• Published 3rd Jul 2023
  • 423 Views, 15 Comments

Chasing the Sky - SnowOriole



Rainbow Dash is soaring ever high, achieving the dreams she's always wished for, catching starlight in her bare palms. As for Applejack? She's only ever been in one place; watching her from where she stands rooted to the ground.

  • ...
2
 15
 423

4- Back to the Starting Line

Applejack had heard of Rainbow Dash before she’d even met her.

Which wasn’t a surprise, really. There wasn’t a soul in CHS who hadn’t heard of Rainbow Dash. Even if you lived under a rock, or didn’t participate in gossip, it was virtually impossible to miss the “colourful punk that refilled all of Mrs Cinch’s red pens with ketchup”, or the “crazy fast first-year athlete that smashed our track record within weeks of joining” in passing murmurs in the hallways. Even though she was been a first year just like Applejack, she had managed to perform stunts so legendary that there was already a series of schoolyard tales spawned about her, to the point that no one could tell which she actually did and which were urban myths. Teachers didn’t know whether to hate her or love her. Every student either wanted to be her friend, wanted to be her, or wanted her.

As for when Applejack actually met Rainbow Dash?

She thought she was a massive jerk.

It had been in the lead-up to a school sports festival in first year, right after Applejack had moved to Canterlot. It had basically been the first school event at CHS that Applejack had experienced since joining. It was an inter-class race: complete four laps around the track in the shortest time possible, and every class had to send a representative. Simple enough. Applejack hadn't volunteered herself, but after her teacher and classmates had enthusiastically nominated her, she'd decided to give it a shot.

That was how she ended up on the stadium track after school hours, the soles of her sneakers scuffing the red track of CHS as she completed lap after lap. It was pretty nice jogging here. The view was alright—with the onset of evening, the setting sun painted the grassy field and the track surrounding it a crisp brilliant gold. Plus, it was a proper track and everything, not like the craggy paths around the lake back home where she always had to watch out for things like crossing snakes and be careful not to slip on patches of moss.

She’d picked the outermost lane of the longer track. She noticed, to her slight displeasure, that she was running kind of slowly; to be fair, it had been a while since she did distance running, but she was confident she would be able to best most of the other contestants with a little oiling of her rusty gears. She wasn’t gunning for first place, anyway, she was just here because her class told her to come.

The finish line of her last lap came into view. Another good day’s work had come to an end. With a contented sigh, Applejack smiled as she began to slow down.

It was then when something smacked against the back of her shins, sending her toppling over the side of the track.

“Whoaaa!—” a strangled noise came out of her. As she tumbled back-first toward the field, her body reacted, twisting around just in time for her hands to whip out in front of her to catch her fall. Her kneecaps were the first to collide with the grass patch next to the track, taking the brunt of the impact, followed by her palms, which smarted instantly with pain.

Still on all fours, Applejack panted, too stunned to even speak. “What in the Sam Hill was that?” she hissed, glancing back in the direction of the track. Then she stopped.

There was a girl standing over her, a white CHS T-shirt and black runners’ shorts clinging to her wiry frame. She looked about the same age as her, fourteen. Her hair fell in choppy waves around her shoulders, which might have been pretty if it weren’t dyed a seizure-inducing number of bright colours, like some magical pegasus’ mane straight out of a cartoon. Most of all, her eyes—wide and fixated on Applejack—shone a strange colour under the rays of the evening sun.

Then, the girl narrowed those eyes and flipped her crazy hair over her shoulder, scoffing.

“Nice catch. I’m using the outermost lane, though,” the student explained matter-of-factly as she brushed off her long legs, “and you were in the way. Soooo… excuse me.”

“......”

At Applejack’s prolonged silence, the girl cocked her head, her eyes flashing. Was she wearing contacts? “Did I not make myself clear?”

“You made yerself plenty clear enough, bless yer heart. But I just have one question,” Applejack deadpanned once she recovered from the sheer audacity. “What the hell?”

“Uh huh,” she agreed with zero change in her tone, glancing impatiently at her watch. “That’s what you get for being in the way. Some of us here have an inter-class race to prepare for, y’know, so don’t slow me down.”

“Hey. I know this may come as a real surprise to you,” Applejack said incredulously, “but there are other people besides ya runnin’ for that inter-class race.” She gestured to herself. “Present company included.”

“Huh. So you are,” Rainbow looked down at her briefly, then looked elsewhere with a dismissive wave of her hand. “Well, you can just give up now that you know I’m in it. Or have fun competing for second place among yourselves.” She squinted at Applejack again as she got up on one knee. “You do know who I am, don’t you?”

Who was she fooling with that god-awful hair? “Yer Rainbow Dash.”

“Heh. That’s me,” a smirk broke out across the girl’s lips. She stretched her arms over her head languidly. “Well, that’s not a surprise. I think everyone knows Rainbow Dash.”

And Applejack just… stared. Because God. Applejack was fairly sure she’d never met someone more full of it in her life, and she was classmates with Rarity.

Rainbow didn’t seem to notice anything wrong, just blinked those incredibly distracting eyes and continued blabbering about all the races she’d won before in her life, or something. Yeah, she was definitely wearing contacts, but they weren’t red like Applejack had thought initially. Her irises looked scarlet at first glance, but upon further scrutiny they appeared more pinkish. But not like the pink of a newborn piglet. They were deeper, more fiery. Applejack couldn’t think of the word to describe them.

Like roses, Applejack decided. Rose-coloured eyes.

“—Yeah, so that was the time I won the national championships. That’ll teach you not to mess with me,” Rainbow finished, huffing and puffing. She even had to pause and catch her breath from all that boasting, which might’ve been funny to Applejack if her knees and palms weren’t still burning in a reminder of the spectacular fall she’d just taken. Then Rainbow looked down at her, narrowing those eyes. “Who are you even, anyway?”

And normally? Applejack would’ve kept it on the down low. She wasn’t one to get riled up over small things, and she really didn’t give a flying hoot about this race, who this girl was or whatever it was she was trying to prove. Plus, she’d just moved into Canterlot, after all, and Miss Cadance had told her to make new friends, not new enemies. But this girl was seriously getting on her nerves, and after months of forcibly biting her tongue and watching her step around others, maybe it had been that kick to her shins that’d broken the final straw upon the camel’s back.

“I’m Applejack,” she stood up and dusted herself off. “Remember that well, because that’s the name of the girl that’s going to beat you in the inter-class race.”

Now, it was Rainbow Dash’s turn to be at a loss for words. For while, she just stared at Applejack, and Applejack stared back at her.

Then she doubled over wheezing, slapping her knees and cackling as if Applejack had just told a particularly hilarious joke. Applejack merely kept watching her, folding her arms as she waited for the girl to finish wiping tears from her cheeks. She supposed that was when Rainbow realised that Applejack was being fully serious.

“Oh yeah?” Rainbow Dash said, sniggering sweetly. “I’d like to see you try, Applejack.”

“Mark yer words, Rainbow Dash.” Applejack spat on her hand and held it out. Rainbow considered it, and for a moment Applejack was scared that she would laugh at it and walk away. But then she smirked, and did the same, splattering her palm with saliva. Reaching out, the slicked fingers of Rainbow Dash clutched against Applejack’s, and together, firmly, they shook hands under the glow of the setting sun.

That, was when everything began.


“You know, I’d be having a fine day. An amazing day, in fact! And then I come down here and see this stupid girl there running with her stupid hat on in the outermost lane.”

“Hey!— M-my hat ain’t stupid! What’s wrong with me wearin’ mah hat while runnin’, huh?” Applejack gripped onto her hat, offended. “Also, there are so many gurl’durn lanes on this here track, why the hell you gotta take the outermost lane?”

It was yet another one of those days. Sunshine blanketed the stadium as two girls chased each other around the track hurling insults at one other, which must’ve been rather the comical sight for any passers-by.

“Uh huh, why do you wanna take the outermost lane so bad, then?”

“Ain’t none of yer dayum business. I got to the track first, so I take whatever lane I want to.”

“Uh, hello? I’m part of the track team, so I get to choose the lane.”

“Now yer just spewin’ bullcrap. Bein’ on the track team dun mean you own the track, go cry to Iron about it.”

Rainbow had nothing to say to that. They went on jogging for a while. Then, just as Applejack had thought the girl had finally shut up for good, Rainbow broke the silence with a lengthy sigh. She glanced at her sharply. “What is it?”

Rainbow just groaned loudly, raking a hand through her garish hair. “I just can’t believe we ran into each other again!”

“Darn, I can’t believe it either,” Applejack rolled her eyes. “Shucks, it’s so unbelievable, next it’ll start raining chocolate.”

“Do you, like,” Rainbow grimaced, eyeing her, “come here specifically to annoy me? Or something?”

“As if I’d want to hear yer non-stop whingin’ on purpose,” Applejack rolled her eyes. “No, I just come when I have the time. Unless you’re the one who’s chompin’ at the bit to pick a fight with someone.”

“Like I’d wanna fight some slowpoke cowgirl who won’t move out of my way. No, I only come here when I feel like it.”

Applejack chuckled dryly. “Reckon we’re just unlucky as all get out, then.”

Rainbow Dash pursed her lips, seemingly in thought. They jogged on in yet another stewing silence.

“So, I had an idea,” Rainbow said finally. “I’ll go on the outermost lane, because you were blocking me that time.‘

Applejack bristled. “Listen, Dash, if you keep that up, I’m really gonna report you to the school-”

“Ah, ah, ah, wait, let me finish,” Rainbow Dash held both her hands up placatingly. “You can run on the second outermost lane. Buuuut… if you catch up to me before the race ends, then you can kick me off the track like what I did to you. Sound fair?” Smugness dripped down her tone, like she was so sure that Applejack would never catch up to her, and oh boy, Applejack had never been so keen on wiping a smirk clean off someone’s face.

“I’ve never heard a more birdbrained idea in my life,” Applejack uttered. “Let’s do it.”

They switched lanes.

“‘Kay then,” Rainbow said, licking her lips as her feet thumped vindictively on the outermost lane. “See you at the finish line… tomorrow!!!!”

Then Rainbow shot off like a bullet, roaring in laughter as she went. Rolling her eyes, Applejack just ran the way she always did, steadily. She kept her sight trained on where Rainbow was at, adjusting her pace accordingly. Predictably, as the run wore on, Rainbow started to get slower, while Applejack began to gain on her. It was a mere matter of minutes before Applejack’s footsteps rang out in unison with Rainbow’s, and Rainbow whipped briefly around to give her a disbelieving look.

“Slowpoke cowgirl, huh?” Applejack smirked as she called out. Another quarter of a round brought her almost on pace with Rainbow who, by then, didn’t dare to look back anymore at the risk of slowing down. A little more, and Applejack would be able to deliver her the roundhouse kick of the century.

“If the outermost lane’s tirin’ you out, sugarcube, we can always switch.”

At that, Rainbow heaved between gasping breaths. “In… your… dreams!”

Rainbow put on a burst of speed, rushing on ahead of Applejack toward the finish line just in sight. In a final, grand leap, she soared across the white line and landed in a heap, rolling about and jubilantly punching the air as Applejack continued jogging over. “Yes! YES! I won!”

Then Applejack lifted her leg, and drove it into her side.

“Aaaaack- oomph- hrrkkk-” Rainbow Dash was sent sprawling into the field, bumping and rolling a few times as she went, before she finally crumpled into the grass—eating a mouthful or two of dirt in the process, Applejack hoped.

Flipping her head up, Rainbow cried out indignantly. “What. The. Buck??!”

“The race ain’t over,” Applejack explained, pausing for a moment to plant her foot back on the ground. “Ya do know that there’s still four laps in the race, right? That there was the third.”

The tiniest of smiles on her face, she jogged past Rainbow as she spluttered, face red with rage.

“Watch your back,” she heard her hollering in that raspy voice of hers, I’ll get you next time!”

“Heheh. Heheheh,” Applejack chuckled to herself, “we’ll see about that.”


“Ready to get your arse royally owned?”

“Only if yer ready to eat my dust.”


“Waaaaaiiieeeee–oof! That hurt, bitch!”


“Till the next time–heh–if there's a next time.”

“Shut up!”


After they’d raced each other a few times, Rainbow gradually learnt not to underestimate her. Which was good, because if there was one thing Applejack hated, it was people holding back on her. There was no point to competing, and even less to winning, if your opponent didn’t play fair—whether it was to your disadvantage, or your advantage.

The first few sessions almost always ended up with at least one of them bruised and scratched all over from all the rough-housing. But in the later sessions, successful kicks became fewer and farther between. As it turned out, there was no better motivation to picking up the pace than hearing the thundering footsteps of someone hot on your heels and the promise of blood on your tongue.

“Yer a mighty good athlete, Rainbow,” Applejack found herself, one day, muttering by Rainbow’s ear as she drew up by her side in one of their races, seconds before she would strike Rainbow in the ribs with her elbow. “I’m just better.”

And like—dang. She must’ve been hanging out with Rainbow too much, because what on God’s green earth had possessed her to say something like that?

This time though, Rainbow just sped up, out of the way of Applejack’s lancing jab. Her complexion was visibly better than from their first race; although it was already the third lap, she didn’t look nearly as pale as before, and her breathing not as ragged. Applejack, too, was finding it much easier to keep pace with Rainbow these days, despite the girl being, admittedly, very fast.

“So long, sucker!” Rainbow stuck her tongue out. “Wanna switch?”

The short story, is that they switched lanes. The long story, is that Rainbow tried to go in front of her, then Applejack tried to go in front of Rainbow, and then they ended up running in a weird looping fashion around each other.

“Oh for Pete’s sake, just lemme go in front,” Applejack rolled her eyes. “It’s not the end of the world.”

“For apples’ sake, I was the one who offered, jerk, let me have this,” Rainbow aggressively cut in front of her another time. Applejack just laughed, and thrusted an arm out to blockade her advance. As she did so, a ridiculous idea bloomed in her brain. Twisting her arms back, she looped her arms around Rainbow's waist and hoisted the surprisingly light girl into the air with ease.

Caught completely off-guard by this turn of events, Rainbow's eyes bugged as she flailed helplessly in her grasp. "What the bu-yaaaaaiiieeeee!" A high-pitched scream pierced through the air as Applejack spun them around, then spun them a few more times for good measure, laughing as the wind whistled past their ears. Finally, the screaming stopped when she relented, plonking Rainbow down on the inner lane.

“There, all settled.” Still jogging, Applejack dusted her hands off, bemused. “Was that so hard? Jesus. You shoulda seen the look on yer face."

"You bucking asshole," Rainbow bit out accusingly, but she too couldn't stifle her giggles. She pushed tangled multicolour strands out of her face, grinning. "You're- you're nuts!"

“Seriously? You’re saying that to me? You?”

“Ahahahahha!” Rainbow cackled, then caught herself as her eyes widened in panic. “Sh-shit! My breathing’s all messed up. I’m not gonna last till the fourth lap now.”

“Your loss.”

“That’s cheating!" she complained. "You’re cheating!”

“Yeah, whatever. Guess I’ll see you at the finish line tomorrow, then,” Applejack flipped her hair over her shoulder and jogged ahead of her, tipping her hat as she went. Rainbow’s gaze honed in on the hat, and that was when she truly, utterly lost it. She slowed to a stop, teetered, then collapsed onto the field, legs sticking up as she howled in laughter. “Bwahahahahha!”

Applejack scowled. “What’s so dayum funny?”

“It’s just,” Rainbow gasped, and Applejack swore she could see literal tears pricking at the corners of her eyes, “I can’t believe you still wear that hat while you run, and now you’re—snkkkt—emoting with it too-”

“Insult the stupid hat one more time and I’ll—” Applejack blinked, a cold horror dawning upon her. “Holy shit. Rainbow. What have you done to me?”

Rainbow didn’t answer anymore, just shrieked hysterically and slapped her tummy, rolling back and forth on the field. Circling back, Applejack soon joined her, sinking her knees into the grass in mortified amusement. And it must’ve been quite the sight, two girls laughing their arses off on the edge of the school field as the night slowly crept upon them.


“Wow,” Rainbow Dash murmured to her as they both stood at the starting line. “Look at all those people.”

Applejack looked over at Rainbow. “You nervous?”

“Nah.” Rose eyes glinted. “I like the pressure.”

The day of the race was here. Applejack could feel her heart pumping harder in her chest as she took in the stands packed full of students, teachers, staff and a handful of outside guests. As the sky was getting dark, some people had also broken out lightsticks, neon flashy beacons in the darkness, while others waved their phones with flashlight switched on. She could pick out her class in the front-row seats, who weren’t exactly going banshee-wild like some of the other classes were, but they were holding up a big orange placard with the words GO APPLEJACK! :). Even Rarity, the classmate with whom she’d formed a tenuous camaraderie in the month so far, looked up briefly from her phone to pretend like she was interested in the slightest at so-called “ruffian” sports. It was pretty sweet.

Meanwhile, the sheer energy pulsating through the stadium was nothing like anything she’d ever experienced before in her village. She could almost feel the adrenaline thrumming physically in her veins, ready to be unleashed at her beck and call. It was an incrediblefeeling.

She smirked. “Who do you think’s gonna win, huh?” She nodded in the direction of the other competitors. They were similarly outfitted in blue-and-yellow CHS tees and tight shorts, while stickers labelled them on the torso and back with their initials and class.

“Psh, definitely not any of these losers. The only one I’m really watching out for is the one called AJ,” Rainbow winked, nudging her in the back where her own initials were stuck on.

Applejack snorted. “Well, if y’ain’t mighty flatterin’, RD. But don’t you go underestimatin’ them all the same. Some of them look pretty strong-like, too.”

It was true. They were all freshmen here, but there were varying standards within their opponents. Some of them tried to look intimidating, putting on airs as they did their warm-ups, but their façade was as see-through as glass. Certain others, though, looked like they would be a real challenge. Particularly, there was one girl, with the letters L.D. plastered on her back. Her sleek aquamarine ponytail swished as she regarded them from afar with calculating yellow eyes. The way she moved, leaned into her stretches, exuded a quiet confidence, like a viper coiling to strike.

That one looked dangerous.

“Well,” Rainbow only beamed from ear to ear. “May the best runner win.”

Following the announcement, everyone finished their warming up. Applejack could hear her heartbeat in her own ears as she crouched down with the rest, the tips of her fingers grazing the white line on the red track that she had come to grow so accustomed to. At the blare of the horn, they were off.

Applejack watched as Rainbow immediately sprang forward like a leopard, clinching a solid headstart in front of everyone else. Well, almost everyone else. The girl that Applejack had been looking out for, L.D., had also whizzed ahead of the group with two, three quick strides, blurring her way in front of Rainbow.

“And Lightning Dust takes the lead! Followed closely by Rainbow Dash!” the commentator’s voice boomed through the speakers, echoing through the stadium. Applejack could almost sense Rainbow’s twitch from where she was all the way behind—she was certain the girl was never used to being anywhere in a race except at the very front. But she didn’t overtake Lightning, though Applejack knew she was capable of it at this point. Instead, Rainbow just let the Lightning Dust girl take over her while she maintained a comfortable distance ahead of everyone else.

Applejack had to admit that her self-restraint was unexpected, but admirable. Guess that girl’s learning, Applejack thought with a trace of satisfaction. Applejack, herself, trailed slightly behind the other competitors, biding her time as always.

One lap, two laps, three. Once Applejack’s head was in the game, she didn’t think of anything else anymore, only kept a subconscious count of the laps passing by. She didn’t even feel stressed at all—like this was just another after-school run with Rainbow, of the many, many after-school runs they’d had. She kept her legs pumping steadily beneath her, relishing in the feel of air rushing past her and letting the cheers of the crowds spur her onwards. Before she’d realised it, it was the final lap, and she had surpassed the majority of the runners that had been ahead of her at the beginning of the race. The only competitors left that she could see ahead of her, were Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust.

They’d passed into the hilly area which the longer track ran over. Half-shrouded in a canopy of trees, there were no stands nor spectators here. The commentatory of the announcer issued from a single portable speaker, the sound scratchy and too distant to be audible. There were some teachers stationed here to watch over the race, and a first aid tent pitched, but other than that, it was much darker and much quieter.

For now, Rainbow was in the lead. In the quiet, Applejack could hear her straining breaths, but Rainbow kept going, sweeping strides of her legs keeping her speeding on. Meanwhile, Lightning Dust pressed on unperturbed, close on her tail.

A little too close, in fact.

Applejack narrowed her eyes. It was hard to see: the only source of light here was a feeble waxing moon, and the electric lamps at regular intervals that cast dim fluorescent-white beams on the darkened track. But Applejack could still make out the rim of Lightning Dust’s figure as she swept in closer and closer to Rainbow, muscles tensing in an odd angle.

Applejack’s jaw dropped. Was she trying to?—

And then Lightning Dust did. Quicker than the blink of an eye, her left leg whipped out in the direction of Rainbow’s shins. Applejack’s breath caught, but Rainbow put on a burst of speed, narrowly evading the assault.

Applejack glanced about, but none of the teachers seemed to have noticed the behaviour. She considered shouting, but the nearest teacher looked out of earshot. Had no one else really seen what had happened?

Well, at least Rainbow managed to avoid her, so maybe nothing more would happen. Or, so Applejack had presumed, because Lightning Dust wasn’t giving up. In spite of her failed first attempt, she inched in closer again to Rainbow, while Applejack could hear Rainbow was only getting more tired. Still no teachers seemed to notice, or bother. Applejack wondered if there were even any cameras filming them here like there were supposed to be, since the commentary didn’t seem to comment on the three of them, only the runners behind them. Even if there were, the footage might be too hard to review, what with the lack of good lighting in this area. They were on their own. Rainbow was on her own.

Not if I have anything to say about it, Applejack thought. Willing more power into her legs, she upped her speed with a renewed strength, hoping to scare her off with witnesses. Meanwhile, Lightning Dust went in for a strike again. Rainbow was not oblivious, either, and she turned her head to bare her teeth at the girl, snapping something at her. Lightning leered at her, saying something back.

As Applejack got closer and closer, a part of her wondered why she was bothering. In fact, maybe she ought to be glad. After all, it was Rainbow Dash who had started this whole kickin’ business, and now she was just getting a taste of her own medicine, wasn’t she? Yet, bizarrely, Applejack didn’t feel a hint of satisfaction as she witnessed the situation unfolding before her. In fact, she felt kind of angry. Lightning wasn’t playing around with a kick like that, and Rainbow could’ve gotten seriously hurt.

Grunting, she banished the thoughts and just summoned even more energy into her legs. The soles of her sneakers were scraping against the track, burning their way faster and faster along as she propelled herself full steam ahead.

Just as she was about to catch up, though, she saw Lightning Dust's leg whip out again, savagely, and Applejack's heartbeat rattled in her ribcage. Rainbow was going way too slow to outspeed this one. Applejack braced herself for the inevitable impact, as a wicked grin spread across Lightning's face. But then something happened.

Rainbow skipped. As in, she jumped– kicked one knee up in the air, then the other, hopping cleanly over Lightning’s lashing leg as it swept under her airborne feet. Applejack watched, amazed, while Lightning Dust looked similarly stupefied. Rainbow, herself, threw her hands up in the air in a victory pump and kept on running. It was then the din of the crowd came crashing back into focus.

The din of the crowd.

The crowd who had seen everything that had just happened.

The three of them had finally emerged from behind the school block and re-entered the official stadium. In her focus, it seemed, Lightning Dust had neglected to notice just how much distance they had covered, and had thusly committed a fatal error. The light of the stadium flooded over the track, just in time to illuminate them—illuminate the truth. Having witnessed the exchange, the crowd was going absolutely crazy, their booes, screams and cheers deafening. There was no hiding what had just happened. Sure enough, the announcer’s voice streamed from the speakers, loud and clear:

"Lightning Dust is disqualified! Lightning Dust, please step off the track."

At that, Lightning complied, stalking off the track with a huff. Which was a good thing, because if she hadn’t, Applejack might’ve just flung her off the track herself, disqualification be damned.

With Lightning Dust now out of the way, Applejack closed the gap easily. Now she and Rainbow Dash were on the very last leg of the race, and in the corner of her eye she could glimpse that familiar bolt of colour streaking alongside her. She could scarcely believe that this was it. This was the end. Their first real, and last race together, ever. It made something in her ache strangely.

“Oooooh! Who’s that new challenger?” The sound of rustling papers over the speakers. “It’s Applejack from class 1702! What an incredible sprint! Look at her go, she’s nearly catching up to Rainbow Dash!”

Applejack narrowed her eyes, and kept thundering her way forward, everything around her all but a blur.

“And now Applejack and Rainbow Dash are neck and neck! But what's this? Applejack's now ahead by a nose!” the commentator bellowed with extreme enthusiasm as a gasp rippled through the crowd. “Oh, wait, now Rainbow Dash is ahead by half a nose.” The crowd screamed in a frenzy. “Or maybe three quarters of a nose. No, about sixty-three point seven percent of a nose! What will happen next? Who’s gonna win?”

Applejack charged forward like her life depended on it.

They crossed the finish line.

“Aaand they BOTH win!!!!!” screamed the commentator. A vague slamming sound ensued over the speakers, sending a blast of static reverberating in the audience’s ears. “So sorry about that, everyone. Oh my gosh, that was waaay too close, I’m going to have to get a replay of that.” A massive digital screen began to play a slowed-down rewind of their shoes clearing the finish line at the same time.“Oh my cherry-chimi-changas, everyone, it was a tie! The first-place winners of the inter-class race are Rainbow Dash and Applejack! Give it up for Rainbow Dash and Applejack!”

Applejack saw her class in the crowd, on their feet and whooping. She waved back at them, grinning awkwardly. Then she turned back to Rainbow.

“Hey, you okay?” Applejack asked.

“Huh?” Rainbow turned to look at her. She dusted off her arms, glowering. “Yeah. Just really mad.” Her scowl was aimed in the direction of Lightning Dust, who was standing in the bleachers. “You think I should go over and give her a piece of my mind?”

“Yer askin’ me?” Applejack’s nostrils flared. “Go ahead.”

Apparently, they didn’t have to go over at all, because Lightning Dust, noticing their gaze, started making her way towards Rainbow. Until, she wasn’t. She walked straight past Rainbow and went up to Applejack, to her great confusion.

“Listen, I don’t know who you are or where you’re from, farm girl,” Lightning Dust sneered at her. “But don’t go around thinking you’re some hot shot for beating me. You only won because I was disqualified. You’d never beat me fair and square.”

“Fair and square?” Applejack arched an eyebrow, affronted. “I’m not sure if you noticed, but you was literally just called out for cheatin’.”

Lightning opened her mouth to say something more, but not before Rainbow shot in front of her, driving the other girl back.

“Listen, bitch,” Rainbow spat, a look of absolute lividness on her face. She swung a finger into her own chest. “If you have anything to say, take it up with me. You first try that shit on the track, and now you’re trying to take it out on my friend? Sheesh, could you get any more pathetic?”

At that, Lightning finally caved in. With a final tch, she spun about on her heel and stalked back towards the bleachers, heavy footsteps thumping until they faded away into the noise of the masses. Rainbow stood with her hands on her hips, glaring after Lightning until she disappeared from view, so she could flip the bird emphatically in her direction.

Then Rainbow Dash finally glanced back at her. “What’re you lookin’ at me like that for? C’mon, we have a trophy to raise.” Before Applejack could reply, she grabbed her wrist and dragged her along to the podium.

They both climbed up to the very top. The concrete block they were on was a little squeezy for two people, but they managed to twist themselves around so they could both fit there. From up here, the whole of the stands were in view, and the blinding fluorescent floodlights shone over them. It made Applejack feel, rather ridiculously, like she was on top of the world.

Then, before she could think about too much, there was a movement from beside her. Clenching onto the cup’s base, Rainbow Dash was beaming at her as she offered Applejack one arm of the trophy, her own hand curling around the other.

“Ready?” Rainbow whispered. “One.”

“Two,” Applejack whispered back.

“Three.”

They both lifted the gleaming golden cup high up above their heads, to the resounding cheers of the crowd.


After that, they both went to a small diner nearby school to celebrate their victory, not quite wanting to go home just yet. At some point, it had started pouring outside, and they listened to the rock music playing in the background and the pattering of the rain against the glass windows as they ate.

“Guess we’re stuck here now,” Rainbow joked across from her in the booth as she skewered a meatball with her fork. Outside, the honking of cars in a traffic jam was muffled by the sound of the storm.

“It sure ain’t lookin’ like it’s gonna let up anytime soon,” Applejack said, biting into a slice of her mushroom pie. The flaky, buttery crust crumbled as her teeth sank in, warm garlicky cheese melting over her tongue. “Hmm… not bad.”

“Yeah. Told you this place was good,” Rainbow smirked, relaxing back against the couch. Her own plate was filled with chicken nuggets, onion rings and other fried goods dripping in grease. Sighing, she hugged herself as she leaned against the window, staring outside at the gloomy sky as the sheets of water slid down the window. “It’s cold.”

“Ain’t it colder when you lean like that?”

“I’m tired,” whined Rainbow as she smooshed her cheek against the fogged-up glass. A visible shudder ran through her, causing her to jerk back, leaving a clear spot on the pane. Wincing in regret, she rubbed her jaw and slumped flat onto the table, sinking down until her head was reduced to a technicolour, splayed-out mop. “Ughhh. That run took everything out of me. I’m done. I’m over. No more.”

Applejack snorted. “It was just four laps, not a marathon.”

“Just four laps,” Rainbow mimicked her sarcastically, but there was no energy behind it, so it sounded like she was agreeing with her.

“Yeah, well, to be fair, yer run was more difficult than usual, shall we say,” Applejack conceded. ”That was a whopper of a kick you nearly done took back there. I was actually tryin’ to catch up to y’all, but I guess you handled it with that neat trick of yers. Why’d you never pull it off before?”

“Yeah, I’m glad I got to finally use it,” Rainbow flashed a grin at her, peeling herself off the table. “It was a thing I’d been working on so I could get my ass kicked less. No thanks to you.” She propped herself up on one elbow. “And hey, you were no less impressive back there. Beating me in a footrace? That’s no easy feat, trust me.”

“Now there, I didn’t beat you none,” Applejack took a sip of her juice. “We tied, remember? Also, Lightning Dust was right. She would’ve been the one winnin’ if she hadn’t been disqualified.” As much as she hated to admit it, it was the truth.

“Yeah, that,” Rainbow’s jaw tightened. “I just don’t understand why. Like, I get that losing sucks. I hate losing. But she was already going to be, at worst, second place. Why would she be so damn competitive over such a small thing?” She seemed to catch the expression on Applejack’s face “...Oh.”

Applejack smiled wryly. “Looks like a pot’s callin’ the kettle black, darling.”

For a moment, Rainbow looked like she was going to argue, but then she sighed, slumping down again. “...You got me. Huh. Guess I really am something of an ass sometimes.”

“Darn right you are.” The moment the words exited Applejack’s mouth, she immediately regretted them. Rainbow did sound like she was trying to apologise. “Uh, I mean, ya ain’t too terrible. Ya could just… afford to work on a lil’ manners. Uh huh. That.” She really had to get her blunt honesty in check sometime.

“Heh. No, you’re right,” Rainbow chuckled mirthlessly, pushing a meatball around in the pool of gravy on her plate. “I was a total ass to you when we first met, and for no good reason, either.” After a pause, she added in a smaller, but uncharacteristically sincere voice. “I’m sorry.”

“Yer forgiven,” Applejack responded easily. She smiled a little. "You know what's funny? I would’ve just let you have the outermost lane if you'd just asked nicely. The lane I was runnin' in didn't matter to me all that much."

Rainbow gaped, a face of utter betrayal. "Then why didn't you??"

"Because, you didn't ask nicely," Applejack snickered.

Rainbow groaned. "So you're telling me I roped you into that whole kicking contest for nothing? Your kicks hurt like hell, you know that?" She winced, rubbing a spot on her leg under the table.

"Heh. Sorry about that, even if you were the one who started it. I'm still sore in a couple of places myself, if it makes ya feel any better." Applejack set her drink down. "...Can't say I regret none of it, though."

Rainbow cocked her head. "Regret none of what?"

"That we met this way," Applejack rubbed her neck. "Reckon this might sound mighty strange, but that was the most fun I've had since comin' here. I’d forgotten just how much dang fun it is to just cast aside decorum an’ roll about in the mud a little.”

"Oh. Wait,” Rainbow squinted at her. “Did you just say you weren't from here? Where are you from?"

"Uhh, yeah. I just moved in this year,” Applejack nodded. “Well, move in isn’t the right word. I still go home everyday from school. I’m from a village down south.”

“Which?”

“It doesn’t have an actual name.” There was no reason for it to have one; villages only needed names if they often had to be introduced to someone, and people didn’t leave or come to their village enough for that. “We do have a kind-of unofficial name, though. Ponyville. ‘Cause, historically speakin’, there used to be a lot of ‘em ponies in the area.”

“Cute,” Rainbow said. She swirled her own cup—Pepsi—and took a gulp, smacking her lips. “You know, I’m not from here either.”

“Yer not?” Applejack was surprised. Rainbow had seemed like she’d lived and breathed the city all her life, and not only because of her gaudy dyed hair.

“Yeah,” Rainbow grinned. Shuffling around, she proudly showed Applejack her haversack, where a metal badge engraved a circle and clouds was pinned. Applejack wasn’t good with state flags, but she recognised this one. It was one of the most prominent, after all.

“Cloudsdale?” Applejack said, jaw dropping. That explained it. “That’s a mighty happenin’ city, isn’t it? Why’d you move here?”

Rainbow shrugged. “I got bored.”

“You- you just up an’ moved cities because you were bored?” Applejack was stupefied. “What about yer family? They just said okay?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow said it like it was nothing. She popped a nugget into her mouth. “I mean, it wasn’t like my whole family was moving, just me. I stay on campus, and go back during the weekend, breaks, or if there’s something important happening back home.” She kept chewing as she talked. “And you? Why’d you move to Canterlot?”

“I…” Applejack hesitated, searching for the right words. “Reckon I was lookin’ for somethin’ new, I guess.”

“Ohh. So you were bored, too!” Rainbow grinned, eyes twinkling. “I get it.”

“Now, I didn’t get bored none,” Applejack said defensively. “I just wanted to explore new horizons. There ain’t nothin’ wrong with that!”

“Didn’t say there was anything wrong with that,” Rainbow said, holding up her hands. She then leaned forward. “So, did you find what you were looking for?”

Applejack thought for a while. Outside, the downpour continued unabated, the sound of the rain a low murmur by her ear. It made her think of her first day here, when it had rained similarly. The tiny umbrella she'd brought with her had done little to protect her from the drenching sheets of water, and she'd felt nothing short of miserable. Then, there had been being trapped in a back alley in the heart of Canterlot, her only exit blocked by a group of sneering muggers. Even when nothing horrible was happening, her days were often pervaded with an overwhelming sense of homesickness as she plodded in the hallways, surrounded by gaggles of students that looked and talked nothing like her.

But at the same time, there'd also been moments, like her first almost-magical ride on the subway. How she'd felt like exploring the shops, marvelling at the colossal digital screens, towering buildings, and the rows and rows of products right at her fingertips. The kindness that Ms Cadance, Rarity, and her other classmates had shown her time and time again. And lastly, the long after-school runs, filled with so much laughter and dumb banter that it made her forget she had ever longed to give it all up and leave.

“I mean… for sure, everythin’s really new, alright," Applejack admitted with an exhale. "At first, I was scared that I hadn’t made the right choice. But after today, I certainly don’t think it was the wrong one.” Then, mustering up the courage, she asked the question that had been on her mind all evening. “Did you, by any chance… mean what you said back there?”

“Uhh…” Rainbow scratched her head awkwardly. “What exactly did I say back there?”

“To Lightning Dust,” Applejack lifted her eyes to meet hers. “You said we were, uh, friends.”

“Ohh,” Rainbow scrunched her nose. “Aren’t we? I mean, well, unless you don’t think so. Then… whew…” Her face fell a little, “that’s awkward.”

“No, not at all!” Applejack said quickly. “I was just surprised, is all.”

“Oh!” Rainbow perked up. “So, you don’t mind being friends?”

“Of course I wouldn’t mind,” Applejack chuckled. “I mean, yer still a jerk, dun get me wrong. But I would love to be friends, Rainbow Dash.”

“Great,” Rainbow grinned along. And just like that, despite the cold air, Applejack felt warm all of a sudden. The heavy thrumming against the roof faded, faded, then ceased.

“Hey, look,” Rainbow pointed out the window. “The rain’s stopped.”

Applejack turned to see. Sure enough, the thick, dark clouds had broken away to reveal a clear night sky, bathed in the faint white glow of the city. The only droplets left were the ones clinging to the glass panes.

Applejack hummed, standing up. “Let’s go home, shall we?”


The road outside was slippery. The sidewalk was filled with puddles, the reflections of streetlight pooling neon beneath their squelching sneakers. The air, freezing cold; caused both their breaths to puff into clouds as they walked side by side, shivering in their coats. This was a fairly quiet area, so by this hour, there was basically no one else roaming out and about, especially not after the weather that had just ensued. Only the occasional car sped past them, and they were careful to avoid getting splashed by the muddy rainwater that spurted upwards as it did.

“Oh jeez, it’s late,” Rainbow glanced at her watch. Having no watch, Applejack peered over to look. It was a digital watch, displaying the numbers 21:08 when Rainbow held down on the button for light. “Are your parents picking you up or something?”

“.........Nah,” Applejack said. “Are yours?”

“Nope. Which bus are you taking?”

“Uh… none of ‘em. I drive myself home.”

“You drive??” Rainbow gasped. “But you’re fourteen!”

“Yeah, uh,” Applejack scratched the back of her neck nervously, “dun tell no one ‘bout it. I know it’s not technically legal, but I promise I know how to drive—safely, I mean. Back in my village, we learn to drive the tractors as young as ten.”

“Are you kidding me? That is so cool. I’d never tell anyone your secret, I promise,” Rainbow put a fist over her heart and jumped up and down, announcing loudly to the quiet street. “I, Rainbow Dash, swear I will never tell anyone that Applejack can—

Shhhhhh!” Applejack half-screamed, glancing about furtively. “Don’t say it out loud!”

Rainbow giggled, dropping her fist. “Juuuust kidding.”

“Rainbow Daaash,” Applejack pressed her face into her palms and moaned, “You nearly done gave me a heart attack!”

“C’mon, AJ,” Rainbow gave her a flippant little wave. “I’d never get a friend in trouble like that!”

A friend. The words tingled warmly in her heart, and despite herself, Applejack found herself grinning along. Playfully, she slapped Rainbow’s back. “Yeah. But don’t you dare pull somethin’ like that again.”

“No promises on that one,” she winked. She stuffed her hands into the pockets of her parka, exhaling a puff of fog. “So where’s your ride? Actually, what’s your ride? Oh, wait,” she leaned in, hissing into Applejack’s ear. “Do you drive a Ferrari? Please tell me you drive a Ferrari. I’ve always wanted to see one in real life.”

“Mate, do ya think y’all see Ferraris rollin’ around in the countryside?” Applejack huffed with vague amusement. “Anyway, I parked it back at school. I’m just gonna be takin’ the same bus we took here back.”

“Oh, cool beans,” Rainbow yawned. “Pity it’s the weekend, or else I’d be able to come along to see your Ferrari.”

“T’ain’t no Ferrari, though. It’s a delivery van.”

“Ferrari van,” Rainbow Dash compromised. “Take me for a ride sometime, will ya?”

“Maybe, if you really wanna ride a rusty old pick-up truck sooo darn badly,” Applejack chuckled.

“Nice.” She perked up as they rounded a corner on the pavement. “Oh, there’s the bus stop. Should have both our buses.” They found a mostly dry bench and sat down. After they did so, she gazed at the sky for a while—and then, all of a sudden, her eyes lit up. “Holy shit.”

“What is it?”

Rainbow was rocking her legs back and forth, almost falling off the bench in excitement as she pointed up. Applejack craned her neck to look. Up, up and above, wispy clouds framed a single, glowing star, a pinprick of light shimmering in the darkness.

“It’s a star,” Applejack stated.

“Yeah!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, nodding fervently. “Isn’t it awesome?”

“But there’s only one of it,” Applejack said, unimpressed. She shifted as she sat. “Back in my home, there are way more. Like, the whole sky is filled with so many, you can’t even count ‘em without losing track at some point or ‘nother. Compared to that, this is nothin’.”

“But it’s a star all the same,” Rainbow frowned, pensive. “Besides, if there are so many stars, you get distracted because you don’t know which one to look at. But if it’s just one, big black sky, everyone is just looking at that one star, right? It’s more special.”

Applejack shrugged. “I dunno. I think when you can see all the stars together, they form a far more beautiful picture combined than if there were just one on its lonesome.”

Rainbow appeared to give it some thought, tapping her chin. “Yeah… I suppose if there were only one star up there, it would get lonely.”

“The other stars are there too, just that you can’t see them,” Applejack said, gesturing around them at the street signs and lamps. “It’s all this darn city light coverin’ them up. Light pollution, an’ all that.”

“They don’t shine as bright,” Rainbow inhaled. “But they’re there.” She smirked, drumming her fingers on the bench. “They won’t hide from me for long, though. ‘Cause someday, I’m going to be flying amongst them.”

Applejack quirked an eyebrow, turning to look at her. “Whatever do you mean by that?”

“You’ll see,” Rainbow Dash stood up at the sound of an approaching engine. “Oh, my bus is here.”

“Wait,” Applejack blurted. “Do you- uh- wanna keep in touch or somethin’?” She fumbled for her phone in her coat pockets as the bus rolled to a stop in front of them, feeling a little stupid. They’d been talking all this while, and yet they hadn’t even exchanged their numbers. She wanted to hold on to this. She didn’t want this to end here.

It was then, when she felt a hand placed gently on hers, and her head snapped up. Rainbow Dash was looking at her, the lights from the city splashing over her visage, and the multiple hues of her hair looked much softer, mellower than Applejack could’ve imagined before.

“Don’t worry about it, AJ,” she promised her, rose eyes dancing. “I’ll see you again!”

But how? Applejack wanted to ask, but somehow, looking at her, she knew that she could believe in her word. So she stopped fumbling about, and let Rainbow Dash step onto the bus. Raising a hand, Rainbow Dash grinned and gave her a two-fingered salute.

“See you again, Rainbow Dash,” Applejack called after her. Slipping her hat from her head, she pressed it to her chest in her own farewell, and breathed as the doors slid closed.

And then she smiled, too.