• Published 2nd Oct 2022
  • 77 Views, 2 Comments

Fab the Filly - MilitaryArtist



Story about the life of a filly, her actions and understanding of the brutal world that is the industrial era of the Fatherland.

  • ...
 2
 77

The Prologue

Author's Note:

Feel free to comment anything you think about this work. I will gladly read your opinions and perhaps reply back.

Hi dear reader. I'm hopeful you can't wait to read and travel the journey that is Fab's life. Although I would gladly tell you all from the beginning, I must first show you what happened many moons before Fab was born and few moons after, for you will only understand Fab if you'll understand her parents. And not just parents, but the ones that came before as well as they are the ones paving the way (good or bad) for the offsprings to come. Now let's get into it.

Fab's Ma and Pa were in their youth an heirs of two rich landowning families in the countryside right next to the Manebridge. Never seeing a working day in their life, they both lived a very happy and similar life - and that's perhaps why they got along so well the first time they met. Both parents of these two were all to busy with managing their property and settling disputes of which they were many and also the main source of new land. Who's going to defend a tiny peasant's land against a rich landlord after all? Despite being rarely with their foals, they supplied them with a lot of money alongside the mansion they were living in and they were great in economic management of their property - at times even going so far as to give farmers, working on their now former land, some extra coin for payment. Both families have been very powerful since the recorded first houses sprang there and all members were pushed by numerous harsh conditions and their predecessors' success to outdo those predecessors. As the wealth got bigger and life more luxurious however, that spirit was slowly fading away and it was the most visible in Pa and Ma. Keep in mind that their parents were at that point more of an exception rather than the rule.

As foals, Ma and Pa got used to living alone very quickly. Both families had servants which were to be commanded even the hardest requests. Both mansions were in a constant flux with business pones, visitors and merchants going in and out. The food was never a concern and free time was plenty. With age, those luxuries never went away and with little to no control from parents, they didn't have much to do and never acquired the same drive for success as their parents. When they were both mature enough to start going out to parties, they met and like stated before - got along immediately. The moment they announced the marriage, Pa's parents got instantly ecstatic. The marriage would surely bring in a huge dowry! Unfortunately they were wrong. Ma's parents were hesitant to agree on giving away land. After many days of arguments and negotiations they settled on the sum, but in the Ma's parents' eyes it was still too much and in Pa's parents' eyes it was disgracefully low. Because of all that, the marriage was covered in a tense atmosphere in some way and a bad aftertaste for both families. Their parents started to finally give them attention but also to view them as a disgrace to their hard work - a failure.

When everything was settled up, Ma moved to Pa and his family. The amount of luggage being carried across the fields and into the mansion is talked about even to this day. The happy and careless life continued as Pa didn't have any interest in his land, so he just simply gave it away to his father. With additional member added to the household, new staff, furniture and other accessories had to be bought. With the time passing by, parties and grandeur got greater and bills along with them. The already hated Ma got even more flak on herself as the family watched them more and more every day. The water finally slipped over the edge when the couple wanted to organise a grand 1st Year Anniversary of Marriage. The symbolic reminder of that terrible day for the family and above all else, the huge predicted spending got Pa's parents furious and they kicked Ma and Pa out of the mansion with all their belongings confiscated. Ma's parents were even less fond of them and locked the door when they approached. When they laid down under a distant tree, still shocked and confused at what had just happened, a humble and tender-hearted servant sneaked to them and gave some money. Seeing numbness on their faces, the servant silently sneaked back to the mansion without a word.

After that day, they got kicked out of the property entirely and sent into the Manebridge, then still growing working-pony town. There they had had a hard time even deciding what to do, but after some days of living on the streets, decided to buy a very small back-to-back house and eventually got a job in the local coal mine. There they never had good relations with their co-workers, but despite that found out how to get the documents done and so they officially became the residents of that town. Their families entered a long-lasting feud and both stripped them of their successions. With such turbulent changes, the relationship of Ma and Pa weakened drastically as they were becoming increasingly inflamed and disappointed with their lives. And then one day another disaster struck! In their "previous life" they enjoyed in a great number of pleasures. And the fruit of one was going to be a foal.

"Ahh, bollocks! We can't have that bloody thing!" shouted Pa as he was turning red in the face and his blood started boiling.

Had they realized it earlier, they could choose the easy way out. But it was too late and therefore dangerous, so already poor couple was going to struggle even more.

And so a few months later Ma gave birth in their house, very late in the night. It was a filly with beautiful big green eyes, white fur and light orange mane. After some hours had passed and it was still around midnight, Pa realised something. In all their sorrow (or despise) they forgot to give her a name!

"How should we name her?" he asked and Ma, tired from everything chose the first name that appeared in her mind.

"Fab. Her name is going to be Fab," she said and took a rest.

And so Fab got on her four hooves. Despite being the undesired result of careless "fun", her parents took a good care of her. By "good" as in "just enough to survive". This made Fab very thin and weak - a fact to be remembered. In all this bad circumstances, Ma and Pa finally saw something good. The filly was much cheaper to have than expected and they still had some savings left every month. Fab learned to talk and move rather quickly, considering parents rarely talked to her. Now they were not only arguing with each other, but also channelled the anger towards her. With about 4 years passing by, their hatred towards her grew with each day, as they were viewing her as a burden - a mistake. Indeed this filly never chose to be born, but this fact never did anything in Fab's parents' heads.

Whenever there was a lack of money, they would start insulting the filly, "Why, oh why do you exist, you useless prick!"

Fab could only run in the corner and listen. Whenever they stopped, she could either run outside or hold the tears and stay. Had she shown that she's crying, the parents would start insulting her for that as well. And so the life carried on and she was slowly getting closer to her 5th birthday. The day her parents have been long waiting for.