• Published 27th Feb 2023
  • 306 Views, 78 Comments

Thomas and Friends: Race to the Edge - The Blue EM2

  • ...
3
 78
 306

Stage 5-Reading to Paddington

Hitch locked the reverser to full forward and applied the sanders, followed by released the brakes. "Here we... go!" he said, as the controls were moved to full power. Rebecca surged forward with the coaches moving forward at the same time. The passengers onboard were briefly thrown backwards as the acceleration kicked in.

"What in the world? What does Hitch think he's doing?" Argyle asked.

Sunny recognised what was going on. "Trying to win. He's got a competetive streak, remember?"

The train was now accelerating at an incredible rate. The formation rolled and rattled back and forth as the engine shook. Before long they had reached forty miles an hour, and the needle on the speedometer continued to rise as the train rattled forward.

As the speed roared higher and higher, people on the lineside turned out to cheer them on. Steam and smoke roared high into the air and briefly blotted out the sun as the train thundered by. Misty was relentlessly shovelling coal and managing water supplies to try and ensure optimum steam generation on the run. The sweeping curves allowed them to maintain the sort of run they were attempting.

"How fast are we going?" Rebecca called.

"We're up to seventy!" Hitch called. "Not fast enough!"

With some better management of the engine controls, the locomotive was finally up to speed, and speed continued to climb. They had to make the most of this section as the speed limit would soon drop.

As they flew through another station, the speedometer needle touched ninety. And it was still climbing somehow.

"What is the speed limit?" Hitch called. "Signal indications?"

Misty looked about. "Speed limit is good! First restricting signal for Paddington approaching!"

Hitch was forced to begin slowing down, and brought the regulator back in preparation to apply the brakes for slowing down (and eventually stopping). They rolled efficiently through the crossovers and continued to slow into the station, before coming to a complete stop.

As the train stopped in the platform, Hitch sighed. "I pushed Rebecca to her limit, and it still wasn't enough. Sorry, guys."

Just then, Misty looked out and cheered. "No, Hitch! We've won!"

"What?"

Just then, the three cars roared into the parking lot.

"We've come first!"

Hitch was stunned by this revelation. Somehow they had regained the lead they had lost and won the race.

A few minutes later, he and the rest of the crew had gathered on the platform as the three drivers turned out. "Incredible!" Clive commented. "I have never seen a performance like that in all my career!"

"That was one heroic run," Mark added. "Great job, you lot."

Harris then turned to somebody invisible. "And that race just goes to show that even with modern speed machines in our ownership, sometimes the older technology can outperform it, especially if driven well."

The station staff and passengers had turned out and began cheering, and locomotive drivers began blasting their horns in celebration of Rebecca's victory.

Clive spoke again. "And on that bombshell..."

Author's Note:

Phew! What a race! Fans of motor racing may recognise the inspiration for this; James Hunt's heroic performance at the 1976 Tokyo GP which saw him move up from 5th to 3rd in the final laps of the race (giving him the points he needed to win the Championship).

Have some Eurobeat to listen to along the way.