• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 536 Views, 2 Comments

A Light In The Dark - Umbra Dator



When Syra falls out of the sky into Equestria she must get back home, before things get to bad.

  • ...
2
 2
 536

Chapter 1 : Impact

Author's Note:

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted, but don't worry! I'll be updating way more regularly!

A Light In The Dark

|...|

Syra walked to work. It was just like any other day. The skyscrapers looked down and a general sense of inadequacy followed her. Those who saw her never nodded nor smiled. They simply continued on as if the young girl was not there at all. She continued to walk contemplating life, when the step she took ended in the 'whoosh' of open air not the dull thunk of pavement. Syra fell into darkness and not a whisper was heard from the surrounding crowd.

As Syra fell the darkness swallowed her, it seemed to go on for eternity. Her eyes
strained trying to see something, anything in that vast plane. She twisted and turned, trying to look all around, as she fell through one of many people’s worst nightmares.
Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.’ she thought ‘ What could have happened? I was in the middle of a crowd. Surely someone will help me...’
She finally spotted something, a small pinprick of light,
‘ I must really be dead. How cliché, was there really a light at the end of the tunnel?’

All of a sudden the light was on top of the small girl and she cried out as the light burned her eyes. She threw up her arms to shield her frame from it and uttered word without meaning “contego”.

|...|

Rainbow Dash was clearing the last of the clouds that were above Ponyville as the sun
set behind her. The small town glimmered in the early evening light, revealing the last few ponies finishing up their business. Just as she bucked the last cloud into oblivion she looked up to see a bright light in the sky in front of her, slowly streaming down towards the ground,

"Hmmm... I didn't know there was a meteor shower tonight," she mumbled.
Just as she turned to head home an eardrum shattering, "KABOOOM!!" and shockwave made her tumble before the rainbow maned pegasus leveled again. She saw the meteor explode into pieces and begin to impact the ground, a mile or two outside of town.

"Oh sweet Celestia!" she exclaimed and bolted away into town to spread the news.

|...|

Syra woke to cold and pain, an unusual feeling for one who thought she would wake up in a hospital. She tried to move, but found that her arms and legs are being held by something. She opened her eyes only to find that it made no difference, it was still dark as The Void. She closed her eyes once again and took some deep breaths,

'It's ok, Sy. You just need to calm down and find a way out of this'.
She tried to move her limbs again experimentally, and found that her left arm had a slightly more room to maneuver. She begun to move her arm in the direction of least resistance, which was towards her side, slowly and carefully. When her arm reached about halfway to her side the 'structure' around her groaned and rumbled. The young girl froze hoping against hope that it would stop...it didn’t. It continued to rumble and groan until it gave one last groan and, with a crackling crash, split in half and bathed Syra in sunlight. She gasped and blocked the light with her hand realizing that she had been in that thing longer than she thought. While sitting up she saw that her leg was hurt, yet she strangely felt no pain. As she waited for her eyes to adjust to the new found light she could hear the blowing of the wind in the grass. As she sat she heard some rustling in the grass to her back . Once Syra could see again she look around, in front and to the left of her is a pockmarked, and slightly on fire, field to her right is a small quiet forest. As the young girl tried to stand up to look around in more detail she heard a gasp and faint *pop!*. She turned as fast as she could, almost falling due to her leg, to find nothing but wind blown grass and blue sky.
'Must have imagined it' she thought, not quite believing herself.

|...|

Twilight Sparkle was sitting in her room reading as the sun set outside, shining through the windows and coating the library in a dim light.

' I'm so happy to finally have some time to relax and read without any interru'-- 'KABOOOM!!' --

Twilight tumbled off her bed with a yelp, as both her windows shattered from the shock wave, spreading glass shards and bits of paneling around the room.
"SPIKE!!" she yells hoping for the best. The pattering of small feet could be heard on the stairs, "Are you okay, Twilight?" the small dragon asks popping his head through the door frame.
Twilight nodded as she carefully made her way to the, now ruined, window. "What was that?" she wonders out loud. Her ears perked up as she heard something outside, it sounded like her colorful friend, Rainbow Dash. The purple pony turned to Spike "Stay here!" she commands and, as the young dragon nodded, rushed downstairs and into the less than peaceful street.