• Published 10th Jun 2023
  • 567 Views, 16 Comments

The Curious Case of Vanishing Unicorns - Virydyan



Unicorns are vanishing across Equestria, prompting the Mane Five to launch an investigation into the matter, but danger is lurking in the wilderness beyond, and just who is the suspicious new pony that Izzy befriends?

  • ...
0
 16
 567

Act 2 - Chapter 3

It was now early evening in the Bridlewood forest, the fading sun's rays shown through the thick branches high above onto the village below, the crystals that grew around started to glow brighter, illuminating the surroundings in their light. The scenery was tranquil, yet the shadows in the background hid the danger that was lurking within, as the distant sounds of heavy still hooves clank about.

It was at this time that in the Crystal Tea House in the middle of the village, a meeting had been taking place between the Mane Five, Alphabittle and a young Unicorn named Jasmine, and Queen Haven with her royal guards. They had been talking about everything that had been going on in recent times with her, including the missing Unicorns, the ambush in the forest from drones, and information about the mysterious "Metal Monster" that they suspected to be behind the Unicorns vanishing without a trace. Queen Haven leaned back on the chair, slowly taking in all the information they had told her, rubbing her hoof under her chin, while the guards provided a cloth to cool her forehead down.

"So, let me get this straight my dears, the Unicorns have been vanishing from Bridlewood for unexplained reasons, but most likely ponynapping, and after you received letters calling for help, you've come here to help Alphabittle in finding them, but on the way you were attacked by a swarm of drones that chased you all the way here, and now after speaking to the little filly over here, you've learned that there is some sort of 'Metal Monster' lurking out in the forest. Am I correct so far?" Said Haven slowly.

The Mane Five and Alphabittle all nodded their heads in agreement.

"But from what she tells me, there are also robot ponies moving around as well, and you suspect that they might be linked to the Metal Monster?" Said Haven to the group.

"It's only speculation at this point, but with all the testimony so far, I wouldn't rule it out." Said Hitch.

"But most importantly, you suspect that somepony is behind all of this, and that it could be a former high ranking official of the Canterlogic company too." Said Haven, who seemed concerned about something.

"That's right, we ruled out Zephyr Heights since we know that by law such drones are forbidden to be manufactured." Said Sunny.

"That is correct my dear, still, it does concern me with how all of this has been going on under our noses, that and one other matter we've had to deal with." Said Haven.

"You mean the private meeting that you had with your daughters?" Said Alphabittle.

"So they told you, did they? The matters of the meeting are strictly royal business only, they were not to mention any details of it!" Said Haven, looking at Zipp and Pipp with disappointment.

"B-b-but mother, we didn't say anything about it at all, only that we had a meeting and that was it!" Said Zipp in protest.

"Say I just thought of something, what if what happened at the meeting is also related to the case going on right now?" Said Hitch to Haven.

"Hmm, well from what you have told me so far, I can only say that there is a small amount of overlap with what was discussed in the meeting, but unless you can provide solid evidence to me that will help prove a connection, I'm afraid I cannot tell you any of the details until then." Said Haven with a serious look.

"Huh? But how will we know what evidence to find? So far we haven't found any solid clues to the case at all, not even hoof tracks, photographs, or even a sample of the drones that attacked us..." Said Hitch dejectedly.

Sunny however, thought about the last thing Hitch had mentioned, as good as photographs might be, a sample of one of the drones or even the robot ponies would be much more valuable a clue to provide, especially if it could lead them to who the culprit is.

"Wait a minute Hitch, that's it! We should try finding a sample of one of the drones and bring it back here for study and examination." Said Sunny excitedly.

"Hey that's not a bad idea Sunny, especially if we can find out where they came from, and who made them, it could be what we need to split this whole mess wide open." Said Hitch, extending a hoof for her to bump, which she did in kind.

"Wait hang on one moment, you two do realize the implications of what you have to do to get a sample right?" Said Pipp worryingly.

"Yes we know, it would mean tracking them down and fighting them, and even though there is a risk of us getting hurt or even captured, it's our only chance to get a clue from them." Hitch said to Pipp.

"Does that mean we will have to smash, bash and crash them just to get a sample?" Said Izzy curiously.

"Ah well, the thing is Izzy, as good as it would be to study their remains and parts, it would be much more valuable if we could capture one of the drones intact." Said Zipp.

"Capture one, but how will we go about doing that? We saw how armed those things are with their laser cannons and fast movement, it'll be tricky to get close to one and take it down, enabling us to capture it." Said Sunny.

"Well, if it helps I could always try using my magic to hold one in place if that will help out." Said Izzy with a smile.

The other ponies seemed to be shaking their heads from the suggestion, Sunny herself understood what they were thinking, she knew that she would have to break the news to Izzy later on before nightfall.

"Still, it's our best bet in getting a lead on the case, we have no choice but to take the fight to the robots." Said Hitch, who was now feeling fired up.

"Sounds like a plan, I'm in." Said Zipp.

The others in the Mane Five all agreed to it too, including Izzy, though the others again seemed to be thinking of something else regarding her.

"Excellent, we'll start planning after dinner." Said Hitch.

"Oh goodness, speak of the devil, I had almost forgotten all about it, Alphie, is the dinner still on dear?" Said Haven to Alphabittle.

"It sure is, but we'll likely need more plates for the guests, they are likely hungry after all they've been through today." Said Alphabittle, who went into the kitchen to get started.

"Hmm, sheriff, there is one thing that I am curious about that you mentioned in our conversation." Said Haven, turning to him.

"Yes, what would that be your highness?" Said Hitch.

"You mentioned that you had a few suspects in mind from the case, can you tell who they are, per chance?" Said Haven.

"Umm, I did say that yes." Said Hitch, who pulled out his notebook and flipped to the page, "The two suspects we have right now are Phyllis Cloverleaf, former head of Canterlogic, and the other a former scientist and chief of R&D at Canterlogic, Dr Altair Wormwood."

Queen Haven raised an eyebrow at the mention of the names, but Hitch couldn't gauge if he had said something important to her, or something else.

"Phyllis and Wormwood huh, the former I know from the incident months ago, but the latter is new to me."

"Well he used to work for Canterlogic, until he was let go for supposedly harbouring a like for Unicorns, but no pony knows for sure what really happened." Said Sunny.

"Is that so? Hmm, and do we know what he's been up to recently?" Said Haven.

"Oh oh oh, I saw him yesterday down at the local junkyard, we bumped into each other while there, talked about some things, then he went off on his way to the woods not far from there, and I haven't seen him since then, but he said he would send me a message when he was available again." Said Izzy.

"Hmm, curious, very curious." Said Haven, who then monitored for her daughters to come to her.

"What is it mother?" Asked Pipp.

The Queen leaned forward and whispered to them, "Meet me upstairs in five minutes, we'll do a reconvening about the meeting there, and remember, no pony must know about what we're looking into, not until we have proof of a connection between it and the case the sheriff is investigating."

"Understood." Said Zipp and Pipp.

Queen Haven smiled, then trotted her way upstairs, but not before giving a wink to Alphabittle, who smiled back, to the sister's confusion.

"So what's the next move then everypony?" Said Izzy eagerly.

"Well, we're gonna start planning our next move after dinner, then I plan to start a stake out later in the night to see if the robots make a move on the village while the others sleep." Said Hitch.

"A stake out, on your own? That's dangerous sheriff, are you sure you know what to do?" Said Zipp, looking worried.

"Sure as pie, but I'll need to find a place to hide out in, not too obvious, but offers good enough views of the whole area." Said Hitch.

"Hmm, the only place in Bridlewood that offers that is the home next to the Crystal Tea House, it has an open upper level balcony for the views." Said Alphabittle, who had been listening in from the kitchen.

"Huh? B-but... that's my home..." Said Jasmine in surprise.

"Ohhh yeah, that's right, you don't mind if Hitchio uses your home for his staking out, right Jasmine?" Izzy said to Jasmine.

Jasmine seemed unsure about it, her father always warned her about welcoming strangers into their house, and with him now gone she was even stricter about it. Still though, as she looked on at Hitch, who was a police officer, and a respected member of the Mane Five, she felt safe with him, just like she did with Izzy. The sheriff held out his hoof to the little Unicorn, gesturing for a hoof shake.

"What do you say little filly, will you help me in setting up my stake out later tonight?" Said Hitch.

Jasmine thought for a few moments, then walked forward and shook the sheriffs hoof.

"Yes, yes I will help you, but you will protect me from the monsters out there, won't you?" Said Jasmine.

"Of course little one, as an officer and a gentlecolt, it's my duty to serve and protect anypony, no matter who they are or what they look like." Said Hitch, clapping a hoof to his chest in bravado.

"Gentlecolt? That's rich." Said a voice behind him, along with some giggles, but Hitch rolled his eyes and ignored it.

"Do you want to come to the house right now to take a look around? It's a bit of a mess, but I'm sure you need it ready for whatever you have planned." Said Jasmine thoughtfully.

"That's a good idea, it sounds like dinner will be ready soon though, so we'd better hurry and make it back on time." Said Hitch.

The two of them then took their leave of the Crystal Tea House to Jasmines home nearby. At the same time, Pipp and Zipp had followed their mother upstairs to have a meeting privately between them, locking the door behind them, leaving Izzy and Sunny on their own for the time being. After a little bit, Izzy hummed a tune to herself as she tried to think of something to pass the time, when she noticed Sunny looking away into the distance, it seemed that something was on her mind again.

"Hey Sunny, what's wrong? You troubled by something on your mind again?" Said Izzy curiously.

Sunny however let out a deep sign, then slowly turned to look at Izzy, she had a sad yet serious look on her face, almost as if she had made a decision in her head just now.

"Izzy listen, can we have a serious talk for a few minutes, just me and you?" Said Sunny.

"Umm, sure, what's the matter?" Said Izzy, unsure what is on Sunny's mind.

She no idea that the conversation they were about to have was going to test their friendship like never before.


Upstairs in the Crystal Tea House, inside what was assumed to be Alphabittle's private lounge, the three members of Pegasus royalty were discussing amongst themselves their own little investigation into an incident that had occurred in Zephyr Heights. Up until now, the details of it had remained top secret to everypony else except the royal family, largely to keep details from leaking out. Now however, with mounting suspicion that the incident in Zephyr Heights and the case in Bridlewood could be related to each other, the three Pegasi were divulging the details openly to each other.

"Huh, so we still have no clue as to what caused the break in at the royal archives to happen in the first place?" Said Zipp to her mother.

The Queen shook her head, "Unfortunately no, the investigation on our end back at home has not produced any decisive results so far."

"But there must be something we must've overlooked, I mean, how could they have just slipped in undetected, hacked our system database, and then fled with little traces remaining?" Said Pipp in disbelief.

"That's the big problem we're facing sis, security camera footage of the scene was tampered with while the crime was taking place, for three whole minutes there was nothing but static on the monitor, and the audio was muted too. As a result, we have no idea who or what was there when the hacking happened." Said Zipp bluntly.

"Whomever it was, they were very clever and crafty, and likely knowledgeable about how security systems operate too." Said Haven thoughtfully.

"Do we at least know what the hacker did while they were there, what were they after?" Pipp asked her mother.

"Well, from what we've found in the history files, it seems to largely be information regarding the geography of the land of Equestria today, maps of known towns and cities that we've found since the reunification happened, as well as details of roads and paths to suspected ruins and places of interest, but... There is else something more troubling that we've found out today." Said Haven, showing a rare sign of concern.

"What is it mother, what has been found?" Said Zipp, not liking the sound of her tone.

"The hacker.... has also downloaded blueprints related to our airships, including a prototype that is currently under development at the royal factory on the industrial plateau below Zephyr Heights." Said Haven slowly.

"Wait what? You mean the ZHSS Cirrus? But that's not due to be completed for another two years yet, due to the new jet engines being developed for it that'll give it much greater speed, and allow it to fly at higher altitudes in the skies." Said Zipp out loud.

"And how did you know about all that, Zipp?" Said Pipp inquisitively.

"Hey, you know me sis, I love to learn about new tech all the time, especially if it's to do with going faster." Said Zipp proudly.

"Anyway dears, this is what worries me the most, if the hacker has the blueprints to our airships, including that prototype, there is no telling what they could do with it." Said Haven.

"What do you mean by that mother? I mean, they're just airships after all, even if they were leaked online on the ponynet, I think it's unlikely anypony could but us could build them, they likely won't have the resources to do so, much less get them flying in the first place." Said Pipp, taking a moment to use her phone.

"That is true dear, if they were planning to use them commercially, but... There is also the other side of the coin that we have to worry about too." Said Haven ominously.

Pipp seemed confused by what she was implying, but Zipp quickly figured it out, leaving her wide eyed and in near disbelief.

"W-Wait! Are you saying that they could use our airships as weapons!?" Shouted Zipp.

"Shush Zephyrina, not so loud." Said Haven severely, "But to answer your question, yes, that is my biggest worry about all this, the blueprints they stole could be used for ill in the wrong hoofs."

The room fell silent as the two sisters slowly let the revelation sink into their heads, they couldn't believe that anypony could use their own technology against them, something that they have long taken advantage of, now suddenly a threat to them. However, it wasn't long before the two began to slowly connect the pieces in their heads about what their mother was getting at, and together the two sisters reached a conclusion.

"Ohhh, I get it now, that's why you were interested in the case that Hitch and we were investigating, you suspected that there might be a connection between the hacking incident in Zephyr Heights, and the Unicorns disappearing in Bridlewood." Said Pipp, reared up on the table in excitement.

"That is correct Pipp, but as I have already said, until we have hard evidence that the two cases are connected, it's only speculation at this point." Said Haven firmly.

"Hmm, that is true." Said Pipp as she got down from the table.

Queen Haven then leans forward to her daughters with a serious expression.

"That being said, I am however concerned about the situation here in Bridlewood, and who might be behind the Unicorns vanishing, if they are using drones and robots as part of their plan as the little filly and you have told us, then it's safe to assume that there could be a link right there." Said Haven, showing worry on her face.

"Ah I see, you suspect that the hacker had used a drone of some kind to disrupt our security systems, allowing them to hack our databases without alerting the security." Said Pipp, who was now realizing what it could mean.

"Exactly, now you see why capturing one of the drones is actually much more important now then it was beforehoof." Said Haven seriously.

"Yes mother, if drones were behind the hack, then if we capture one of them that's hiding out in the forest, we just might find the link we need to tie the two together. " Said Zipp who was now brimming with enthusiasm.

"Exactly sis, this could be just what we need to split the whole thing wide open." Said Pipp, hoofbumping her sis.

"Very good girls, furthermore, we should consider researching into the suspects of the Bridlewood incident, we might also find another link right there." Said Haven.

"Oh yeah, I have been meaning to ask, Zipp, do you think that Phyllis could be behind this whole thing?" Said Pipp seriously.

"Honestly Pipp, I am unsure if she is or not. Even though she held much animosity towards us Pegasi and Unicorns, even making devices designed to capture us, she does seemed to have changed for the better, and with Canterlogic itself no longer in operation, it paints her as unlikely to be the culprit." Said Zipp, browsing through her notes.

"That is true, but don't forget that she willingly allowed her son to carry out that harebrained scheme to destroy us, even helping to build that war machine of his that caused a lot of trouble for us." Said Pipp, who hadn't forgotten the carnage it had wrought.

"Again very good point, still though, even if she did have such resources at her disposal, I'm unsure if she would have the knowledge to carry out such a crime like this, she never really struck me as a mastermind who could orchestrate such events like this." Said Zipp thoughtfully.

"Hmm, I'm afraid I would have to agree with Zephyrina my dear, from my brief meeting with her and observing her latent attitude, I don't think she is that ill disposed to us any more." Said Haven.

"That and we can also rule out her son too, Sprout is currently serving sentence and doing community service around town from his recent antics, and I highly doubt that he is capable of such a plan like this, even if he is actually quite cunning and devious." Said Zipp, remembering his attempts to disrupt the upcoming holiday for Maretime Bay.

"But if that's all true, then that leaves us just one suspect, one whom we haven't even seen yet..." Said Pipp knowingly.

"Dr Wormwood, I know." Said Zipp bluntly.

"From what I can understand, this pony is a scientific genius who worked under Phyllis as her chief of R&D at Canterlogic, and was the brains behind the Unicorn capture devices among others, but around a year ago he was dismissed for supposedly harbouring a like for Unicorns, and has been out of the public eye ever since." Said Haven.

"That's right, as far as me and Pipp know, we've never seen him once in town since the reunification, so we have no idea what he looks like, apart from these older photos of him from newspaper clippings." Said Zipp, who showed them to her mother, depicting a younger looking Wormwood with Phyllis outside Canterlogic.

"Hmm, but if that's the case, then it also doesn't paint him as a likely suspect either if he's been out of the public eye, and has been secretly wanting to be friends with the Unicorns all this time." Said Haven to Zipp.

"That's what I've been thinking, he did meet up with Izzy yesterday at the junkyard, and it sounds like the two of them have hit it off really well, they might end up being best friends over their shared interest in inventing." Said Pipp.

Zipp seemed to be a little deflated over her sister and mother dismissing Wormwood as a possible suspect, but she cleared her throat and kept her cool.

"Hm I guess so, but still... I can't shake off this odd feeling I have about him, and the way he was dismissed from Canterlogic is suspicious as well, I can't help but think that there must be more to that story than meets the eye." Said Zipp.

Pipp seemed to just shrug her shoulders, while Haven didn't seemed that convinced about it.

"Hmm I'm afraid that until then, I still don't see this Wormwood character as the prime suspect Zephyrina, you will need to do more digging around and find proper evidence that he is behind this, if he is at all." Said Haven, dismissing Zipp's claims.

Zipp felt as if she had just wasted her time trying to convince her sister and the queen that Wormwood was a suspect, she was about to speak up when a loud bell rang out from downstairs.

"Oh dear, that must be Alphabittle ringing that, sounds like dinner is ready at last." Said Haven, making her way to the door.

"Yeah I could go for something to eat, after all this running, talking and debating, I need me some good food to fill me up, hay maybe I'll even do a story about it, I'd love for my Pippsqueaks to see what Unicorn food is all about." Said Pipp, also making her way to the door.

Zipp however let out a sigh, then followed after them slowly. She began thinking over in her head if she had been off the mark in suspecting Wormwood as being the one behind the Unicorns disappearing. Despite the evidence to the contrary, she couldn't shake off this gut feeling she had about him, and the rather mysterious circumstances of his firing from Canterlogic as well, it feels like there is something missing here, like a missing piece of the puzzle. Her belly rumbling however knocked her out of her thoughts, realizing that she hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast earlier that day.

"Heh heh, maybe some grub will be just what I need to get back on track, can't work on an empty stomach after all." Said Zipp as she trotted off after them down the steps.

She had little idea at the time that she would be back on track sooner than she was expecting, for the shadows that lurked in the background of the forest would soon make their presence known.


A short time later, the ponies were all sat around the big table in the Crystal Tea House, enjoying the food that Alphabittle had made for them, and from the eager sounds of munching, it sounds like it was worth waiting for.

"Hey, this food is pretty good Alphabittle, what is this salad?" Asked Sunny with a mouthful of food.

"It's a little old recipe handed down to me from my father's father through his fathers father, nothing too fancy or over the top, but it does help fill up the bellies of ponies." Said Alphabittle, tucking into his own meal."

"Ohhh, it's still as good as I remember it!" Said Izzy, eagerly digging into the salad.

"I must say I agree to that Alphie, this salad you made is rather good, very rich yet tender." Said Haven.

"Yeah, exactly what ingredients did you use to make this?" Said Pipp out of curiosity.

"Well, if you are curious to know if you wanted to make it yourself, I basically used some ripened mushrooms that grow in the forest, along with some chopped cucumbers, some special wild roots for an earthy taste, mixed in with a homemade vinaigrette that I made myself, topped with some filly tomatoes, and voila." Said Alphabittle, smiling proudly over his creation.

"Ah I see, no wonder it has such a unique taste." Said Zipp, who didn't seem too keen on the roots.

"That's right, it's flavour is to die for!" Said Izzy.

"Heh, you sure liked that didn't you Izzy? You always liked this meal I made for you, ever since you were a young filly." Said Alphabittle with a smile.

"Hehehe, well duh, you always make it so well, I could eat this three times a day every week, and still enjoy it!" Said Izzy, returning the smile.

Zipp looked on, impressed by the mulberry Unicorns appetite, "That Izzy sure does have an impressive appetite, doesn't she sis?"

"She sure does Zipp, but I doubt she could compete with Hitch in terms of appetite, that stallion could put anypony else to shame when it comes to eating I swear." Said Pipp, who didn't seem to be a fan of the dinner as she had barely eaten much.

"That is true, he's won plenty of pie-eating contests, and the annual Maretime Bay Chug-it-Down Showdown we host every year, I could never compete with him over that, even with the fasting method that I tried one time." Said Sunny humbly.

"Sounds like he has quite the hearty appetite, my kind of customer." Said Alphabittle with a chuckle.

The group continued to eat their fill of food whilst chatting amongst themselves, however, Zipp being the most alert and attentive of the group noticed something that was off, she noticed that Izzy and Sunny were sitting noticeably apart from each other, looking away and not even interacting together. Zipp found that very unusual since the two of them have been almost inseparable since they first met each other in Maretime Bay a few months ago just before the reunification.

Zipp knew something was going on, but before she could start speaking up about it, somepony else suddenly spoke up loudly instead.

"Hey wait a minute everypony, where is Hitch?" Said Pipp suddenly.

The ponies looked around the room, and sure enough Pipp was right, Hitch wasn't at the table, and neither was Jasmine, they saw that he wasn't anywhere in the Crystal Tea House at all.

"Hitch is never late for food, something must be wrong." Said Sunny, who got up from her seat.

"Let's go check out the house that they went into, and see if everything is okay." Said Zipp, who followed after her.

The two of them went up to the front door out of the Crystal Tea House, but just before they had a chance to open it, the door swung up all on it's own, to their surprise, and there in the door way, looking scared and sweating with fear, was the Unicorn filly Jasmine, looking as if she had just seen a ghost.

"Jasmine! We were about to come looking for you and Hitch, is everything okay?" Asked Sunny with concern.

"E-everypony... H-hitch... h-h-he..." Said Jasmine, who struggled to get the words out.

"What? Is Hitch okay? Is he in trouble?" Asked Zipp.

Jasmine again tried to speak up, but again she only babbled her words. Alphabittle could see it, and came to her to try and calm her down.

"Hey now, take deep breaths and calm down Jasmine, then tell us what's going on." Said Alphabittle warmly.

Jasmine shut her eyes and took some deep breaths, after a few moments, she opened up her eyes again.

"E-everypony... H-hitch found it... one of the drones, he found one!" Jasmine half shouted.

"What!? One of the drones is here, right now in the village!?" Said Alphabittle in surprise..

"Oh no! Did they follow us all the way here!?" Said Pipp concernedly.

Zipp went close to Jasmine, nearly nosebooping her, "Where is it Jasmine, where is that drone!?"

"H-hitch is chasing after it right now, he j-j-jumped off the balcony and ran after it as soon as he spotted it hovering near the Crystal Tea House upper windows!" Said Jasmine, trying to keep calm.

"Wait, the upper windows!?" Said Haven."

Before Jasmine could say anymore, there came loud sounds not far away of what sounded like an explosion, and the telltale sounds of laser blasts. Sunny, Zipp, Pipp and Izzy knew those sounds all too well, Hitch might be in trouble, and there was no time to lose.

"Come on everypony, Hitch might be trouble, let's go find him!" Shouted Sunny who ran out of the door in a hurry.

With that, most of the ponies at the table dashed out of the door in pursuit of Hitch, Zipp making sure to grab the Rad-visor before she left knowing it'd be helpful in scanning for the drone, leaving Haven, her royal guards, and Alphabittle behind with Jasmine. who sought comfort in his hooves.

"Well then, I guess that just leaves the two of us then, right Alphie." Said Haven with a bit of a purr.

However while her guards let out a silent groan to themselves, Haven noticed that Alphabittle was looking outside of the open door in the direction that Sunny and her friends went, it seemed that he was thinking of joining them in the pursuit, but he was also hesitant about it, knowing he still had a duty to protect the remaining Unicorns in the village.

"Haven... I feel that I need to go with them, to help them out." Said Alphabittle, turning his head slowly to her.

Haven's eyes went wide, "What!? But what if it turns out to be dangerous Alphie, what if you end up getting injured, or worse captured!? I don't know what I'd do if-"

"Listen to me please, I have to do this." Interrupted Alphabittle, who looked at Haven with a serious expression, "As the leader of the Unicorns in Bridlewood it's my duty to look after them, and keep them safe. I've sat by idly moping about the whole situation and doing nothing about it long enough, and believe me when I say, that I am NOT losing another Unicorn to those things out there in the forest!"

Haven stared at Alphabittle silently with her mouth agape, she knew that she didn't want him to get himself hurt out there facing the threats that lurk in the shadows, but at the same time, after seeing the fires lit in his eyes, she knew that he had to do this, as the leader of the Unicorns in Bridlewood.

She let out a sign, then looked at him deeply, "Very well Alphie, do what you need to do, just make sure you don't do anything too reckless, I'll stay here with the guards to protect the town, you go out there and take them down dear."

Alphabittle smiled, then stood up on his legs, "Thank you Haven, I promise that I won't do anything reckless, or get myself into trouble."

"W-wait, do you want me to come along too?" Asked Jasmine curiously.

"No little one, I think it's better if you stay here with me, last thing we want is for you to get hurt out there." Said Haven, who came over to comfort her.

"Yes that would be a wise idea, besides you've already had enough adventure for one day Jasmine." Said Alphabittle, who gently nudged her to Haven's direction, then he took a deep breath, and looked out the open door, "Now then, onto business!"

The rest of the ponies watched as Alphabittle charged out of the door and into the distance, until he was soon out of sight. There were more sounds of a battle going on in the distance, Jasmine gulped her throat in fear of what was going on, but Haven wrapped a wing around her to try and keep her calm.

"Now now little one, we have to keep strong, for their sake." Said the Queen reassuringly.

"B-but your majesty... are you sure will they be okay?" Said Jasmine, who was very worried them.

"Don't you worry Jasmine, they might be heading into danger, but they are brave ponies, they'll make it back, and hopefully with a clue as to what's going on too." Said Haven, who smiled reassuringly.

Jasmine smiled back to the queen, but she was still worried about the ponies as she looked back at the open door, for she knew there were much worse things than simple drones out there in the forest waiting for them, she hoped deep down that they won't run into them in the pursuit.

"Please be safe friends..." She said to herself silently.


Meanwhile, Hitch was in hot pursuit of the target, he thought to himself how lucky he was to have caught sight of it as it was hovering near the upper windows of the Crystal Tea House, likely spying on the conversation going on between Queen Haven and her daughters. He had taken a mighty leap from the balcony of Jasmine's house to try and grab it in mid air, but unfortunately the drone seemed to have detected him at the last moment and moved just before his hooves could connect to it. Luckily he was able to grab onto a nearby overhang on the building, before jumping down to race after the drone itself before it could escape.

"I ain't letting you escape this time, come back here!" Shouted Hitch.

The drone that was ahead of him turned it's camera like eye back at him, letting off what looked like a glare before suddenly turning left and fleeing in another direction, but Hitch wasn't going to be deterred that easily, he made a sharp turn and kept on the drones tail.

"Hah! That's not going to work you dumb drone, once I have my target set, I ain't stopping until I catch it!" Hitch declared as he began to catch up to it.

The drone kept on making sharp turns to try to escape Hitch, but it was no use, Hitch was on it like a predator chasing after it's next meal. Still though, Hitch felt himself beginning to tire out from all the running and turning, for he hadn't fully recovered from the marathon he had done escaping from another group of drones earlier that day, and it seemed like the drone he was after now wasn't slowing down at all.

"Hah hah... I gotta keep on going, but- hah... I can feel my breath getting shorter and my legs tiring out... Dang it!" Said Hitch in frustration.

The drone took another sharp bend behind a tree, and Hitch was just about to make the same turn when he heard a loud shout from nearby.

"There it is everypony! Catch it, don't let it get away!"

Hitch stopped, he knew that voice anywhere, "Sunny, is that you??"

Sure enough, he saw that Sunny was indeed present, along with the royal Pegasus sisters.

"Hey there Hitch, we're here to help out!" Called Sunny with a wave.

"Whoa heads up!" Called Pipp as she dived into Sunny, knocking her down.

The drone had taken the chance at the distraction to open fire at the group of ponies, it narrowly missed hitting sunny, instead the laser blast hit the tree behind her, leaving a big burn hole inside of it.

"Phew, that was way too close, we don't want ya getting toast do we Sunny?" Said Pipp who helped her back up.

"No indeed, thank you for that Pipp-"

"Sunny, Pipp, come on, it's getting away!" Shouted Zipp as she flew after the fleeing drone.

"Shoot, we better get moving before it escapes." Said Sunny as she galloped after Zipp, followed behind by Pipp and Hitch.

The drone was on the run again, flying away as fast as it could, but Zipp was clearly the faster of the two, and was easily catching up to it. The drone's eye looked behind it again to see that Zipp was within grabbing distance of it, letting off another glare, it suddenly aim it's laser cannon upwards and fired at some overhanging branches up ahead of it.

"Whoa, look out!" Shouted Zipp as she dodged the falling debris, still keeping on target.

The other ponies did their best to dodge too, but a large branch fell down on top of Hitch, stopping him in his tracks with a loud thud.

"Ooof! Oww! Ooh that's gonna smart tomorrow." Hitch whined as he tried to get up.

Sunny and Pipp saw what had happened, and turned around to try and move the branch off of him and help him up, Zipp had also stopped to see what had happened.

"Hitch! Are you okay!?" Shouted Zipp, who was worried if he had been injured.

"I'll be fine Zipp, don't worry about me! Just go, don't let that drone get away!" Hitch shouted at her.

Zipp was conflicted by his order, but she grudgingly nodded at him in agreement, then with a burst of speed she dashed back after the drone in hot pursuit. She was right away back on track to capture the drone, who having noticed her chasing it once again, fired off more laser blasts at the branches above to try and lose her, but Zipp powered through the debris, determined to take the drone down before it could escape.

After what seemed like long minutes of cat and mouse chasing, the drone turned sharply right and entered into a large clearing of the forest, a very familiar clearing at that. Zipp wasn't far behind as she flew into the same area, but as she lunged straight at the drone to try and grab it, it suddenly ducked right under her, nearly making her crash into a nearby big tree in the middle of the clearing.

"W-whoa what the hay!?" She shouted as she just managed to land on the tree bark.

Zipp looked behind her, but her face turned to horror as she saw that the drone was now aiming directly at her with it's laser cannon, luckily she managed to react quickly and dodged the initial blast as it scorched the tree's bark, but she had no time to rest as the drone now actively opened fire at her at every position she dashed to, determined to shoot her down.

"Darn it, I had it in my sights, it was within my hooves, and now it's shooting at me!" Shouted Zipp as she continued to dodge the blasts.

Zipp tried to find an opening to strike back, but the drone continued to open fire at her at every chance, leaving no chance for her to even think about it. However, the drone was so focused on trying to shoot down Zipp that both didn't notice that in the nearby in the shadows, another pony was taking aim with a large rock in it's magic.

"Steady, steady, aim... Fire!" Came a loud shout from the shadows.

The drone had detected the loud noise, but it was going too fast for it to stop in time to dodge a large rock that collided with it, sending it flying into a nearby tree trunk, crashing with a loud smack, leaving it a battered smoking heap. Zipp heard the commotion behind her, and stopped to see what was going on, and immediately spotted the broken down drone laying on the ground in front of the big tree it impacted, along with the rock nearby.

"Whoa, the drone's been totally smashed up, but who did that?" Said Zipp looking around.

"It was me!" Said a voice form the shadows nearby who then trotted forward into the light, it was none other than Izzy Moonbow.

"Izzy! Was that you who shot down that drone using that rock over there!?" Asked Zipp.

"Yup, that was me, I ran off ahead when I saw you and everypony else chasing after it, then I wound up getting lost and soon wondered into the clearing, that's when I spotted it trying to shoot you down, so I took that rock in my magic, waited until it was in my sights, and then let it fly like a slingshot, and I scored a bullseye!" Said Izzy, hopping in place excitedly.

"That was so sick Izz, you took that drone down in one shot, and none too soon, it was doing some serious damage around here." Said Zipp, noticing all the damage it had done to the trees.

"Oh yeah for sure, the last thing we want is a forest fire starting around here, they can be very nasty and dangerous, and to us Unicorns in Bridlewood, it's seen as a bad omen." Said Izzy ominously.

"Wait really? That's news to me." Said Zipp who landed next to her.

"Yeah, but luckily it hasn't happened for about two hundred years now according to Elder Flower, so we should be in the clear of any omens happening anytime soon." Said Izzy with a reassuring smile.

Zipp smiled back, then turned around to examine the drone wreckage behind her. She had nearly forgotten about her Rad-Visor on top of her head that she brought with her after they learned that Hitch was chasing after one of the drones. After inspecting the visor in case it got damaged from the chasing and debris, she now she pulled it down over her eyes and got ready to examine the wreckage in detail.

"Now let's see what makes this robot tick." Said Zipp with a smirk as she activated the visor and got to work.

Izzy meanwhile spotted the rest of the gang looking around for them in the forest, she gave out a whistle and waved to them to signal to come here However as they approached, she became concerned when she noticed Sunny and Pipp carrying Hitch with them together with an improvised bandage on his upper shoulder, that meant he had been injured which made her concerned.

"Oh my gosh, Hitch! Are you okay!?" Exclaimed Izzy who galloped over to him.

"Hey Izz... ughh I'll be okay, that drone took a good shot and made a large branch fall on top of me, luckily nothing is broken, but it looks like I'll be bruising for a few days." Said Hitch as he rubbed his injured shoulder.

"It's lucky that Hitch here is built like a brick, otherwise he might've been in a much worse state than he is currently." Said Sunny, helping him to sit down on a nearby stump.

"I can't believe how much hassle it's been dealing with all these drones, even just one on it's own is a significant threat with all the damage that it has doing to the forest, and my mane... UGGHH, all these leaves and debris just won't leave me alone today!" Whined Pipp, looking at herself in the phone mirror.

"Well, I'm glad that you are all safe, and you don't need to worry about the drone anymore, I shot it down with a bullseye, and Zipp is examining it right now." Said Izzy, nudging her head at the scene behind her.

The group all looked at her wide eyed, then looked at Zipp who was busying using her visor to examine the drone wreckage. They then made their way over to her to see what she had discovered, Hitch being the most eager as he half galloped over, trying to ignore the pain in his shoulder, to see what she had found.

"So this is the drone that was spying on us, it's certainly a lot different from others I've seen at Zephyr Heights." Said Pipp, using her phone to take pictures of it.

"Indeed sis, this drone is not only bigger than the others, it's also armour plated in solid steel, not hard plastic." Said Zipp, who hit her hoof against the wreckage, making a distant clanging sound.

"Whoa, and there is this thing it's been using to attack us, I'm right in guessing that this is a weapon that shoots lasers?" Said Sunny, gently nudging the cannon laying on the ground.

"Oh yeah, this is the real deal Sunny, I mean we saw what kind of damage it could do earlier when we were chased by a whole swarm of these things, and this lone one." Said Zipp, who gently picked it up to scan it.

"Hmm, but who could've made this, and where did they get such weapons from in the first place?" Said Pipp openly.

"I don't know, but I think it's so cool how it can shoot such deadly rays of light that can ZIPP, and BLAM, just like that!" Said Izzy who had snatched the weapon away to examine it, much to Zipp's bemusement.

"Hmm, what do you think Hitch, do you have any ideas?" Asked Sunny.

Hitch had been busy looking over the wreckage very carefully, there wasn't anything on the drone that seemed to identify a manufacturer or whoever made it like a label or indented name, in fact the only thing that did stood out was a logo on the body top, it looked like a cog with a lightning bolt running through it horizontally, Hitch had never seen a logo like that before, he wondered what that could mean.

"Hmm, I wonder what this logo here could mean-

But, before he could finish, there came a loud bang from behind the group, before they had a chance to turn around to see what it was, there was an explosion right where the wreckage was, sending them all reeling away in fright.

"AAAIIIIEEEEE!" Shouted Sunny, Pipp and Izzy.

Luckily Zipp managed to recover quickly and moved to check if the others were okay.

"Is everypony okay!?" Shouted Zipp in concern.

Sunny and Pipp seemed to be okay, but both of their coats were covered in dirt, and Pipp's phone had been broken by the blast, much to her exasperation. Izzy was laying on the ground with her head down in the ground, but she seemed to be fine with no visible injuries. However, Hitch seemed to have taken the full hit of the explosion, his coat and face was covered in soot, and he struggled to get back up on his hooves.

"Hitch, are you okay?" Said Zipp, looking worried at him.

Hitch groaned as he tried to stand back up, but his shoulder still hurt, making it difficult for him to do so.

"Ugghh, I'll live don't worry Zipp, but what happened?" Asked Hitch, still dazed from the explosion.

"There was an explosion just now, and the drone you took down is now pretty much wrecked beyond recognition, there's nothing we can learn from it now." Said Zipp, dusting the dirt off her body.

"Darn it, I thought we'd finally had a lead for this case, now what do we do..." Said Hitch thoughtfully.

"Umm pony's... I think we've got company!" Said Sunny in fright.

The group all looked in Sunny's direction, and right there was the unmistakable silhouette of a pony in the shadow of the trees, only with a single glowing red eye on it's head, and it's hoof like weapon aimed straight at them.

"Look out, it's gonna attack!" Shouted Sunny.

The pony like figure opened fire, shooting a large laser blast straight at the group, but luckily they all managed to dodge out of the way just in time, as the blast hit the tree behind them, blowing it to pieces.

"What in the hay, what is the meaning of this!? Show yourself you villain!" Shouted Pipp.

The pony like figure soon started to trot towards them, making loud metal stomping noises as it did so. As it stepped out into the fading evening light of the sun, the pony's all looked on in shock, there right there, with it's unmistakable robotic appearance, was one of the robot ponies that Jasmine had spoken of to them. The robot pony was easily as big as Alphabittle himself, it's steel body largely coloured carbon black, though some parts of it like it's re-breather like muzzle and limbs were coloured in a dull silver instead, it had no tail other than a stump like part on it's rear, and on top of it's head, was another logo just like on the drone, a cog with a lightning bolt through the middle horizontally.

"So, this is one of the robot ponies that Jasmine warned us about, huh, it's a little bigger than I was expecting." Said Zipp, who had hunched herself into a fighting pose.

"I don't know if we are lucky to have found one, or unlucky to have run into it." Said Sunny wearily.

"I think that it looks pretty awesome to me, you know, if it wasn't trying to kill us." Said Izzy innocently.

"W-what do we do now? Should we try to escape or something!?" Said Pipp, who was trying to get her busted phone working, to no avail.

The robot pony then aimed it's weapon and opened fire again, nearly hitting Hitch who just barely jumped out of the way.

"I don't think it's gonna give us a chance to leave, not without a fight." Said Hitch, wincing at the pain in his shoulder.

The sheriff was about to get into a fighting pose, when he was stopped by a flick of a wing from Zipp.

"You're right Hitch, but I think your better off hanging back this time, you're injured after all, and the last thing we want is for you to get captured, or worse." Said Zipp, lowering her visor over her face.

"Huh!? But what about you girls!? What if you can't beat it-"

"I agree, you need to rest Hitch, leave this robot pony to us." Said Sunny, putting on her roller blading helmet.

"Zipp is right Hitch, you need to hang back this time, we'll take care of this bucket of bolts no problem." Said Pipp, who looked at the robot, smacking her front hooves together, "Plus, no dumb robot breaks my phone, and gets away with it!"

"Good thing I always come prepared for a battle." Said Izzy who had also put on her helmet, along with painting camo marks along her cheeks, to Hitch's confusion.

"Ready everypony? Attack!" Yelled Sunny as she galloped forward.

Hitch looked on as the rest of the Mane Five charged straight at the robot, who responded by firing off more laser blasts towards them in rapid succession. However, little did the ponies know was that the robot pony was not alone in the forest, for other robots had detected the commotion that was going on, and were now closing in on their position fast.

This battle would soon turn into a big fight for their lives.

Author's Note:

[EDIT: This chapter has received a bit of a rewrite, I felt the last part of this story with the explosion ended up being a little too violent for the current rating, so i've toned it down and edited it out and replaced it with a new scene. I hope that it still helps sell the danger that I was conveying with the robot pony.]

Here we are folks, I said last time that we are starting to get into the meat of the story now, and now we have our first big fight happening! This is something I've been itching to get into ever since I first started planning out the story late last year, from now on expect more excitement as revelations get revealed, bodies get bruised, and the plot moving faster, as we start to head towards the climax of Act 2, trust me when I say that things are only going to get bigger and more dramatic from here on out!