• Published 17th Oct 2022
  • 1,240 Views, 31 Comments

A Reckless Mare - TangyTango



Turns out the EUP isn't all it's cracked up to be. Reckless isn't satisfied

  • ...
5
 31
 1,240

Crybaby

The air is thick with tension and anticipation. Anon’s hands firmly wrapped around the table, nearly snapping a corner off. Reckless scratches her head. Then simply leans forward, hoof holding a dominating presence over the table

“Think can win Anon? No.”

Before Anon could even get out a groan, Reckless utterly demolishes his advance.

“Checkmated, I win!”

“That’s bullshit! It hasn’t even been ten moves, then you go and pull something like that?”

“No no, it been twelve moves, Anon.”

“What does that possibly change!?” Anon’s face is beet-red. If somepony were to pull on his ear; smoke and steam would begin to billow.

“Oh, calm yourself, big baby. Just game, game that happen to not be good at.” Reckless has a shit-eating smirk firmly planted on her face, sticking her tongue out toward Anon.

Anonymous knew this game too well, and there was no winning it. “It’s been a horrible game, Reckless, as always. I’m gonna grab some lunch. See you later Reckless” Anon extends his hand toward the not-so-small Reckless. Reckless, in turn, moves her hoof into a han– hoofshake? Either way, Anon was now out of the room.

Reckless now had another problem; the existential dread of boredom. She’s been experiencing two years of it on Equus. The twenty-four karat cogs of the Equestrian Unicorn Pegasus Defensive group had stubborn rocks clogging the machinery. The EUP couldn’t protect a chicken coop; it is a laughingstock of the populace. Even the Royal Guard was seen as an escort in only the euphemistic sense.

This was far from the glory that Reckless expected, and further yet from the prestige of the Marine Corps she once had the honor of serving in. Her arrival was met with quite a bit of intrigue by the Royal Sisters, at first. A mysterious warhorse? Right around the same time as a human? The entirety of Equus was following the story with bated breath. Just as with any thrilling new media, it was moved to the back burner. Reckless is now stuck in a practically useless enlisted rank. Her stories are constantly called out as bullshit by anybody other than Anonymous.

Not quite the same shape as a regular Equestrian, not quite the same height, and with a horrible grasp on ‘Ponish’. It was a paradise for many and a hell for Reckless. Even Anon was lucky enough for his English to line up perfectly with their language.

Today is the day though. The day to request a transfer into an actual post. NCOs were non-existent in the EUP; just about every order went through the Captain of the Guard, then flew out through the Royal Sisters. The process was slow, infuriating, and led to hilarious mix-ups when it came to postings across Equestria. In fact, parchment got so smudged in the transfer across levels of command that the required number of officials needed in a location was often off by an entire factor.

Reckless mouths out a few words in Korean, she takes a moment to collect her composure, before exiting the room.

Author's Note:

I always like making a short intro in everything I make. Gives people an out if the content isn't going to line up with expectation. Here's to hoping you stay