

Reading that entry made Grampa Gruff recall every detail of that day. He remembered it all too well. If anything, it should've tipped him off that maybe Gallus wasn't telling him the truth about everything in the past. Unfortunately, he had been so preoccupied by the mistakes made by the principal and teachers that he had completely neglected to stop and think if that was the only thing Gallus was keeping in the dark from him. As he progressed through the rest of the school year with the help of his tutor, Gallus’ entries seemed to show a more relaxed attitude from the Griffon.

January 24, 2017

Well, I’ve started with my tutor. I have to say it’s a lot better than going to school itself. While I do have to get up around the same time in the morning, I don’t have to put up as big a mask as I did at school to avoid other kids from having to find out about my struggle and I don’t have to constantly worry about being victimized by bullies. The tutor himself is a nice guy, nicer than any of my teachers ever were. Maybe if I had done something like that sooner, a lot more of my school life would’ve been easier for me to navigate.

March 31, 2017

I've got to say this whole tutor thing is really working out for me. He always explains the assignments to me thoroughly and makes sure I understand them before moving on. Back then, the teachers explained the lesson once and only once and if you weren't listening or didn't understand it, it was tough luck. My grades are better than usual, which is mainly due to my anxiety not holding me by my throat. I think Grampa Gruff is going to be very pleased when he sees my final report card when the school year's over in June.

June 26, 2017

The school year is finally up. Grandpa Gruff is still having a hard time finding a school for me to go to, but to be honest, I hope he’s forced to hire another tutor when September rolls around. These last five months have actually been quite peaceful. I don’t have to feel the need to constantly look back over my shoulder for fear of another bully coming after me or have to put up as big a mask for my depressed state for seven grueling hours when I’m at school.

July 18, 2017

Grampa Gruff has still been unable to decide on a school. They’re all either private schools that are too expensive for me to be enrolled in or they have the same problem I have at my old school, uncaring teachers and bullies running amok. I overheard him considering hiring the same tutor for this year. So far, everything is looking promising for an easy-going school year. I’ll keep you updated.

August 30, 2017

Well my hopes of having a tutor are dashed. Grampa Gruff told me about this school in Ponyville that’s supposed to be opening soon. It’s rumored to be revolving around friendship, something I haven’t achieved in a long time. I don't know what he’s thinking. If anything, I’ll probably just be a downer at every event and end up being treated like an outcast all over again. I’ve already gone through enough trauma as it is. I really don’t need to go through another school year of being bullied and masking my depression.

In spite of his negative attitude at the idea of being enrolled in Twilight’s then-soon-to-be-opening School, the entries seemed to show Gallus’ attitude taking a more positive turn when he actually went there himself.

September 9, 2017

It seems I was completely wrong about this school. For once in my life, things may be finally looking up. I’ve got real friends now. It’s hard for me to comprehend it, but I’m finally developing a social life. I’ve got five friends who actually care about me. A yak named Yona, a Dragon named Smolder, an earth pony named Sandbar, and a changeling named Ocellus. There’s also a Hippogriff named Silverstream and there’s something about her that really clicks with me, in a good way. I feel weird around her, and I don’t know how to describe it. I feel warm all over and my heart starts to flutter. I wonder if she feels the same way about me. Only time will tell. We’re planning on hanging out tomorrow at this place called Sugarcube Corner. I’ve never heard of it, but from what I understand, it’s supposed to be the best sweets shop in town.

September 10, 2017

Well, I had a blast with my friends at Sugarcube Corner. When they said that Sugarcube Corner was the best sweets shop in town, they weren’t kidding. The cupcakes were easily the best I’ve had in my life. After eating a few cupcakes, Silverstream and I shared a milkshake. Towards the end of it, we locked eyes for a few seconds, and we couldn’t look away from each other. We did eventually look away. I felt that weird feeling return to me and I couldn’t shake it this time. I still feel this way and I don’t know what to think about it.

Silverstream felt a dull ache in her chest as she read the first two passages mentioning her. It didn’t take a genius to figure out what Gallus was feeling towards her was love.

“He loved me too,” the Hippogriff whispered.

All Smolder, Yona, Ocellus, and Sandbar could do was rub Silverstream’s back and hug her as she began to cry, regretting ever hiding her feelings toward Gallus to begin with.

September 26, 2017

I landed myself in detention again today. I set up pull-string fireworks on the doors of every classroom and, needless to say, the teachers weren't happy about it. All I could really do for the time I was in Twilight's office and in detention was just keep a stoic expression. I don't mean to be a burden like this. I just wanted to do a harmless joke to make others laugh. Instead, I just come off as the nuisance I am. None of them can ever know the reason why I do these things. I'd rather have them be annoyed with my antics and think I'm just a mischievous teenager rather than have them being forced to put up with my problems.

Upon reading that entry, Twilight began to have flashbacks of the times Gallus was called into her office for a prank he had pulled. Every time she had chewed him out, the Griffon always seemed to keep a rather bored or uninterested expression on his face. He had never bothered to defend his actions about how no one was ever hurt in his antics. At the time, the Alicorn could have only thought he was being a typical trickster. Now, however, it seemed that she had gotten the Griffon all wrong. He had never bothered to defend himself because he was hearing, what he felt like, was the truth about himself from her.

Despite the rather sad tunes of the Griffon's entries after he had been busted for a prank, Gallus’ passages reflected a more positive turn on his whole attitude and mental state.

October 11, 2017

Silverstream, Ocellus, Sandbar, Yona, Smolder, and I all got to be a part of a play tonight. Sandbar got to be Starswirl the Bearded and the rest of us dressed as Unicorns. Professor Fluttershy got to play Princess Celestia and at the end, we all got to witness Princess Celestia herself raise the sun, even though it was the evening. The whole crowd cheered at the end, and I went back to my dorm feeling that I actually accomplished something big for once in a long time in my life. I have to say it was pretty draining preparing for the play, but in the end, it was all worth it.

October 21, 2017

I think this is the first birthday in a long while that I haven’t felt completely sad. Smolder, Sandbar, Ocellus, Yona, and Silverstream actually threw me a real birthday party. It was a lot more cheerful than I could’ve ever imagined. I had the most delicious birthday cake and even a few gifts. I got a new talon sharpener from Ocellus. Silverstream, Yona, and Smolder made me a few of these things called friendship bracelets. They’re actually pretty cool. Sandbar got me this comic about a Griffon who saves his city and becomes a hero. Silverstream was the last to give me her gift. She gave me 16 “Birthday kisses,” eight on each cheek, but she insisted it was an old family tradition that her parents always did with her, although she was blushing slightly as she explained her actions. Honestly, I’m starting to think I’m falling in love with her, but I don’t know how to say it. Even if I did, she’d, sooner or later, find out about my depression and I don’t want her having to put up with that.

November 2, 2017

Have I got a story for you today. Professors Applejack and Rainbow Dash took Sandbar, Smolder, Ocellus, Yona, Silverstream, and me on a teamwork learning field trip, but they got into a competition because they both wanted to win the "Teacher of The Month," award. As you can imagine, Headmare Twilight wasn't pleased and they both ended up having to promise not to compete anymore and actually teach us teamwork. She begrudgingly agreed but chose our next activity: a nature walk. During that said walk, Applejack and Rainbow Dash tried to let the other decide where to go when we came to a fork in the road, but that worked about as well as when they didn't want the other to take the lead and Yona ended up choosing a path out of frustration. Not long after that, we came across a ravine. After even further lack of agreement between Rainbow and Applejack, they eventually decided to build a bridge across the ravine, resulting in yet another disagreement over what to build the bridge out of. Applejack ended up building a bridge out of vines while Rainbow built one out of tree branches. Turned out neither bridge could support much weight, and one eventually collapsed onto the other, causing leaving them both to dangle helplessly over a stream of ravenous Bite-Acudas. Guess who ended up having to come to their rescue? The six of us. Ocellus transformed into a giant bite-acuda to chase the other bite-acudas away while Silverstream and I carried Applejack and Rainbow to safety. Neither of them, unsurprisingly, won the "Teacher of The Month," award. It went to Fluttershy. Again.

It wasn't until after Thanksgiving that the Griffon’s entries showing him becoming sad again.

November 27, 2017

It's not even December yet, and I’m already seeing creatures putting up decorations on buildings and getting together with their loved ones early for the holidays. Seeing families all together having a happy time just makes me want to crawl in bed again and never want to get back up. Even my friends are already getting festive. I’m just in the dark, suffering silently. They don’t know that though, and I hope it stays that way. They don’t deserve to have to endure the burden of dealing with my issues. All I can really do is force a smile and go through the next month one grueling day at a time.

December 1, 2017

December has finally arrived, and the whole school's covered with decorations. It's just making me sadder and sadder by the second. I want to pull another prank to try and ease my struggle, but I've already landed myself in enough trouble with the teachers because of them and I can't remember the last time more than a clawful of students actually laughed at one of my tricks. The holidays are also a time for good will and I've decided that avoiding mischief is really the only way I can contribute to that, but it comes at the expense of my own happiness. Once again, I'm stuck in an emotionally taxing rut with no way out. Why can't this nightmare end just for one year? Why does it always have to be this way?

December 7, 2017

I can’t take this anymore. I’ve never felt so depressed in all my life. In an ordinary situation, the holidays always take their toll on me emotionally, but this is worse. Faking a smile is becoming harder and harder and it adds stress on top of my already dismal state of affairs. That, in turn, is starting to have an effect on my grades. We had a test on Wednesday in Professor Applejack’s class and she handed them back today. Usually, I would’ve studied for this, but because of the holidays my main focus was just trying to get through this month one day at a time. As you can imagine, because I’ve been slacking off, I ended up bombing the test. To make things worse, I’m one of her top students and she confronted me after class about it. I just told her I forgot to study and said it wouldn’t happen again. Thankfully, she accepted my explanation and that was the end of it. With everyone being cheerier here than in Griffonstone and watching more families having a good time than I’ve ever seen before, it’s honestly making me feel like I’m slowly dying inside. I have one last idea in mind to make this holiday season, at least, slightly tolerable, but I have only one shot to make it work. Not only that, but I'd also be breaking my vow that I wouldn't pull any pranks this month.

The teachers all looked mortified as they read over the entry, especially Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Applejack remembered Gallus looking slightly nervous and fiddling with his claws while giving his explanation, but just assumed he was nervous about telling her about forgetting to study. The Apple Farmer mentally chided herself for ignoring a possible warning sign that one of her students was in despair. A small pool of water was forming on the water, courtesy of the teardrops falling off of the face of a now crying Rainbow Dash. Each entry that the others and she read filled her with regret at ever agreeing to go through with that plan, but there was still worse to come.

December 10, 2017

I’ve spent the whole weekend pondering on how to make my situation better and decided to go through with my idea and go back on the promise I made to myself not to pull any pranks for this month. I don’t want to go through with helping Grampa Gruff set up while dealing with even more heartache from missing my family. I want to stay here at the school until it’s finished being set up. Back then, I really had no choice, but to suffer through it. Now, however, I do have a choice. Go back and withstand another torturous session helping Grampa Gruff set up Blue Moon Festival, while feeling alone or stay here and actually try to suck up a couple extra hours of happiness for the first time in nine years. I don’t think Grampa Gruff will be happy about me skipping out, but it’s for his own good. He doesn’t deserve to deal with me, especially for a time that’s supposed to be for joy and happiness. Sometimes, I don’t know why he even considers me his grandson. He honestly deserves better.

Grandpa Gruff looked pale as the last sentence flashed across his vision. He couldn't even believe what he was reading. He couldn't wrap his head around how much Gallus had gone through or how he had missed so many signs. From Gallus’ desire to just stay in bed, to the times the now deceased Griffon had lied about being sick or having allergies to cover up the fact that he had been crying profusely.

December 14, 2017

Well, I’ve got all the supplies I need for the plan. If all goes well, I should hopefully have an extra hour or two with my friends. Wish me luck. I’m going to need it. Sorry for keeping this short. I need to get my bearings tonight.

That was the last entry Gallus had written in his diary. There was a piece of paper taped to the next page and folded in half. Grandpa Gruff unstuck it, unfolded it, and everyone began to read it over.

Friends and teachers

If you’ve found this letter, you’ve, more than likely, found me. You’ve probably also read through my diary and found out about my true colors. I just wanted to be happy for the holidays and all I ended up doing was making everyone else miserable. I don’t blame any of you for being angry or upset with me. My actions have demonstrated that I don’t belong here, or anywhere in the world for that matter. I never did. Throughout my whole life, I’ve been worthless and, as much as I didn’t want to believe it, it would’ve been a trend that continued throughout the course of my existence, and I don’t want any of you to deal with that. Don’t waste your time missing me. Think of how much better your lives will be now that I'm out of the way. I’m sorry for everything I’ve put you all through. I just couldn’t take it anymore. I just hope your holidays are happier than mine would have been and that the new year brings you nothing but good luck. All I ask of you is that you bury me with my family. My Mom, Dad, and sisters are all buried at the Celestial Beach Cemetery, which is located just west of Griffonstone itself. They're all on top of a hill that overlooks the beach and the Celestial Sea. It was our favorite spot to go when it was summertime. Thank you all for opening your hearts and welcoming me inside this place, even though I didn’t deserve any of it. Tell Grampa Gruff I love him. I wish all of you nothing but the best in life. Until we meet again.

Your friend and student, Gallus.

For what felt like forever, everyone just stood frozen in place and teary-eyed as they read the letter over and over again. It didn’t even seem real. Nothing in this situation did.

“That poor Griffon,” whispered Starlight.

Grampa Gruff broke down in a fit of fresh tears. All this time, he was completely oblivious to Gallus’ suffering since the day the old Griffon had taken him in. He had promised to take care of Gallus. Instead, he had failed him. Now, it had led the young Griffon to take his own life.

"How could I have been so blind?" he sobbed.

The others huddled around him and wrapped him in a hug, tears streaming down their own faces. Their festive spirits were now completely crushed. With the investigation now wrapped up, there was nothing for Gallus’ friends to do now except return to their families. They said a tearful goodbye to their teachers, Grampa Gruff, and each other, before walking out of the student dorms.


The moment Sandbar, Yona, Silverstream, Smolder, and Ocellus walked back into the castle, their parents and sibling instantly knew that whatever they uncovered had obviously shaken them up badly.

“Smolder, what happened?” asked Garble, looking down at his sister’s sad face.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Smolder said softly, trying not to break down right there.

Presently, the teachers, Spike, Starlight, and Grampa Gruff walked in after the students. They all looked as shaken up as their loved ones.

“Twilight, why are our kids like this?” asked High Tide, gesturing to the teary-eyed face of her son.

Twilight swallowed hard as she looked at the Hippogriffs, Ponies, Changelings, Yaks, and Dragon that stood before her. She then slowly explained all that they had found in Gallus’ diary, as well as recapping what his suicide note contained.

Everyone just stood there in stunned silence. Staring blankly at the Princess as they processed what they had just heard.

“Thank you all for your patience,” Twilight finished, holding back a sob. “You are all free to go home now. I wish all of you a happy holiday season and happy new year.”

Without another word, the five students were escorted out of the friendship castle by their loved ones for the trip back home.

Twilight and the others just watched them go with looks of sympathy. They knew the holidays weren’t exactly going to be merry for any of them with the death of their friend fresh on their minds.

After the other five had left, Grampa Gruff prepared to leave to go back home as well. Before he did, however, the old Griffon had something he needed to say to Twilight.

“Thank you, for your hospitality, Princess,” he said softly. “I need a few days to digest all of this.”

The Ponies and Spike wrapped him in a hug before the old Griffon spread his wings and flew away. The ponies all watched as Grampa Gruff grew smaller and smaller in the sky until he was gone completely.

With nothing left for the Ponies and Spike to do, they went back to the castle to finish packing up so they could go see their own families for the holidays, but the events from yesterday and today still burned brightly inside their minds.

Author's Note:

Just in case any of you are confused to where the cemetery is: